Is it okay to say the N-word while roleplaying as a black character?

Is it okay to say the N-word while roleplaying as a black character?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_Vernacular_English
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Who are you roleplaying with?

It probably depends more on the group than anything.

It would be utterly tasteless, at a bare minimum.

Pewpiedie saying nigger was the modern version of MLK's I have a dream speech.

Do you like authenticity?

Depends on the setting.

This, it makes you sound like you're one of those "okay, but what if there was a fire and I was in mortal danger? could I say it THEN?" white 13-year-olds who listen to gangsta rap too much.

Besides, AAVE opens you up to many more colorful phrases and word choices than just constantly shouting "nigger :-DD."

What would it bring to your character if your black character went about saying nomothetical?

Before you can answer that, you have to ask yourself if it's okay to roleplay as a black person.

I think it would be tasteless, at a minimum, as we stand now socially. Maybe in the future?

This is actually a pretty damn interesting idea, OP. Good thread.

This, essentially. There are ways to imitate black American speech idiosyncracies without saying "nigga" or "nigger".

I think you could apply this to any sort of roleplay. At a certain level of realism, you're either acting or being a stereotype no matter who you decide to roleplay as. You have to decide if your acting skills are good enough to not be stereotypical and to feel authentic. If not, you can accept that you're imitating life and not attempting to recreate it.

Sounds like cultural appropriation to me.

Would it be wrong for a black person to say the n word if he was roleplaying as a white character?

Would it be white for a black person to say the n word when roleplaying a lettuce?

Is it okay to say the N-word while roleplaying as a character who hates niggers?

Only if you're willing to call white characters honkeys and white bois.
>t. White guy

>Besides, AAVE opens you up to many more colorful phrases and word choices than just constantly shouting "nigger :-DD."
>implying OP is smart enough to use AAVE

>AAVE

>"What the fuck is AAVE?"
>*googles it*

oh, you mean ebonics

that's what we called Nigger Mouth after we stopped calling it Nigger Mouth

Nigger, there's only two possible situtations:
>You're playing with friends
In which case it's always okay to say nigger, your friends won't give a shit about saying nigger, fag, cunt, jew, or whatever. Chances are, they say that kind of shit themselves.
>You're playing with strangers,
In which case, you can't say nigger, fag, or any bad word. Shit, you should probably avoid swearing too, never know when some guy might get offended at "bad" words. There was one guy I played with during one of those "D&D game days" WotC used to do where some dude got offended at me saying "goddamn".

And also, if you're on Veeky Forums, it's always okay to be as racist as possible. You get many (you) currencies that way, depending on board.
Might get you banned on /co/ tho but that place might as well be tumblr anyway.

I'm white and I call people (my bf) white boi all the time
oh no, am I one of those transniggers?

Tasteless and unnecessary

There's more to black vernacular than the word nigga or nigger
You sound like a dub right now. Don't bait like a skunt

If you also don't know the difference then crucify yourself at your earliest inconvenience
And on a last note it also depends on the people your playing with

T. A black

I don't know who started this white boy with an "I" thing but i have literally bever heard anybody say it in all my life

>Might get you banned on /co/ tho but that place might as well be tumblr anyway.

/mu/ is filled with ultra-liberal teenagers too

>AAVE
You wot m8

>I don't know who started this white boy with an "I" thing but i have literally bever heard anybody say it in all my life
Because it's pronounced the same way, you simpleton.

nigger

are you one of them black nerds I've heard about but never seen?

Since when is 'jew' the equivalent of nigger? What do you call jews in polite conversation?

African American Vernacular English; aka Jive, Ebonics
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_Vernacular_English
It's good shit. i love the simplified is/be/are the best. I be, She be, We be, it be. So much better than multiple words for the same verb depending on tense and subject.

>N-word
you can say nigga on Veeky Forums m8
just don't say it in public
btw unless you're british, don't say cunt in public either

On TV? Maybe 40 years ago?

>What do you call jews in polite conversation?

You call them (((Jews)))

>"What the fuck is AAVE?"
>*googles it*
>oh, you mean ebonics

Nope, but thanks for trying.

As a non-american, it sounds pretty awful (plus I can't understand it at all when it's spoken), but I guess it's an acquired taste

Best thread

What if you're Australian cunt?

>What do you call jews in polite conversation?
you just don't.
Like seriously, if you ask someone "hey, you're a jew, right?" like you'd ask "hey, you're a christian/budhist/muslim/whatever, right?" it sounds offensive. Don't ask me why.

australians are just british upside down

I have heard someone use the phrase "white boi" last week in person. I see all sorts of stupid shit in my dead-end retail job.

Okay, but there are more uses of the word "jew" than just asking "are you a jew?" History at least would be a little difficult to discuss without it.

I don't see why not, unless you're not roleplaying the type of black person to say it.

Speaking firsthand as a white person born into a poor black ghetto, blacks have no problem with hearing nigga when it comes from the mouth of either a fellow black or a close white friend of similar circumstance. The only real exception I've ever seen to this was from some older blacks, who thought the word should be dropped from usage altogether.

Also, that AAVE stuff is largely accurate to speech patterns among poor urban blacks, but I find the sentiment behind it to be racist as fuck. It should be treated for what it is, a subpar understanding of proper English. If you give it a pass, you presume blacks can't learn speech as well inherently.

The only thing to discuss about the Jews is how horrible the Holocaust was to them!

you are correct, of course, but jew is just one of those words you have to be careful when using.
For example, never say GAS ALL THE JEWS in polite company, it might be problematic.

Because jews are the most nepotist people on the planet and they dominate the US media and use that domination for jewish interests.

There's just too many truths about jews which are at the same time undeniable and can only be uttered by Nazis. So better to not speak of it at all, lest you be branded one.

It's the closest dialect to my own so it's really easy for me. I love how snappy it is and how you know it when you hear immediately. Also a lot of American slang comes from it. It's also fun to use. My friends and I will switch to it when we're fucked up and want to fuck with people.

I guess. A lot of black people have openly nerdy interests

Most people who use "Ebonics" have a decent understanding of the English vocabulary Ebonics is just quicker and something we grew up with so we use. It's basically just like patois
A good portion of Carribeans do the same and you'd be surprised at how many people have Carribean roots than """""""""""""African American"""""""""""""

Oh, I understand that, I tend to fall back on it myself when I'm not in polite company. The problem I find is the way it's fetishized by would-be scholars and academics who have no understanding of it beyond that one time they put on a Wu Tang album.

why is "person of color" (which is what I assume PoC means anyway) is not offensive but "coloured" is?

nice argument, nigger

Colored is a direct reference to jim crow era and before

>As a non-american, it sounds pretty awful

as an American, we hate nigger noise too

>(plus I can't understand it at all when it's spoken)

exactly

Nah dawg, "proper" grammar in English is a racist social construct originally introduced by upper east coast elites to distinguish themselves as superior to immigrants, blacks, and southerners. English has no official Council of Language unlike French, German, and Spanish. So their isn't a cabal of people who determine what is and is not English and how the grammar works. The only thing that determines if you are speaking proper English is if a native speaker can understand what you are saying. It is also silly to try to impose a proper order on English since it is such a grab bag of other languages split across 3 to 5 branches of major dialects further subdivided into some 20 to 40 regional dialects a piece. There is no way to unify it as a language other than mutual intelligibility. Especially since so much of our grammar and spelling is derived from the parent language we stole what ever part of speech from. Finally language is of the people and to try to deny the right of legitimacy based of preconceived notions races is Immoral and denies people agency.

Tl;Dr Grammar is racist, if you understand it it is proper

eventually person of colour will be seen as racist, as it directly refers to the Trump era

because what American liberals call "political correctness" the rest of the world calls "thought control" and "group-think"

Trump isn't racist, you mooncalf.

The guy married his children off to kikes, for God's sake

It's never okay - the golden rule for improvised storytelling like roleplay is "yes and" never the worst n-word "no"

>Also, that AAVE stuff is largely accurate to speech patterns among poor urban blacks, but I find the sentiment behind it to be racist as fuck. It should be treated for what it is, a subpar understanding of proper English.

Guess how I can tell you don't actually know much about AAVE, or English in general.

AAVE isn't just a dumbed-down form of English. It has its own set of rules that are just as complicated as the version of English you use; you just don't see the complexities because it all sounds like bix nood to you.

We only need one more hashtag to complete the set.
>#PrayForOurEnemies

It's just the word that was used in that era, largely because people argued negro was used during the slavery era and so therefore the word could not be used. Saying coloured isn't a statement "I want Jim Crow laws back" anymore than saying any other archaic word is a statement of someone supporting all the laws from the era when it was in common parlance.

>makes up rules for homebrew english

couldn't they (whoever they are anyway) have picked a word that doesn't sound super similar to a word that is considered racist already
How about "person of distinct hue" or PoDH

>couldn't they (whoever they are anyway) have picked a word that doesn't sound super similar to a word that is considered racist already

that word exists, it's called non-white

The idea behind it always seemed racist to me because it seemed like the assumption behind it was that I couldn't learn to speak proper english.

Go right ahead. It's better than trying to cover our shitty history with a thin blanket like 'n-word'

if you lower the standards to their level, black people are just as capable as whites

>Grammar is racist

imagine being this blue-pilled

It's not racist, so much as it was a class issue. The working class usually could not afford their child and themselves time and resources for learning and practicing proper English.

>Grammar is racist

Khazar, or Faux-Judean

Yes you dumb nigger

/thread

>Depends on the setting.
is this the true answer for all Veeky Forums questions?