Should non-human races be allowed to have differing personalities?

I always regarded non-human races as ways to introduce newfags and normies to hobby. Since early days of D&D i loved "race as class" approach - that meant that with each race comes canned exaggerated personality that's easy to roleplay. Plus these races are flashy - and immature players flock to flashy stuff.

But what's your stance on hipsters who insist on playing shit that doesn't make sense from setting perspective? Dwarven wizards, elven fighters, any orc with INT more than 6? Should these people be allowed to continue playing? Why won't they just pick human who can do all these concepts?

Personally i think that RPG rulebooks should include rules on how to play any non-human race and introduce paladin fall-like mechanic to those who break these rules. This way nonhumans will be what they are meanbt to be - a way to give little billy a shiny bauble so he is entranced by it and doesn't interfere with adults

Posting in a bait thread

You are an exceptionally boring person.

>oh noooo
>if only there was a race that could fill many niches and not look unrealistic filling it
>if only there was a race that can have many character archetypes without turning into self-parody
>if only there was a race not characterized by a single stereotype
>oh wait
>there is
>Humans

Wew lad, the trolls are really getting lazy this year aren't they

B-b-b-but how will I play muh special snowflake character....... m-muh diversity...... ;_;

>humans
>not the most diverse of races

>ok everyone level up
>I can cast more powerful spells!
>My sword strikes are more acurate!
>I can pick more complex locks
>I iz moar dorf!

>Multiple sapient races being able to coexist in some manner ruins my immersion of fighting dragons and raping princesses!
>You play a dwarf who isn't an alcoholic? Get out of my step-father's house!
>REEEEEEEE

Have you interacted with several dogs?

>Dwarven wizards, elven fighters
>doesn't make sense
kill your ys self

I like the elf and dwarf being classes of their own, but it only really works in games where there aren't 1500 different class types and specializations.

I like how in Dragon's Crown the Dwarf and Elf are their own classes of roughly babarian and ranger, but the two human mages are almost identical in playstyle.
This isn't sarcasm, I really enjoy that game.

>elven fighters

You mean like Feanor, Fingolfin, Thingol, Gil-galad, Glorfindel, Finarfin, Thranduil, Ecthelion, Earendil, Tyrion, Eltharion, Aenur, Malus, Tullaris, Imrik, Korhil, etc etc etc...

There are probably more famous elf fighters than any other class.

Your campaigns must be thrilling :^)

The only use I've ever had for race-as-class was for quicker character generation because my players couldn't build one themselves.

>Should non-human races be allowed to have differing personalities?
Of course not. Clearly a weathered and war-weary elf mercenary should be just as refined, elegant and silvertongued as an elven diplomat.

>But what's your stance on hipsters who insist on playing shit that doesn't make sense from setting perspective?
Clearly they're idiots who don't realize that literally every Dutchman is tall and smokes pot.

I could see a fall-mechanic working for some races in certain settings. Say, there are a set of races that correspond to each alignment, and a member of one of those races tranforms into another one of those races if his or her alignment changes. Though, I wouldn't want OP have any say in designing any mechanics, he sounds like pure cancer.

>paladin fall-like mechanic
Like being ostracized from society for degeneracy?
By virtue of posting on Veeky Forums, we here all are fallen humans.

The trops we have from Dwarves and Elfs comes from their culture, not their race.

Mountain Dwarves will be mountain-dwarfy, Forest Elves will be forest-elvy. Not the same, but similar personality traits acquired through shared experiences and expectations.

If you have a dwarf raised by human slavers to be a pit fighter, an elven outcast-turned-merchant, mixed-race mercenaries who bow to none and care only for their next meal, you will either see yourself deconstructing the archetipical race expectations, or becoming a really boring GM.

What do people have against race-as-class?
>I want to play an elf fighter!
>I want to play an dwarf wizard!
I don't get it. You either want to play a dwarf/elf, or you want to play a fighter/wizard?
Mixing the two legitimately doesn't make sense to me, it seems like you just want to be one thing mechanically and another thing to roleplay. It's just absurd. Mechanics are supposed to reflect your character.

Dorf is best class

I wonder what the motivation for creating these threads is. Are people simply amused by pretending to be upset about silly things, or do they actually hate the thing and want to upset others with their clearly irrational opinions?

>I don't get it. You either want to play a dwarf/elf, or you want to play a fighter/wizard?

But elf as a class on it's own wouldn't remotely work for representing all (Or even most) elves. Something that represents Galadriel wouldn't also represent Legolas. The issue with race as class is that it pidgeonholes races into holes they might not actually naturally fit into, especially with races with more than a single note character.

Makes u think

Some of it is TSR/Gary Gygax worship or "my systemfu handles it this way so that makes it objectively the best" (same reason people get dogmatic over dice systems). Some of it is /pol/'s anti-hipster crusade, where they arbitrarily lash out against random shit in the hope it will keep the "wrong sort" away from the games they don't actually play. I think race as class also appeals to people with poor empathy and social skills, since they feel more comfortable playing a shallow stereotype than having to get into the mind of someone else and having to think about how they relate to their society or culture.

>>You play a dwarf who isn't an alcoholic? Get out of my step-father's house!

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oscar Wilde would be proud.