Twenty minutes until game starts

>Twenty minutes until game starts
>In game store making last minute prep for session
>Struck by the sudden realization I don't like any of the people I'm running games for
>Get up
>Leave store
>Block everyone's numbers
>Go home
>Go on Roll20
>Close my online campaigns
>Remove and block all my online players on Skype/Discord
>Go for a walk

Ever felt completely burnt out on tabletop games? How long did it take you to get back into them?

>Ever felt completely burnt out on tabletop games?
Yes, about six years ago after my college group fell apart.

>How long did it take you to get back into them?
Never did. Tried about a dozen different campaigns over the years but just stopped trying two years ago so now I just shitpost on Veeky Forums and live vicariously through greentexts

You're being burnt out on having to live with yourself being a shitty person m8, not games.

I'm honestly not sure, I usually attribute the "I don't even like those people" feeling to my general misanthropy.
Got an overall burnout earlier in life though. complete with nervous breakdown. Kept me down for couple months.
You can say I re-ignite easily.

>not playing in person
>not sending a message telling people the games over, if only as a courtesy

no wonder you failed

For me it wasn't that I was burnt out, as much as I was fed up. Had two groups that always did annoying shit.
>Always wanted me to host the game in my tiny apartment. Never once did anyone offer to host a night at their place, even when I asked
>Always showed up high or brought out hard liquor to EVERY game
>Would act bitchy when bad stuff started to go down in-game, often of their own consequence
>Would flip flop between LOLRANDUMB and tryhard mode at the drop of a hat
>Would ask me to run games on specific nights, and then whine or fall asleep during the game
The last straw was when they specifically asked me to run one night, I told them that the next portion was going to be rather "involved" and needed a lot of work. I stayed up extra long to prepare my adventure, they all got online and started playing Overwatch instead. Kept saying "One more round". I eventually just logged off.

I haven't found a group since. Plus been dealing with family stuff for a long time. But now that, that's over maybe I should look for a group...

>Leave store
Sounds like OP was playing in person and online, which if I have to hazard a guess might be part of the reason for burnout. Running multiple games at once is hell.

The first group I ever outright disbanded out of frustration was one that didn't show up to a session because "lol tonight is the night Overwatch comes out did you REALLY expect us to show up?"

I still get angry when I think about it

Jesus, what kind of friends do you have? Well go into a FLGS/Facebook/Craigslist/whatever and look for local people that share your interest. They won't be like the people you described.

You did the right thing OP. Do not surround yourself with people you don't like and do never work for such people. If you need a break and they cannot see it, fuck them.

Just a heads up for next time: choose your group more wisely and do not run multiple groups. You learned a thing now, next time it will be your fault this happens.

My local game store sucks ass, but from what I've heard, there's a new retro vidja store 20 minutes up the road that hosts FNM, so maybe I should scout for players there.

Sorry dude but if you were surrounded by people you hated in the first place, the problem is within and you can't run from that. In fact you may make it worse by being alone with yourself.

Same thing happening to me right now:
>not having fun gming for my usual group
>having a break because players dont have much time because of studies
>making a oneshot with 2 other players, absolutely having fun
>0 stress, no one coming late, no dumb characters, no dumb social problems with the group, some goofy scenes but not too much, really enjoyed myself
>a month passes
>player of the original old round calling me midnight from a club
>asking me in a shitty tone when we continue (all the dates i offered were denied by the group)
>making post in messenger group that im done with this round
planning longer campaign for the 2 other players now and i'm feeling enthusiastic for the first time in years

I've never been burnt out on games in general, but I have been burnt out on A game or being the Forever GM.

Usually I just take a break from running said specific game, or arrange one of my players to run a campaign for a while.

You've got no obligation to keep running if you're not having fun, but you should've at least told the players you wouldn't be running anymore. Unless they really did something to deserve it, in which case it's storytime.

Yes, but I didn't act like a dick to everyone I played with because of it.

I got over it in a couple months.

Was almost at that level but after waiting years for improvements to come on their own and being the apparent democratically elected Forever DM I ended up venting to them all at once, told the ones who could stay if they wanted, and told the rest that I know it wasn't fair to not give them second chances as well but I just didnt think they'd ever change.

Now they know what to expect and I'm having at least a modicum of "fun" as opposed to my usual feigned laughter in attempts to make my hours spent over the entire week, waste of a weekend day, and their enjoyment of its fruits, actually mean a good god damn to me anymore.

Every few years I go scorched earth and cut ties with everyone I RP with

You sound like that nutjob of my old GM, who had a crisis like this every year. In the end, he was left alone.
I mean, I get that but regular meeting for long periods of time with the same group people could be tiresome, especially if the only thing that connects you is the game. It happened to me too. But in general I try to play only with people I know, like, and trust - plus we are rational adults and if I want to take a break I tell them, and game night becomes beer or movie night.

Yes. Retards on line fagging up a forum game.
One year and the help of RL getting better. Ran a one shot for my RL buddies. best feeling in the world getting that recognition for once

Similar but not directly related
>first game. Ever
>found on a discord
>fuck up and assume I can pick it up as we go
>make my character the night before
>get in, type slower then everyone else
>first rounds of combat. Party members are doing work
>I deal next to no damage
>get BTFO on the first enemy turn
>we're hitting autism levels dot jay pee geg
>shut everything down. Stop communications and settle in to wait until my meltdown fades from memory

I am wholly to blame for this. If I ever dare try again it's going to be after watching every how to play guide I can lay my hands on

I get burnt out when I'm the only one investing care into things

So, often.

This is bait but in teh off chance that it isnt fuck you OP. You are a A class faggot.

I'm a player, but our previous DM did something like this.

After a year of playing, we finished our first big story arc, and the DM began to make various last-minute excuses for not being able to play. Week after week, he'd cancel 30 minutes before session. Over time, we went from playing every week to maybe once a month.

The players all knew what the deal was, since we'd see him online playing Overwatch shortly after cancelling. The problem was, we would try to gently approach him to ask if he was burned out and wanted a break from the campaign, and he would constantly deny it. Usually he'd get mad about us asking, too.

After another six months of dragging it out, he finally cancelled the campaign in a huge drama explosion that left everyone feeling sour. He's since burned bridges with most of us.

The thing is, none of us minded if he was burned out. We tried to be understanding and helpful, we tried to make it clear he could talk to us about it, we offered to do things to help him. Instead he decided to clam up about it and not communicate about it at all, until it festered and blew up.

Don't be That DM. If you're burned out, talk to your group. If they get mad, the problem is on them.

dont kill yourself

I've had DMs do this before so it's not too far fetched

Been on the other end of that earlier this year, it's not fun.
>Join Local Game Store 5e weekly game
>Meet new people, end up inviting a couple friends
>Flash forward 3 months
>DM starts missing games, I cover with Yawning Portal
>One day come to LGS, DM is in corner drinking
>Hands me his notes, "You're GM now"
>Fuck

Honestly, the only thing that stopped me from starting fresh was that I wanted to see the story through. Players that joined before I did still make references to things that I never saw happen, or characters which I barely recall, and I smile and nod and write a note.