Anyone here playing Das Schwarze Auge? I'm gonna pick it up again tomorrow to play with some friends (one gm...

Anyone here playing Das Schwarze Auge? I'm gonna pick it up again tomorrow to play with some friends (one gm, three players), but haven't touched it in almost a year - and even then only played it sporadically.

I know some people dislike that character creation requires a bunch of knowledge, but I think once you made two or three of them you can easily throw one together in half an hour. And I really like the 3d20 check system.

Why do I never get a conversation about DSA on Veeky Forums?

Germans are working right now.

Then why am I here?

Oh right, because I am a disappointment to my parents.

Because 99% of people aren't autistic and just fucking call it The Dark Eye you pretentious faggot.

I'm not pretentious, I am German. I didn't know it was translated like that.

don't be dumb, ignore such posters

My group felt it was pointlessly over-complicated, and I'm trying to adapt it to a BRP-derivative/D&D system. But that's so much work I might as run the game as is.

In what way do you think the game was over-complicated? The character creation?

Combat is one of the weaker points of DSA, but it is not really focused on combat, more on social interaction, solving mysteries, and, in combat, getting an advantage over the opponent by using your talents creatively. You can't really play it like DnD.
I also like that magic is something really special in The Dark Eye. The few spells you can start out with if you make a magician are really modest and down to earth, there are barely any spells that actually do damage, spells are there for problem solutions and support, and even then are pretty expensive to use.

Really liked DSA: Blackguards vydia on Steam. Looked a lot of what I wanted for a 4e cRPG. A shame Blackguards 2 have such an unengaging plot. Played it to the end, though.

I play it. But I don't like it as much as other games: it is very generic, but I have fun.

By the way, if there are any GMs of DSA lurking in this thread: if the adventuring party, composed of inexperienced and slightly experienced party members wants to sleep outdoors, do you have them make checks to fall asleep?

Last time my GM had us roll Bodycontrol? Körperbeherrschung to fall asleep. Something that I am not sure is correct to be honest.

I feel like I have a pretty harsh GM, but that is just ridiculous. If you rest, you rest. The GM can decide to reduce your regeneration if you slept on uneven ground or whatever, or even decide to interrupt your regeneration phase by letting wild animals attack if he is cruel, but a check to let them fall asleep should only be demanded if there are any foreign influences, like a fear spell or whatever that demands a willpower check.

I thought so too. I am glad I am not the only one thinking this: but I have it covered. I am playing the GM's favourite character and should he die... well, then I have a replacement character, but the GM won't like him nearly as much as my follower of Pereine preacherboy

I can't into DSA. As a german the setting just oozes mundanity and genericness to me. I just need a sense of exoticism from my RPGs. DSA is like fairytale movie meets D&D filtered through your local castle fair.

Huh, I'd actually take the DSA setting with the 4e rules, where racism and cultural bigotry was hardcoded into the rules, over the standard D&D settings like Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms

that's exactly what i like about it. i want to adventure in a mythical !not europe. WOW-style fantasy is for literal retards.

The character creation part is really the only thing that's complicated. After that, it's pretty straightforward. Roll three dice, try to roll beneath your attributes. Also, I like the combat system with Attack and Parade and having to confirm your critical hits.

Because it's really a niche thing outside of germany.

DSA simply operates on a different power level compared to games like dnd. You can have excotism in DSA...just go to fucking Maraskan or Al'Anfa. Or, you know, just go carousing with the hillibillies and bridge trolls in Andergast. (Seriously, when is the last time you had an actual bridge troll in a game)?

Es heißt Das Schwarze Auge, sie schweinevögelndes Stück Scheiße von einem Untermenschen. Ab in die Gaskammer mit Ihnen!

Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms have another kind of generic. Although I think Forgotten realms actually fluctuates between minority bits where it comes into its own distilled D&D flavor and a lot of anemic generic stuff surrounding it.

I guess I feel a sense of cultural familiarity with DSA that precludes a sense of discovery.

It is not about power level. A game has it's own underlying tone.

I think that is the thing that draws people to DSA. German RPGs have a certain "down to earth" feeling to them. The Gothic vidya series has similar vibes.

I can only speak for 5th Edition, but that is a bit odd. I could understand it, if your characters were in extreme pain, but I would have choosen Willpower (Willenskraft) for that. Bodycontrol is more for activity, like jumping, balancing or something like that.
That is actually, the thing that got me into it. And the fact that I am a Krautfag, because it is the most played game here.

>That is actually, the thing that got me into it. And the fact that I am a Krautfag, because it is the most played game here.
I was about to say that DnD is played quite a lot here aswell, but then I remembered that the people that got me into DnD were actually born in the USA. Huh.

>Bodycontrol is more for activity, like jumping, balancing or something like that.
What about self-control? Willpower is more to resist fear, seduction, anger, etc. Then again, self-controll checks are so rare when I play I barely even know what it does. I always assumed it is somewhere between willpower and body-controll.

Gothic on the other hand I liked, but then again it hasn't got that "folksiness" that DSA has.

Oh yeah, that actually better. The Rulebook Definition is, if I try to translate it.

Body Control (Körperbeherrschung)
To jump far, run fast, to roll of after a fall, holding the balance on a tightrope or any other advanced body performance, the talent Body Control is necessary. It is for akrobatic actions, as well as athletic performances or to slip trough bonds or a thrown net.

Self Control (Selbstbeherrschung)
The Talent Self Control contains for example the ability to ignore pain, be it wounds trough battle or exhaustation on a long march. Ignoring Distractions falls under it as well, for example a wizard that can concentrate on his spell, even while goblins throw rocks at him.

Willpower (Willenskraft)
To withstand temptations, stay calm after beeing insulted or to not panic in the face of great danger, the talent willpower is necessary. Its most used as a comparison roll against a used talent against the adventurer, be it flirting, bartering, persuasions or intimidation.

I learned it enough to run a demo for a Free RPG Day. I like some parts of it. I like the slow healing and how the quality of your food and shelter matters enough that players will be tempted to get that single room at the inn or pack the finest sausages.

On the downside, a lot of the special abilities seem to be kind of needless. Like the one that improves the number of fish you catch when you go fishing, which is almost, but not completely, identical to just increasing your fishing skill. Or the one that improves the quality level of your cantrips, even though cantrips have absolutely no effects that scale off of quality level.

I find it to be a lot more strategic than D&D. The massive number of variables that can be applied to spells, plus the fact that most spells require two or more turns to cast, make it a lot more important for spellcasters to be tactical and coordinate with the team. A first-time party will have to waste a lot of mana aborting spells because they fucked up and started casting spells without asking themselves if the spell would still be needed by the time it resolved.

Armed combat is less complex, of course, but unlike D&D you can control exactly how complex you want a fighter to be at all points in the campaign. You can buy a dozen little fiddly abilities that let you fine-tune each sword swing, or you can just spend your points on high stats and skills and swing hard and simple until you get bored.

bump

>On the downside, a lot of the special abilities seem to be kind of needless. Like the one that improves the number of fish you catch when you go fishing, which is almost, but not completely, identical to just increasing your fishing skill. Or the one that improves the quality level of your cantrips, even though cantrips have absolutely no effects that scale off of quality level.
I agree that there is a whole lot of useless fluff in the special ability department, that could potentially add flavour to a character, but that no one would ever actually waste points on.

>You can buy a dozen little fiddly abilities that let you fine-tune each sword swing, or you can just spend your points on high stats and skills and swing hard and simple until you get bored.
When creating a character, you can't really pump that many points into rawr weapon power. The standard character level is "experienced", which lets you set the ATK value of your main weapon to 12, which then scales to 14 or 15 with its main attribute (that you can only put to 15 aswell), so if you want to be competent with a weapon you absolutely have to buy a dozen little fiddly abilities. But if you know your way around, you can make some really powerful stuff right out of the gate. A rapier with defensive stance and riposte makes you basically unhittable. Add the ability "one handed combat" on top of that and you basically cannot lose a 1v1.

one last bump then i will give it a rest

Because tde/dsa has a cancerous insolate fanbase, which belives in the superiority of their setting/ruleset.

The Daedalic adventure games in this setting -
Chains of Satinav and Memoria - broke my heart and convinced me to buy the corebook and give it a try. Haven't had much chance to play the system, but I'm planning on getting the Vampire of Havena solo game in the future as a test run.

Tfw you have to kill your magical fairy waifu's memories to save her.

they're nothing compared to some deendeefags on this site.

Weird. A cancerous fanbase should atleast be somewhat visible. I never see anyone talk about it.
And what is wrong with thinking one ruleset is better than others? Dark Eye definately has its advantages over DnD, seeing as it was created as a response to DnD.