EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Setup Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: There are cards that you see and think at once, "That needs to die". What are the cards where you (or your opponents) are instead blindsided with "That needed to die three turns ago and I let this happen"?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/licias-calvary/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>There are cards that you see and think at once, "That needs to die".
paradox engine

>What are the cards where you (or your opponents) are instead blindsided with "That needed to die three turns ago and I let this happen"?
slivers in general

Does dash work on commanders?

yes

Kalemne, I assume?

Hell, they just need more female Giants in Magic in general. Even some monsterous looking ones.

This card looks fun. How can I best use it?

When you need to push damage through for the win. It's just a fancy way of tapping all creatures you don't control. You can also use it to pseudo fog for a turn.

Reject the sins of the game store!

Use it in pillow fort as an alternative to Insurrection. Just throw it down and watch the table form grudges, tear into each other like animals, and ultimately eat each other whole. And in the wild world of table politics you can usually get away with it since who to attack was in the damage-dealer's hands the whole time.

i spent a game harassing someone with blue bullshit and he eventually dropped an iona naming blue and i just lolled my way to the grave

i think this is what happens when you start off as a timmy and venture off to do UG bullshit for a while

Any group slug deck, throw in a furnace or dicate of twin gods, watch people punch out and slap the winner.

Any deck where you can reliable recast it.

Or just any deck where you've got a free slot for it in the "fun pet cards" space, because its really nice disruption- breaks board stalls, breaks up combos some, forces people to get active.

>takes 10 minute turns
good luck escaping this at kitchen table, if anything turns are always wayyy longer
>no women in playgroup
lol, apart from the friends girlfriends who want to join in

Also, eater of days

Use it to punish dickhead swarm players.

Need some help building my first from scratch EDH deck. Should I just drop the the token theme entirely from this deck? I like the idea of them because with any of the soul sisters out it's easy life on everyone of my turns and would make playing Licia on any given first mainphase easier as well as giving me an attacking force that isn't completely reliant on my commander staying and retaining her counters.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/licias-calvary/

Yes, but dashing gets added to the commander tax which also applies to Dash.

I wish kitchen table was this good. Besides what said, people act like fucking tards because "muh kitchen tabul"

honestly licia is kind of a bad commander to build if you don't know exactly what you're doing. since you're new, i'd recommend building RWB tokens with queen marchesa if you want to focus on tokens, or WB voltron with karlov if you want to retain the lifegain theme. you don't really want to do both at the same time unless there is some explicit synergy between them.

or, if you really REALLY want to build tokens AND lifegain then you'd probably be better off with trostani, but then you'd be ditching red and black for green

quickly scanning through your deck, it falls into a lot of newbie traps, like including vanilla creatures and having a bunch of situational/weak includes like emerge unscathed

I can't build red for shit, it's the only color that even when paired, doesn't work for me. So I've decided to build a monored deck, because I think it's a good way to go about it

Question is: how do I make this guy good? I know there may be a lot of combos and stuff, but besides that, what should I do?

looter effects and big creatures

sundial of the infinite

best equipment in the game?

GUN

Sunforger

boots of haste and mind-clamp or whatever

Sundial of the infinite + whatever you want to do. Remember to use it during the end step to exile the sacrifice step of the ability, I've seen too many people just do it immediately after combat or their second main by mistake their first time reading it

How do hapatra decks usually win?
I cant imagine 1/1 sneks being particularly potent

Sundial and LD. See how he feels with the likes of Orcish Settlers, Avalanche Riders, and Invader Parasite to fuck with people. More stax package wouldn't go amiss either.

If you have infinite sneks, with haste thanks to t1 Concordant Crossroads, it is quite potent.

REMINDER:
doms play control, switches play combo, and subs play aggro/midrange

My nephew plays combo and he is a mega sissy.

And persons who don't define themselves by their sexual role play whatever seems fun today.

None of this is important information. Call us when you have a Razaketh ban or something.

Thanks! I'll definitelly get LD and Sundial. Also, good tip on the dial, thanks.

>Only playing one archetype

>EDH
>aggro

I'm thinking about building a group hug deck just for shits and gigs. What colors or commander should I take? I'm thinking something Bant

No

Mirri wrecks shit because nobody expects it

Its natural to be sexually confused at first.

Group hug players get the rope.

I always kill them first encase they are slug

I'm a sub and I always play control. Although my newfound love for combo may explain why I'm starting to think subbing is boring

>t1 Concordant Crossroads
seems like a bad play desu famalam

I'll sexually confuse you.

I'm not saying we should have lords or something for mass demons, but I do think it would be neat if we had more non-demon cards which supported them.

You know all that reanimator shit that black has in its inventory?

When Decree of Silence comes out, everyone auto-turtles and waits for someone else to bite the bullet. Then I drop Solemnity.

More stuff like that ogre from Kamigawa that tutors a demon could be nice. Cost reducers and stuff that benefit from controlling a demon too (something like a Drumhunter that trigger from controlling a Demon, for example).

What are the best bloodrush cards?

Don't. Some decks get toxic when exposed to hug

Yeah, and that stuff works just as well with any fatty, not just demons in particular. Where's the flavor?

do you guys rush someone or spread the damage around?

>Painful Quandary

>ever attacking someone before you are about to win the game
doing politics wrong

Depends. If I think a deck is cEDH (Zur, Meren, Selvala, etc) I'll hate them right off the table if I can and everyone else is smart enough to turn it into impromptu Archenemy. Otherwise I try to stay as not the scariest board presence, until I get some serious threats out all at once.

>Thread question
Statecraft, after I've inevitably donated it to some timmy

>Where's the flavor?
How can you look at this spell and ask that question? Really hamstrining yourself with that attitude man.

>no women at playgroup
>chad

Price of knowledge.

i let a sneak attack survive for an entire game cos the deck running it was really bad compared to other things on the table.

Then someone played dovescape and this player who had been doing nothing all game won next turn with an inf combo using sneak attack while I couldn't do anything

Man, I'm not saying reanimation is lacking flavor in general, I'm just saying it has little to do with demons specifically.

>>combo control

if theyre on an infinite combo thats when I focus them, if its just a regular player ill spread the damage evenly

i play control and im the biggest sub ever

the best thing about playing scion is I get away with people thinking my combo deck is a harmless dragon tribal deck for longer than I should

They're also the same kind of autists who screech about netdecking and expect people to have an encyclopedic knowledge of twenty plus years of cards.

Spread it out until someone become a sufficient threat to warrent singling them out, even then I try to not get tunnel vision.

yes of course all my ice age cards are in not in english *sigh*, want me to get my phone out for translations for you *sigh*.

Is Expedition Map good in Teferi? I took apart Eldrazi Tron recently and am trying to find homes for it's parts.

is it reasonable to have non-tribal creatures in a tribal deck?

What are you wanting to get?

>Buys proxies from China
>implying Chads even know about bootleg Magic

I guess Academy Ruins would be the only land to tutor up so yeah probably not worth it.

It's most desirable to fetch either tabernacle or inventors fair. It's likely worth including even if you don't have a tabernacle (really, who has one of these anyway?) As fetching out IF or academy ruins in an emergency is still pretty good. It also helps turn on metalcraft and improvise and provides fodder for transmute artifact and reshape. It can even provide ramp in a pinch if you fetch out ancient tomb eot. Did I mention you can fetch it with trinket mage?

>implying Chads even know about Magic
ftfy

why is Commander VS the best youtube commander content? is it because it has 3.5 well adjusted adults playing a game without being neckbeard faggots.

Oh, that .5 is Jeremy. You know he's a faggot.

Ask yourself: do they support my tribe? If not are they worth just by being insane value e.g. Consecrated Sphinx?

>using points
They are shit

I like Command Zone because Jimmy a qt

>not wanting to watch relaxing gameplay where dudes are just having fun
>probably drinking beers off camera
>maybe giving each other a bro-jerk off camera too
>not too competitive because that would get boring in about 5 episodes

yeah, they sure are shit. Idiot.

the 5 minutes of ads, the fucking song every episode, and lee kwais fucking smug ass attitude have ruined that show for me

Yes. Even from a flavor perspective it would be normal for a tribe to have some allies from outside the tribe. Also having tribe memebers from different planes is already a flavor stretch

Pretty much the only reason you would limit yourself to a strict tribe-only creature base is OCD/autism

I also dislike Josh and I use adblock

More Giants need Reach. Fucking Ruric Thar can block fliers but Kalemne can't.

adblock doesnt block the "getur cards at CURD KINGDOME and make sure to bye ULTCHRA PRO EKLIPS SLIEVES!" every goddamn episode

Or you're running something like say Elves or Vamps where you've got more than enough good in-tribe creatures already.

>5 minutes of ads

i wish it were just that, the command zones most recent episode had a total of 17 minutes worth of ads and a grand total of 22 minutes worth of actual content if you could even call it that as all they talked about was EDHrec

I get a kick out of the laboratory maniacs. Dan is a bit of a twat though.

You have a fair point but I'm willing to overlook it for a qt who owns a shiba. Also eclipse sleeves are a meme

>Thread Question
Skybind. If someone spendt 5 mana casting it, they're not just planning on getting an occasional Constellation trigger.

Elves want craterhoof behemoth, if you were cutting that because it's not an elf that would be kinda silly

I have little bitch hands, so I can shuffle a whole commander deck with eclipse sleeves. I can't with DS. Also, Eclipse are opaque. In every other way though, DS Matte are soooo much better. I just like the gay colors like Mint, Sky blue, APple green, etc.

refusing to play stuff like birds or solemn is also stupid

they are just part of a base for a deck like lands imo

Yeah. Listening to that was a fucking chore. If I was a patron, I'd be livid. I paid how much for them to talk about cards that annoy them for 10 minutes and it was like 30 minutes of ads for other content creators and/or products? Fuck that gay shit.

Alright thanks user. How about All is Dust for a board wipe? Or is it too cost prohibitive?

All answers beside Skullclamp are wrong
Jitte is fine but the clamps got it beat

ill never understand why people like eclipse sleeve so much. they split way easier than DS, they are cloudy so you cant see your foils very well, they dont come in packs of 100 so you have to buy 7 dollars more worth of sleeves to get enough for a deck then you have 60 extra sleeves you are not using, and they have barely any colors

i used to give 4 dollars every episode but after the last game knights which wasnt even about commander and was just another ad for WotC i pulled the plug and cancelled. its just not worth it any more, there are so many better content creators out there. hell jumbo commander does way better when it comes to commander content and its literally just some asshole with a mic and shitty free editing software

Dragon shield are too big, the double sleeved card slides around inside them. I've never seen an eclipse sleeve split but they are fairly new so idk.

You're right about the foil thing though hard to see them

Yeah, realized as I was posting that Green tribes want Craterhoof. At the same time they'll be an Elf Craterhoof inside of a few years.

Hey, guys, I heard you were talking about equipment.