Are the Birrin a Veeky Forums approved race? Here are some climbing a mountain

Are the Birrin a Veeky Forums approved race? Here are some climbing a mountain.

Other urls found in this thread:

insideclimatenews.org/news/28022017/chinas-co2-reduction-clean-energy-trump-us
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Here is one of their many ancient ruins.

Behold, the pinnacle of Birrin technology; a self-aware starship!
Too bad their civilization went downhill afterwards.

Yeah they may be. The guy that created them is a fucking nut case though.

I like them. They're at least unique.

lol he puts so much work into making all his creatures based in reality and a sensible context and then he goes and makes completely unreasonable stone sculptures for them

unless he's leaning heavily on it being some sort of magic space sandstone

Is he a SJW or something?

SJW? Oh yeah. Dudes a real nutjob. He's
entitled to his opinions though.

I'll give him one thing. The dude can create and draw. He does some really unique and cool shit.

I wanna fuck a birrin!

Elaborate pls

They change biological sex as they age, so fucking one would be sorta gay.

yes. UltraturboSJW. Don't ever touch him. Seriously, I don't know how you're even on Veeky Forums, seeing as they were conceived by a bunch of hippy proto-sjws back in the 80s. I'd be disgusted.

/thread

>no hands/manipulator limbs
>somehow developing a species

A
L
M
O

>what are the two limbs tucked underneath

Maybe it's just reinforced concrete?

You're dum.

Somebody clearly didn't bother taking their smart pills last night.

Go have a look at his deviantart posts.

>an artist has liberal viewpoints

How terrible! I'm sorry you're having so much trouble derailing this thread, though.

Its resin over a wood frame

literally what?

I did, and saw nothing SJW-y. Quit trying to derail the thread.

You ok? The dude just asked for elaboration and all was stated the guys a fucking wacko that creates cool shit.

Calm the fuck down and go eat some tendies.

That's not elaboration though, it's just name calling and vague accusation. What is it that makes him a wacko?

You guys seem like the easily offended sort if someone not liking the artist's politics makes you whine this much.

We're asking for a description of the politics in words other than wacko or nuts. I want to hear what is it you object to, because my understanding of the guy doesn't make it apparent what one would find wacko. I'm not offended, I'm curious.

Not him but lemme just bring your attention to a journal post of his.
As per Abiogenisis as in Regards to the "Rise of the Right."

"Anyone who voted for Trump is my enemy: you have extinguished the light of the West, and helped doom the ecosystems of this planet.

I will never offer compromise or a hand of aid to a conservative again."

That's pretty fucking wacko.

It's overwrought, but kinda comes with the territory of climate change focused futurist

Not that user but tbf Trump is basically responsible for us rapidly losing our place as leader of the free world. We are hemmorhaging global influence, so it's not surprising that he'd think that about Trump if he's American and left-leaning.

Plus, he pulled out of the Paris Agreement and is openly anti-environmentalist. He's signed at least 8 anti-environmental legislations that I can think of off the top of my head, and said of climate change that it was, and I quote, "created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive."

Like I stated before. The man is his entitled to his opinions. I'm grateful he creates cool shit. Just his melodramatic reaction the election of a U.S. president is crazy.

Melodramatic I can agree with you on, but I'm inclined to beg the question as to whether base reality of Trump being elected in any way bears on evaluation of his poor decisions in that office. Then again, I avidly follow the special council investigation.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Tbf though it was a crazy time, emotions and melodrama ran high.

Alas, that's the new political reality of the US. Melodrama, bitterness, and sectarian tribalism.

To be fair the chinese don't give a fuck about polluting so that's kind of correct in a funny way.

>Trump is basically responsible for us rapidly losing our place as leader of the free world. We are hemmorhaging global influence

>Liberals during the Bush years
>"America isn't the world police! American influence isn't necessary in the 20th century! Isolate America!"

>Liberals during Obama years
>"America isn't the world police! American influence isn't necessary in the 20th century! Isolate America!"

>Liberals during the Trump years
>"The world needs American influence! Trump is destroying American influence!"

Little late for a 180 innit?

It's easy to say you don't need something when you have no reason to worry about losing it.

No one said they didn't need it, they railed against it existing at all.

You misunderstand. I'm all for us being a global superpower. I like us being a global superpower. I consider us losing our position to be a bad thing for us, specifically.

The "liberals hate America and want to see it become a third-world isolationlist literally who" meme needs to die desu.

Please stop

Ok, you're right, sorry.

To be completely fair, having weird views is practically standard for sci-fi writers.

I mean if anthropogenic climate change is real (assuming any model can be reproduced and found to be correct out of the 70+ failures to date) then China would by far be one of the biggest culprits. Idiots constantly bitch about the US's impact on the environment but they should really turn their eyes to China and India who literally give zero shits about the environment.

Anybody who tries to foist even more strangulating regulation here using climate change as an excuse is just bullshitting. You can tell because if they really cared about the ecosystem they'd be demanding severe pressure on China and India, not expansion of state power in the US.

No.

They look weird, but interesting. What are these from? Can you explain?

A "centauroid" alien race that evolved from swamp creatures. They got way more advanced than current humanity, but went shit as planetary resources got scarce and global warming made most of the planet uninhabitable. They're currently rebuilding, though.
Have a couple of babies, by the way.

Hexapodal penguins that fucked their planet

>grants to new industries
>expansion of state power
It's not even a dichotomy, it's honestly a nonsequiter.

Fuck yeah, they are. Many a SciFi thread had them as an exemple on how to try to make not-too anthropomorphic aliens on Veeky Forums, back in the day.

What the FUCK is that?

maybe read the thread you're posting in

>ALMO
You're not very smart are you?

No, China is the reason the U.S is losing its stature.

It's got all the American money, and the main thing keeping this relationship stable was China's need for American trade. However China is rapidly becoming self sufficient so soon the only thing the U.S can trade is American real estate. The U.S can literally sell itself to China, dropping its status in the world, or devalue its currency, dropping its status in the world. Either way, it has been something it brought on itself.

Trump, Obama, Bush, Clinton, this has been a long time coming, and the fault lies not within the president, the president after all doesn't wield absolute power, but the entire nation. Death by a thousand cuts.

Meme aliens with a shitty "here's what """""real""""" aliens look like" design.

Do you really think that, or are you just upset so you strung a bunch of words together with no thought to their meaning?

As soon as I saw robotic quadrapeds I knew that's all this would be about
Autism reeks

That's not autism, that's just Veeky Forums

After years of seeing them posted by some smartass who thinks they're so intellectually superior for "realizing" how aliens "should" look and spamming their "rational and realistic" garbage everywhere, yes I mean it.
SF is inherently fantastical; dreams of space travel are physical impossibility fueled by scientific ignorance and poisonous utopian ideals. Stacking on the """realism""" only comes off as trying to fake intellectual superiority for the sake of ego, because that's all it ever is.

>dreams of space travel are physical impossibility.
>humans traveled multiple times to the moon and there is a permanently manned space station currently in orbit.
>We already know of and have produced in small quantities nanomaterials strong enough to construct megastructures like skyhooks, space elevators, orbital rings, etc.
There is nothing impossible about traveling through space, seeing as it's already been done. All that's left from here on out are improvements in design, technological advancement, and various potential methods of improved propulsion from the complete and already tested nuclear thermal rocket to the completely speculative fusion torch drive.

Yes and I'm sure that will allow you to ignore c by just believing enough, just like how you'll definitely be able to ignore all trends of human history to enact your perfect true communism once you dismantle society in the name of 'progress'

You should probably cool it with the """quote marks""". You're going to hurt yourself if you're not careful.

I don't ducking have time for that.

I see something like OPS pic and I have to ask, right then and there, what is that. I NEED to know. You don't see shut like that just everyday man. Nuh uh. That's some shot that you to ASK about.

Get a better keyboard app.

Who the fuck said they were a commie. You think spaceships are just gonna pay for themselves?

I never said anything at all about surpassing or even reaching fractional C, just that superior space travel technology to that currently in use is not only possible but in the case of nuclear thermal rockets and aerospikes already actually exist and are fully mature and proven concepts. There is also no need to ignore or alter societal trends and I'm the polar opposite of a communist, a single country with a functional free market could easily begin a space based economy provided the correct incentives. The US alone could handily construct a space elevator once the requisite nanomaterial manufacturing techniques are developed, as the projected cost of the structure is 20-30 billion dollars, or 60-90 if triple redundancy were desired.

Even more conventional chemical rockets can be spectacularly improved with only technology developed but put on the back burner decades ago, reusable rockets using linear aerospikes or direct cycle nuclear thermal rockets would substantially reduce the cost of space travel, especially considering that both metal deposition 3D printing and laser shaping offer improvements in component construction not available when both of those engines were first invented.

Get my hexapodal phallus out of your consumption hole.

I like Children of a Dead Earth too

>Veeky Forums approved
I sure as hell hope not. Veeky Forums has godawful taste.

>Who the fuck said they were a commie.
When /pol/tards can't formulate an actual rebuttal, the next-best alternative is to call the other party a libtard SJW numale cuck and hope nobody notices.

>FTL and space travel writ large are the same thing
>thinking cool stuff could happen at some future point makes you a poisonous utopian
>you're all commies REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I wonder what it's like being you

>Tbf though it was a crazy time, emotions and melodrama ran high
Only because libs are retarded. Hopefully they'll kill themselves off on November 4th

No, but they probably do. Utopianism and Marxism are tied at the hip, and the poisonous ignorance flows both ways.
SF loons think that with enough ambiguous "progress" any physical or social change toward their ideal world will just become possible.

>Methane NTR
>Only 4.33km/s dv
>Less than 90mg acceleration
You can do better user, I believe in you. I can get my 90kt supercarrier up to half a g acceleration with 14km/s dv.

Wrong
insideclimatenews.org/news/28022017/chinas-co2-reduction-clean-energy-trump-us

That ship is ooold, like November of last year old.

I haven't been active on the forums since the last update but my "modern" ships are much better, I promise. Of course now the meta is all hpyervelocity needle drones so what's it matter?

>I posted the first laserstar killer missile

The Paris Accord isn't that great. It's basically a way of funneling money to shitty third world countries under the guise of climate awareness. Never mind that the Accord doesn't enforce emissions standards at all and instead basically just says that the signatories should do the best they can. The worst penalty a nation can get from failing to hold up the agreement is getting "named and encouraged." Nevermind that fucking China (perhaps the most ecologically destructive nation of all) is signatory to the deal.

I don't see where you're getting utopianism from the idea that technological advancement will make for the eventual possibility of space travel within the solar system. This is neutral, just the supposition that the application of extant human technology will expand the reach of human travel and behavior, for good or ill. I personally doubt humans or whatever succeeds us will ever reach a utopian state, not least because utopias of any form are unachievable by their very nature, but it seems just as inevitable that changes in human conditions will lead to changes in society, and massive abundance will lead to plenty, even if there's a disparity in its distribution, which there will and should be.

>Paris Agreement
You mean the agreement everyone signed because there is zero sanction if you don't respect it so nobody cares?
Big fucking deal

China is also trying to meet the admittedly low bar they set for themselves, instead of flipping the table and throwing a tantrum in front of the international community.

Their motives are almost certainly not environmentalist though, more likely they're just trying to reach a minimum level of control needed to avoid literally poisoning their own workforce to death.

yeah, and unless we want to lose florida and have flammable groundwater we should take a similarly selfish action.

Oh shit I guess you're right, I don't think I could go on living without hearing what Florida Man is up to.

>flammable groundwater
That was a hoax

Sure it was.

Flammable rivers then, and honestly its ancillary to the point. There's a point at which environmental damage ceases to be a theoretical problem and becomes a hazard and threat to national interests. China has passed that point, and is working to counteract the problems it's made for itself, we have the means to avoid it as much as possible.

Ultimately, american power and its superior position in the world stage isn't just a granted thing, it needs to be maintained with regular modernization of industry and the underlying systems, and with active jockeying to keep ahead of the pack. We had a lead in the postwar period because the other industrial centers of the world were smashed to shit and we capitalized on it. We still have a good position, though it is more tenuous, letting it go in the name of any base dogma or unreal ideology is a horrible mistake.

We can't let him get the nuclear codes!

I like that you've moved the goalposts back from "we'll get to Star Trek eventually" to "w-well we can putter around our star system some day".
Sure, interplanetary travel is possible. It's already possible but people reject it for ethical and economic reasons. it's irrelevant to the discussion because human interstellar travel of the kind proposed by even "hard" SF is still impossible, and the encountering of alien life that is of similar thought to humans even more so.
SF only works as complete fantasy. Attempting to make it "real" degrades the entire medium as you now have to play by reality's rules instead of your own.
And reality is saying no every step of the way.
It's part of why Utopianism (usually some sort of Marxism) is a prerequisite; the resources for space travel are crippling unless you blindly slave the entire world to it, so the author picks their favorite ideology (and most SF authors are delusional fringeies) and makes it win.

Utopianism isn't required. Space could be so profitable as to revolutionize our entire concept of what profits look like.

We have Helium 3 mining on the moon and jupiter/saturn. We have massive solar plants etc. A k2 civilization has no need to leave its solar system to have its population blasted into absolutely crazy scales.

Making it "real" doesn't degrade SF it is what makes SF what it is. The whole point is taking something with an element of fantasy, just enough to make a few core concepts work, and then applying a realistic approach to those assumptions.

Its about playing with ideas in a rational and extrapolatory way.

Also you sound like a whiny faggot with no sense of humanities manifest destiny.

Nobody but you has mentioned Star Trek, or proposed that FTL is possible. You’re arguing against an imaginary opponent

Don't they contact humans in the end though ?
There was also some bullshit about singularity tier psionic Birrin god shown IIRC ?
I read about Spear it was pretty good.

>Plus, he pulled out of the Paris Agreement and is openly anti-environmentalist.
Good.
To conquer space we must abandon our mortal coil.
We must become like Helghan, abandon our humanity, tear out the organs that fail and replace them with new flesh and steel.

To bring things back to the Birrin, pic related is the system traveling ship they poured resources into as an international endeavor for the crowning jewel of their technological prowess just before crashing their planet’s ecology into a furnace. After recovering centuries later they can’t decide if it’s worth investing in to recomission or if they should strip it for parts to rebuild their orbital infrastructure.

On that point, space isn’t cheap, but humans

You know that you are one of the organs that will fail, right?

Is this ephemeral legacy of space travel more important than your own not dying a life of poverty and suffering? It's all well and good to harp on about martyristic ideals when speaking hypothetically, but you know how many people would willingly choose death just so that a class of people born above them who regard them with the same level of empathy with which they regard a shovel, or a hammer, can achieve greatness?

Humanity does not deserve the stars. We'll die on a poisoned world, We'll kill each other, probably not over some sparse resources that we have yet to destroy in a mindless orgy of consumption, but more likely over some petty slight or disagreement. And then the world will be silent, and dead, a tombstone and monument to our folly.

China's growth has been and continues to be fraudulent, hence their yoyo economy that's simultaneously collapsing and expanding at 8%+

>You know that you are one of the organs that will fail, right?
Good,my life is not as importance as the legacy of my race.
>Is this ephemeral legacy of space travel more important than your own not dying a life of poverty and suffering
Yes
>how many people would willingly choose death just so that a class of people born above them who regard them with the same level of empathy with which they regard a shovel, or a hammer, can achieve greatness?
Billions.

that's nice darling, don't forget your meds

/pol/tards, get the fuck out of this thread. This is Veeky Forums.

didn't finish that thought. Humans love expensive things, and are the only known species to make them.

You'll have to start with our mod.

Progress is the sole reason why you are able to post your opinion in this thread.