How do you deal with edge lord "I wanna burn and kill everyone and everything" players?

How do you deal with edge lord "I wanna burn and kill everyone and everything" players?
Any stories on uncooperative players and how did you deal with them.
>Friend of one of my players wanted to join our game
>Immediately starts treating it like a video game and started complaining when a group of guards beat him up after he tried to mug an important town figure
>told him that he should try to be somewhat logical in his decisions
>"Man this is too hard ill just watch you guys play"

>How do you deal with edge lord
1. Talk to them like an adult and explain that is not the sort of game you're trying to run and/or it detracts from the enjoyment of the other players.
2. If they continue, boot them from the group.

>how did you deal with them.
I killed their character

Just keep having his character killed or imprisoned until he either learns that tabletop RPGs are meant to be played with more realistic behaviors than vidya, or he decides to leave the game.

Rape them.

The PC or the player?

>Deal with them
You don't have to, they already dealt with themselves. RPGs aren't for everyone if they're the kind of slackjawed retard that can't understand the concept of not immediately murdering anyone they come across, then let them leave.

Also never be alone in a dark alley with them; those are the kind of people who are only not murdering and raping because they don't want to deal with the consequences.

Yes.

Yes.

Don't be a passive-aggressive wuss about it, just talk to them like a normal person.

Run a dungeon crawl.

You wont be able to rape them after cumming in their mouth

We had one of the players make a character that was pretty much the opposite of what was asked by the GM. Then he'd go out of his way to avoid any and all plot.

Eventually the GM just made his character get hit by a car and then the plot was us saving with with some weird magic medicine or something. Then he went right back to avoiding all plot.

We don't play with him anymore.

sauce motherfucker

>playing in group
>one guy is playing rogue pirate, after we had all discussed our plans beforehand so if you go too far to a certain side it's on you
>tries to push people into line and take all the spotlight with the usual
>someone goes off to do something and does X just to get him saying "I walk up when I see this and-" bullshit
>or when the same thing is done to him says "But he wasn't actually here though!"
>screwing over NPCs, stealing, and all other asshatery
>Eventually, after three strikes and verbal warnings, paladin has had enough and manhandles him into a lock and calls for the local authorities
>two hours go by with him trying to escape while the rest of us testify, the paladin watching him all night, his attempt to kill the pally and a guard when they opened the cell, and got his ass knocked out
>we then all participated in his public hanging via throwing rotten vegetables at him

Needless to say he didn't come back. Say what people want about paladins but after that day if our team doesnt have one to keep the dick-ass thieves in check I play one myself.

Gotta explain things with the guy before playing. Be direct, be polite, and be firm. If the guy decides to be a retard despite your explanation, make an example of his character.

>1. Talk to them like an adult and explain that is not the sort of game you're trying to run and/or it detracts from the enjoyment of the other players.
>2. If they continue, boot them from the group.

First Toast Best Toast

What kind of game does he play? In most games if you do stuff like that you are likely to get killed by guards that are either more infinitely spawning or stronger than you, get a non-standard Game Over or you can't do it in the first place and you must reload.

This never happened, and if it did, it shouldn't have.

You should stop playing with kids

The paladin who will kill his own party probly shouldn't play one to begin with, same with the thief who literally robs the party but meh.

First, I try to talk him out of it. "Are you sure you want to do that? This might not be the best long-term plan".
If that fails, consequences. If it's a first offense, I'll go light to start with. Your character is imprisoned, their weapons are confiscated, so on. Unless they do something actually retarded, like try to stab a king in the face.
If that doesn't work and they do it again, I have a word with them after the game.
If they ignore it, I might pull them aside again, but the consequences just escalate, and regularly turn into "time outs" or hitting the player where it really hurts, their gear and stat blocks.

Don't be a beta pussy and tell them that their behavior is detrimental. If they persist, boot them.

Don't be a passive aggressive faggot like this guy suggests

It's Mash from Fate Grand Order. Artist is samerupa on Pixiv, you fucking nigger

In my experience, the cure for people that can't differentiate massacring the first town in Skyrim for literally no reason and an actual roleplaying game, is to just let them do what they do then deal with the repercussions. Either they snap out of it or they piss their pants and run away when their rad OC Sephiroth Blooddragon turns out to be just a regular scrub like everyone else at the table.

Personal experience
>First real game after a session 0. We even talked about all the red flags exploding off this guy afterward but figured we'll just play the game normal and try to break him into good habits
>"I approach the barkeep and ask for his absolute best "
>Barkeep snorts and doubts he can handle it. Mentions that it won't matter because it'll cost him more than he could probably afford
>"Oh, I won't be paying for it."
>Have him roll intimidate, fails because of corse he does
>"You... yes, you will. This is a tavern, that's how it works"
>I stab the barkeep in the throat and take the bottle and throw it back
>u wot m8
>Have like a five minute conversation of everyone absolutely assuring him that that's a bad idea
>"No fuck you my guy's a badass". Rolls, hits.
>"What do you mean there are patrons in the bar that actually liked that guy? The fuck, they're actually attacking me?!"
>"What the fuck do you MEAN the town guard is coming!? This is fucking bullshit, you can't just arrest my guy!"
>"I'm fucking dead!? It's the first game!"
>GM tells him to roll back his action and start all over again despite being like a half hour into this trash fire
>Responds by grabbing his shit and storming off without even saying anything.
>Complains about it later online talking about how his GM was an amateur asshole that "didn't get how games work"

>>GM tells him to roll back his action and start all over again despite being like a half hour into this trash fire
>not making him go in the corner and roll a new character

Challenge accepted

>This never happened
Took less than 30 minutes from introductions. You mad there are people who won't pay your "tax" for your skills roguefag?

It was the introduction to the campaign, we were not a "party" at that time, and even if we were if he hadn't done it then the rest of us would have.

This

This cosplay is an insult to Kars-sama

Run evil campaign/dungeon crawl, tell him to stop and explain why, or tell to fuck off.

Only good answer.

>Kars in part 8's artstyle

But, what if you're being a edgy piece of shit because of how your DM does stuff in your game?
You see, my group is playing a custom campaign where we are all heroes in training and all that good stuff. We are spending our days training in specific ways in some kind of special school of some sorts, and trying to do good, but not everyone there is actually trying to be an active lawful/chaotic good hero, since for many people it's just a good opportunity to get good in combat.
All our characters are young adults, and that's fine. The thing is, the DM keeps trying to force this highschool anime bullshit everywhere. Most important characters are female waifus who are really great at what they do, and the DM keeps trying to pair each of our characters with some girl, I don't know why. My character is a half-human half-monster beast, disguised as a normal human with some illusion magic item, and it took about 5 sessions until we got to some valentine's day event and some girl, that happened to be a Kobold disguised as human, got paired with my character and seems to be inlove with him because "they're the same!".
Because of this kind of bullshit, I keep pushing people away and doing nothing all day, since the DM is busy doing stuff with all other players, and stuff only happens around these female npcs. Everyone else, but me, has got some girl involved with them at the moment, but I don't want to have to deal with that bullshit. It's fine for characters to fall in love and have girlfriends or wifes, but I don't want it to be my main focus. So I spend my days training in solitude, looking like some edgy stupid character with no friends, doing nothing productive, since everyone levels up at the same pace, no matter what you do.
I don't really expect an answer for my first question, I just really needed to get it off my chest and I see no "that guy/DM" threads around.

If you don't like the game leave the group, don't spoil the fun. If the DM and the other players enjoy their weeb shit, just leave. If the other players don't enjoy either, talk to the DM and if he keeps sperging, leave. I swear sometimes I think everyone on this board is 14 because nobody seems to grasp basic concept such as "fun" and "communication between adults"

First order answer: If it's on the line of the "goddamn edgelord" versus "Normal Dude" divide, just let them do what they want as the dice permit and have the world react in a logical fashion

Second order answer: If the above is inapplicable or fails to produce positive behavioral modification, discuss the issue openly and without hostility to see if the Edgelord can be reasoned with. Feel free to get your other group members in on the discussion; if they'd all like a murderhobo dungeon crawl, give them what they want: no real friendlies, lawless wastes, constant fighting. If, on the other hand, the Edgelord has wildly different expectations from the rest of the group (as is plausible) see if they will be willing to reason, understand, and adapt to the group's interests.

3) If the above failed to reconcile the differences and edgelord didn't quit of his own reward, do not invite edgelord back to any further sessions. Whether you make this open and clear to him or not is your own business.

Of course I tried that. No one seems to mind. These guys are good friends of mine and also the only ones willing to play dnd. I just put up with it for the moments that we actually play a normal game, since I think it's better than not getting to play at all.

If they're your friends and you are willing to endure weeb shit to play with them, then don't be a cunt about it. Also I swear to god unless you live in the middle of nothing in rural dumbfuckingstan it's not hard to find a group IRL.

Araki has actually drawn kars (along with a lot of other characters) in his later art styles.

I would prefer that you didn't use my ethnicity as a pejorative in your silly online arguments.

Nigger isn't an ethnicity

I see /k/ has arrived.

I don't understand. If someone's only rpg experience came from Skyrim or Fallout, they'd STILL KNOW you can't just stab the barkeep without getting jumped by the guards and bystanders.

If someone has NO rpg experience at all, wouldn't their base assumption be similar to real life, where you also can't just stab the bartender.

Basically, there's just no excuse for this kind of behavior, people who engage in it are stupid and shouldn't be associated with.

This

its a slur for one, and you know what he means
dont nitpick

What are yoy gonna do about it niggerfaggot?

Where's that greentext where the gm changes his edgy mutants and master minds group into a decent group using the power of silly silver age situations

im going to kick you in your niggerfaggot balls.

It's usually weebs who think that everyone would be quivering in fear of Darkdeath Donutsteel, like NPCs aside from the one(s) being directly interacted with are props to look spooked of the edgelord in question.

Where do y'all think you are?

I had a rogue that was a new player who did something just about as dumb.
>introduce each character with some reason to go to a specific inn
>rogue needed to meet contact for a job
>"Alright, you're in town with little more than your bag, what do you do?"
>rest of party heads towards their only hook thus far
>rogue player declares last
>'im going to go steal from the mayors house'
>"okay, do you even know where that is?"
>'no, you'll tell me though, right?'
>explain I can't give ooc knowledge to him and he should go ask his CONTACT AT THE INN
>'whatever, I'll break into that stone guard thing you described'
>nigga what
>he goes to the back of this place, sees guard taking a piss out back
>'i am going to slit his throat'
>rest of mixed experience party at this point have met at the bar and are talking over drinks, some there for an actual reason, others simply waiting
>edgerogue murders guard for no real reason, goes in through back door
>'what gold do i find?'
>"You're pretty much in a locker room, and the equipment in here is pretty shoddy."
>'but there should be a chest with gold'
>get past this arguement
>'well fuck this, fine, I open the next door and start looking for gold'
>"okay... you open the door and there's a bunch of guards playing cards, one looks over and sees you, roll initiative"
>'but im in stealth'
>go over how you're supposed to actually use stealth
>'whatever, i can win this right? you're not allowed to put me up against something i can't'
>thoumustjest.tapestry
>gets his ass gangbanged
>he's unconscious
>thrown in jail
>'whatever, they don't have anything on me, and you guys will bail me out, right?'
>explain they found the murdered body out back
>he never cleaned blood off himself
>'but the party has to break me out now'
>someone looks over from the drinking fun they're having discussing grouping up to make some more money off of rumors of goblins in them hills
>"We don't even know your character exists dude"

Just give reasonable consequences, people learn or leave.

It was obviously a retarded thing to do, but I kind of feel sorry for this guy. He comes off as being very earnest and naive. Hopefully you guys set him straight and he understands the way shit is supposed to work now.

Maybe explaining to him beforehand that he's not playing fucking GTA so
>his actions will have appropriate consequences
>he will not respawn
>if he fucks with things/people he shouldn't fuck with he will get his ass handed to him
>if the whole session is only about him and his solo autistic murder spree nobody is going to have fun
would have been a good idea. Once again, 90% of the /thatguy/ situations you find on Veeky Forums could be resolved or even prevented by some honest communication.

/k/ is stealing a meme from like 2004? lol

He left, saying I 'didn't allow him to play' despite giving him essentially a one on one for an hour while the party talked with eachother IC.

He claimed to be a experienced player, didn't listen afterwards to me trying to explain why that was a bad idea and why the mostly good aligned party was not going to break out a murderer. Gave him a chance to write up a new character but insisted that the party would break him out, kept interrupting their ideas with 'but what about me guys?' for a hour or so before giving up, deciding to drop out entirely rather than rerolling.

Saw him playing in a campaign a few months after this as a combat stat block fighter with no IC

I dunno, I've never had that.
The most I've gotten was SUPREME EDGE THE BLOODMOON BANE.
In fact, I never got an edgelord that didn't wind up playing like this guy.

>acts like an edgy chuuni
>his actual motivation is he just wants to look cool
>ends up hanging out with a qt goth chick and a chinese machete-wielding bombshell

There are worse ways to live.

Perhaps watching GOOD anime is what keeps my groups from having detestable edgelord types.
Or we just have good humor.

So who is that guy?

Step 1: Establish that the party is full of assholes.

Step 2: Maim the most annoying one.

Step 3: Total Party Knockout.

Dude who acts like he's some kind of heroic vigilante in a town of criminals. Usually gets treated as a joke/shot immediately, but the fact that he puts on armor as a precaution means he stays alive.

Boy do I have the story for you OP

If the other characters object to the evil characters actions IC, then they should just jail or kill him, then tell his player to make a new character.

>3rd frame
for someone doing lot of kicking that's awful choice of (no) underwear

"a paladin that restrains a bad guy and calls the authorities shouldn't play a paladin"
I agree, that's totally a Chaotic Evil way of doing things

I was in a modern day campaign, and one guy seemed to be under the impression that 'secret multi-national covert ops unit' means 'free reign to commit war crimes without consequences'.

Incidents included:
>Trying to over-rule an SAS Major (His justification? "I'm American." Bear in mind, he hadn't put any points into rank)
>Attempting to start a fight in an SAS bar. (Initially, I just had the guys brush it off as an asshole American who wasn't worth interrupting their drinking for. Then he had to press the issue, and acted surprised when he lost the fight.)
>Decided on his own that a 'leave no witnesses' policy ALWAYS applied, and interpreted it in the edgiest way possible.
>This came to a head during a hostage rescue mission, where he killed the fucking hostages. "They saw us in action, they knew too much."

The game lasted 2 missions before falling apart as a result of his bullshit.

Did he died?

>His justification? "I'm American."
pretty realistic

>This came to a head during a hostage rescue mission, where he killed the fucking hostages. "They saw us in action, they knew too much."
That's fantastic.

And at any point did you stop and tell him, "listen, this is how things actually work"?

Thanks, I have a new villain for a modern game.

Honestly, just start taking the piss outta them and making them feel like a joke whenever they become too edgy.
>Describe every action that they do in a low baritone.
>Start using synonyms for "dark," "death," "blood," etc. in the hammiest way possible.
>Make sudden pauses for dramatic tension as if you were William Shatner trying to sing a ballad.
Etc. Etc.

Take this asshole for example, by far the edgiest character that the Sonic franchise has every made (and that's saying something) and yet because he's playing the edgelord stereotype so fucking straight, it loops around into being hilarious.

Also, be sure to only do this when it's him doing edgy shit, just to bring the point home that he's being so edgy and tryhard that he's turning himself into a fucking joke. You wouldn't believe how effective this is, especially if he takes himself too seriously.

We tried. We really tried. His response?
"Nuh uh, THIS is how things actually work."
It wasn't game-breaking on its own, just annoying and occasionally obstructive. It wasn't until the hostage incident that it actually ruined things.

And until all that happened it was pretty much my dream campaign. A cross between Hunter, G.I Joe and X-Com.

>And at any point did you stop and tell him, "listen, this is how things actually work"?
Tell that to hillary clinton

But do you have any examples?

Sure, let's say the edgefag is doing something like slicing a dude's neck.
>You take the knife and plunge into the man's neck, allowing the crimson river of life to spray out of his veins. There's a moment when you feel a slight tinge of elation, before quickly stuffing down into the abyss that is your soul. As an independent assassin that doesn't need no guild, you know that life, the eternal pain, does not allow you to enjoy even fleeting moments of pleasure, so you repress it like the memories of the day that you discovered your parents corpses in the living room, an irony that hasn't been lost on you. When he falls to the ground, you wipe the blood off and say "nothing personnel," before taking a swan dive into a patch of nearby shadows, teleporting away like a magical jaguar on the prowl to satiate its bloodlust with the the blood of the innocents.
If it makes you hate yourself and you see the look of anger on the edgelord's face, then you're doing a good job.

Fine, retard.

At our table we have something called the "snowflake tax." Basically, we have a list of the available races that goes, in descending level of cost,
>Drahonborn, Tiefling, Drow
>Half-Elf, Half-Orc
>Elf
>Dwarf, Halfling, Gnome
>Human

And then we have a big, big list of Snowflake traits with stuff like
>Exile
>Dead Parents
>Evil relative
>Athiest
>"Insane"
>Loner
>Etc., Etc.

Ever two hits you get on the red flag chart drops what's available to you in race picks. So for example, a character with four "taxed" personality and background traits would only be able to pick races from the bottom three racial tiers. You can be a runaway noblewoman lesbian, but you're not also going to be a Tiefling on top of that.

It's been a very effective tool for mediating edglords at tw table.

>atheist
>dnd
dude what

This wouldn't happen to be a shoddy rip-off of the guy who forces his players to roll for avaiilable races, is it?

It better not be.

>pic included so this post has something of worth to it rather than just being a response to bait

Depressingly common, sadly.

Dead parents or exile are basically staples of adventurer characters in fantasy genres though. People who are stable, well-loved, financially well off and generally okay with their lot in life don't go running off on adventures. And "i lived a good life but it was boring and I needed more" is, while acceptable as motivation (it's why I travel irl after all), not particularly deep or fascinating as far as backstories go.

I see the point of your list but I feel like it oversteps a lot when you basically cannot explore some of the more inhuman races and the cutural/mindset differences they'd have unless you take them as totally standard and unjustified adventurers.

Post list.

>this pasta again

Planescape had the Athar that asserted that the gods were just powerful beings not truly deserving of worship.

I think there was a divide among them over whether there was some sort of "true" godhead or not.

>How do you deal with edge lord "I wanna burn and kill everyone and everything" players?
Well, I did run a post-apocalyptic campaign "on the side" for my pathfinder group. We ran a few sessions of them going to a ruined city to go to a hospital to get medicine (which would be expired 30+ years after the apocalypse, but let's ignore that) and finding it occupied by "bandits." These bandits open fire on them and the characters fight their way in and kill a couple dozen guys. End up finding the leader, it's a 20-ish year old girl, who they gang up on and beat unconscious fairly quickly. While she's unconscious, one character finds a scalpel and cleans it off using alcohol or something, then uses it to cut her spine near the bottom so she can't move her legs. Then they chuck her into a truck and drive off into the city, now that they have their medicine. When I asked him wtf he was thinking, he said he planned to "give her a new life" in the village they lived in.

So they fought another group (from the edgelord character's backstory) then heard her screaming from outside in the truck. We ended the session there, and the edgelord player refused to play that campaign for a full year. We get back to it, and she has awoken, shrieking and crying because she can't move her legs, yelling at him that he is fucking sick before going back to crying. The adventure continues, I constantly reminded them of her crying from the pain she was in, slowly dying from a spinal infection. Also RP with the character who was taking care of her (pushing her wheelchair around and cleaning up after her) about her life and personality, just random things to make them feel bad for her. Eventually the character ends up handing me a folded note which is a folded note to this girl, saying he is sorry for what he did to her. We left off a few sessions later, she is still dying but there is a way they can save her.

So my point is, really drive home the consequences of their actions. Out-edge them. If they kill a guard randomly, for no good reason, then describe it viscerally. Oh and describe his family finding out and crying. Make them "happen" to see it as they are leaving town. If they don't give a shit, just keep going. And have it come back to bite them in different ways.
>Exile
Guess what? The place you're exiled from? That's where you need to go.
>Dead parents
I mean, whatever. As long as they don't harp on about it too much.
>Evil relative
Well, how evil? If this is some fag saying "my uncle is an uber-powerful demon lord" then why wouldn't he smack you when you hit level 5 so you can't become a big enough threat t someday risk unseating him.
>Atheist
Ever play eschalon? You could be an atheist, and divine magic was less likely to affect you. This worked both ways. Have fun getting that curse off you when you can't be affected by blessings.
>Insane
Guess what happens to those people when they act out? You think it's bad today? Back in the 1800s you got thrown in jail for being a lesbian or something.
>Loner
If he likes wandering off alone, the party's enemies are going to see an easy mark to snip off. That brute squad encounter you'd planned for all of them? Why wouldn't they just kill him first and get him out of the way?

>'but im in stealth'
I don't know why this is the part that vibrates my jeremies so much, but it is.

This sounds amazing, actually. It's a great fucking idea, forces people to think about their cliches.

>Dead Parents
But my character is 50 years old and they die of natural causes in a very non-tragic way surrounded by loved ones

>But my character is 50 years old and they die of natural causes in a very non-tragic way surrounded by loved ones
Then you're only allowed to play human, so that issue is solved.

>"Man this is too hard ill just watch you guys play"
Looks like they already dealt with themself.