Why does every new RPG insist on coming up with some alternative title for the DM/GM...

Why does every new RPG insist on coming up with some alternative title for the DM/GM? It just makes shit needlessly confusing, I don't care how flavourful you think it is, just stick with DM, or GM if the dungeon flavour isn't appropriate.

>DM

>every new RPG
This has been a thing from the start, pissant
Cthulhu had the Keeper, Traveller had the Referee, and so on

They want to appear unique and stand opposed to DnD, it doesn't really matter though since they always abbreviate it to a two letter acronym that I mentally parse as DM anyway

You know what I hate, RPGs that use the word "colour" instead of "color". Like fucking seriously? I don't care how flavorful they think it is, or how much they wana break away from DnD, it just isn't appropriate.

spotted the pleb

spotted the colonial filth

Britain, go home, you are drunk.

>he says, through his massively fucked bong teeth whilst sipping piss poor tea

Because they both have the word "master", that is a sexist word, as its feminine equivalent "mistress" has a heavy sexual undertones that the male term has not. Not even speaking about the meaning of the word "master" as opposed to slave. So modern and enlightened developers that want to promote inclusiveness try to remove that term for good.

That /pol/ bait. Some Trumpette is going take the bite.

GM is a fine generic word. DM should only be used in a specific kind of fantasy game.

At the same time, you need to resolve your double standard. Should generic terms not be used at all, and 'GM' be standardised across all games?

If so, then why is DM acceptable? It's still a specific variation of the term designed to fit better with the flavour of a specific type of RPG. If that's okay, why is it not okay for other games to do it? D&D doesn't just get a free pass at having a different set of rules applied to it.

DM is a ubiquitous enough term that multiple non-D&D RPGs have used it. And it was also used before GM came into use.

>Dungeon-Master was used before Game-Master
>In a tabletop RPG that kickstarted the medium.
You don't fucking say?

That doesn't actually change my point, though. It's still a specific, flavourful term used rather than a more generic one. It's the same principle, regardless of the historical context.

The only correct patrician-tier term to use for the game role is "Storyteller", or ST.

The term is system-agnostic.

The term hearkens back thousands of years to when village elders spun epics around the campfire, thus adding the correct sense of history and context to the role.

The term is descriptive. What are you doing? Telling stories.

I say again, Storyteller.

doesn't work for heavy-narrativist systems, since every player is supposed to contribute to the greater story in those.

>since they always abbreviate it to a two letter acronym
A lot of RPGs I've seen use "Host", which is a one-syllable word compared to the two-syllable DM/GM. So if it's some weird obsession with shortening your jargon, Host is clearly the best choice.

Dungeon Master is trademarked

>he says, while eating hamburgers ans speaking OUR language

I am talking about what to name the Storyteller; you are talking about what to name the players.

Unless no one is in the singular role of Storyteller, I would argue the term is still appropriate.

Some related term may be used in your case for the players.

>Singular role of storyteller
The GM is not. They are also in the role of referee.

It's important for an RPG to have well-defined terms that give it its own colour compared to grey old Dungeons and Dragons. A distinctive flavour can make an otherwise shite game appealing to bored flatmates in need of another addition to their gaming catalogue.