What kind of slasher could threaten an average adventuring party?

What kind of slasher could threaten an average adventuring party?

A slasher who attacks the party in their downtime, one by one.

Or a slasher who's CR is greater than the party's level. Assuming the party isn't minmaxed out to hell.

Most of them? Freddy attacks dreams and most parties aren't going to be prepared to deal with that till they realize they can also make Wisdom/Charisma saves and/or checks (or the system equivalent) to take control of their fate in the dream world. Like in the movies. The 'relentless' killers like Jason and Michael Meyers would be really messy against any party without the means to permanently get rid of them through magic or the lore necessary to know how to lay them to rest.

Make them lowkey supernatural beings who have lost part of their humanity and give them the kind of powers to do the impossible things slashers do.

And owlbear slasher.

Ravenloft has a Midnight Slasher

but that's just a high level rogue with magic items and a lot of issues

This.
Had a party that boasted so hard about their minmaxing that it started to piss me off. put a monster 3 times their levels in front of them and they all whined when they attacked it.

Boo hoo hoo, maybe fucking come to a game of pretend to actually pretend.

A slasher of prices

I actually like the idea of utting the party against a relentless killer which can be slowed down but never killed nor avoided. I'd make it so it's actually not that big of a deal to momentarily take care of him, but their strength quickly fades as it turns out they never have time to sleep or eat, and thus the threat just keeps escalating while they search for a way to actually get rid of the fucker forever.

A slasher that possesses random people Agent Smith style.

So your party was being a bunch of ass holes and instead of being an adult and talking to them about it you decided to be an asshole right back at them? Smooth.

Welcome to Veeky Forums.

Most parties I know would put the relentless killers in different box by doing a bloody chopping very, very fucking fast.
If you want a bloody and over the top solution, look no further than a traditional rpg party

Warlock or paladin of evil deity

Slasher that only ever claimed one victim but gained cult following of copycats.
Pic hopefully not related.

>CR

I usually see people complaining about one person min-maxing and being too strong compared to the other people from the party.
But if everyone min-maxed I guess it wouldn't be so bad.
And if the party decided to min-max *the party* instead of individual characters, it could probably be a good thing.

Sure, it would require the GM to put higher level monsters, but this too can be a good thing.

Any of the mainstays. Michael, Jason, and Freddy are all supernatural and unkillable. They will keep coming back and attacking unexpected. Freddy is by far the most danderous, except maybe to a psychic character.

Five star post

I think any caster might be able to ready overcome him considering normal people could survive his antics. Most wizards could out think him, clerics would realize his ruse pretty quick and sorcerers if they worked it out could immediately go "Fuck you this is my would so my rules now bitch". And as for the others most parties would quickly go for things like "pin him under a boulder too heavy for him to move" or "literally send him to hell".

A big problem casters will have is this: RAW, you cannot cast spells while asleep.

>Had a party that boasted so hard about their minmaxing that it started to piss me off.
Why? Were they mocking you or condemning you with it?
> put a monster 3 times their levels in front of them
Why prove your power when you are the DM? Do you have a tiny penis?

A price slasher company led seriously threaten their wallets if they were competent enough

>Impliying a caster need sleep
>Not just magically recharging your energy and resting with a spell

Let's go through the old list shall we?
Freddy: Definitely possible TPK, high character loss likely.
Jason. Low power character TPK, medium character loss likely.
Michael Myers I don't know too well, but given his propensity for coming back from the dead he'd be a recurring enemy. Could take out a player or two.
Pumpkinhead: If they fuck up bad enough that someone invokes pumpkinhead they are proper fucked unless they find the guy who called him up.

The HASH. SLINGING. SLASHER.

In my experience, just give them a polite nice-seeming girl who is cute and will kill them to death for fun, and they will still just wanna fuck her

ez pz

>can't cast spells while asleep
>LaughingAnimaDreamWizards.hedgeclipping

The kind that can't be taken down just by stabbing them in the face.

I've always wanted to do a one-shot where there's a "pool" of, like, eight or ten low-level counselors (picking new ones when killed) and the players have to take down the slasher before every single counselor is killed.

D&D is absolutely not the ideal system for it, obviously. There's probably plenty of other systems that'd swing it.

How would your current party fare against this one, though?

>Delta Green Party
Uhhh, lock it in a sealed box with bricks and dump it into the sea, or just massive amounts of explosives.
>Only War squad that's 90% special classes
Idk, just shoot him into space or something.

In both cases, we'd likely lose at least a PC figuring it out/ buying time.

Lv 1 basic dnd
Theyre fucked

>RAW, you cannot cast spells while asleep
Not in a dream world.

An AD&D 2e group with; a 11th level vampire ranger; his (her after trying to use a quiver full of cured arrows) 13th level flame elemental (classed as fighter) squirrel that can toss two 3d10 mini-fireballs per round; my 10th level cleric with lay-on-hands, fighter THAC0 , d10 HD, healing, air, fire and guardian spheres; the 10th level mutant thing the up until lately has been gain non-magical qualities from things it ate based off the zerg that was created to protect my cleric (DM's idea, not mine) and has traits of a wild dog, a lion, a cheetah, an obsidian scaled crocodile, a giant constrictor snake, a chemical fire breath weapon from a hydra, a chemical frost breath weapon from a cryo-hydra and metal skill from some weird giant catfish monster that was made of biometal; and a 5th level wizard. Wizard probably dies.

never watched the chuckie (chucky?), some one wanna give me the power rundown?

Doll has the spirit of a murderer bound to it due to said murderer finding an amulet that lets him body hop to avoid dying. Tends to have to recover said amulet. Otherwise, hard to kill due to being in an otherwise inanimate object.

I think a bard or melee oriented lich would make sense for a slasher build -- something like a duskblade, or a gish involving blackguard.

Myers has the strange but neat ability to not only just stop being dead, but immediately spawn next to you, H2O, while a hilariously bad movie, is a perfect example of this; he gets decapitated, dismembered, ran over with a truck and impaled on a tree, only to appear right next to the stupid teens like 20 minutes later.

Why does he kill people? What's his motive?

Underrated post

It starts as him getting revenge on the cop that killed him, and a few other people who happen to be in his way. Then it degrades to him killing people for no real good reason except he's a crazy spirit trapped in a doll. Also he's got the voice of Brad Dourif.

slasher villains are for the most part bullshit, they survive things that should kill them and keep moving after suffering injuries that would be crippling to a human body. But a party of traveling adventurers who kill monsters is pretty good about this stuff, or at least much better than teenage girls and oblivious movie people due in large part to the paranoia of the average player. After he comes back the second time they'd go
>Alright so we don't have to deal with this again, we should dismember him, start with the machete hand and be quick, then we do one limb a piece after that.
>Better split the head in half, just in case the brain is immortal
due to the fact that dm's who go "You don't see anything" after a failed perception check

Holy fuck best laugh I've had in weeks. Thanks user made my night

I don't know if that constitutes a slasher. I define slashers as villains who take out the group of victims one or two at a time over the course of the movie for really vague reasons, that just sounds like a revenge plot.

While we're on the subject of horror villains, how would your party fare against pic related?

Only way that movie could've been better was if Skinner was innocent

He's a psychopathic murderer. That's why he got killed in the first place.

>Uhm, Sorry, wrong number?

Meyers is supposed to be a non-supernatural human, as is Jason in some of the earlier movies (not 1, obviously).

From 2-4, Jason is a normal human. At one point he's knocked out by a chair being smashed against his skull. From 6 and on, Jason is supernatural.

Are you just trolling at this point or what is this? Shouldn't you be playing pathfinder?

It is not the dialing that calls them, it is the desire.

ich habe keine lust

Then there would be no visit from the Order of the Gash.

If you think your smart enough to play Hannibal he could end any party. I just doubt most gm’s are.

Depends, does Chucky have any defense against someone going back in time and throwing the baby that would eventually become the guy who becomes Chucky from the top of Mt Everest?

The Ravenloft AD&D gazeteer for the undead actually had rules for making a custom undead monster and one of the applicable abilities was a Jason-esque "teleport as long as the party can't see you" thing

I'm sorta imagining Freddy attacking some D&D characters and just how pitiful it would be. Fear immunity + Very strong willpower + the ability to slap spirits about would make most Paladins Freddy's worst nightmare, someone he can't get control from.

Mind you, a lot of D&D characters would be much worse equipped than that to deal with it.

Ayyy lmao

IT'S. A. FUCKING. DOLL!
A level 1 DnD party would be standing over a pile of stuffing and torn plastic in seconds with maybe a stab wound or two to deal with.

The only party that couldn't deal with it would be if you'll playing a homebrew Rugrat Adventures or something.
It's a doll.
With doll weaknesses like fire and being kicked about.

Hey, I'd put my bets on the Rugrats characters against him, he's not a very smart doll.

Depends on the setting, depends on the power-level.