What is the most useful mundane item for an adventurer?

What is the most useful mundane item for an adventurer?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dRxvC3nV_ho
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soaproot#Uses
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Food, backpacks, and rope.

10 ft stick

A bag of sand with a dollar sign stitched in to foil dumbass theives.

air

A squire.

Pissed off an old DM by always carrying a bag of rocks. I told him they were for testing if something was a trap.
Lone chest in the middle of a room?
Of course I throw a rock at it.

Long hallway before treasure that's out in the open?
I've got lots of rocks. Let's test those walls and all the tiles on the floor for traps.

That princess offering a grand reward?
You bet I'm throwing a rock to check for traps.

depends on my dm and what they'll let me do.
also depends on the party and if they're willing to go along with antics or just want to hit the bad guys until they go away.

rope gets my vote generally though

>A merchant offering a particularly enticing deal? That might be a trap, better throw a rock at it!
>A bartender offering a free round of drinks? Better throw a rock at it!
>A beautiful woman offering "fun times"? THROW IT. DO IT.

>Favored Weapon: Rock

>A beautiful woman offering "fun times"? THROW IT. DO IT.
I have to make sure she's a real woman and not another of your traps.

>P1: "She looks suspicious, I throw a rock at her to check her for traps."
>GM: "You know what? Fine, I don't even care anymore. You throw a rock at her and once it impacts at her, you suddenly notice a beard on her face that you didn't see there before. Also, there's a long penis spontaneously appears where it wasn't before, mischievously peeking out from under her skirt, and her bare legs are spontaneously covered in man hair. You happy?"

goose

This is quality that I wanted but did not expect. Perfect, totally using this. Thank you, user.

Rope. For obvious reasons.

A towel

What if it's a trap that ricochets anything thrown at it back at the tosser at 10 times the velocity?

>What is the most useful mundane item for an adventurer?

Soap on a rope.
Because soap is a bitch to make and unless you know that spell wot' cleans you and your friends, there's basically no effective way to keep yourself clean out there in the wild.

I stand behind the fighter while I throw.

>Because soap is a bitch to make
You think? Its just a mixture of fat and lye.
All you'd need is some wood (i suppose its not idea but, hey, it'd work), some water and some fat which you could get from any dead creature.

Shoes

25-50 pound rock.
Solves literally all non-social problems. Is free.

Trap? Break or trigger it with the rock.
Locked door? Locked hole.
Raging river? Stepping stone.
Carrying capacity full? Leave the rock behind.

It solves several social problems as well.

paper.
jesus i can't count the amount of times i asked for a piece of paper from some npc or the bottomless journal of a co-player. of course it didn't help that i was playing a character with some political power in that campaign.

bucket.
fighting in a desert or beach? fill it with sand and fling it in the face of your enemy. fill it with grass for some nice fire kindling for later when it dries. use it in combination with the hundred feet of rope i'm sure you already have to lower items from a building.

signal whistle.
use it to notify any person for any reason. communicate with your party using morse code. your party doesn't know morse code? write down a key using the paper you got.

maul.
everyday multi-tool. How are you going to stop some big mean mother hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? the answer, use the maul with its powerful 2d6 damage. you can also use it to crush or slice anything in your way.

Very obvious answer.
>Gold coins

Exchange them for anything suggested in this thread.

That's not mundane. Commerce is highest magic.

Found this.
Appropriate here and Network is a fantastic movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=dRxvC3nV_ho

Crowbar for crowbar things.
Extra water skins for extra water. Extra water is then used for miscellaneous things requiring water.
Wheels of cheese, doesn't matter what kind just in wheel form and kind of heavy. Use that shit for trap finding in hallways. Take a cheese wheel, cast light on it and roll that shit down a hallway.

That orc is clearly starting to question whether or not the reward for catching the elf is worth putting up with her magical realm for the week it takes to get back.

A bag of salt. You can: trade it, preserve or season food with it, use it as a weight for pressure plates, throw it in your enemies eyes, rub it in the wounds of someone you're interrogating, tie a rope to it and swing it around as a weapon, and more.

>Take a cheese wheel, cast light on it and roll that shit down a hallway.
this mental image is hilarious
thank you

Came here to post this.

>I told you guys it would work if I pushed him hard enough!

He's long past "starting" to question it. Still, good practice for his knots.

It'd be full of mealworms a week into an adventure.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soaproot#Uses
Nigger what do you think Survival is for? Tracking animals and other gay shit like that?

why on a rope specifically?

Do you want the soap to get lost?

>Tying someone's hands above their head
Absolutely disgusting

Technically, a ladder is more useful.
Because it's composed of two 10ft pole and a bunch of clubs.

plus you can use it for a peasant rail gun.

>Lone chest in the middle of a room?
>Of course I throw a rock at it.
Had a player do this once.
Now it was meant to be a genuine chest with a handful of coins in it and the broken remains of a trap just for fun.
Because of the rock throwing, for shits and giggles I changed my plan and instead the chest lid opens just before the rock hits it and, with visible teeth flashing, it slammed shut again. the chest rocked about for a few seconds with a grinding sound before shuffling back into position once again, silent.

What does the rock-throwing thief do at this point?
"I head inside the room and open the chest."

the rope helps you not drop it

Was he trying to seduce the mimic or something?

I mean, I would try to seduce any traps I found if I were a thief.

Extra protein

Pocket knife.

Even more uses then. Mealworms are safe to eat and full of protein.

Don't forget making salt lines to prevent spooky things from getting near you.

Why wouldn't it be perfectly safe to investigate after springing the trap? Even if it reset automatically, the grinding sound was included to communicate that his rock had broken the mechanism. Obviously a little extra thrown in to show appreciation for his cleverness.

No, he just wanted to see what would make a chest do that.
I opened the Monster Manual to the Mimic page and showed him.
"Other then a chest mimic, I mean."
"To bad, roll for initiative."

>with visible teeth flashing

>"To bad, roll for initiative."

And salt is a good disinfectant, especially in damp climates such as rainforests or marshes where a cut can get easily infected due to all the humidity.

>a week into an adventure.

So, three times the life expectancy.

You make salt WATER and dab it around the wound. Never rub dry salt into the actual wound.

>then

pusasy

A large backpack with an ample supply of pockets. Name one mundane object more important to an adventurer than a backpack.

A signal whistle is legit a great item to have. I remember the first campaign I ever played I bought a few mundane things for my ranger character, including a whistle, and later on, after sneaking into a bandit fortress, and getting caught, I used the whistle to call the rest of the party while I was holding off the bandits, if I didn't have the whistle (and several bottles of oil) I would have been fucked.

A 25-50 lb rock.

rope

rope

So putting it all together, the single most useful tool is a 25-50 pound boulder of rocksalt on a rope!

No, because the true secret of the 25-50 pound boulder is that it's free.
Make it out of rocksalt and it'll cost your first two quests worth of gold.

actually that might not be to bad... certainly versatile

A fire starting kit.
Cook meals, keep warm, dry your clothes, make smoke signals, cauterize wounds, burn enemies, light your way, amaze the natives. Fire's what keeps you alive.

A bag of flour can not only be used for cooking, but can make be used as a simple and effective explosive.

A couple of fish hooks

I was always a fan of using the non-gold currency rules and buying tobacco for my characters to smoke. Makes diplomacy fun, especially if your gm is a retarded memer and thinks all smoking is weed.

I had a gm flat out ban 10 foot poles because he said it was stupid.

Do you really want to drop the soap when getting clean deep inside a dungeon?

Towel

What's wrong with that?

quads confirm. a lot of DMs might rule that the "oil" in the adventuring gear list is vegetable oil and not crude oil. also, flour doesn't spoil and can be used for most of the things oatmeal can but won't be filled with mealworms.

Have to do it right though, clumped together in a pile and it's not going to do much, you need to ignite it while it's floating in the air, Gust of Wind or dropping it from a high place should do the trick.

The effect depends on exactly how much Flour you've got floating around.

Man, I really loved this cartoon when I was a kid.

Can cut off the circulation if you do it wrong. Really hurts and can cause a lot of damage.

Is a watch mundane?
Otherwise rope or oil canvas.

Have you ever picked up a 50 pound rock, nevermind carry it around everywhere with you hahaha

make it an explosive power, wait to get robbed and blow the fucker up. xp and reduced crime.

Handcuffs and a good grapple check because you never know when you might have to bring someone to justice

A potato bag big enough to carry a halfling.
>be halfling
>be rogue
>be wanted
>party carry me on potato bag
The wizard enchanted the potato bag with an illusion so when guards check the bag they only see potatoes. It wasn't 100% effective but it was fun.

Money

A newbie dumbass pc.

"Okay, listen, you have the best skills out of all of us. Now go see if that chest with all the bones around it is trapped."

Yeah, this. I once had a campaign where me and three friends basically played an evil version of the A-Team (in our roles within the group, we did not actually call ourselves B.A. or Hannibal). We terrorized a small village and basically ruled over it before going on a treasure hunting adventure. When we left, we took some young guy as a hostage with us so the village would not contact other towns for help in our absense, and we put that guy through so much hell by checking chests, activating mechanisms, etc, that he ended up under half a collapsing muntain, but up until that point he was really useful.

Bolts
Lots of bolts

Jewelry is better. Its much lighter and it retains its value better from place to place (though granted this is a non-issue in pretty much every campaign).
That it is, user, that it is.

Stoic Orc Saga is one of the best things about orcs ever.

this is why most traps have weights attributed to them. like 10-30 pounds to activate a pressure plate. and chests that only spring when you try opening the lock. your rocks are for naught.

Even a small rock can be thrown to do well more than 10-30 pounds of force on impact.

Every party in a pre radio setting needs to have signal whistles literally glued to the lapel region of their armor. When in trouble, lower your head and blow. No drawing, no fiddling with pockets or strings, works even if your hands are bound. Can save your ass in a pinch.

>drop soap in dungeon
>become a monster's bitch

>A year later, the soap-dropping wizard is still happily dating his big furry minotaur daddy
>They are disgustingly cutesy-wootsy, and how an 8 foot bullman and a wizardlet ferretmode elf fuck is something that makes the entire party hate their imagination
>They get married, wizard insists on using magic so they can have kids, party is horrified and disgusted further
Ropeless soap, not even ONCE

A cardboard box

Impact force is only for a fraction of a second. I doubt you can throw a rock hard enough to activate a mechanism that requires 30 pounds of weight to stand on it. Same reason a basilisk can run on water, but it can't walk on water.

Bag of flour.