Here I sit, in an empty Discord server, waiting for a DM and other players I know won't show up...

Here I sit, in an empty Discord server, waiting for a DM and other players I know won't show up. It was one player that did it, ruined it all. He just stopped coming. He'll get on all day and night other days, but Friday he suddenly has so much to do. Sure, all of it was stuff he knew about before this, but managing time isn't possible, apparently. The third player stopped showing up because, after so many weeks, what's the point? The DM hates his campaign, hates DMing, but also hates that he won't get any closure. He usually shows, but I guess not tonight. I just want the game to end. We're close, really close. Only a few more sessions, if we all agree to just stick to the main plot points, and we'll save the world and our characters can retire into our memories. But instead I'll sit here for a while, get salty, and go play video games. Just like every other week.

Post here if you know these kinds of feels.

I'm sorry user.

>It was one player that did it, ruined it all. He just stopped coming. He'll get on all day and night other days, but Friday he suddenly has so much to do. Sure, all of it was stuff he knew about before this, but managing time isn't possible, apparently.

There's a high probability of performance anxiety also playing a factor here.

>player leaves to go to the gym in the middle of the game
>knowingly agreed to that time of that day even though it's his gym day
>just up and fucks off to lift things up and put them down again for a couple hours before coming back when we're wrapping up

I'd beat the shit out of him if he wasn't more swole than me.

Rip the bandaid off, user, sooner you do the sooner you can do something else and feel positive about shit again

Rolled 2 (1d2)

You're too kind. He cannot have performance anxiety because he does not perform. His characters are always identical in personality, name, and lack of backstory. He simply plays himself. He always has.

It's funny, almost immediately after I posted a message saying I was leaving for the night, the player appeared. Maybe I've done something and I don't realize it. I sure thought we got along well. We've known each other for years and he'll be traveling half way across the country for my wedding this summer, but maybe this is somehow my fault. Or maybe I'm reading way too far into things.

It doesn't matter though, even with all the players here now, the DM is nowhere to be found.

I think I'll roll a 1d2 to see if I get in and try to run a one-shot for the two of them off the top of my head or just rip this band-aid off and start checking Roll20 for other options. 1 is fun, 2 is done.

Sucks user. Maybe he really did have issues on Fridays.
That happened to me in the last group I was with, I was the guy who had time every day of the week except on Friday when everybody wanted to have it.

That's extra reason to have performance anxiety, because he's not actually any good at the performance that the event requires of him.

Shit user, I'm sorry for that. I've had campaigns wither, but never so late in their lives.

Talk to them, maybe. Let them know how you feel, see if they feel the same way.

Tell us about the campaign, though

>Found a new player to replace one that drop out due to RL stuff
>We agreed to stay for an hour and make him a character
>He missed appointed time
>Missed again
>Whatever, tell him "I'm free whenever, ask me when you are ready" (You work you lose)
>He didn't contact me for 5 days now, online every day
W-what? Why? How? Like, at least say Something, you useless thing.

Oh it was a special brand of autistic, but we've known each other for quite some time, so we all know it's our brand of autism and had a grand ol' time.

Humans accidentally brought to a fantasy world that has suffered the apocalypse. Fallout but also magic, basically. We had a doctor who genuinely cared but couldn't think under pressure, a security guard who was slowly learning that force wasn't always the answer, and a janitor who began stealing increasingly dangerous magical artifacts in a desperate attempt to satisfy his inferiority complex. We saved towns from rampaging bullies, freed some slaves, stopped evil organizations from unearthing super weapons, and we were working on tracking down and wiping out a race of dangerous mutants who are threatening to wipe out what civilization is trying to restart. We had some bad turns and decisions here and there, but we decided that, stuck in some bizarre other world, why not be the good guys? The mutants have been agitated and are actively wiping out settlements, our most recent findings showing that they show no mercy to children. We only need a few more sessions to track down their lair and bring the fight to whatever lurks within.

I've talked and talked, we all have, but nothing changes.

Shit man, sounds like a good time.

I hope shit pulls together. Worst comes to worse, I hope your next campaign will be bitchin'.

>Be me
>Be playing with a group of friends from around the world from middle school, all the way through high-school, and a bit of college
>Create these huge, sweeping worlds, and timeless characters that you can recall even now
>Pinpoint your love of tabletop games from the experiences and roleplays you had with these people over the years
>Then, almost like fucking clockwork, it ends
>It was a slow relationship death, not out of any malice, but just...apathy
>Not playing together anymore, not speaking, just...sitting in the same discord while everyone else continues to have these weird, wonderful experiences and relationships
>But you're just unable to connect with any of these people on a meaningful level anymore

I miss being 14, playing shitty roleplays from the moment I got home from school, to the moment I went to bed. I know people grow up, move on to be different people, to like different things... But that doesn't mean it can't hurt when it happens.

People bitch at me because I won't run games for them on Fridays.

Meanwhile I spend all day Saturday slaving away running games.

Some people just will never respect your time. They are time bandits. Cut time bandits out of your life. Be a time privateer.

I have this same problem with old friends flaking, but I'm the GM. Most of the time it's not a big deal but one guy in particular really irks me.

That guy with no job, no school, and no other friends who insists he can't do mornings (meaning before 2pm) because it just doesn't work with his schedule.

Like, fuck man. Everyone else has careers or families and YOU'RE the one who's too busy to play?

>That guy with no job, no school, and no other friends who insists he can't do mornings (meaning before 2pm) because it just doesn't work with his schedule.

As someone with seriously bad depression, I can vouch that mornings are not a good time. Your friend might have some deeper problems than when he's available to play D&D, man.

1. Don't join a group if you can't dedicate the time to it. You're ruining it for the rest of the group.

2. If you're going to miss the session because of whatever reason FUCKING TELL SOMEBODY so we don't sit for hours with our thumbs up our asses waiting for you. If you're going to be a dick and ditch again I got other shit I could go do then sit there and wait for you.

This hobby attracts a lot of people with bad emotional coping skills, little interpersonal skills, an inability to ask for what they want , various mental health issues, low self esteem, lack of confidence and lack of responsibility. This results in a lot of flaky behaviour that you're witnessing.

It's frustrating but it isn't your fault. All you can do is work on yourself and get what you want.

I've given up trying to deal with a GM who figuratively shuts down if it's at all stressful, but otherwise does some pretty good stuff when they're functional. Feels good to be out.

Honestly didn't have a problem with it earlier on, but that was when the whole game would stop while they dealt with their shit.

More recently we had an issue where the GM would slow down the (already online text levels of slow) game to push my PC into working with specific other characters that we'd already established would rather murder each other first. Then they'd come up with an alternative - but not move the game forward. It was my own personal merry-go-round while we talked IC and I tried to get the GM to remove the railroad tracks.

Eventually the railroad went ahead.

>"I can go back and edit it if you want."

>Yeah, GM, I'd like that.

>"If you just tell me what you want to do ..."

>I want to deal with those hostile assholes as a PC who doesn't want to kill them.

>"Like a disguise check?"

>Like roll up a new character, GM. They're looking for mercs, I'll be one of their mercs.

>[Other PCs] Is user's new PC going to be the guy we just brought back for torturing while the party was split?

>[Me] Nope.

>[GM] (making noises and awkward silences that sound a lot like the real answer is 'yes')

Fuck man, right in the feels.

I miss the guys I role played with when I was young.
Sure, a lot of it was awful and people Mary-sued all over the place.
But I was fun and it was innocent. We saved worlds together.

And yet I haven't spoken to any of them in nearly 15 years.

It hurts more than it should

Yeah, my sympathies. If it's any kind of consolation, I haven't managed to get into any game in years where the players didn't flake before the second session even got run, and I can count the number that even got to 4 on 1 finger.

I've started really feeling like 'games where players stick together and actually have fun and play' are fairy tales and figments of imagination.

Fuck off "feels" poster.

As someone who started gming because they got tired of being in games that would die out might be right--not to say this is why all gmings stop showing up but since I stared gming I so far ran 2 games start to end but for both of them I almost killed because of performance anxiety when it comes to roleplaying in voice or trying to give players things to do and now here I am this week with game number 3 with a session coming up on the end of this week and all I been thinking about was killing this game all because I don't feel comfortable trying to roleplay someone via voice. I can do text RP and that's because I started with that and I can talk and go over things in voice as long I'm not trying to act anyone or making a voice and such once I do I start to trip over my words and say "um" or "er" a ton fucking hell I can talk to players about things I want to work out or I just plain wasn't ok with even with me kicking a few in the past because of it. I got over the fact that I'm not a very good GM so some players might just leave or plain hate me and I can do improvising even if that means I have to be open about it and ask for some time to think it over but for the life of me I can't roleplay at all in voice two weeks ago I had a solo session with a player that wanted to talk something out and due to me just not being comfortable with acting things out it ended up being a one sided talk and I *know* that. he even say "no its find don't worry about it I still had fun" but here I am thinking about throwing everything away because I can't roleplay and I fail to build a world outside a few small things.

I know OP's post is 12 hours + old but wanted to type this out none the less because I do try really fucking hard to keep games running no matter what happens because I hate the feeling of having a game die out and I wanted GM because of that and it kills me that I'm thinking about stopping now because performance anxiety.

dude literally fucking breathe I can feel your toxic standards from across the internet fucking chRIST

>weebshit thinks he gets an opinion

I don't think I was being toxic at all. unless you mean I have very low standards (or something).

Then yes your right I'm not great.

toxic is as toxic does

it doesn't matter if you're being cruel to yourself or to another player

things are bad because they have bad effects. you are still suffering because of your perfectionism

search your feelings, user

you know this to be true

He shouldn't have started playing the game then.

I know this feel as a GM. I keep pushing back dates for our games because I keep wondering if my friends will like the maps and shit i've made. That along with my new job has just made actually starting a session a nightmare for me

>As someone with seriously bad depression, I can vouch that mornings are not a good time. Your friend might have some deeper problems than when he's available to play D&D, man.
Grow the fuck up.

>offer to roll up a new character that's not hostile to the party
>GM tries to attach to you to another character that would have every reason to be hostile to the party

I think your GM was just stupid

I have one of those. It's really annoying. What could easily start at like 10am and free up a saturday night has to be the main event for no other reason than that if we want to do a game, which is probably a big part of why we don't anymore