How and with what does one run a game about singing and dancing competitions?

How and with what does one run a game about singing and dancing competitions?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nngfgr-OOBU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Maid RPG. The Master can be the producers, the audience or both. Switch out cleaning for performance and some other stat tweaks, keep all the crazy hijinks in and enjoy a great comedy game.

What is the resolution system like? Does it have anything for margin of success with how well performances go and the like?

I didn't suggest Maid because it has any real depth or complexity to its mechanics. I suggest it because it makes a cute girls doing cute things premise actually playable and fun.

Thanks for the recommendation at least.

The only system I know with actual music mechanics

I will shamelessly pirate a PDF and give it a look. It sounds promising.

It might take some adapting. Although on the plus side it has an entire race of alien David Bowies.

No. I think it's pretty doable to add it tough.

The resolution system is task-based. Usually the point of it is that you're trying to perform a task to please your master (or trying to perform it better than another maid to make your master like you more than them). If you make the master be other things like the other user suggested, it should work fine.

Can honestly say I never expected to see PriPara on Veeky Forums

I know that's you
You best be inviting me if you ever do something like that. I swear I'll get back to watching it ASAP.

(Pretty sure it's not actually, but I Want to Believe)

I'm not actually who you are talking about. But I am interested in doing idol bullshit in RPGs, hence why I made this thread.

I don't think making the audience the master is that good of an idea tough. The master (I mean, PRODUSAAA) needs to be an actual character.

Maybe add something like Audience to Favour (the master's)?

Play as the fanclub of an idol.

You could have both. The Producer as a consistent presence and character, the Audience as a changing one who only comes up during concert scenarios, with particular tastes and preferences each time.

That's not a bad idea actually. Tough I still would like it more personal.

Let me reprhase that.

We have
a) the producer who aside from liking country grown vegetables is the usual master with Favour and shit
b) the mostly faceless public which gives Audience for, you guessed it, being a cute idol doing cute concerts and whatnot.

What I'm not sure of (actually never managed to play Maid, and I played some weird shit) is how to differentiate them. One would be tempted to make Audience the currency for costume changes for obvious reasons but I'm not sure then what would we use Favour for, might be too limited in scope.
(also, what would be the general "uniform"?)

Also I'd probably refluff the stats. We sure can't use Skill for singing, it would be too important. Idolm@ster... what? Cinderella Girls? Classified idols into cool/cute/passionate, might be a start, maybe something like Fate Accelerated approaches.

Don't mind the pic, just best girl coming through.

I think that it is kind of a good fit. RPGs have a lot of emphasize on customizing your own unique character, whereas the Pripara game is all about making your own idol with a bunch of options and seeing how they perform. The "Teamwork" aspect certainly lends itself to it as well. I would honestly think that a very narrative system would make the most sense. Though I know jack shit about those beyond PbtA and Fate.

Oh, wait, you meant the master is the idol, and the maids are the fans.

I... dunno, it kinda feels it reverse the point ot the game, but might be cool, I guess

With World of Darkness, and like this:

> youtube.com/watch?v=nngfgr-OOBU

>One character writes 666 full sized books to flesh out her character
>Another one writes two sentences to do so
Idol autism resembles Veeky Forums autism too closely at time.

Beginning Idol.

I've always included nods to Pripara or Pretty Rhythm as NPCs in every campaign I've run

But as much as I'd want to, I can't even dream of running a whole campaign about it without players who are willing to sing and dance themselves
And I highly doubt such players exist on this planet

What if it was done in a VR setting, and the players used their avatars to dance and sing? That'd certainly be a lot better than a bunch of fat neckbeards doing so, a lot of people would probably be far more willing to participate like that.

You kidding me? Veeky Forums is a better /a/ than /a/ is. I find the best weebshit here.

I guess that could work in theory, but it'd be a hassle to get set up and even moreso to find a group willing and capable enough to go that far
But the problem is less "embarrassment" and more "people interested in idol shows for little girls and tabletop games both," though then again I guess I said that about magical girls half a decade ago and look how that turned out

You could do everything via text to avoid some embarrassment. IRC is the only platform I can stand running Maid RPG on for that reason.

>I can't even dream of running a whole campaign about it without players who are willing to sing and dance themselves
Can't do that in text

Can confirm this, I've tried it before

Oh yeah just noticed you, amazingly enough it wasn't me
You and I both know you won't though, but I'll consider it if I ever pull off the miracle of setting up a campaign for this
(I won't)

Jokes on you, I've actually been studying my moonrunes on a daily basis past month or two. Throwing in a RAW kids show is the natural next step; think I'll start today in fact. Just to spite you.
And I'll enjoy every moment of it.

That's what you've been saying for MULTIPLE years, up to and including the spite part, faggot

>And I'll enjoy every moment of it.
You bet you will, because at its core Pripara is just a really good shounen anime with powerlevels but with a cast of memorable, cute girl characters

In fact, help me assemble a team of extreme weeaboos with attitude and maybe I actually will run it
But only once you're done with all 120+ current episodes

To be fair you don't need to know moon entirely at this point. Only 9 out of 140 episodes of the main series are not subbed at this point, and Idol Time is only one episode behind.

But that was Precure, not Pripara . . . gah you're right. For now.
Just wait though, next time we meet, I swear you'll be surprised. Therapy's doing wonders lately. Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go hit the gym for the day.

also, AXZ wasn't great, but was decent enough. Post-credits cliffhanger gave me plenty of hype to make up for it.

Sure, I have your address- I'll show up at your house with little warning and run idolshit in-person, possibly with extra weebs picked up from off the street

Good to shitpost with you again though, we more-or-less agree but let's save that last part for if that Symphogear homebrew gets another thread, which surely it eventually will