Your Dudes

Do you have your own personal regiment of toy army men? Let's talk about them.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/0SSGQtR3
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump

Eagles of Liberty, this should get some posts

How do you make the flags not look like shit?

Working on a small renegade/heretics army. Meant to be headed by a corrupted Navigator and they travel deep space preying on small trade ships. High use of droids. Using the GSC codex with some tyranid allies.

I have been working on a Texas-style IG regiment. Trying out various color schemes, and trying to find rough riders. Gonna call them the Lone Star Regiment due to the single star that shines over the debris of the battlefield around a Manufactorum on their homeworld. Sorta like The Alamo.

Way too busy, 2/10

Nice! I came up with one called the Wesson Marshalls, with the idea that their (desert) homeworld of Wesson Prime was a frontier world undergoing frequent ork attacks, so a the regiments took turns in being stationed on the planet, with the membership splitting up across the planet to lead and rally the PDF. Wild West sherrif Rough Riders forming ork-hunting posses, basically.

Sound pretty damn cool. For the Lone Star Regiment, I was thinking of having them on an Agriworld (Teksaas). Primary enemy would be chaos cultists and the like due to the siege on the Manufactorum. I'm open to suggestions though.

This looks so cool. And so filled with character.
Nice work user.
Can you post more pics?

You paint the, with freedom, those colors never run
Busy protecting your precious Imperium from the threats of Chaos, Xenos, & Heresy

Thanks man :)
Sorry for the poor photos.
This is the corrupted Navigator (Magus) who is desperately vying for the Chaos Gods attentions due to false promises of Daemon princedom

Its the paint app i used. The Flag was just a few spaced out lines of red & a blob of blue. The Eagle on the other shoulder was really hard to get the angles right for the wings/tail

I can do it in ten words or less
Tyranids stranded on ice world. now have ice based weapons.
Can you?

some troopers

The other half of the squad

A stalker drone which functions in game as a Pyrovore.

Will add another squad and pyrovore and then convert the LOTR Watcher in the Water as some kind of deep space daemon/creature as the centrepiece. Need to fluff him more but him and the magus will probably have some kind of relationship

A band of Orks I had worked on about two years ago when I started. Their theme is "A band of Orks who crashed on a swamp planet that had an abundance of old, junky machinery, so they became tech heavy" I have other ones that I didnt take pictures of.

>"so they became tech heavy"
also found a couple squigfulls of blue paint, I see

I love the color blue and I also like the Deathskulls! I kind of miss painting and model work, but I can never find the drive to pick it up again.

I feel you, user. I used to have a greentide; an extremely infantry heavy Ork army. Basing them all green was fine and dandy, but working up the motivation to actually put in any detailing work was beyond me. Hurted to be That Guy. Kudos for the work you have done.

Not sure if this is more a thing for here or /40kg/ but I'm trying to make a colorscheme for the Crimson Consuls based on what little details we have and I'm struggling to make them not look like blood angels or ravens. Any ideas?

My WWII inspired War Angels chapter.

I think sadly that they use the same colors as the Blood Ravens, the only difference being the arms painted bone as well.

You could give them a unique helmet, like the sheet suggests. At the very least that would make people ask why the helmets were off, to which you could respond that they're a different chapter.

Another idea could be to emphasize the iconography on the shoulders (and presumably on vehicles) to distinguish them.

I mean, slightly different since they use cream rather than white but ... yeah. I think you're right. They're just too similar

Thanks, what really sucks it right before I kind of dropped it, I had finished the model work for a model I was really excited to put together, I had made a Kamen Rider Ork, gave him a little plasticard mask, chest plates, a greenstuff scarf, really worked on it, and I would love to get back to it...but I just can't bring myself to. I also finished this one job that made me super proud of myself, where I built a tree from scratch using wires, apoxy and miliput, and did some fancy model work (for myself at least) to get a Burnerboy up on top of the tree to stand there all proud, and another model I who had a welding mask, I worked on it so that he could wear the welding mask, and it would flip and and down freely. I felt so happy with what I did.

The Blood Ravens use cream as well, I thought? I'm literally colorblind so differentiating the hues between white and cream is beyond me. I'm probably wrong.

I think they're bone white, but regardless you have a point. A slightly different tint of the same two colors won't cut it.

The Gotrekh Dynasty, a Necron house which preserves promising sentients within a tesseract menagerie. The young Phaerakh once believed she was destined to be the savior of the Necrontyr race- with that destiny denied by the Biotransferrence, she has repurposed her Dynasty in an effort to play messiah to those whose potential is still unfulfilled.

Their fluff in its full monolithic form:
pastebin.com/0SSGQtR3
So far I don't believe anyone's managed to make it all the way through this. Brevity is clearly not my strong point.

Always good to see our freedoms being defended.

Love the spider boi.

Got any pics? White and blue sounds pretty nice.

Decided against Lone Star Rangers huh?

Looks like grots got it pretty good with that lot! Killa Kans for everyone!

Dope. Any particular reason for the blue power fist?

Lots of Kans and Koptas

Old pic but it's the first giant squad. Working on the bigger guys now.

Still working on my marines, I'll get them on the tabletop sometime in the distant future. Here's the origin fluff for them.

The planet Carmack is an aquatic world located in the western fringes of Segmentum Tempestus, It provides food for most of the surrounding sub secor. It has two moons that are full of rare ores/other natural resources and there's a large mining presence on them.
Whilst excavating on one they discovered a giant fiery hole deep under that gave off a massive amount of heat and an unknown kind of energy, affectionately named Perdition's Maw by the mine workers, eventually an Adeptus Mechanicus research station was built to observe the phenomenon and perhaps to eventually take advantage of this new power source.
It's all smiles and laughter until said fiery pit starts to expand and spew out demons and other warp nonsense that promptly slaughters the researchers and miners. A distress call is sent out and an exorcists strike cruiser that's nearby comes to try and rectify the situation. They manage to travel down into the bowels of the moon, slaughter hordes of demons and seal the rift, there's only one survivor.
By this point the inquisition is made aware of what's happened and "convince" the Exorcists that a force is needed to guard the place in case the rift opens again, some strings are pulled and a new marine chapter is founded the lone survivor is given the dubious honor of leading this new chapter.
The chapter has a fortress monastery on the other moon and are constantly watching for the rift to open again and slaughtering the hordes of demons it periodically spews out when it does.

Organizationwise they're very similar to their parent chapter including the two additional scout companies to cope with the high rate of mortality their recruitment/training involves.

I'm wondering if just calling them The Vigil sounds better than Perdition's Vigil

crossposting from /wip/ but here's an actual minature for these guys

Are you the user whos been painting a Leviathan dread for like 4 months?

It's been about a month and i'm baaaasically done

To square the Valedictors "First founding" retcon:

++Canon section++
> Terran White Scars were closer to Horus during the opening salvos of the Heresy
> Served honorably and with distinction as Horus' advance heavy infantry (the way they were trained before reunion with Jaghatai) and outriders (the way Jaghatai trained them)
> Many absorbed into Horus' ranks, but most are too independent-minded for the Warrior Lodges, as they have their own Brotherhoods
> As soon as Jaghatai realizes Horus has rebelled and WS find themselves fighting on both sides, groups like the Brotherhood of the Moon offer themselves up to the Khan's justice
> Those who made blood oaths to Horus insist on execution rather than sully their honor by breaking them

++Fanon section++
> Horus' Terran soldiers who remained ideologically loyal choose to be severed from the Khan and Chogoris instead, as they can't be trusted to ride with the Great Hunt
> Jaghatai sentences them to the worst fate a WS can suffer, saying that when the Hunt leaves to defend Terra, the traitors shall stay pinned in place in the Eastern Fringe to watch them go
> Decide to call themselves the Valedictors and remove all WS iconography from their armor, focusing on fighting Xenos as per Andy Chambers' battle records
> Descendent chapter of the Darkhounds is even further removed from WS, not even knowing their Primarch
> Obsessed with purity and purification through fire, to the point of obsessive-compulsive disorder
> Rediscovered their love-affair with speed and hitting things hard, but through Assault Marines and deep strikes rather than just bikes
> Wear Mark IV armor to reflect their close ties to Mars and their supposed nobility

Attached is their earlier color scheme. I'm looking at a sort of Luna Wolves look for their armor color, which is supposed to hint at both their founders' lapse in loyalty and their White Scars heritage.

Some of my Alpha Legion successors. Basic story is they managed to find a loyalist chapter on the brink of death, finished it off, then replaced it to get equipment straight from the Imperium, rather than loot it.

Hadn't considered "Lone Star Rangers", I'll have to think on that one.

Perdition's Vigil is pretty specific, but also sounds pretty metal so it fits pretty well

The chapter master is a heresy-era blackshield who joined the Imperial Fists legion by assuming the identity of a dead legionnaire he'd been fighting with. He was later given a new chapter without his identity being revealed. After his death, his brain was eaten by his successor to preserve his knowledge and experience, but due to the chapter's hyperactive omophagea his consciousness was imprinted over that of the new master's, reincarnating him. For 10,000 years this was repeated at each of his 11 deaths, preserving his memory and personality over the chapter's history as its technically permanent chapter master.
At the end of the 41st millennium though, in his latest reincarnation, he was reunited with his original thousand sons gene seed in his new body. His resurgent bitterness as a Thousand Son, mixed with the bitterness that drove his chapter to leave the Imperium and resettle, and the return of Magnus, the Thousand Sons, and the materialization of the Planet of the Sorcerers, has made him a potential sleeper agent for Tzeentch as everything goes to shit in the galaxy.

And I STILL don't have a name for the guy

Love the blue/tan contrast.

> And I STILL don't have a name for the guy

> Reborn over and over
> Sorcerer who is seemingly incapable of death

Koschei the Deathless?

>Koschei
Nice reference

Explorator fleet Ulysses, last sons of Ithaka. Once a proud Forgeworld, booming with billions of miles of manufactorum relays, the planet devoutly produced untold numbers of tanks before the Horus Heresy. The dense CO2 rich atmosphere and and lush forests also made for ideal soldier-stock, able to churn out battle-ready Skitarii by the billions. However pride goeth before the fall, and as the Emperor's sons turned on one another dark whispers came to the lords of Ithaka. After their crusade fleet had rallied along Marines of the Iron Hands, the Forgeworld struck an allegiance with traitor forces- they would provide weapons in exchange for the power and freedom the omnissiah would never grant them. And like that, the hellforge began systematically crushing and corrupting hundreds of peaceful worlds that stood on its warpath.

However news quickly reached the Crusade fleet, and outraged at the treachery of their kin the college of arch-magi prepared to fight to the last man against the rising tide of chaos, using any means necessary. And oh boy did they; dozens of worlds virus bombed, rad-protocols needlessly enacted, firing mile-wide canisters of phosphex into the atmosphere and singing heretek and civilian alike in a bloody war of retribution. The fleet finally reached Ithaka, prepared to avenge all that had fallen along the way; yet the reinforced void shields, now aided by baleful and complex warp energies, proved too resilient for even the heaviest vortex cannons to penetrate.

So the lords of the fleet made a trying decision; send their finest boarding-action Cohort to take the orbital station above the planet turn every macro-weapon available on the surface, then plunge the outpost into the relay spire guiding the shields. So they did. Though the losses were incalculable, the bloody hands of the crusaders finally took the station, and guided the already tainted monstrosity into the taxed relay-spire below.

Your pic is upside down, boss.

found the not-aussie

Haha fug upside down pic. Oh well, I'll tell the rest.

And with that, the fleet unleashed. Every bomb, every atomizer, each and every arcane tool of destruction they could turn on their fallen home was unleashed. Entire continents were leveled in moments, daemonic energies and rogue priests sent screaming back into the shadows of the warp. They didn't just exterminatus it- they blew it the fuck up. Warp-drives hastily converted into missiles fell on the capital, tearing a rift in reality that sucked up anything in its path. At last, the sons of Ithaka had their vengeance; at last the sins of Ithaka were reconciled.

And so the fleet went away, proud in victory but hearts heavy, the shame and hate boiling with longing for their home. Now Ithaka roams the stars, surviving the millennia by striking up alliances with anyone they can manage, and financing their endless crusade by whatever means necessary. To call them drifters is accurate yet not entirely true, for the fleet has long since split from a single force; splinters ride the stars in search of sacred treasures and long-lost artifacts while Albalon- the hulking crusader ship stitched together with smaller craft and bits of terraformed asteroid- acts as the hub and central manufacturer for war efforts.

So yeah, those are my dudes. Most of this shit I did when 30k was the big boss, but there's a lot of fun stuff in 40k too. Like sheer coincidence a mate plays Blood Ravens, so from campaigns and stuff they've become a close ally, which is funny for Ulysses/diomedes too. Also there's a knight household contracted to their aid, they live on a moon close to Albalon. So yeah, I kinda just play them how I want, either emphasizing the btutally agressive melee with priests and vanguard and such, or the calculated mercilessness with gunline stuff. They're a fun army, I usually add fluff based off of games (that's how I decided what happened in their fight for Ithaka, the ZM station was my favorite)

Yeah, it's really fun doing a totally /urdoods/ army, especially in the fluff department. Is their anything I might want to consider? As I said fluff is mostly from games, but notes I could've hit but didn't are greatly appreciated

Good to see you anons again. I'll just leave this bait here for salty user.

I recommend just a dash of administratum grey the dry brush the carapace and then do a light wash to really make them pop.
8/10 ice world bugs.

My lieutenants are denoted by blue markings, Either by their hands, helmets, or shoulder pads.

these are my first minis ever painted, just got into the actual hobby 2 months ago with first strike, now dark imperium. no bully pls

My chapter is the Spectral Serpents. Originally they were founded from a battle brother of the white scars who was found after an Alpha Legion warband massacred his company because something something in the way of the objective, however now the chapter kinda shy away from it's origin chapter's tendencies and even really the imperium as a whole (save for it's guard/mechanical allies in its fleet which ill your dudes a bit once i buy them!), and actually have been rumored to be in service to the traitor legion of the Hydra, but it's "only whimsical fantasy from a chapter menial's drunken rambles".

i got a lot to kinda work out fluff wise but they are full on urban/boarding combat wrecking machines

Good job, bonus points for establishing non-retarded custom color scheme, not having house paint thick paintjob, actually basing your shit, and even having a properly color balanced basing scheme with complimentary colors and dark/light contrast, although I'm going to assume that was entirely coincidental.

Night Lords who fell/falling to Malice. Not 100% sure of a Warband name yet, but I'm thinking Abyssal Terror maybe. Pic realated is a quick mockup.

>falling to Malawl
>not even a real Chaos god
>falls to a fake god after being one of the legions notable for not falling to any Chaos gods

Truly NL are the worst legion.

You're not wrong. I figured they found some kind of artifact or something. I'm still working out the details, but I just liked the idea of the chaos hating chaos legion working with the chaos hating chaos "god". It's fitting for the worst legion.

Do white instead of bone then

These are cute, liking the broken tree, although put a solid colour band on the bezel on your bases, they will look much better with the smallest amount of effort!

Bone Aquilla, black pauldron trim, veteran/etc helms should be some metallic color, copper maybe.

Valedictors have an official colour scheme?
It's green

Is that macraage blue?

They look great user.

you could at least salt it for me first

your idea doesn't make me angry anymore but that doesn't make it any better

My dudes are legit just Emperor's Children, I give them custom armor colours using EC colours, and I name the characters, gave them a planet in lore, came up with some story for them, fun stuff.
But still, not creative.

the problem is Koschei is eastern European, while these guys are based of off Asian isolationism

Where would I find those clear plastic rods they use on flyers? I have a conversion idea I want to do but it involves aerial bits

Only orks would fit a melee weapon to aircraft. Gotta love it.

Always happy to see these doomed Marines. Perdition's Vigil sounds much better to my ears, "the Vigil" could just be used as shorthand for those familiar with them if you were to ever whip up some writefaggotry.

The concept is pure Alpha and the color scheme is both novel and attractive. Well done.

Interesting to see an AdMech force so violently loyalist. I think it'd be worth emphasizing this by pointing out ways they go about glorifying the Omnissiah above and beyond the Mars standard, in an attempt to keep their brotherhood pure and prevent another fall like Ithaka's.

Wouldn't be a thread without you, boys.

Ah, makes sense.

They're really nice for first models! Gives me hope when I can finally afford to start making Gotrekh a reality I can do them reasonable justice.

Hey, fluff is fluff. Even sticking close to the canon, you've made a little bit of it your own. Nothing wrong with that at all.

who are the dwarfs of 40k?

They're a Valedictors successor chapter. I was just justifying their White Scars chapter tactics while saying that they don't actually know they're WS.

Since Imperial Fists and their successors are pretty Germanic, and Thousand Sons are Mediterranean/North African, I thought Kievan Rus might be a good medium. But hey, they're Your Dudes.

... Demiurg. Yes, the Demiurg. Possibly Ratlings. Certainly no other race of short stocky humanoids exist in the 40k universe, no sir.

Malice and the other lesser Chaos Gods need more love. Good to see they're getting them here.

Damn fine work for a newbie. I've seen veteran painters do worse.

Just finished my last squad of Vanguards yesterday.

Apologies for the horrendous lighting in my apartment. I tried using a flashlight to give me a little something.

I need to go back and add highlights eventually, but I was just trying to get them on the tabletop

made a draft of my timeline of significant occurences, but I need to redo a lot as I flat out forgot some events and there are more I need to lsit

I have to alter some of the numbers too, and make the boxes larger and easier to read

Thank you, I've been worried that I honestly am being too lazy or too quick on some of them but as time goes on I think im learning more about thinning, highlights, what parts to shade and seem to be making progress to something at least a bit better tabletop standard

wow user i really like that color scheme, tell me about your dudes if youve got anything

Sick. Is that stripe red or purple?

Ain't my fault you can't accept canonical possibility, but okay.

So far I've got 3 models done (basing is still WIP on the Devastator). But they're the Necron blasting, DEldar hating, Deathwatch golden-boys; the Lions Militant.

Iron Hands Successors with an unknown founding, the Knights of the obelisk betrayed the God-emperors light and left the Imperium after calling it a perversion of the Emperors will. The chapter has a minor flaw in it's geneseed causing random marines voices to become booming and easily able to hear over the battlefield, these marines are usually turned into chaplains. A known flaw in the chapter is that it is more akin to a cult then other believers in the Emperor, seeing him as an actual god with hundreds of titles each true in their own way, known titles are "He of the stars" "The king of light" and "He beyond". The chapter surprisingly has no chapter master to lead them as a known legend is that he went into the warp with ten members of the first company to wage war on chaos itself.
The territory of the chapter is a primitive sector in the corner of the Imperium, now held by the chapter who guides its inhabitants in a symbiotic relationship since the chapter needs the natives for new marines and those living on the planets need the chapter to stay alive amongst the horrid species on the planet. The chapter makes use of the humans there as Auxiliaries in battle. often entire tribes are led by a single marine. Needing a way to stay alive, the chapter sells its services to those that need them as mercenaries and accept payment in equipment and knowledge of current events of the Imperium. A unit the chapter seems to never have is jumptroopers even though they have been given jumppacks as payment on occasions.
Something the chapter lacks entirely are bikes and flamers as neither of them seem to be wanted by the chapter. A fighting style that is used quite often are bolt pistols and a power weapon since a marine can "Scream praise to he beyond as he shoots and cleaves enemies of the emperor". The chapter is at nominal strength as they use the last marines armour and geneseed for the next, thus keeping them from running out unless a marines body is completely destroyed.

As said before the chapter believes that they still serve the Emperors will and have modified some parts of the chapter to fit their beliefs, captains being entirely replaced by chaplains and not having any librarians as Psykers are killed since they think that simply killing Psykers will extend the emperors life.
Being Iron hand successors they do replace parts of thier bodies with robotics but this is reserved for those of high rank such as chaplains. An "ally" of them are radical inquisitors who tolerate their presence and employ them secretly. They are currently being dealt with by a regiment of the Imperial Guard but it is making little progress and will soon be aided by a marine chapter.

I made a Renegade Astartes Chapter called the Argent Avengers. They go around avenging all wrongs, small or large, by completely butchering the offenders. Guess what god they follow.

I have a planet called New Texas in my Sector. The story is a pre-AoT colony ship landed on the planet and the settlers named it after their homeland. They're the largest producer of grox and prometheum in the sector.

Forgot to mention their warcry is "WE ARE THE LAW"

My quickly painted admech detachment to go alongside my guard.

Wow, what model is that?

Does anybody know where I can find some good conversion bits for Adeptus Mechanicus and mutants? I have a bunch of ideas for all the factions but I can't find any good bits to make Admech characters. I also would like to find mutant bits to make a Tzeentchian cult army.

I'm currently building a regiment of Imperial Guard that come from a fortress world modeled off of different time periods of Germany with some eastern European thrown in. I'm currently searching for some bits to make a colonel that looks like an outlandish noble and a battle-hardened veteran.

What kind of bits are you thinking off?
Blight Wheel and Micro Art Studio do some minis that could pass as AdMech stuff. You can get servo arms from Anvil and Zinge. Anvil also produces bionic arms and legs in three sizes.

As for the mutants I'd say if you combine some random kits you can get pretty far. Orks, Kroot, Skaven, Zombies, Beastmen, Goblins, Ghouls and whatever else you can get your hands on. As long as it is vaguely humanoid you can just patch up the transitions with a few rags made from GS.
If you want something more uniform or glamorous using tzeentch iconography I think Reaper does make a bunch of Birdmen and you can find a few bird themed character models in the Bushido and Enigma ranges.

Kabal of the flayed skull. They like to shoot people and take corpses home.
I really don't have lore or anything for them, so here are all the vehicles I own that are painted.

For Admech anything really would do, I just feel like their small range doesn't allow to represent how diverse some forge worlds can be; I had trouble finding a good selection of Admech heads. Also for the mutants I was thinking of something along the lines of muscular ghouls, and I was going to add crystalline growths to their skin.

Nice work, for my kabal I was thinking of going with a sort of "hunter lodge" theme, where the goal isn't just to cause the most pain but the also bag the greatest prey.

Is this from Astropolis?

That's pretty cool. Would love to hear more about it.

>grox and prometheum

And prometheium accessories.

I have a chapter of marines whose vet sergeants are actually chaplains. They're so fucking serious about their God-Emperor that being a seriously-pious motherfucker is actually a low-level rank in the army.

Chaplains wear the standard color of their chapter (a deep emerald green to represent the Emperor's eyes). In their mind; "The faithful should not seek to have their piety be lofted above the rest. To elevate one's worship into a station of reverence is a Sin, for that in itself is self-idolatry and none should be idoled above the God-Emperor. Faith should be found within us all in equity, and faith has no colour or rank. Devotion to the God-Emperor is not about the man who gives it, but to whom it is given. All comes from The God-Emperor and all should return to it. He is devoted to us, and us devoted to him and to each other in turn." The Founder, M37.

Thus chaplains and leaders in this army are not spiritual leaders who are more pious, but ones who are good at gathering the religious spite and directing it at the proper place. The chapter master is basically space Pope of the marines, but if you call him a Pope he'd get all mad because it implies he's a religious leader when in fact he's just a leader.