Board Game General /bgg/ - Reorganizing my shelves edition

Last thread
Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

Ok /bgg/ how autistic are you really? Do you just toss your games up on a shelf/in a closet or are they organized somehow? Size of the box, alphabetical, genre, player count? Are you one of the many people who use a Kallax or do you have something a bit more personal? What about games that don't have a box, do you keep them in their clamshell/bags or go out and grab something like a Plano box, or go full DIY and make your own box?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu
youtube.com/watch?v=AnJsd__ZhIg
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1850275/dreadmire-retail-worth-it
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>>>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu
> All the Games You Like Are Bad
Isnt that youtube account already dead?

kinda miss it because Id like more game critiques than just explanation+I like it/dislike it reviews.

Another user keeps the pastebin, but quick google does look like he gave up because it "felt like work". I did like some of his critique but the attempted jokes and the overall production were pretty shit.

Thinking back on the conversation from the last thread, maybe the youtube thing is like BGG ratings on those games like TS/TM. You're not going to spend all this time doing videos (especially if it's not your job) unless you enjoy the game, so you won't see as much heavy critique. I mean who's going to go pay through the nose for something like Gloomhaven knowing they don't like it, and then play it a dozen or more times just to make a video to shit on it? Easier to just rate it a 1 on BGG, write something about how people are sheep and move along.

>but the attempted jokes
Yeah, it was really awkward. He made terrible jokes but then pointed it out himself thinking it would stick then.
>production was shit
dont care, even if it was taken with a 240p potato cam. Because reviews are aplenty, this type of reviewing isnt.

> unless you enjoy the game
Shitting on a game can be very enjoyable. The guy got a positive reaction from people for it.

>and then play it a dozen or more times just to make a video to shit on it?
Or you bought a game and then ended up disliking it but your group likes it so you have to put up with it for many playthroughs looking at its glaring faults. Then you take that rage and crystalise it in a video.

But apart from that, it doesnt matter whether you like the game or not. You can give critique on a game you like a lot. I like that he shits on games, I like it that he doesnt go for the basic explanation+opinion template. He instead focuses on the games qualities and shortcomings for 20 minutes. He reflects on the games strengths and shortcomings and puts it into perspective by comparing it to other games that did it worse and better.

>I mean who's going to go pay through the nose for something like Gloomhaven knowing they don't like it, and then play it a dozen or more times just to make a video to shit on it?
Usually because you weren't the one who bought the KS but you do know someone who did.

That's a good point, didn't occur to me since most of my groups don't do the KS thing. Would like to see some cynical bitter old man reviewing who's surrounded by KS fans. That'd be a youtube worth tuning into weekly

>Ok /bgg/ how autistic are you really? Do you just toss your games up on a shelf/in a closet or are they organized somehow? Size of the box, alphabetical, genre, player count? Are you one of the many people who use a Kallax or do you have something a bit more personal? What about games that don't have a box, do you keep them in their clamshell/bags or go out and grab something like a Plano box, or go full DIY and make your own box?
The board games are overflowing. I'm running out of storage space. Send help.

Main storage unit is a lovely old bookcase where the bottom shelves are behind doors. The games there... have clumps. Like all the lovecraft games are more or less together and if a game has a sequel or expansion in a different box said second box is next to the original. Otherwise everything just goes back wherever made the Tetris work.

From there the expanding collection has been taking over space wherever I can find it. I really need a better solution but my living space is fairly awkward so it's looking like floating wall-mount shelves are going to be the order of the day.

>Main storage unit is a lovely old bookcase where the bottom shelves are behind doors.
Holy shit me too, I'l post a pic in a bit.

>Ok /bgg/ how autistic are you really?
You've all seen my shit, it's not very autistic, no real organizational scheme. One 2x4 kallax has about half the collection in/on it.

>What about games that don't have a box, do you keep them in their clamshell/bags or go out and grab something like a Plano box, or go full DIY and make your own box?
I keep a bunch of simpler games like Rhino Hero, Love Letter, and No Thanks! in an army surplus ammo box.

>"yeah its a boardgame like risk and monopoly but then GOOD"
If those faggots ever say Risk 2210 is bad, I will cut them.

Buying more units is almost always better than buying leaders or cards tho.

What the fuck are you talking about, you fucking liar? You can't buy units in Risk 2210.

Question, /bgg/, on choices and options within games.

In a game, do you prefer;

>Making fewer choices from a larger pool of possible options?

or

>Making choices more often from a smaller pool of options?

B, though it depends on what you mean by smaller pool.

Also, A's fewer choices, which I assume you mean choosing less often would be shitty in terms of changing the course of the game.

Second typically results in a better designed game. If core mechanics are fun and deep you don't mind executing them over and over again.

I could be in the mood for either, but B is likely going to hit the table more often. A game with low downtime and low AP is just easier to find players for.

GUYS GUYS!

Forget about that shitty SJW expansion.

Vasel and Co. have posted their review about the TRUE heir to the Betrayal game series

youtube.com/watch?v=AnJsd__ZhIg

Not very with the shelves. But the insides are tite as fuck.

>stacking that many boxes on a wider box

That picture horrifies me but then I live in earthquake territory so I'm fairly sensitive about things that look unstable in high places over things that don't want to get crushed.

did you not see the 3rd shelf

Not very I guess. Some are stored sideways that probably shouldn't be. Endeavor has NOTHING bagged. Cleanup takes 3 seconds.

All my autism powers go more into imperial assault or the LCG to find things easier.

>paying attention to Dice Tower

What's the summary so I can confirm my view of them as faggots.

Friend of mine bought and we played it with a couple other fa/tg/uys, found it to be alright. Nothing top 10 worthy (or top 100) IMO but wouldn't mind playing it again since it's Spooky Scary month.
As for the video I agree that they should have went all out on some miniatures.

Does anyone else look at their board game shelf and wish they had spent money on literally anything else? I saw this cardboard samurai armor at the Uniqlo and it cost like $40. I thought it was fucking stupid to pay that much for just cardboard but then I immediately thought about board games.

I look at my board game shelf and pretty much regret every single big box board game purchase I have. I'd get more enjoyment out of some stupid samurai armor than I would a janky FFG licensed pile of poorly written shit that you play 3 times with your group before you all realize the game is busted. All of my smaller game purchases that are essentially decks and/or a handful of components have seen more play, had more complex strategies and have been enjoyed more than any abomination that had a table of contents for it's rulebook.

I wish I had stupid cardboard samurai armor staring back at me on my shelf instead of Arkham Horror + expansions which I thought would make the game better. Fuck, I wish I had just bought hamburgers instead

Auction that shit on BGG or ebay and get rid of it. It sounds like you don't even want to be here anymore. But if you really have games that you hate, get rid of them. Everything in life has only two values - the value you get when you use it, and the value that you get when you sell it to some other shmuck who buys it from you.

how the fuck do you convince someone to pay you for arkham horror horseshit in 2017

Put it on an auction on BGG or ebay, and I guarantee you that someone will message you about it. It all just depends on how much you want to sell it. If you give them market value price, you probably wont find a buyer right away, but if you go significantly below that value, someone will pick it up. Plenty of people just eagle eye auctions looking for a steal, I know that I do.

A bit, I sleeve all my games even when cards arent shuffled or barely used at all.
>Do you just toss your games up on a shelf/in a closet or are they organized somehow?
I shove all my games wherever I have room, in a closet, under the bed, on some shelves, in the desk.. I generally sort them by box size to maximize the number of games I can cram all over the room, I have a pretty hefty collection.
>What about games that don't have a box, do you keep them in their clamshell/bags or go out and grab something like a Plano box, or go full DIY and make your own box?
Only a couple game apply, I have story cubes and pit. I keep those in the bag.

Yea, the review pretty much went how I expected the game would be. If it weren't a WoTC game, they could've gone for a more oddball but more interesting retheme, like maybe Betrayal at Carcassonne, Betrayal at Catan or even Betrayal at Terra Mystica. I guess they will probably do Betrayal at the Death Star or [insert Star Wars location] when the time comes.

That's kind of the same reason I don't buy any big boardgames anymore. I did buy Kemet, though because despite the big box, it's easy to teach and easy for people to learn and people will always love that kind of gameplay. If a game isn't getting played, it's fucking useless. Any sane gamer wouldn't have more than 10 or 20 board games anyway.

Naw dude.
You sure you belong here.

40% MSRP for a quick sale, if you're willing to sit on them you can go high as 75%.

Just sell the games that disappointed me, even if it's at a loss, it's still better than hoarding useless shit you dont like.
I bought descent 2.0 and a shitton of expansions, played it a while and started hating it after a few plays. Sold it. I guess I only made back a third of the money I spent, but hey, I bought two games I actually like with the money.
I guess I could've bought TWO cardboard samurai armors instead even.

I bought Tzolkin: Mayan Calendar a week ago. Played it twice, I like it but I'm terrible at it. I think I need to read up on how others are playing it, because my scores are nowhere near what I'm reading about.

Also, I took the time to paint the gears and it looks quite nice. Far better than the beige.

>I look at my board game shelf and pretty much regret every single big box board game purchase I have.
Yeah, welcome to ameritrash. Have an unpleasant (and expensive) stay.

I implore you not to read up on strategy, it will ruin the game for you and will put you way above opponents who don't know anything.

skullgouge

>will put you way above opponents who don't know anything.

That's... a pretty good point. Alright, I'll figure good strategies out myself or not at all.

Much obliged, user.

Agreed, this has always been part of the fun for our group; discovering and coming up with new ways to use mechanics and new ways of thinking about the game. Like Dominion, our introduction to deck builders, and realizing the value of trimming the deck aggressively. Nowadays we won't touch Dominion because we've played it to death and so no matter what the set of cards we all know what we'll buy and it's all automatic play pretty much, the fun was getting to understand it.

>play dominion a bunch of times
>decide to buy money since I notice everyone is constantly drawing multiple action cards and that just kills your deck, youre better off with your starting deck
>it works extremely well
>after playing a bit more everyone thinks the game is busted
>look up strategies
>the whole metagame is just looking at kingdom cards and hoping there is a combo that can beat buying money
>be the only person determined enough to learn how to beat big money
>dominion is now shelved until further notice since noone else feels like putting in the effort

Yes, aside from a handful of kingdom cards silver strategies are superior. I just didn't bother to specify it further, figured anyone who knew Dominion well would be able to infer it.

Yeah but if I didnt bother to look up strategies online we wouldnt even play it to the point big money would be defeated. A lot of forums say like "big money OP we cant beat it this game sucks" and I think thats being a bit too quick. You can beat it, and I guess the fun is supposed to come from beating it, but that doesnt mean it is very well done.
I wonder why the designer left it like this. He seems to know the game very well from his forum posts, so undoubtedly he considered this issue, so why didnt he try to fix it.

There are so many other great games out there that I don't think shelving it at that point would be much of a loss. But to each his own, you got something out of looking up strategies from others, some people like netdecking, I get my source of entertainment from the discovery and experimentation rather than great play, so I wouldn't have much fun looking up a strategy and using it. Just as long as people find what they enjoy (in context of the group), all is well.

I *have* looked up some bits and pieces of strategy for Terra Mystica because I play that online with another group of people and they had already played it for a couple of years when they asked me to join, so I was getting wrecked in points. So yeah, context.

Yeah, the fact that you can shelve this dumb broken game by breaking its dumb broken universal strategy means, surprise, it's dumb.
Go play VotK or something.

my group doesnt own a not of games and it was a gift.
Ironically the guy who gifted it to me ended up getting raped the hardest

Merchants and Marauders looks fun as fuck. Is it worth? I just wanna be a pirate.
I already have Xia if that means anything and it's aight, if not a little loose. I've only played once to 7 points without NPCs though.

If not M&M, suggest me some games you love. I'm open to all types.

Roll for the Galaxy
Flash Point
Robinson Crusoe
Sentinels of the Multiverse
All of the Sentinels of the Multiverse expansion
The upcoming Sentinels of the Multiverse expansion
LEGENDARY: Marvel Deck Building Game
Space Alert + Expansion
Puerto Rico
Kemet
Blueprint

>Is it worth? I just wanna be a pirate.
Just play Mage Knight and burn all the monasteries you come across.

Oh, and Nations. It's Through the Ages but better. People don't rate it as highly even though they sorted several mechanics out in superior ways, but that's just because TtA has nicer artwork and was made by Vlaada. My sister hates it though, but that's because she forgot some rules and got a bit screwed over late game, probably would have won otherwise. Forced her 13yo son to stay up until 3AM to play it.

Smaller pool would be like 3 options on a given turn, you can execute one of them. You will have 30 turns in a game.
Compare that to 6 options over 15 turns.
you make an interesting point. Does this limit depth and replay-ability?
I figured the same. Option paralysis is an issue with my group in larger games, the issue however means the core options need to be super super tight and I dont think I have the capability to design that.

I prefer some shoving, gives me something to do at home when I'm all keyed up- sorting out the games. Its funny some people really try to help and others just sit over their pieces and don't even push shit to the center.

On a nearly unrelated thought, I do really need to fix castle dice- I've got cows+pigs and horses+chickens and its probably the shittiest to use organization I've ever come up with. Those damn things really need an old school coin dispenser belt.

I like to think I've gotten over the "buy mediocre shit find out it's broken", however I am the only one at our group who seems to want to up the class of games. I try to play others' games to find out what I don't like but it's shit like Stone Age and Sabetuer (well known broken and terribly boring).

The only two games I really regret dumping money on are Galaxy Trucker Anniversary and 51st State but several others I just have no desire to play more.

>Kemet
A perfect example- if I want to play Kemet I'm either going to have to find this user on the map or buy it myself.

post pics nigero

God dammit. See I always felt Dominion was dominated by experienced players, which is something in games I absolutely hate. The fact that it's a fucking gay ass single bullet point strategy that ass rapes anyone trying to have an interesting game just makes me all the more pissed off about it.

>Any sane gamer wouldn't have more than 10 or 20 board games anyway.

This sounds like the advice of someone who *ISN'T* serious about board games...

There was a thread on BGG about "what are you expecting (being shipped and KS)?" people were listing 120 and up for just
>pending

I felt a lot better about my little sub30 collection (not counting about as many traditional board games in the basement)

Speaking of which, what is the best traveling deck builder? Not micro, just a good solid deck builder that's just a deck.

People who collect boardgames are usually the people who don't play them.

Lurk moar and you'll see just how true it is.

The faggots who collect boardgames and 'fear missing out' on kickstarters are dudes who play a game an average of 0.5 times. More than half of their "collection" is never played and sits in shrink-wrap forever.

And when they *do* play something, it's invariably something incredibly basic and entry-level, mass-market gateway stuff.

>d sits in shrink-wrap forever.

>implying unwrapping a game isnt one of the greatest parts

Is the Bloodborne card game any good or is it one of those games where you play once and the novelty wears off?

>lurk moar

yeah what you missed is I'm out in the world playing actual games with actual people who actually play their collections; not the 17 or 18 weebs on here who never leave their mom's basement.

Please take a remedial literacy class, I never implied that you don't play games. (Not that I'd ever give a shit about what you play or don't play.)

>makes idiotic statement
>willfully misunderstands reply
>screams >go take literacy class

are you going to pretend you were being retarded on purpose next?

> I make blanket statements I pulled outta my ass...
> about how you're all having bad wrong fun!

Pardon us while we continue to point, laugh, and mock your whiny, friendless, 'poor-fag' ass.

See! We can make blanket statements too! And they *MUST* be true! Right...?

So user, what does a steady diet of Ramen and Exploding Kittens taste like? (Besides the obvious failure and despair?)

Dark Souls update tomorrow. Hoping for good news on the wave 2 schedule but with all this translation bungling who knows.

FWIW I've seen plenty of people like that - mostly in boardgaming cafes/bars. Addicts with 100+ games in their collection 1/3 of which is still shrink-wrapped.

>Feudum now delayed until after christmas/new years

Truly, life is suffering.

That Kickstarter page gives me cancer desu, the amount of senseless retards is spectacular

Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert?

Pls don't say Forbidden Stars. Forbidden Stars. Said it myself so you don't have to.

Whenever I look at Vasel's shelves behind him in his reviews, I know that there's no way he regularly plays even a quarter of those games, even for someone like him. Sub-30 is more than enough to have some kind of game for whatever situation.

That's pretty much true. The large majority of their games are probably not played more than 5 times.

>how austistic
I sleeve all of my cards thanks to getting into competitive MTG before returning to board gaming

>shelf
I currently have a 4x4 Kallax that's almost full, going to buy a 5x5 Kallax soon and make sure my collection never exceeds what I can fit in Tetris-style, while I re-use the 4x4 for other things in my house

B, almost always. the outlier that I can think of from the top of my head that doesn't fit either category but is still a great game overall is The King is Dead
>Does this limit depth and replay-ability?
no, Chicago Express and Imperial are great games that demonstrates this quite well along with most abstracts

for the most part I'm happy with what I bought, but I also made sure to meticulously research games before doing blind buys. my only real regrets are my earlier purchases like 7 Wonders, Warhammer Quest: ACG, MTG: Arena of the Planeswalkers and Mysterium. maybe Tales of the Arabian Nights as well, but I still haven't pulled it out yet

the expansion for M&M balances the game so that pirates have a better chance of being able to win, but you'll need to increase the game time by a significant factor for the most important balancing rule that is increasing the threshold for extra glory points by stashing more gold over time. that said, I'll happily waste a good four hours of my time playing this as it provides a good sandbox experience

It's kinda like Cutthroat Caverns but not bad, however there isn't a lot of variety and "not bad" is all it is.

Forbidden Love.

I’m looking into games with substantial miniatures, but I’m not into the whole futuristic thing so a lot of mech ish stuff is out for me. Was looking at the Conan game or the doom game, anyone else got a suggestion?

Are you prioritizing the quality of the miniatures over the quality of the game? Plenty of games with good minis but shitty or mediocre gameplay

Conan is pretty bad, considered that unless you pay a substantial amount to an ebay seller, you will only ever have half a game.

I have the D&D Cooperative Adventure System games and they are fun however they are certainly less substantial with minis than Conan.

Kingdom Death: Monster is the only real answer.

Hey, I got the HQ Quest Book and I'm wondering if the black squares in the map on the pdf serve any purpose. Like, is it a mistake or do they represent traps?

Does anyone have the rules for Ultimate Werewolf?

Check out the d&d adventure board games

>Question
Mostly they're just sitting in the closet or in the back of my car (not sure why, everyone else brings their own games... I miss playing Rum & Bones ;-;). The filler card games are an exception: they share the same box and are organized for easy setup, right next to my MTG M.E.U. Cube.

>Cashgrab of the month.
>It's still Baldur's Gate
I'm conflicted, user... I don't wanna fall for this fuckery, but Baldur's Gate hits me hard in the nostalgias.

It has nothing to do with Baldur's Gate other than the name.

My wife and I play Harbor because decent and replayable two player games are hard to find that suits our tastes, and it’s fun. We finally played it with 4 people and the game become a lot better and a ton more strategic and cutthroat. It really caught us off guard how much longer and more deep a game gets with this stupid thing.

I think it might be a go-to with the right amount of people since it’s easy enough to learn and each game is pretty different.

It's Betrayal where they wrote new "haunts" but using the same horror terminology instead of using a writer who knows the theme and proofreading. The components are theoretically better than the original, but still absolute shit compared to what other companies make. WotC doesn't have any interest in making decent products anymore, best to look elsewhere.

UW, not ONUW, user…

>can't be assed to check the files section
UW: Deluxe Edition has a role list, look at that; every possible role ever, so you can do your own version.

How is Xenoshyft: Onslaught/Dreadmire? I really dig the art and theme and although I haven't played a lot of deck building type games I do enjoy Legendary Encounters. I'm a brainlet so I really like co-op games.

Great medium weight COOP game, and has enough mechanics to prevent the randomness of deckbuilding from bloating the game up.
If you have to pick only one set pick up dreadmire. It fixes a million things from onslaught.
Being a COOP game you can play multiple roles as a solo experience. Turn downtime between players isn't all that bad because a lot of the game happens for you simultaneously.
One thing I like about xenoshyft is that your division abilities and your troops in your lane can also use their abilities on other peoples lanes during their combat, so everybody is engaged trying to help each other player.

So, just plain 'ol betrayal in a D&D setting?

Bingo, it's the same system just lifted and dropped onto the IP because why not? That Miami Dice user linked above, the one line that stuck with me was "you can have fun in spite of the game, or rather the game allows your group to have fun moments" which sound exactly like the original Betrayal to me. Even the BGG Origins preview couldn't make it look good back in June, and God knows those shills try hard to keep all the companies on their side.

Thanks, user. Sounds pretty dope. I'm gonna look into picking up Dreadmire, then.

Read this thread first before finalizing.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/1850275/dreadmire-retail-worth-it

Appreciate the link. Still gonna be picking it up when I get the chance, looks and sounds like a game me and my friends would like.

It sounds like a game me would like too.

>Terraforming Mars is almost 50% off on CSI
Worth it?

fuck me for only checking the entries of UW: Ultimate Edition

Well not worth it to me. I don't particularly want the game and people on BGG are still figuring out how balanced the different corporations are.

Now if you're talking about price versus what's inside the box, that's up to you.

Bezier made like 12 fucking editions of Werewolf/Ultimate Werewolf, easy to focus only on one. Hell at this point I'm almost amazed they make other games, then again a single franchise lets AEG and SJG do some fun side projects.