>Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread
>>

It's the quiet hours: what homebrew have you been working on today What campaign ideas? Share with us so we can call you a lovable oaf.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Us2ylGAwBnk
youtube.com/watch?v=15nNY7uofNw
drive.google.com/file/d/0BzYz82M7X95oM21YUy1oTWw5UE0/edit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for bikini mail.

Homebrew? Lots of races - I've been trying to figure out if an "arctic gnolls" role-filling race of wolverine people would work as literally reskinned gnolls or if I need to make unique stats because of things like cold resistance or ice-walking.

Campaign Ideas? An "Inner World" where the Underdark is the (still-vast) sprawling labyrinth between the surface and subterranean realms, full of bizarro races like non-evil amazonian drow-orc crossbreeds, bronze age neo!Roman hobgoblins, triceratops-people ogres and isolationist warforged armed with lasers.

Seems like that would be bad for your nipples.

I'm starting a new campaign and I've finished working on my first adventure in years. It's simple, and it's not very long but it has an open ending that could lead to something bigger. I'm pretty happy with it.

Seeing if I can fill out a second pass of Archetypes, refining the first pass, and codifying things, primarily. Getting someone that's actually gifted at such things get a map or two, have a few commissions to get finalized, and finish diving in and fleshing out major cities and outposts into adventure hubs beyond a single sentence.

A lot of work done, a lot of work still to go.

I have a set of magic items I'm always working on in the background. But for today I have been wondering about how Stone Sorcerer could be improved and I came up with this...

What if in Xanathar's WotC released the Stone Sorceror and they changed their 14th level Stone's Edge feature with this one?

>Earth Master's Channel
When you cast a spell that requires you to make a spell attack roll, you can spend 1 sorcery point and channel it through your weapon. As a part of casting the spell this way, you must make a melee weapon attack, on a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and all spell attack rolls hit automatically and are considered part of the single weapon attack.

Sorceror Spell Attack Spells:
Shocking Grasp
Firebolt
Chromatic Orb
Scorching Ray
Chill Touch
Ray of Frost
Ray of Sickness
Witch Bolt
Plane Shift

Other Notable Examples From other classes
Eldritch Blast
Inflict Wounds
Vampiric Touch
Guiding Bolt

Also, they are adding like 95 new spells to the pot. Does anyone want to see new Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade spells added in?

So would normal chain mail, except it's never designed that way so why would the bikini be?

Actually speaking of setting building, maybe you lot can help me. See, I was passing out the basic setting notes for our upcoming homebrew campaign, and one of the players freaked; called me an SJW and told me that this was blatant magical realming, then stormed off. The offending paragraph is below - was he right?

"Humans are the most adaptable of all the races in this setting, and this means they have the easiest time getting on with other races. They're not all diplomats, but human culture is more or less the glue holding together the other races. Humans readily form alliances with other races, their most prosperous settlements are usually mercantile-driven, and the biggest cosmopolitan cities always got their start from human diplomacy. This natural ability to adapt to and get on with other races makes interspecies attraction a relatively common phenomena; you will probably see a handful of interspecies couples and/or hybrid individuals in all but the smallest and most isolated human settlements."

>Homebrew

Not sure on how useful it is. It feels like it comes really late to be meaningful, especially with how many of those are cantrips. Not sure what you're trying to accomplish with it.

That said, I do hope they add in more weapon cantrips. I'd like to see a couple more of various elements, and I think it'd be neat to have a toned-down True Strike that let you swing as part of it to have a Divination attack cantrip.

Hell no. Oversensitive twit.

Sorta ruins the sex appeal if you're wearing something below it.

The fact that it's in their racial paragraph and taking up a lot of room does make it seem like it's a bigger focus than it perhaps is, but unless he's a HFY retard I have no idea why he'd get upset about 'half-elves are relatively common'

That player might be a white nationalist.

Modern chain mail can pull it off, maybe ye olde fantasy chain can too if it's made by a pro.

I don't think normal bras are made with only one layer.

>girl wearing a chainmail bikini over fullplate

Fund it

Nice repost.

Certainly the implication.

But I want to see her nipples through it.

Cut holes for them then.

You definitely sound like someone that supports miscegenation. And the fact that "in all but the smallest and more isolated human settlements," humans are spreading their legs and spreading the legs of other races commonly certainly is a little bizarre -- moreso that you gave it a major chunk of their racial identity.

>Not sure on how useful it is.
It makes it so multiple spell attack spells automatically hit meaning a spell such as Scorching Ray will guarantee 6d6 fire damage at level 2, make it so spells such as shocking grasp can be used through the weapon granting advantage on melee weapon attacks and remove reactions. Also, they are affected by weapon crits so it could potentially increase damage output for your cantrips and spells that do a lot of damage.

Lastly, it just looks cool, Twin/Quicken spell a Shocking Grasp then channel that into your weapon and attack all in one bonus action. And keep your action free for more casting or attacking.

Does it make it worse if half-dwarves (non-grimdark muls), half-gnomes and half-goblins are also on the race list?

>Earth Master's Channel
Having the ability written the way it is has some odd issues. Though I do agree with that it comes a little too late for what is essentially cantrip usage. Furthermore, the wording seems a bit wonky for things like:
>starting the ability with making an attack roll
>changing it post-action to a melee attack
>looping back around to a spell

It might be better off with something like:
>When you make a melee weapon attack, you can spend 1 sorcerery point. If that attack hits, choose one spell that requires a spell attack roll and expend it; add that spells effects and damage to that melee attack damage.

Google "chainmail bikinis" you'll see plenty of them. Its just a question if the in game blacksmith can make that quality, or even just the right design of chain.

Not overly so. On further reflection I could see him getting weirded out if it was centaurs or other heavily monstrous or bestial races, but that's all pretty fucking tame.

What's the best feat for a Warlock? Best feat for a Cleric?

How does a magic item armour/shield that reflects target spells on a high roll sounds for balancing the last boss? is this a good way to mitigate damage or is this broken cancer.

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of, when targeted by a ranged attack spell that he can see I roll a die6 , on a 1-5 it hits on a 6 the spell is reflected back at the caster? Am I better off with just resistance?

It just makes things messy and complicated. Also like, why isn't the setting just varying degrees of human?

There a plausible way to avoid that situation?

Trying to decide if an idea me and a friend had I worth putting in the the effort to try and make Wot4E monk not shit without a complete homebrew overhaul.

I believe my homebrew's coming up on completed by most of the feedback outside of maybe another adjustment to Venomous Metamagic ranges/costs. However, my only hang-up before calling it quits involves Forked Tongue.

As it stands, NPC disadvantaged Insight checks are less common (and thus less universally good) compared to the more standard expertise in Deception or Persuasion. On the other hand, that power is more useful to the PC as well as being easier to understand/harder to fuck-up. What do, /5eg/?

That's what I thought, especially considering Kingdoms of Kalamar also had things like half-githyanki, half-satyrs and half-gnolls. I just thought to ask of Veeky Forums's "wisdom" in this case.

I imagine that'd be highly situational. Best for what?

I can see where's he's coming from, you make interspecies relations sound very common, like about one in three people in human cities are either non-human or half human.
Remember that no matter how welcoming humans may be, it's still a two way street and only the minority of people from other races would consider living in a human city or having children with a human

I originally had the idea of allowing the feature to work with everything, but that would be too much. So what would be a more reasonable level for this to come into play for the Stone Sorceror?

Check out spellguard shield at DMG201.

Let's no forget that interspecies couples need not actually produce children. Maybe they're assumed to be adoptive parents.

Hmm that makes more sense. I would say has the proper wording of it. Granted, it might get a bit nutty if you can use that alongside Quicken within a turn, but even that's mostly just due to being able to garuntee every bit of a melee eldritch blast would hit or whatever.

It's also a bit odd in that it makes your casting stat far less relevant in the late game, since you wouldn't need it to hit remotely as often.

Personally, I'd just as soon have a setup to just do a Bonus action cantrip and have it be a sort of lesser quicken as a new way to use Sorcery points.

For Clerics, take the ASIs...well, I guess War Caster for a melee cleric.

For Warlocks, you might like Spell Sniper.

Reflecting Shield
+2 AC
When you are targeted by a spell or spell like ability that requires a spell attack roll you may use your reaction to make an attack roll against that spell. If your attack roll is higher than the spell attack roll deflect the spell back at its caster.

The shield has X charges, when it deflects a spell it loses a number of charges equal to the level of the deflected spell. The shield gains Y charges each dawn.

Or something like that.

This could very easily go very very wrong.
If the first spell your players cast against him gets reflected they'll just stop casting spells at him
You don't want a wizard to be reduced to flinging daggers for damage

Anyone have any experience with Bodaks?

Thanks guys

that's true, it probably won't happen though r-right

Just have him auto-fail whatever the first thing is, then he starts rolling after that. So it'll show that spells work, but they work randomly.

It might not be a great mechanic either way.

Which adventure is better for playing a hexcrawl: Tomb of Annihilation, or the version of Isle of Dread from the 5e playtest?

I think you could solve that by making it very obvious that it's a random chance thing, or making it tied to something.

Like, have a glowing magical rune that's orbiting him in erratic patterns, or have it be his familiar glowing with hellfire that dives in front of the spell and reflects it, but gets blasted into a far wall and takes a turn or two to scramble back into place.

Make it something your players can see and work towards circumventing after you show off that it reflects magic, rather than a random roll that they have no insight into. If it's a floating rune, they might make arcana checks to figure out how they can disable it, or make their rolls with disadvantage to represent them trying to time and aim it so it can't be reflected. If it's dependent on the familiar getting back, they might send someone fast over to go grab it, or have someone disable it with a cantrip before firing off their big spell once it's gone.

Brewing up a villain for my game. Want him to be a melee monster with a focus on maneuverability. Was thinking of giving him a Misty Step sort of ability that has a range of 60ft (up from 30ft for the original spell) and can be used as a bonus action, reaction, and legendary action.

Thoughts? Opinions? Is it too much? I really want him to be extremely hard to pin down and allow him to annoy both martials and casters alike with his movement.

Agreed with this wording is better and I did change it to that.

>Granted, it might get a bit nutty if you can use that alongside Quicken within a turn, but even that's mostly just due to being able to garuntee every bit of a melee eldritch blast would hit or whatever.
It might be, do you think I should make it so you can't use metamagic with this feature?

>It's also a bit odd in that it makes your casting stat far less relevant in the late game, since you wouldn't need it to hit remotely as often.

I disagree you still have spells that require saving throws and those will be just as if not more important than just burning sorcery points to add an extra set of weapon damage to your single targeted strike. Also, you are now forcing yourself into melee when you could just comfortably cast from a distance than do this.

>Personally, I'd just as soon have a setup to just do a Bonus action cantrip and have it be a sort of lesser quicken as a new way to use Sorcery points.

Can you explain this a little further? Do you mean expend sorcery points to cast a cantrip as a bonus action or am I misinterpreting this?

>Thoughts? Opinions?

MAJESTIC

My Cleric and Warlock both are playing Variant humans and were unsure of what feat to take.

War Caster seems like a good one, Spell Sniper looks a little underwhelming but I'll run these both by them.

Check out Strahd's skillset. He's similar to what you describe, but he's squishy due to being able to cast spells.

Just make him have a ridiculous ranging standing jump. If he only moves at half the possible distance he doesn't trigger non-reach opportunity attacks, because it's basically straight up.

So this is a pasta now? This is going to be a thing?

What's the rest of your build? Domain/pact/stats/ect. Also, can you use non phb feats?

They can always just pick up Lucky, it's good for everyone.

>flail snail

>Can you explain this a little further? Do you mean expend sorcery points to cast a cantrip as a bonus action or am I misinterpreting this?

Yeah, have it be a Metamagic that lets you cast a cantrip as a bonus action if you attacked with a weapon that turn, perhaps adding your strength or dexterity as a bonus and making it not get disadvantage for being in melee.

Then you could swing a sword, spend a point, and then Shocking Grasp or Firebolt or whatever as a bonus. Might not quite be the same as a spell and swing in one like you want, but it'd be more of a Mini-quicken or two-weapon fighting but with spells or the like.

I think that might be in more of a different direction than what you were after though.

youtube.com/watch?v=Us2ylGAwBnk

How do I build a chaos wizard that isn't a lolsorandumb sorc memer?

Magic Initiate for more versatility or flavor can always be fun. Some of the more skill focused things like Observant or Actor might fit as well.

Literally quicken spell.

I thought misty step originally had 60ft anyway.
Misty step completely annihilates a load of mobility shut-down elements which kind of takes the fun out of 'melee only'. It also doesn't really help against anyone flying really high above.

Have some sort of a thing where if he continues to move in the same direction he was last time he moved, he automatically dashes and leaves, say, a trail of fire that burns/removes stuff like ice which might slow them down. This way players can't avoid him by staying an extremely long distance nor can they go back and forth, they have to be a bit more active with their attempts to avoid and it adds more dynamic elements than just 'lol no he teleports to you'
Also some sorts of minions that can prone flying targets to send them towards the ground.

Alternatively, have plenty of cover he can use and while using cover he can do something else that annoys the players (such as summoning minions). The players can either destroy cover or spread themselves out to attack from all angles.

I think you have to make a lolsorandumb sorc memer. Or you could just add your own mechanic where you roll randomly for what spell you use, but that'd be dumb.

GOOlock Tome Pact and a Life Cleric. I'm not 100% sure on their stats. Rest of the party is a Vengeance Paladin, an Inquisitive Rogue, and an Arcane Archer Fighter.

Honestly we've not looked over the UA feats so I'd say for now no, but depending on how the table feels about them we could have them as options.

Very true.

This is pretty different than what I'm going for. I'm trying to stick to the Stone Sorceror's theme of making melee weapon attacks, so I thought about how some of the previous editions handled this with the Duskblade and PF Magus.

Forgot to say 1 sorcery point, which is why I said Mini-Quicken

Eh, Life Clerics still get heavy armor, I guess they can be heavy melee hitters.

Actually in that case he could also pick up Heavy Armor Master for a bit of mitigation. It's pretty good early on.

So a reverse EK?

It'd completely mirror what the eldritch knight does, except they cast the spell then get a bonus action attack.

Nice digits. And that's fair, although I would say that you might be better off making this thing a general metamagic rather than trying to swap out a high-level feature. That would make it available earlier while also not replacing the general damage feature.

Kind of, although I suppose in this case it would still be costing Sorcery points to do so, but would also be available from an earlier level.

Ok, so you take loremaster right?

That thing that let's you change elements? Roll a die every time you cast a spell to pick the energy type.

That thing that let's you change a save? Roll a die to pick what save every time you cast a spell.

That thing that let's you swap out a spell? Roll to see which spell you get.

>Make this a general metamagic rather than swap out a high-level feature.

You are not the first person to say this. What if I made it free instead of costing a sorcery point would that be worth the 14th level ability?

That's fucking perfect, lad.

>How do I build a chaos wizard that isn't a lolsorandumb sorc memer?
Make him a liar, power mad, fucking stupid (not in some cutesy bullshit way), make him a fanatic, or say he was forced to learn that type of magic.

My monk player is being a total faggot, what monster can I introduce that fucks up monks? Is there anything that's immune to stun?

>what monster can I introduce that fucks up monks?
Good players.

I'd imagine something that flies with ranged attacks/spells

>what monster can I introduce that fucks up monks?

two of them

The main reason as to why I don't want it to be a metamagic feature is that I fear it would invalidate the EK as they have to wait 7 levels before they can even cast cantrips and attack and that takes their action and bonus actions. While the sorcerors can just do it at level 2, with restrictions sure, but they can still do this all in one action/bonus action, which I feel might be a bit much for just any sorcerer to do.

Another monk that has mastered the art of creating an anti ki field.

Try a lava golem, can't be stunned hurts to be touched. Might still be hard to hit him with attacks,though. A fire aura that deals damage when targets approach will give him problems at least.

Jesus, trying to price very weak magical items -- really more of trinkets than anything else -- is a fucking pain in the ass. I half-wonder if they axed prices for magical items just because they couldn't be ass to do it. But then I realize this is WizKids we're talking about, and they'd have just half-assed it anyways.

If your DM has any kind of ban list, Lore Wizard's usually a given. However, if you homebrew/swear to whatever you hold sacred that you'll legit roll for the damage change/saving throw change, he may allow it.

Deva, especially if he's not Good aligned.

Well a healing potion is technically a magical item.

True, but then they also pretended to do spellcasting services for their Adventure's League whatever. Which led to different 1st level spells being given both 10g and 20g prices.

Checked.

Also, there's a PDF of fixed magic item prices that somebody homebrewed. It works pretty well and balances things based on if they're consumable and how common/strong they are.

Generally I'd say for trinkets or potions you'd be looking at a few hundred gold tops depending on what it can do.

>Generally I'd say for trinkets or potions you'd be looking at a few hundred gold tops depending on what it can do.
It also depends on who it's being sold to.

Doing anything halloween themed for your table, user?

>higher leveled/new characters for halloween special
>camped near the tomb of horror after a night exploring it
>a million skeletons and a handful of robust demons
>at night in thick fog
>party fells all but the last: a massive four armed four weapon'd Gelugon
>praises their valor and challenges the goliath barbarian to a duel, or offers to leave them in the peace they've earned for killing his weak men
>party see's he's packing amazing weapons
>game on, even lets him heal
>triple checks to ask if he is REALLY sure he isn't weak and wants to duel
>rages and 3 free attacks
>missed on 21
>eats 4
>realizes he can do NO harm to it: immune to nonmagical weapons
>persuasion roll "you're a coward you talked me into a fight when you knew it was unfair"
>tries to walk away
>vorpal longsword
>20

he spat on his body, took his greataxe, and walked away.

i made the chain demons clown flavored.

no, halloween is a stupid holiday.

Why wouldn't they? Cure Wounds is in more demand then say Animal Friendship

I'd probably run CoS again if I had some newbies

My party encountered a haunted mansion with a ghost in it recently, and after a series of spooky events and solved murders they've decided to try and find a body for the ghost to possess so they can have a second go at life and hang out with them some more.

Problem is I'm not sure how they'd go about that without them trying to just kidnap a bum off the street and shoving the ghost in that person, which probably wouldn't fit with their character's behaviors.

So right now I'm working on alternatives.

if they're in good with the local constabulary, why not ask for custody of a criminal sentenced to death or something and use him? why waste a perfectly good body because the dude in it is a dick?

or maybe a ouji board?

An otherworldly 'nightmare' creature started haunting my players a few years ago. As a holiday special session it was a fourth wall breaking shithead. I've since hat it follow them between settings and games. It knows it's fucking with the same people every year, but the poor characters have no idea why this thing seems to know them and hates them so much.

It's shit and dumb but we love it.

>ouji board
youtube.com/watch?v=15nNY7uofNw

Alright, time for campaign ideas !

I just started a campaign set in a world where a red wyrm just raised an army of dragonborn and kobolds and is rather rapidly destroying all humanoid cities ( basically, he's going to conquer the plane and nothing's going to stop him).
The players start at level one as drafted law enforcers in cities that are swarmed with fleeing civilians and the first units of the kobold army. They are tasked to investigate the appearance of non-hostile undead in the forest, that seem to slow the advance of the army. The players went to ask a night hag about what could be happening ; they are soon going to find out that a lich is apparently willing to "save them".
Later in the campaign, I intend the Undead lord to open a portal to another plane for all the humans that will have the time to pass at the cost of murdering the most powerful heroes of the world, turning them into permanent revenants against the wyrm.
Next, there will be a part of the campaign in the Shadowfell, on the road that leads to their new home.
The last part will be colonizing a new world that is still wild and free from intelligent life - or so it seems.

>can i buy one from a witch or vegan

>hours: what homebrew have you been working on today
Mystic fire knight, an arcane defender paladin.

Sorry I can't upload the PDF on mobile, here's the link: drive.google.com/file/d/0BzYz82M7X95oM21YUy1oTWw5UE0/edit

I think power wise it's pretty balanced, but there's too many complex abilities right now. Considering removing Improved Spellcasting completely and perhaps buffing 15th level.

What do you think of the aura, is it too niche/weak?