media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread
How would you feat an Alchemist Artificer?

Other urls found in this thread:

iourn.wordpress.com/2015/03/08/variant-and-optional-rules-in-5th-edition-dd/
rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/55090/while-using-wild-shape-do-i-use-unarmored-defense-or-the-creatures-armor-class
sageadvice.eu/2016/11/11/would-a-barbariandruid-in-wild-shape-use-the-beasts-stats-to-calculate-unarmored-defense/
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-january-2016
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'd take the feat called 'make them fucking rework artificer already'.

Reposting here since it is time to abandon ship.

mobile so you can run faster to your death.

What information should I have for myself on my DM screen?

Paladin Oath pros/cons?

In a party with a Barbarian (bear totem) and Bard (lore), if that helps with suggestions.

>monthly campaign cancelled for the second time in a row because the DM has a non-player friend over
>said friend lives 10 minutes away
?????????????????

I'd allow elemental adept to work for the alchemist mixtures, so elemental adept (acid) or elemental adept (fire). Lucky too, since alchemists only need 2 high scores and don't really have good feat support

What handbooks as the DM are essential? I have the Player's Handbook, so all I need is the Monster Manual? What about the Dungeon's Master Guide? I keep hearing that it's not essential.

The Rainbow Renegades

is arcane trickster at with 9 int viable?

Take a look at the spell list and see if you can make a build that doesn't use any that require spell DC checks.

The Shinryu Force

Athlete so you can catch yourself within your own thunderstones, knock yourself back 10ft and then stand up with only 5ft in order to gain an extra 5ft of movement that's not really much better than mobile but more fun

Take a look at the trove and see if it seems important to you. If you're a super experienced DM, maybe not. Otherwise it's a good investment.

If you're DMing, you should have the DMG and a spare copy of the PHB, especially if your players don't have one.

Yes if you just stick to buffs and utility spells, nothing with saves. It does make Green flame and Booming blade worse, which is one of the selling points of AT, that it can boost your non sneak attack damage.

Booming Blade doesn't use your casting stat at all.

For you lads that DM in real life, do you use physical copies or what's provided in the trove with your computer?

Now we're cooking

Physical copies, if there's a rules question I just Google " 5e" though

I have physical copies and a PDF app with every source book and UA for when my players are using them

Most things arcane tricksters use don't use intellect, really.

>Oathbreaker paladin
Strongest at-will damage in the game combined witih being a paladin for strongest burst, good party support, being vaguely tanky, etc
>vengeance
You can cast haste on yourself, I guess. That's about it. And you can get yourself advantage for a bit. It's the more offensive option.
>Crown
If the DM keeps avoiding attacking you, I guess this is nice so you can save someone's butt
>devotion paladins
Never worry about mind control fuckery ever among other things.
>ancients
Never worry about damaging spells.
>UA paladins
All retarded designs, fuck off.

I don't get what's so bad about conquest, after the later uas.

Crayola Conquerors.

So ancients might fit my party well as we have a tank, but I'd provide some anti-spell support?

>evil Paladins
Pure cancer.

Do you think we'll get xanathar pdfs day-of limited release (Nov 10th)?

Is Shillelagh+GFB a good combination for a Warlock who is stuck in melee range?

>keep hearing that it's not essential.
Owning the DMG is not essential, reading it is. Especially chapter 8

Honestly conquest paladin is the only alright UA paladin, but it causes cancerous 'All conquest paladins are evil! No, you're wrong, they don't have to be evil!' debates.

Speaking of
Not all conquest paladins are evil.

Nope.

Conquest is not evil

Rolled 15, 3, 15, 13, 15, 8 = 69 (6d18)

Orc Sorc

If your party has somebody throwing around counterspells or an abjuration wizard it's not as necessary, but generally it fits into any party, though I think devotion is better if you're more mobile as it has an attack option (+cha to hit as channel divinity) which is kinda nice and in theory I think they can surpress mind control by moving to where someone is being controlled, rather than having to actually be there at the time with ancients' ability. Also, ancients' ability doesn't stack with resistances I believe, so if you have a bear barbarian it won't help them.

If you want to be somewhat supportive and expect to be near allies and don't have a bear barbarian, go ancients. Otherwise, maybe crown.

Should there be a 1d8 Finesse slashing weapon?

Yes. Don't go out of your way to use it over Eldritch Blast (And you can sometimes use eldritch blast to push an enemy out of melee range, or certain abilities such as an UA fighting style can remove the 5ft disadvantage) but it makes a good back-up for the cost of one book of shadows cantrip and one warlock cantrip.

they're boning.

Take a Rapier
Make it Slashing
Call it whatever you want

damn now that is one fine piece of equipment

parry all day erry day and lop off unprotected limbs with ease
the roaches really know their shit when it comes to curved swords

Okay but consider the following:
>9+1d6 per stat

Also, when rolling for stats, do you prefer to:
>Roll for stats and leave them down as they go, form your concept from your random stats
or
>Roll for a six-number array, distribute numbers as you want on your stats

Rolled 6, 4, 3, 2, 5, 1 = 21 (6d6)

fuck i forgot my roll
somehow i always end up putting up "roll+" instead of "dice+"

Thanks. We're about to enter a series of tunnels that's quite cramped and I was worried about not having enough room to blast away. I don't have repelling blast since there are a lot of hitters in my party and I feel more often than not I wouldn't have a benefit.

Another question. What are the most useful Warlock invocations? There are a lot of them (especially when you add the UA Invocations) and it's hard to narrow it down to just three.

I always have my concepts before my rolls, so I distribute in an appropriate fashion.

What are the best and worst Variant rules in the DMG? Which ones actually improve the game?

iourn.wordpress.com/2015/03/08/variant-and-optional-rules-in-5th-edition-dd/

I'm intending on playing with hero points.

No. Piercing is the worst physical damage in the game, which is why the single strongest Finesse weapon does piercing.

If you want good weapons, don't dump STR.

>DM rolls up Hammer of Thunderbolts in SKT
>Use the party's massive fortune to buy up a Gauntlets of Ogre Power and a Belt of Hill Giant Strength
>Find out afterwards it's a maul and I can't use my +1 shield with it
>Stun myself inadvertently

Not going as I had hoped.

I think feats are universally liked, I'm not sure why they're optional rules.

yeah i've never run into someone who didn't allow feats
they might ban lucky or gwm or sharpshooter, but never the concept of feats

Not this old bullshit again.

There shouldn't be a 1d8 Finesse weapon to begin with.

Happening in my current campaign.

Better delete long bows and 2/3 crossbows. In fact, remove dex from the game entirely.

I'm gonna be using Injuries because I'm running a dark fantasy campaign and I can benefit from it. Maybe Fear and Horror + Insanity. Healer's Kit dependency is a must if you're running 'serious'-toned campaigns. Maybe Massive Damage too while I'm at it, but only after level 5 o 6.

If I went with a lighthearted heroic campaign i'd use Inspiration and Hero Points, and if I was doing a sci-fantasy campaign I'd use the cover rules too.

Both of these benefit from the guns and explosives in the DMG.

Variant Human is always in, but as a choice rather than an enforcement. Other than that, all the Action options are good, except for maybe Mark.

Equipment Sizes sounds good in paper and it should be common sense but it's surprisingly dogshit in practice.

Walk.

does your dm hate fun and variety

Are there any good home brews to make warlocks more "caster-y"? Only having 2 spell slots until level 11 is super oppressive, and always needing to reserve a slot AND concentration for Hex basically hamstrings you. Is there any way I can have the flavor and theme of a warlock without being a glorified fighter/ranger?

I'm playing a level 3 ranger (revised conclave of beasts), and the narrative of the campaign has it make sense for me to multiclass circle of dreams Druid. Is that a horrible idea?

Physical copies for the most part. I use the trove to look up the monsters in the campaigns that I don't know about and have found in Kobold Fight Club.

Everything besides PHB and Volo's I printed from the trove.

First campaign in 5e, our DM nixxed feats because he still had ptsd from dealing with the gorillion feats in 4e and decided he didn't want to deal with it. Current campaign, same group different DM, we're maxed at 1 combat feat and 1 non-combat/social feat. Honestly I'd prefer no limitations but there's still enough customization outside of feats for character progression to feel good so it doesn't bother me enough to complain

Why not? It's only 2 extra points of damage at best.

I'd make mark take a bonus action.

>I'm not sure why they're optional rules.
In order not to make players feel entitled to choose any feat they want, DMs should have the final word on what is or isn't allowed at the table

Last time there was an Alchemist Artificer in the party, the DM ended up removing the class entirely. It just doesn't work.
The player being a annoying metagamer didn't help.

>UA
>Multiclassing

>narrative requires i multiclass out of this ua class with an incredibly potent dip
:thinking:

What's wrong with alchemist?

How does /5eg/ feel about that critical role show? It's become my defacto throw it on in the background thing recently

>Level 14 valor bard, melee
What spells should every bard have and what goes good with being a decently good fighter?
>Destructive Wave, Forcecage, Healing Word, Polymorph, Circle of Power thus far

i binged 100 episodes of it in three weeks over summer break, i love a lot of things about it, but i hate marisha and the community with a passion

rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/55090/while-using-wild-shape-do-i-use-unarmored-defense-or-the-creatures-armor-class
sageadvice.eu/2016/11/11/would-a-barbariandruid-in-wild-shape-use-the-beasts-stats-to-calculate-unarmored-defense/

Can someone justify to me why a barbarian-druid's unarmored defense feature gives them better AC in their beast form?

A durable humanoid body shouldn't be able to transfer that feature to their bear or lion form, right? And using the creature's DEX+CON for the calculation seems broken as shit considering that beasts tend to have very high CON and their AC typically just comes from DEX.

I have a player who's really fighting for this and I need good reasons to tell him no.

I started with HighRollers so I couldn't stand watching critical role whenever I tried.

I've decided from watching it occasionally that I like playing in serious campaigns, but I prefer to watch/listen to more laid-back ones. As such, I really prefer The Adventure Zone, but I can't deny that Mercer is a damn good DM (even if he played Vecna like a pansy)

Its good but now that its gotten too big youve got to hate it by Veeky Forums law

or you can be your own person
crit role general will be around a while yet

How does climbing onto a larger creature work?
Just a contested check?

I loved it for a long time, but Marisha cheating in the finale ruined it for me.
Have you finished the show yet? You're gonna hate her a lot more if you care about concentration checks.
>he played Vecna like a pansy
Their first fight with him was more dangerous—at least 2 went down and went revenant. The final fight, nobody died. Why would you use meteor swarm when you're a near all-knowing god and could figure out when to Power Word: Kill the people you're fighting against? They've said throughout that they care more about the story than they do about the gameplay, so why would the great villain being a total moron?

It doesn't matter too much. Granted, I would like it if there was more incentive to use Shortswords and Scimitars, since those usually fit better thematically with a lot of characters compared to Rapiers.

It was mostly the artificer part, desu.
All in all, it was just a shittier wanna-be wizard, with skills that damaged the entire party so he didn't used them.

You must be 18 to post on this site.

Travis, Sam & Taliesin are great and I would love to play D&D with any of them.

i've actually just started watching high rollers in the downtime between critical role episodes, does it get better later? i'm like 7 episodes in and i dont hate it, but i'm also not getting drawn in like i did with critical role. the realistic 4 person party is appealing, but i'm hoping the players get more comfortable as time goes on

Rule zero, user.

>Marisha is the absolute worst
>De Paul>Joe>McGlynn
>Liam is edgy but at least he tries
>Orion is an ass and annoying
>Laura starts shit but gets decent
>Sam is damned good when he tries, but sometimes its just poop
>Travis is the best by a huge god damned margin
>Pike a cute
>Taliesin is alright, generally
>Matt can't run bosses for shit
>But holy fuck that terrain/miniature/model
>Skip the cancer ads
>Marisha is a fucking cheating whore
>The genuine feels RP is great
>The edgy feels RP is cringe
>They tiptoe around their SJW-ness in game, but it leaks through sometimes
>Combat is a slog, too many PCs, not enough enemies

There's no reason it shouldn't.
But you're the DM. You say, "It's too powerful," or, "Wildshapes weren't balanced with Barbarian AC in mind," and that's that.

>crit role general

Are you talking about this general or an actual critical role general? I've just been going through the VODs starting from ep 1 so I haven't interacted with the community at all. I've heard bad things, but I wouldn't mind getting a look myself to verify if that general actually exists

>what is university

>university students don't have a summer break

so the DM removed his character because he was bad at it?

It gets even worse for me trying to decide because Mearls says that you use the beast's stats in the Unarmored Defense calculation

But Crawford claims that you can use either your human form AC or the written AC for the beast. dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-january-2016
Sooo what do?
Yeah, but I really don't feel like fighting the guy on this. He's a real stubborn fellow, used to be my DM.

>Can someone justify to me why a barbarian-druid's unarmored defense feature gives them better AC in their beast form?
Because their beast form has more dex and con than them in their human form? It it doesn't then they'd have less AC.

>And using the creature's DEX+CON for the calculation seems broken as shit considering that beasts tend to have very high CON and their AC typically just comes from DEX.
What problems are you having? Dire Wolf with unarmored defense only has 14 AC and Brown Bear only has 13 AC.

>Can someone justify to me why a barbarian-druid's unarmored defense feature gives them better AC in their beast form?
It's an intended rules interaction? Barbarians are good at using their natural bodies to protect themselves, that can extend to using their, still natural, animal forms. Assuming part of it is mental, they can still block out pain or force themselves to operate in a certain way, even as a literal bear.

If they are a totem barb becoming their totem animals its even cooler.

I go with crawford for almost any rule decision because mike mearls is a gigantic annoying faggot

>adults with no jobs

Eh I kinda agree with them, neutral via ends justifying the means would work for one. But I really can't think of a way for one to be good though, the methods the oath demands are just too vicious and unnecessarily savage for that even if your intentions are good.

If there's a fight after saying "my table, my rules", you're doing it wrong.

Mearls gives opinions and how he might run it, Crawford gives official answers, publishes errata as needed, and acts as RAI incarnate.

My opinion for the first while was that I hated Kim. Trott carried my attention through long enough for Matt to become a lot more comfortable and Kim to be less annoying. After that I loved it.

You're not supposed to multiclass UA. I don't get why a Ranger can't substitute for a Druid. They're both nature classes, just roleplay.

>not being enabled by your parents to be a bona fide bum
psh, nothin personell