MTG Magic The Gathering Ask A Judge - 「 B L U E M O N D A Y 」

Good morning and welcome back!

If my oppenent charges me too much mana and more than a few turns and I respond by sueing them, what happens?

Floop the pig.

I have three opponent's. A, B, and X.

I cast cruel entertainment and twincast, the first copy swaps the turns of A and B, the second swaps B and C. What happens?

What if a third copy swaps C and A?

C, not X.

So, the Twincasted copy resolves first. Carl will control Barry during Barry's next turn, and Barry will control Carl during Carl's next turn.

Then the original resolves. Alan will control Barry during Barry's next turn, and Barry will control Alan during Alan's next turn.

So, the rub here is that we have one instance of "Carl will control Barry" and one instance of "Alan will control Barry". Luckily, the rules cover this already: 714.1a. Multiple player-controlling effects that affect the same player overwrite each other. The last one to be created is the one that works.

So, since "Alan will control Barry" is the most recently created player-controlling effect, it 'wins'. Alan will control Barry's next turn, Barry will control Alan's next turn AND Carl's next turn, and Carl will control nobody's turn. Sad times for Carl.

For a 'third copy' it'll depend entirely on when it resolves, since 714.1a tells us that the most recently created effect is the one that wins.

I think i'm reading this right but I have to ask. Does creating a token when you have 4 Annointed Procession's in play create sixteen tokens total?

yes
1->2->4->8->16

I have Drogskol Reaver and Bounteous Kirin out. When Drogskol attacks with double strike is it two serpate instances of life gain so I draw two cards?

yes it's 2 instances and yes you draw 2 cards.

say i have mairsil, the pretender and have both mimic vat and pestermite exiled with mairsil's first ability.

can i use the ability of mimic vat to make a pestermite token?

mimic vat's second ability reads

3, T: Create a token that's a copy of a card exiled with Mimic Vat. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.

>Alan
>Barry
But who was Zoom?

Yes.

For the mathematically minded, you can pretty much figure it out as "You get 2^N tokens, where N is the number of Processions". 0 processions is 1 token, 1 procession is 2, 2 is 4, 3 is 8, and 4 is 16.

Not sure how Bounteous Kirin factors in, but yes. You'll poke for 3, gain 3, and draw a card in the First Strike damage step, and repeat in the normal damage step. 2 instances of life gained, 2 triggers from Cagefast Ghostman, 2 draws.

You can't. Mimic Vat has 'linked' abilities. That activated ability can only 'find' cards that were exiled by the triggered ability to which it was linked... which is not possible, because Mairsil does not have said ability.

IT WAS ME, BARRY

Mairsil guy here, thanks for the quick response

I'm aware of imprint usually being a linked ability, just want to make sure that is true specifically in the case of mimic vat. with its current oracle text I'm not sure that it meets the definition of a linked ability. any help tgere wluld ve great!

New to the ebb and flow of MTG finance, but perhaps someone can give me a suggestion.

Would like to purchase Elesh Norn, Restoration Angel, and Austere Command for some mono-white shenanigans, but I know that these cards are being reprinted in Iconic Masters.

Is it worth it to buy now as everyone is trying to sell them off before the set drops, or will they hit much lower when Iconic Masters actually releases and everyone is cracking packs open?

Technically imprint has no rules meaning; it only exists to group thematically similar abilities, like Landfall or Hellbent. That said, I'm fairly confident that every instance of Imprint involves linked abilities.

607.2a. If an object has an activated or triggered ability printed on it that instructs a player to exile one or more cards and an ability printed on it that refers either to "the exiled cards" or to cards "exiled with [this object]," these abilities are linked. The second ability refers only to cards in the exile zone that were put there as a result of an instruction to exile them in the first ability.

So, Mimic Vat has a triggered ability that instructs you to exile one or more cards, and another ability printed on it that refers to "a card exiled with Mimic Vat". That meets the requirements for a linked ability, per 607.2a, so that activated ability will only ever be able to find cards that were exiled by the ability to which it is linked. And Mairsil doesn't have that ability.

I don't know a ton about finance, but I'd imagine that the best time to buy will be once Iconic Masters actually hits, and the supply increases. That said, we're not talking some 80% drop in value, most likely, so the question to ask yourself is whether you'd rather pay some 40 bucks to have the cards now, or wait a few weeks and pick them up for probably like, 30.

Thanks!

just wanted to be triple sure after reading it, wouldn't want to leave that much value unplayed

Yeah with these particular cards that's something I figured, considering theyre all decently desirable and have had recent releases

Okay, I'm a bit befuddled on something.
If you put multiple blockers in front of an enrage creature, they get one trigger.
If you have multiple creatures attack or block and all have lifelink, those are all treated as separate instances of lifegain, which is important for things that trigger when you gain life.
Is there something I'm not catching or am I creating some sort of false equivalency?
Give it a few days after release.
Funny thing about Masters sets, some of the cards that get printed in them end up becoming more expensive about a month after the set release.
Of course, the best advice is to invest in Rishadan Brigand.

Sorry for the delay! Back now.

Basically, it's different instances of damage... but all of it hits at once. Enrage is not once per source of damage, it's once per "time I was damaged", and it's getting hit by multiple things simultaneously. It's not terribly intuitive, I agree, but I imagine it was just to keep people from getting insane value out of getting their Enrage guy gang-blocked.

Can two people who faced each other on day 1 of a tournament face each other again on day 2?

Theoretically, yes. Once a 'cut' happens, whether that's to Top 8 or to Day 2, repairing is possible. It's just not super likely.

Cool, thanks.

If I play a black/blue card with dire undercurrents on the board can I choose different targets for the effects?

Absolutely. It's two different triggers, and there's nothing that says they have to be aimed at the same place. In fact, the 'intent' with Undercurrents is going to be that a blue/black creature will be a draw for you and a discard for someone else, rather than a loot for you OR an opponent.