Is it possible to design a robot that rolls 20 every time?

Is it possible to design a robot that rolls 20 every time?

Yes?

Yes.
Depending on the force, angle and many other factors, it's possible to throw a die as to ensure it'll land on the face you want.

This will take a very long time of extremely fine tuning to get right and the dice will need to sit in the robot hand the same way everytime, rolling on the same surface everytime, from the same angle and distance everytime, etc. But it's certainly doable.

How about you just make some loaded dice instead OP.

Do you really need to?
Unrelated, but technically you can make computer programm that rolls only when rolling 20 guaranteed.

What if it had to roll at a height of 3-5ft?

What are you not getting here? Assuming that all the factors are unchanging, the roll will be the same every time.

Make it vacuum tube and height is much less problem now.

Yeah, but in reality, factors always change. The real world is not ideal.

This.
I can roll d4s, d6s and d8 and get the face I want roughly three quarters of the time. I'm working on higher value die but the more rounded they are, the more difficult it is.

How about creating platonic form of d20dice?
> madwizard.jpg

>Is it possible to design
Yes, it is possible to design it. Construction and implementation may encounter further hurdles, but, theoretically, they can be overcome.

Any system or design can be exposed to additional stresses and factors that causes it to no longer operate at peak efficiency or effectiveness. So, regardless of the design, you could keep coming up with non-ideal scenarios to throw at it, which would increase the error (i.e. non-20 roll) chance.

but of course

What, like a loaded D20?

A friend of mine made one once because our DM was being a dick.

But then our DM stopped being a dick so he didn't end up using it.

I think he only ever used it once to seduce a Dracula or some inconsequential shit.

Would the Platonic form of a d20 roll a 20 every time, or be perfectly weighted so that you have a 1 in 20 chance each time of rolling a particular number?

I'd imagine it'd only roll 20s or 1s

>Decide to bring electronic dice roller one day for no reason
>Suddenly guy who brings his own dice gets screechy and aggressive. Refusing to use it.
Hmm I wonder why...

Because he paid for dice, so he's damn well gonna use em

Well not my fault he a stupid retard who wastes his money.

I'm assuming you want a machine that can take any d20, throw it onto any surface, and roll a 20. Yes, this is possible, but it's VERY DIFFICULT and probably extremely tedious, because chaotic systems are chaotic and a simple force/direction problem becomes exponentially more complex when you need to account for everything between rest state and end state.

Not him but it's really fucking annoying being a part of a group that won't fucking allow digital rolls and even gets autistic a out spin downs
(The d20s the mtg fatpacks include)

My only rule is you shake a spindown dice, don't just roll it. All the high numbers being on one side is what matters.

Do quantum fluctuations play a role in this type of determination?

Perfectly weighted. A die that gives the same result every time isn't that useful for holding games of chance.