ITT: Veeky Forums designs a new deck of many things. Let's use the Rider-Waite tarot deck as our base

ITT: Veeky Forums designs a new deck of many things. Let's use the Rider-Waite tarot deck as our base.

I'll start with the obvious

Instant Death

Death Card

>Your character is instantly reborn. Choose a different race and class form previously played and roll for new stats. The character is either brought to level 1 or stays the same level. The reborn character has the memories of the old one but might experience personality shift to a certain degree.

>deck of stupid things
>tarot again

bor-fucking-ing

The plaques from the original greyhawk deck don't correspond to any real world tarot deck. As such there is no DoMT card for The Magician, The High Priestess, Temperance, The World, Wheel of Fortune, The Chariot
The Empress, The Lovers, Strength, The Emperor, or Judgment (not to be confused with Justice). I want to be able to use my Rider deck without having to include things like the Eight of Swords and explain that it's actually "The Void" and you have to roll a new character now.

Queen of Cups - Gain immunity to all poisons.

Knight of Wands - Gain a fully charged wand of a 4th level spell. (GM determines what spell randomly)

Temperance - You no longer require food or drink to live. If you eat or drink, it will make you ill.

The Moon - You contract Lycanthropy. (GM determines what animal, I guess? Needs work.)

Why is Tower instant death and not, you know, Death?

Fine, let's make our own Tarot cards without using the Tarot cards themselves then.

iirc in Tarot cards, the Tower represents sudden destructive change, or ruin. I'm not sure why.

Death on the other hand means the end of something, not necessarily the end of your life. Death could be the end of something bad, in which case Death may be a good omen.

Centuries-old mysticism is weird.

Seven Heads- You are telepathically linked to seven other people, randomly chosen from across the world. When any of them die, you telepathically link to two other people. If you die the link is forever severed.

>The Ocean
>Everyone forgets who you are

>Shackles
>A demon, fey or celestial gains a lifelong Geas on you that can only be dispelled by a Wish or divine intervention

>The Hourglass
>Choose one: Age an additional year for every year that passes, or your age decreases by one per year from that point onward instead of increasing

Red Judge- All crimes committed by you have been discovered.

>the scale
>all your states are re-rolled

>The Shield
>Gain Proficiency in two saves of your choice

Justice: Until the end of the day, every creature within 30ft of you is subject to the Discern Lies spell, with you designated as the caster.

Judgement: The card summons a Solar. The drawer has no control over its actions, but it is automatically Banished after one hour.

The World: You immediately enact the effects of the spell Time Stop.

>The River
>Plane Shift to a random plane and location, then receive a new draw

Mule- You can only be damaged by psionic effects if you choose to. You cannot be charmed. You are immune to the effects of physical or mental stress.

>Haunting Gaze
>You're transmuted into stone

>The Spark
>Gain the ability to cast any two cantrips

Death represents sudden change, and The Tower represents chaos, ruin and stuff of that nature

>Dammit, I rolled Mississippi.

I understand the idea behind your interpretations of Justice and Judgement, but would you make the World stop time?

>Night
>You lose your eyes and gain blindsight with a range of 30ft

Jojo memery

It's a JoJo reference, m80. The main villain of Part 3 has a punchghost called The World that lets him freeze time for a few seconds.

Genuinely a JoJo reference.

Though I can see how it kinda fits.

>iirc in Tarot cards, the Tower represents sudden destructive change, or ruin. I'm not sure why.
Have you ever noticed the Tower represented on the card is the one of Babel?

This is cool

The Tower represents sudden change and material destruction, but in a way that may leave you better off spiritually if you're prepared to accept the loss.

So sudden death, but you get to make a will save to come back as some kind of nifty incorporeal creature..

This could be a bit overpowered.

Did JoJo write a song about the world stopping time or something?

The Death card in tarot represents a usually difficult and unavoidable change that cannot be returned from, but not necesserily literal death. Most of the time the change is interpreted to be beneficial in theong run if one accepts ot, or at the very least not causing more harm than good.

Maybe instead have it destroy all of your personal property, but can make a will save to gain any magical properties they had as innate abilities but at a reduced level?

I agree.

Could create cool roleplay possibilities.

Mafe me chuckle.

JoJo is a manga and basically every character has a ghost dude he controls and uses him to fight, each one of them has a special power and they were named after Tarot cards (at least at the beginning, since then they were named after songs), the main antagonist has one named "The World" and its power is stopping time.
I hope that explains it.

Maybe only one.

The Fool

Wis 2
DM's permission to be That Guy
Hijinks ensue

Sure, one could be fine, too. I was just trying to balance these cards with the very real chance of death or character derailment that other cards have. Enormous risks, enormous rewards.

The Grey Snake- All creatures proficient in history or religion mistake you for a figure of legend.

Strength

Best girl.
Weakness to hugs and headpats.

I was going with the assumption that we are creating a deck from scratch. If it is going to be in the Deck Of Many things than it is fine I guess.

>The Harvest
>Age 10 years. 10.000 GP appear in your possession

The Black Cathedral- One hostile entity becomes charmed by you.

It was really hard to make this card without using Judge Dredd.

Mercykillers (Sigil faction) would be perfect fit.

Long story short, the cards have a symbolic meaning that doesn't map 1-1 with those cards associations in current, popular culture.

Throw me an artwork if you can.

Sure. I like the idea of a toned-down DoMT that isn't 90% certain to wreck any campaign it's introduced to.

Just put his head in the background somewhere, like in the window.

I am %70 sure we could manage it.

The Orphan- The character must draw all cards from any deck he finds.

Now that is just ridiculous.

>Haunting Gaze

Miscreant Prince- Gain Twelve diamonds worth 1000 gp each. A kingdom is driven to ruins.

I like The Orphan, but that effect is trash. Let's just use the one for Death that was posted earlier: Your character is transmuted into a child with no parentage. Reroll your stats, choose a different race and class. They stay the same level and keep their memories, but their personality may change as you will.

Admittedly not much of a deck.

What did you use to make these btw?

Gimp with a poker card template.

Is the self a subset of everyone?

Unfortunately no one in my playgroup would know what the fuck I'm referencing

What did you just call me?

> the Scribe
> A book containing an epic ballad of your entire life from a third party perspective starting with your birth and ending with you drawing the card appears.

All you need is more fun cards that will change the story up without just wrecking everything

>The Corvid
>You gain the gift of flight. Someone else loses it. You each gain knowledge of the other.

>The Harpist
>The music of a harp accompanies you everywhere you go. Its tone changes depending on the situation your in. Complimenting the music you may hear a faint shy "thank you".

The Frog
>For a year and a day, you become a frog

>Blue Thief
>All physical evidence of your crimes up to this point vanishes and restitutions are made to your victims, but not in your name.

On second thought, Blue Bandit sounds better, doesn't it?

>Red Thief
>All physical evidence of your crimes up to this point is discovered and an outcry is made for your capture and trial

That's just Red Judge, user. I was trying to make a parallel to it. Come up with a Yellow alternative isntead or something.

Shit your right, I should pay more attention to the thread sorry

>Yellow King
>A 1/4 of the people within 200,00 mi2 have visions of you and begin to revere you as a god.

Should there be alternate effects for reversed cards? That's a major part of tarot readings.

Well, it is, but with a deck of many things you're not really making a reading, are you? You draw a card and it has an effect by itself. The whole point of tarot readings is the large amount of possible combinations and arrangements.

>The Drunkard
>You feel consistently hungover unless you have consumed alcohol within the hour. Also any poison that enter your body through your mouth no longer affect you.

The DoMT is less about the interpretations of what you draw and more about the semi instantaneous effect

The Pebble

Your soul becomes divisible and sought after for its uniqueness. Gain 1d4 + 1 to your Charisma.

>The Anvil or The Blacksmith
>A random piece of your gear gains a powerful magical property, but at cost of cursing you with an irreversible body deformation.
>The curse is not transferred if the item is lost or stolen or used by someone else.

Damn, we getting greek.

>The Ship
>You become the target of bad fortune yourself, but people who have suffered unduly always find their way to you.

(Can use Noah's Ark for the picture, but it's inspired by Nausicaa)

>Hourglass
>Brings you back to before you drew a card

We already got an hourglass.
Also, bad idea.

>Quagmire
>The closer you and who you deem your wost enemy get closer the harder you both find it to walk

Ten of Cups: You radiate a spell of control weather for 10 days, causing peaceful skies wherever you go.

Nine of Cups: Gain 9000 gold.

Eight of Cups: Geas/Quest is cast upon you, nature of spell is up to GM.

Seven of Cups: 7 additional cards must be drawn immediately.

Six of Cups: Enables you to speak with plants for 6 days.

Five of Cups: Two of your attributes increase by 2, while three decrease by 2.

Four of Cups: You gain the ability to cast mage hand at will.

Three of Cups: You gain 3 cup sizes.

Two of Cups: You gain proficiency in alchemy.

Ace of Cups: Grants you a chalice to which two Succubi are bound. They will do your bidding for as long as you hold the cup. Should you set it down they will abscond with it for some abyssal Succubus ritual.

>ties chalice to hand

>They perform the ritual while you're asleep.