Think of a setting. Got one?

Think of a setting. Got one?
Okay, setting of your choice is now owned by Disney. If it's already owned by it, think of an abstract company, that is even more corporate and greedy. You're a writer for that setting. You've been told to make it more family friendly and commercial in order to appeal a wider public. Assuming you have no choice, what changes do you make to that setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XkU23m6yX04
youtube.com/watch?v=ZNFLqNFp2qU
youtube.com/watch?v=A8_WBqpdu2g
youtube.com/watch?v=x1YkHJJi-tc
youtube.com/watch?v=VuJTqmpBnI0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I thought of Song of Swords.

Trembling, my boss's instructions ringing in my ears, I open the upper right drawer of my desk. Contained within, a bottle of Evan Williams and a small handgun.

Somewhere in hell, Jimmy Rome laughs.

>child-friendly? Can do.
>make the horror implied rather than explicit.
>put in killer comic relief, but have it be plot-relevant, such as having the protagonists start laughing at the bleakest possible moment to signify their despair, or make the antagonist look evil by making really inhuman jokes.
Plenty of things can be done that go over children's heads, but are meaningful to adults.

>Plenty of things can be done that go over children's heads, but are meaningful to adults.
If only more people could understand that. Being family friendly doesn't mean being absolutely sterile.

Warhammer Fantasy

I roll out Age of Sigmar

I thought of the Forgotten Realms. I would just do what TSR did in 2e and take out all the sex, or at least make the writers be subtle about it.

In Homeland, the first Drizzt book, the way drow celebrate graduations is to summon demons and have blood orgies with them. TSR allowed Salvatore to include this sequence so long as he used PG terminology. So it's not like it's hard to work with these constraints.

I thought Age of Sigmar. All you need to do is replace the chaos gods with goofy caricatures, like Khorne the God of Anger and Slaanesh the god of Too Much Fun.

Help

>Darkest Dungeon
>Just make it like Miitopia, quirks included
Also kingdoms heart world because fuck you

You can use Slaanesh for those PSA episodes about drugs and stranger danger.

My setting was a Viking homebrew. It has (among other things) shapeshifting, weather-controlling witches and bearserkers who turn into actual bears. I guess it'd be pretty easy to give it the Pirates of the Caribbean treatment..

Mage awakening.
Players basicaly magic superheroes fighting monsters. Somewhere in the middle of the book there are rules for evil shit like blood rituals and soul stealing, but it hides under pages of regular fireballing stuff. No fluff on those things. So book will be capeshit and stuff, but someone will stick to those edgy things and uncover horror and hubris themes. Let it be a journey for those who can see.

>Star wars
>aready owned
Well, at least we're getting a goot tabletop game

I set fire to the building and run

>If it's already owned by it, think of an abstract company, that is even more corporate and greedy.

>an SW tabletop by GW
Well, the miniatures are going to be expensive as shit.

>40k
>Help
Implying this hasn't already been happening for decades?

>MGE

make the monster girls fill in for some minority (or all of them)

I find it hard to imagine disney ever touching MGE with a ten foot pole

And thus, we must do it for them.

>Warhammer 40k
Hoo boy.
Well,
>Slaanesh is either gone, or made the Chaos goddess of Parties (or, freedom, depending on how political you wanna get).
>remove gore, make all the sided more star-wars-esque in terms of violence.
>Guard Commisars are stern, yet always there to lend a hand, and actually care about their units.
>Orks remain pretty much the same, just less blood.
>Deldar gone.
>Harlequinnes less creepy, more marketable
>Tyranids toned down to be less existentially terrifying.
>Chaos toned WAAAAAAAY down, Khorne blood and guts imagery replaced with just vibrant red armor and war cries not involving Doom level rants

Oh, and of course release one 40k Movie per year until the franchise is deader than Seinfeld

>Remove the rapist, will-breaking Satyr
>Replace them with mean bullies
That's about it. You forget how raw Disney can be.

>Goofy caricatures
>Disney

HEYA KIDS, JOIN CHAOS, HE-YUK!, GORSH!

What does MGE stand for in this context?

Hollow Earth gonzo adventures.
>Disney-ified
Literally inspired by Atlantis: the Lost Empire, so not much changes. Maybe make the escaped Nazis a little less obviously Nazi and we're good to go.

Monstergirl Quest, the E represents the several different stories that take place within the world.

monster girl encyclopedia

I agree with but OP says Disney owns it so

Nah make it like reverse princess stereotypes.
>Monster girl kidnaps prince
>Lady knight has to save prince

>Deldar gone
Your creativity is weak and you'd be out of a job quickly. Deldar are the easiest to convert to Disney tier villains because they ARE Disney tier villains. They shoot lasers at vehicles and poison darts at the people who valiantly escape the crashing wreckage. The poison guns knock everyone out so they can take them all back to their evil lair in the evil city where they chain them up in their evil dungeons. Some of them get thrown into the area, some of them do mundane slave labor, and some of them get turned into franken monsters off screen.

Disney version of blood bowl seems like it would take some of the fun out of it but it would still be fine

>make it like reverse princess stereotypes.
You mean like Frozen except without incestuous undertones?

>WIP OC setting I've been fleshing out
>Defining feature is that the earth is composed of the corpses of gods slain in the primoridal wars for cosmic dominance, while the stars are their souls lodged in the firmament
>Meteors are literally falling stars, godsouls dislodged from the heavens, and cause monster outbreaks as their proximity to earth awakens the godflesh earth is made of into twisted shapes
>If a falling star reaches earth the crater forms a bizarre hyper-magical dungeon, ruled by a distorted abomination of an undead god

...Why did Disney ever acquire this setting again?
I suppose if you take away the godsflesh/godsouls/Lovecraftian zombie god abominations element and just make it a matter of "generic fantasy setting where falling stars happen to mean bad news" it could be reasonably family friendly.

>>Think of a setting. Got one?

>My own Homebrew setting that's Hellraiser, Devilman, Dresden Files, Perfect Blue, and a little bit of cyberpunk thrown in a blender.

>Now owned by Disney and they want a family friendly version.

I got a dump-truck full of money and lolis for this, right?

>Right.

Believe it or not, I'm prepared for this. Back in the day (right before the Great Recession tanked this project), I worked on two separate strands, and wrote two separate pitches for this setting, one of them overtly kid friendly. Kind of a Dr. Who by way of magic wand instead of time machine. Could work with a tone and subject matter similar to Gravity Falls with a twist of Filmore, both Disney properties.

+Some of the macabre themes like cannibalism could be played for laughs.

+The demons and devils can stay as generic monsters, but the occult references would need to be obscured.

+/- I don't know what Disney's stance would be on the amount of gender bending that goes on in this setting. Like breast implants for men being considered fashionable.

-The Faustian elements would need to be completely sanitized. Though could stay in some very neutered form.

I'm quite intrigued. Can you share something about this setting?

Sounds good, to be honest.

Sorry user, this would be breach of the contract.

Some have described it as being like Mercedes Lackey on bathsalts.

Fuck off.

GW here.
Thank you for your ideas.

Sadly, I'm not very familiar with Mercedes Lackey, so I guess I don't get the comparison.

I was talking about more general details of the setting. Not any particular branch, just the overview. Can you share something like that?

Did you see ?

>Nechronica
NOOO
I quit my job. And set Disney HQ on fire.
Alternatively CGDCT - there's just no way to keep what I like about Nechronica (gratuitous suffering mixed with occasional hope spot) and have it be more "family friendly"

In many ways it's an exploration of Sunk Cost Fallacy and Escalation of Commitment in a universe where encountering magic tends to cause problems that can only be solved by more magic. And the ways you get more magic are not pretty.

>Warhammer 40k
>Owned by Disney

There's just one thing I want, only one simple thing. I just want to see them do a Disney movie out of it. I don't mean half-assed either. I want it on the same level as The Lion King, Beauty and The Beast, or The Little Mermaid.

That would mean musical numbers. O_O

>filed under: Shit I Didn't Know I Wanted.

You know you wanna see Horus sing a version of this with the Mornival as his backup singers
youtube.com/watch?v=XkU23m6yX04

>Engine Heart
>Essentially Brave Little Toaster after humanity has gone, with a lazy Shodan running the internet.
>Owned by Disney
No changes necessary. Don't even need to tone down the 'After the end' aspect.
If I did change anything, I'd probably make the rampant AIs in charge of everything even more villainous and evil or at least exceptionally petty, but probably not.
I give it a Toystory 3/10.

Mutants and Masterminds.

I release a Marvel splatbook.

Gee, that was hard.

>[Mournival]
>Yeah, be prepared! We'll be prepared! ...for what?

>[Warmaster Horus]
>For the death of the Emperor!

>[Mournival]
>Why? Is he sick?

>[Warmaster Horus]
>No, fool, we're going to kill him. And Sanguinius too!

>[Horus Aximand]
>Great idea! Who needs an Emperor!

>[Luna Wolves]
>No Emperor, no Emperor!
>*Lythany starts at the background*

>[Warmaster Horus]
>Idiots! There will be an Emperor!

>[Mournival]
>Hey, but you said...

>[Warmaster Horus]
>I will be Emperor! Stick with me, and you'll never face his tyranny again!

>[Sons of Horus]
>Long live the Emperor!

Veeky Forums sings when?

>Veeky Forums sings when?
For starters, I suppose we should throw some ideas.
Under the Seer - Eldars of Ulthwe singing about rule of Eldrad
Friends on the Other Side - song of Magnus the Red
Can You Feel the Love Tonight - performed by Fulgrim
Part of Your World - inspired by Love Can Bloom
I'll Make a Man Out of You - training montage of Cadian regiment supervised by Creed.

>Destiny
Man, fuck you.
I can't make that child friendly for todays kids.

>Friends on the Other Side - song of Magnus the Red
Only if he does it like this. But I also think it could work as a song for Arhiman as well.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZNFLqNFp2qU

>Can You Feel the Love Tonight - performed by Fulgrim

I don't know, aren't you forgetting a better song for that?
youtube.com/watch?v=A8_WBqpdu2g

>I apologize in advance for the lewds.

I thought of Magic: the Gathering
Thank fuck, now that we're out of Hasbro's clutches, literally anything we do will be half as commercial!

>Star Trek
So they'd retcon a bunch of new shit and ply us with nostalgia-series set around TOS and TNG... I mean, I know it would be bad, in the long run, but maybe Trek could use a bit of canon-trimming.

Oh, so we're not restricted by Disney. Then here's a new suggestion.
Forbidden Colors - song about not thinning your paints.
youtube.com/watch?v=x1YkHJJi-tc

hell fire sung by cortez

Star wars has been family friendly since day 1. What's the problem?

Why not Vulkan?

Or Uriah Jacobus?

My suggestion: "Guilliman".
youtube.com/watch?v=VuJTqmpBnI0

Under the Seer
Under the Seer
It was an error
To cross Eye of Terror
Take it from me
While Mon-keighs worship corpse all day
Our craftworld drives us far away
To death we boatin'
In Eye we floatin'
Under the Seer

meant to

You could do it in Fantasia. They did Night on Bald Mountain. This feels like it could be similar, just more cosmic

>Hellraiser
>Devilman
>Dresden Files
>Perfect Blue

Wait. One of those is not like the others. Isn't Perfect Blue just set in, you know, ordinary, modern-day Japan?

I could tell you, but /co/ would show up and forcibly drag me to /trash/, then leave me there, and probably set me on fire.

Look, Hiveswap finally came out and reminded me I had years of puzzle webcomic to catch up on.

>the prince doesn't want to be saved

>Wait. One of those is not like the others.

Perfect Blue is also full of demons. Just not the supernatural kind.

Right, see, you're being metaphorical there, but in terms of setting details you're not actually saying anything. To reiterate, Perfect Blue is set in the REAL WORLD. So when you say the setting is a mix of Hellraiser and Perfect Blue, what are you including Perfect Blue for? Hellraiser's setting, IIRC, already includes the real world. What does Perfect Blue bring to the table that wasn't already there? Are there just a lot of idols with mental illness in your setting? Lots of people with dramatic split-personality disorders? Help me out here! What are you trying to say?

It's just genderbended Beauty and the Beast, the lady knight is femGaston.

>Right, see, you're being metaphorical there ... What are you trying to say?

I'm saying it's metaphorical.

Exalted.

i'm not sure how they would change that, given certain setting elements.
like malfeas being ripped inside out.

you could find a way, but im not sure how
Ebon dragon is probably the "easiest to adapt"

But what's the point of the metaphor?

>self-made homebrew setting made part for the lols, part to clear out old ideas i can't fit anywhere else.
>owned by Disney.
I still hold all the power, tho. IF they own the setting, they agreed to my very stringent contract which gives us equal ownership of the setting. I will veto a lot of things, most especially musical numbers unless it's composed and played by high-end rock or metal artists with minimal or no contribution by the voice cast.

The setting's pretty good for episodic stuff, though. It's wholly based around exploration and discovering new things. One episode the heroes fight off an invasion of Junkers, hyena-based Ork knockoffs with a matriarchal society, and the next one is spent trying to get the group wizard from destroying the world with a new brand of chronomagic. Or trying to disirradiate the cleric before she turns into an arachne. It'd probably be the finnish Wakfu, except slightly more lewd.

>Mickey Mouse Planeswalker card when?

Make the Monster-girls the princesses. Make it Zootopia, Princess edition.

>tfw you'll never have to survive in a monster girl town where all the princesses went savage

>slightly more lewd
It's Disney, my dude. There's no way you're even getting it up to original Wakfu standards of lewdity.
>I still hold all the power, tho. ... they agreed to my very stringent contract
Disney's fleet of lawyers going to look like pic related once you leave the meeting saying stuff like this

But i'll be leaving with my setting unmolested. They want the setting, they agree to the terms. They don't agree to the terms, they don't get the setting.

>Hey user, what if your setting were bought by Disney? How would they change it?
>It wouldn't be. They wouldn't.

>Hey, user, if you were had to be stuck on a desert island, what book would you bring?
>I don't need to bring a book. I can swim to shore.

you're missing the point you dumb cunt

Many of Disney stories are essentially 40k plothooks. The Hunchback of Notre Dame? Poor inquisitor fighting witches and mutants. Pocahontas? Guardsman consorting with greater good xenos. Mulan? Sister of battle fighting the chaos hordes. Frozen? Crazy unsanctioned psyker went rogue. Only the Emperor's New Groove would have to be renamed.

Huh. So i did. I'm sorry, i just got done cleaning the entire house, i'm not the most attentive right now.

How they'd change it...Junkers would be made softer and fluffier or slated as the token villain species.
Rumormongers would get removed altogether.
Doyls, living doll people, would get their origins drastically changed, since i don't think kids imbuing wayward souls to their toys is a particularly good role model.
Mmh...at least two gods would conveniently be on vacation.
And of course, there'd be some godawful role model aesop every episode.

No musical numbers unless written, composed and performed by high-end rock/metal group, though. That's the only thing i'll put my foot down and not budge an inch. If it means the party warlock is played by Jussi69, all the better.

>Tomb of Horrors
Cartoon, Adventuring party progressing through the tomb, played completely straight.
Don't alter a single thing.
Just no gore and the entire thing, including deaths, especially deaths, are played up for comedy.
When characters die it's cartoonishly stupid, like if a character is eaten it's eaten whole and perfectly clean bones are spat out. crush hazards leave 2d bodies, etc. Like old Loony Toons.
Whenever a TPK happens, hear the director call cut and a new party is brought in to try again.

Damn it. Now I want to see this done as a movie.

>Delta Green
I need a new job.

To draw a comparison between two works with similar tones, themes, and to some extent subject matter.

Hellraiser and Perfect Blue aren't that different. Particularly the 5th and 6th installments have similarly buggered lines of reality: the primary difference being whether or not the source is supernatural - a distinction I find EXTREMELY superficial in this context.

If that doesn't answer your question, then it's just not going to happen.

So, nothing changes?