Game-changing shit like Diplomacy and Stealth use the same resolution system as completely inconsequential shit like...

>game-changing shit like Diplomacy and Stealth use the same resolution system as completely inconsequential shit like Climbing and Basket Weaving

Basket weaving saves lives
Anyone who ever fought a fey-creature knows that

Obligatory but completely unironic "Have you tried not playing DnD" response.

Or, you could stop playing a game that's almost 20 years old and notoriously bad.

And other things said by people who have never played roleplaying games

Name a system where that isn't the case.

The Dark Eye, there's a thread up right now.
Basically skills have different categories which cost different amounts of XP to level. Craft skills, as well as Languages et cetera are rather cheap, whereas combat skills are pretty costly.

This game is so obscure that I can't even find this alleged thread.

Still the same resolution, which is what this thread is about.

Weirdly enough, TSR-era D&D doesn't use the same resolution system for that stuff.

Especially if you go back to OD&D, where diplomacy is a 2d6 reaction table with adjustments, stealth is a 33% surprise check, and climbing and basket weaving are roleplaying.

I'd just chalk it up to universal mechanics eating up subsystems, I guess, except WotC never made a good alternative to the reaction tables so who the fuck even knows anymore.

Also, of course, Craft(Basket Weaving) is a lot more complex and drawn-out than Stealth or Diplomacy because why the fuck not.

well, for starters 4e and 5e rolled everything strength related into athletics, so it's also jumping, running, swimming, etc. to make it more valuable, so it's not like it's even an issue with all of D&D.

Burning Wheel is the only one I can think of.

A number of narrative games where skills like Climbing and Basketweaving are as narratively relevant and game-changing as Diplomacy and Stealth?

>inb4 "not real rpgs"

>Name a system where that isn't the case.

3.PFag BTFO

Now I’m trying to picture Dogs in the Vineyard where a player is using basket weaving to uncover a demon in an old lady social club.

>Implying DnD 5e isn't just as bad and doesn't have just as many complete and utter fags in their playerbase.

One system was named in all of those posts.

No? You still resolve athletic shit and basket weaving shit and stealth shit and diplomatic shit in the exact same manner.

Its original title is "Das schwarze Auge" and it is the RPG with the largest community in Germany. It is akin to D&D her, in that regard that it is easiest to find a group for it and nearly anybody (including people that hate it) who plays RPGs at all has at least played it once.

I guess I see your point.

If you do "more important" shit in 4e, that usually can/should be handled by a skill challenge.

So if it's just vaulting over a wall or asking for a price cut from a merchant that's a single athletics/diplomacy.

If you want to climb a mountain while carrying the rest of your group on your back because they are all damn sissies, it's a skill challenge (though admittedly, the others should also participate, but for once the STR/CON fighter will be shining out of combat), just like trying to convince a king that he really should lend you his army/magic items/etc.

That’s not true. In 5e you just weave a basket of your character knows how, stealth is rolled against a passive or active check, and diplomacy is rolled against a target number.

Three different resolutions for three different rolls.

You might not believe this, but having a consistent conflict resolution system is a good thing.

>Now I’m trying to picture Dogs in the Vineyard where a player is using basket weaving to uncover a demon in an old lady social club.
I had more or less the same thought, because that's a perfectly viable situation in DitV.

That's not really correct, though?

Going through the quotes in order:
>The Dark Eye (a.k.a. Das Schwarze Auge)
>TSR-era D&D (i.e. OD&D, Basic, AD&D 1E & 2E)
>D&D 4E & 5E
>Burning Wheel
>"A number of narrative games" - no actual named system
That's at least two non-D&D systems called out, two other D&D editions explicitly named, some number of other D&D editions not named but given enough information to infer, and a post that doesn't really name any specifics.

So, at the very least, four systems were named in all of those posts.