Why are players so entitled and lazy...

Why are players so entitled and lazy? I've GM'd for just over 10 years and it's amazing how only about 1 in every 10 players is actually worth GMing for. The other 9 will always without fail do any combination of the following:

>not learn the rules/system
>not arrive on time
>cheat
>not role play
>try to pull some minmax bullshit they read online
>constantly be on their phones
>unable to shut up for more than 5 seconds without cracking some meme or joke: ruining the tone I'm trying to build
>not shower and smell like ass crack
>not pay any attention to the plot at all and constantly ask questions
>refuse to cooperate with the party
>constantly try to sabotage my story for shits and giggles

Now you're probably thinking "Wow bro, why do you even GM at all if you hate it so much?" Well that's the thing, I actually LIKE GMing and that 1 good playing I find out of 10 makes it all worth it but the other 9 consistently grate at me and make me burn out for weeks at a time. So tell me, why the fuck are so many TTRPG players like this? I know it's not ALL but it's sure as shit got to be at least half of them which are just braindead, inconsiderate, selfish cunts.

Because 9 out of 10 people in real life are braindead, inconsiderate, selfish cunts, regardless of what you're doing or why you're spending time with them.

If you live in certain parts of the country like me, raise the ratio to 19/20.

this is why I game w normies. it smells better, the food and drink is better, and doesn't require the social redirection that you'd need to use in order to avoid a 3 year olds temper tantrums
I'll take the le epic upboat reddit insults all day, it's a lot more fun and relaxing to play when you're not sitting at the high neckbeard council of self proclaimed genius faggotry

A lot of this sounds like issues with low player investment. Have you treid focusing less on the story you want to tell, and more on giving the players a chance to contribute to that story?

That's not a guarantee, unfortunately, but even good players can be uncooperative if they feel like the story is being forced on them.

I've GMd several games, not just DnD. I've faced the same problems in every single one.

This. A lot of people who aren't into the whole nerd thing tend to be way more cooperative. People deep in the culture are cancer.

>not arrive on time
I agree, those are the problems. Talk personally with problematic players. If they ignore the issues, just don't let them to play.
Usually open communication with players solve those for me.

>cheat
Unless player is irredeemable person, they usually cheat when there's a reason to cheat. It can be an indication, that you might be unfair to players. However, I usually ignore cheating unless it's very blatant.

>not role play
Try to encourage players to roleplay. For example, give a bonus XP or whatever your system uses instead for good RP. But actively talking IC with the party often works for me, because it shows an example to follow.

You're free to override it as a GM, if you feel, that it spoils the process.

I have a rule for phones. In the beginning of the session I put my phone on the specific place on table and ask players to do the same. Works like a charm.

>unable to shut up for more than 5 seconds without cracking some meme or joke: ruining the tone I'm trying to build
Either ask them not to do so or count it as their IC response.

Terms "plot" and "my story" may indicate the way you involve your players. If PCs have a personal integration with so-called plot, than they will more likely to pay attention, otherwise they're more likely not to care unless you're an expert storyteller.

Playing online can remove 3 of those problems
>cheat
On die rolls
merges with

You know how athletes are drafted into sports leagues according to their level of competence so that they can play with and against other athletes of a similar caliber? If you play well you can eventually play professionally.

You are not a professional.

If you've been at this for ten years the law of averages has long since asserted itself in your hobby. This is not a fluke or an aberration, you are a shitty GM and that's why you're dealing with nine shitty players out of every ten you try out. You're probably just a shitty person overall, it would explain why you can't attract people who function on an extremely basic level. You should try reading your greentext list out loud and and then, still aloud, ask yourself what all of that says about you.

>projecting this hard
t. that guy

># of ttrpg players
># of professionals
> something something equivalence
>law of averages
you also should probably be reading your own post aloud, if only to reflect upon its sheer idiocy

They won't sabotage your story if there is no story.

You are a shit GM then.

I got 3 randos and 1 experienced player for my last campaign, first game I had a bit of that, second game they were so immersed that none of that happened, we have been playing for 15 sessions now and I have 3 really invested players and one that is serviceable.

Stick to modules if you cannot create a compelling game.

>players who don't learn the rules/system are the GM's fault
>players who don't arrive on time are the GM's fault
>players who cheat are the GM's fault
>players who don't roleplay are the GM's fault
>minmaxers are the GM's fault
>players who can't turn off their phones are the GM's fault
>players who can't shut up are the GM's fault
>players with poor hygiene are the GM's fault
>players who don't put forth any effort are the GM's fault
>players who fuck over other players are the GM's fault
>players who try to destroy the game are the GM's fault
You're an absolute moron

You know, all of this can be mitigated by playing with your friends (GASP). You know, the people you surround yourself with that aren't complete dumpster fires. If you play with random people from the lgs or whatever, you deserve every bit of punishment.

>players who don't learn the rules/system are the GM's fault
Yes because you coddle them
>players who don't arrive on time are the GM's fault
Yes because you are a beta pushover, "sorry for being late user" "hehe... don't worry... n-problem"
>players who cheat are the GM's fault
Depends on how bad this is, it might be your fault for not kicking them out
>players who don't roleplay are the GM's fault
50/50 here, you are probably not giving them opportunities or the space to grow
>players who can't shut up are the GM's fault
Yes, you control the pace of the table
>players with poor hygiene are the GM's fault
Yes, you should filter them out, fat people and people with poor hygiene should never be part of your table, at all
>players who don't put forth any effort are the GM's fault
If your storytelling, world, and GM abilities are so low then yes, why would you put effort into some subpar game?
>players who fuck over other players are the GM's fault
>players who try to destroy the game are the GM's fault
Your game is so boring, poorly built that they find a way of having fun in an awful tabletop experience

Grow up kid, blaming other for your own problems won't get you far.

Way to prove my point. You think I don't filter out people with these traits? The problem is that they're so permeated in the playerbase that replacing one player just leads to another player with one or more of these traits. Keep projecting though, sounds like I touched a few nerves.

But normies suffer from the flaky issue, a total inability to learn rules, and about 50/50 chance of being unable to roleplay

At least half of thise can be reigned in with people management skills. I know it's a terrible thing, but you will have to develop thoseif you wish to get any number of people to do things with consistency

Of course people people are going to have 1 of the many problems you listed. Nobody's perfect. I'm sure if anyone viewed your GMing under a microscope it'd be shit too.

The number of neckbeards I've seen who can't roleplay worth a damn is pretty large.

But all of those problems I mentioned aren't exactly high standards to adhere to.

>Why are players so entitled and lazy?
Because you're a bad leader and as a result no one respects you. You should stop GMing.

A player stole his girl and now he's out for revenge

By saying all players suck

>All the triggered players ITT
The fact that people are getting so butthurt shows that OP is completely right

samefag

>t. guy incapable of kicking it with normies

kys

Wait, they fail to do all those seemingly negative things?

Also
>my story
youre a shit gm.

Veeky Forums is becoming Veeky Forums

>not arrive on time
>cheat
>not role play
Understandably shit players.

You should practice saying the narrative alone and time yourself.
More than 2-3 minutes at a time and it's shit.

And you're a shit GM.
At least you made me read till the end of your meme arrows.

>trying this hard

Because those 1 out of 10 players usually, almost without fail, become a forever GM because the other 9 players will never run a game.

All the reasons you stated are reasons why most people get stuck as forever GMs, because it's either be a GM or have little to no chance to actually play a TTRPG.

One guy I played with for a couple of sessions seemed to have thought that roleplaying meant describing everything in excessive detail. He'd rattle off this list of what he's having for breakfast, lunch and dinner, prepared in this or that way, and how he'd eat it. But after 5 sessions, I still had no idea who his character was (apart from that food obsession). A complete blank slate, apart from the fact that it said on his sheet "Background: Noble" and that he was playing a Cavalier.

The other party members were an Inquisitor (who at least tried to play a person and not a class) and the most stereotypical dickass chaotic evil rogue imaginable (DM killed him off, thankfully).

These guys had apparently been playing for 15+ years, but there wasn't much depth to show for it.

MONKEY DIET NOW