How would you react if HBO announced that they had the rights to a Horus Heresy TV series?

How would you react if HBO announced that they had the rights to a Horus Heresy TV series?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fr3vOBNZ0gs
youtube.com/watch?v=jD4hD9CuBcM
warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Lho-Leaf_Tube
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That would be alright. For once they could probably improve on the source material.

Who will be playing the emperor?

Buzzfeed's reaction would be apocalyptic to say the least.

Two candidates:
Stephen Dillane
Liam Neeson

cause there are no women in HH?

If be reasonably hopeful they could do a good job of it.

Young Arnold.

They can't make it worse.

Val Kilmer

that and the general cultural cancer of "hurr durr YA is so symbolic!" that has taken hold in pop culture. It'd actually be refreshing to see a tragedy of great men falling as opposed to "look at this teenager stamp her feet and cry! Isn't it symbolic?".

Having the cast read TTS lines at conventions would be the icing on the cake

Tommy Wiseau

You're TEARING ME APART, HORUS!

Oh hi Vulcan.

Depends on who they announced was running the show.

I'm sure GW would tell D&D to fuck off.

Still hope they can get Jack Gleeson to come back and play perturabo.

youtube.com/watch?v=fr3vOBNZ0gs

I think it will be a double negative

the few female charcters have to be stripping/naked/fucking while delivering their lines

i imagine it being like that old naked news site

also it would be hilarious to see a tide of normies getting "into" warhammer

I'd say screw that, and make a series about a Rogue Trader Crew instead
I guess this could be the only (good) way to bring the 40k universe to a bigger audience
the Horus Heresy series could still be done later tough

HBO is cancer so I would be pretty pissed.

Neil Bloomkamp has asked twitter about 40k at some point, saying people kept telling him he'd be interested in it.

>also it would be hilarious to see a tide of normies getting "into" warhammer
was thinking the same
I would show them the most fucked up and retarted stuff of the universe first

>I would show them the most fucked up and retarted stuff of the universe first
And people wonder why the 40k fanbase has such an ugly reputation...

you

You say that but dog poop is still dog poop even when it has been sculptured into a flower

is it wrong, to be nice to normies and introduce them to the rest of the universe?

What the fuck is this, Groundhog Day? Every fucking time this thread shows up, these sorts of posts appear. Now I'm just waiting for that same douche to post his actor picks, and everyone to say "no not that one, this guy instead, but the rest are good".

we have had so many fucking threads about this same exact garbage that I get violent fever dreams about this.
Stop.
Please.

With apathy. HH is a mistake already made, I don't care if it's going to drag even further.

Yeah these threads are shit.

I'm sick of people wanting validation for their hobbies by wanting companies to make films or series of them.

Why do we have this thread so often?

bezos

that shitty lore podcast is getting a show. anythings possible

It would never get the budget to do all that glorious power armour justice.

>implying we wouldnt get the armor designers from got

its a practical depiction lol

More like it would show how fucking retarded the power armour is

Armour in GoT is mostly shit so i guess they could do the garbage that is 40k armour

It would be too filled with pointless sex scenes to be any good.

Brian Blessed would be the perfect Russ.
And if he's not the perfect Russ we can damn well change Russ to fit.

>validation for their hobbies
nice projecting man
sometimes it's just nice to see stories you like acted out in movie or theater form
keep being a pretentious douche, it suits you

Emperor: I'll kill you, you bastard!

Horus: You couldn't kill me if you tried.

Emperor: You betrayed me! You're not good. You, you're just a chicken. Chip-chip-chip-chip-cheep-cheep.

As long as David Simon is the showrunner I'd try it out.

Emperor: "I'm not the false Emperor, it's bullshit! I'm not the false Emperor, I am NAWT!....Oh hai Erebus."

Erebus: "Hey, Emperor, what's up?"

Emperor: "I have a problem with Horus, he says I'm the false Emperor."

Erebus: "What?! Well, are you?"

Emperor: "No, it's nawt true! Don't even ask! What's new with you?"

I would pay a vast sum of money for Tommy Wiseau to star in, write and direct the Horus Heresy movie.

They're going to make it even worse than it already is.
Never trust mainstream media

Even more reason to be happy.

>YASSS FULGRIM SLAY QWEEN

I can already hear the normies. No. Don't give 40K over to the mainstream.

>b-but user 40K IS mainstream!

No, it's not. It's the big fish in the small pond of tabletop games, which are themselves not very openly popular.

What about a Ciaphas Cain series?

Reese no!
I know the Chronicles of Amber series is doomed to be disappointing, but until it fails me, I want to hold out hope that everything goes perfectly for it and it has no competition.

Idris Elba

HBO would just make everyone black, gay or a woman

armor in got is utter dogshit

Oh god he's right

But who will they get to play Vulkan then?

Mirth and glee.

Semiserious answer: HBO probably would make some of the Primarchs minorities (and personally I would be okay with this, they're supposed to represent ALL of humanity, not just white dudes), but sex never was a big part of Warhams (save Slaanesh). Instead, they probably would change the characterizations of pretty much all the supporting characters to be more acceptable to their viewing audience. They probably would make Grammaticus gay or bisexual but only bring it up once. Lotara Sarrin would get a ludicrous amount of screen time.

Dog shit sculpted into a flower could probably be sold to MoMA for a few thousand dollars.

brace for preachy "hurr religion is bad" fables everywhere, even though the Emperor was proven to be autistic for believing that and basically caused the Horus Heresy due to how he treated Lorgar and Horus

Okay, but setting aside the frothing anger of "THEY CHANGED A THING," I'd actually really enjoy seeing Elba play Emps.

It could actually work. If they play up the "divorced from human emotion" angle, Wiseau's performance could be used to inform how out of touch he is from the galaxy.

That accent though! He sounds like Ahnold if his voice went down a few octaves and got a major concussion!

young Danny Trejo

*Shudders*

Canon races of primarchs:

Pure White Space Aryan:
Sanguinius
Guilliman
Lion
Russ
Fulgrim
Dorn

Sickly pale:
Curze
Corax
Mortarion

Semi-white in appearance, possibly mixed:
Horus
Perturabo
Angron
Ferrus Manus
Alpharius

Asian:
Khan

Nonwhite race, unique appearance/home planet related:
Lorgar
Vulkan
Magnus

>Semiserious answer: HBO probably would make some of the Primarchs minorities (and personally I would be okay with this, they're supposed to represent ALL of humanity, not just white dudes)
Yeah, no, that's just diversity pandering bullshit. It doesn't matter if the Imperium of the far future is canonically the same as modern demographics (accounting for genetic drift), or 95% britbong, or actually 80% Mexican, or whatever, it doesn't matter.
What does matter is that you respect and maintain the canonical features of the characters, and for most of the primarchs that mean's they're white.

The big issue is actually Vulkan, iirc, because isn't he described as being phenotypically Caucasian, but with black skin?
They'd need to find a heavily mixed actor that still has dark skin to properly play him, or go full retard and bring back blackface.

Nothing inherently wrong with blackface, would probably upset a lot of people(SJW faggots and racebaiters) though.

I'm fine with Vulkan portrayed as a black guy though.

The important thing for you to understand that people who would actually care enough to do it right will never, ever put the cash behind it to make it happen. The only way for something like this to happen is for it to be based on current HH books and turned into an abomination with all the extra diversity and trash to pander to disgusting modern humanity. 2 hours of crap with a minimal budget is realistic, even 10 episodes of HBO or Showtime will never, never happen.

Don't remind me, user.
That said, I think the thread is about "what this would be like if it was done right."

one part, hype
one part, AHHHHH! THEY CHANGED A THING!
and one part, dreadnought lust

youtube.com/watch?v=jD4hD9CuBcM

Too much LHO

I would pass a kidney and once I learned that it was terrible, I would pass my other kidney.

Isn't Lho supposed to be not!tobacco ?

I've thought about this before, and it would be good to get the audience invested in the heroes and universe before Chaos shows up and causes them to start killing each other.

Introduce the show as being about Sanguinius, when the Emperor first lands on Baal. Sanguinius is this angel in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, and he cares about the people under him, protecting them from mutant horrors; he then is given a chance to fight for humanity as a whole, when it is revealed that his true nature is a Primarch. He is portrayed as a divine being forgiving and understanding to the human condition, a contrast to the religion-hating Emperor who is aloof and machiavellian, but together they are father and son and fight side by side for the same cause.

Horus is brought in early on to be Sanguinius' best friend, as in the lore. He is proud and noble, a great leader, a secondary protagonist in his own right. They fight alongside each other well.

The first season would have many episodes highlighting the discovery of different Primarchs, flesh out backstories. Mortarion and Fulgrim should fight alongside Horus and Sanguinius frequently, though their personality flaws would show through off and on. The end goal of the first season should be to overthrow the major alien powers in the galaxy and liberate humanity.

Season 2 is where the dissent starts. It starts dwelling deeper on the interactions between the Primarchs, the Emperor and his agents, and the philosophical points of the Great Crusade, whether they are good or bad. Lorgar's fall and Chaos is hinted at, but not shown(beyond Monarchia) until the big reveal later on.

When the betrayal happens, there is a lot of lead-up, and some of the Primarchs' allegiances should take the audience by surprise. If you could avoid outright stating Horus' final decision to rebel until the virus bombs drop, it would be a real shocker since he is the hero of the Great Crusade after all.

yes

The bigger questions are:
What would the very last episode be?
Who would play Olianus Pious?

>some of the Primarchs' allegiances should take the audience by surprise

Like Gwen Stacy's death was a "surprise" in the second Spiderman movie. Anyone who read the comics knew it was going to happen. Only filthy casuals are "shocked" by anything that happens in an adaptation of a movie/comic/whatever when it's already been established for years and years. I hope nobody ever picks up a HH series. I hope they all stay away from Warhammer.

>something, something I'm edgy and clever for hating HBO
>something about GOT and proof
>rick and morty hate thrown in for authentic points

(cont.)

The Drop Site Massacre and the Burning of Prospero would of course be extra shockers early on. Calth happens after those events, so would not be quite as surprising for the audience, only for the smurfs.

When the Imperium falls into civil war, the points of many different perspectives get weighed, though it becomes apparent that Chaos is bad for the soul and Horus has become a monster. The existence of a truly supernatural enemy in what before was an empire that by and large denied such things existing and tried even to rational explain psykers, is a good plot twist in and of itself: Sanguinius fighting the Bloodthirster would be a similar shocker to when they show the dragons or white walkers for the first time in GoT.

The politicking is something to look into, the rivalry between the Emperor's human agents and councilors vs the Primarchs, for instance, that made Horus jealous. And of course Guilliman giving up on the Imperium and not helping defend Terra. It's the Fists who are there, not the Ultramarines.

The final fight with Horus killing Sanguinius and the Emperor but getting his soul obliterated, is of course the perfect tragic ending to the series. Whether to continue after such a climax or not would be a serious question for the producers to consider: watching Kharn go apeshit on his own legion, Abaddon destroy the body of Horus and Guilliman save Dorn from the Iron Cage, are important events however.

I know the betrayals are a given to anyone familiar with the 40k universe, but it should be still written as a surprise since it's a good way to tell a story. Though there's benefits to not making it one as well, given that "Horus betrays the Emperor" is common knowledge even among normies who know nothing else about 40k.

>rick and morty hate thrown in for authentic points
I'm sorry you didn't get your sauce, user.

Depends. I'm not opposed to the concept of a HH tv show on HBO or Netflix or something, but how good it is would come down to who the showrunners/actors/writers are.

Brad Dourif with a tan.

>yfw it's Benioff and Weiss
>yfw space marines using contractions in speech and modern day slang
>yfw they make out Lion and Dorn to be evil incarnate for being straight white men with iron resolve
>yfw they spend half of a season showing Curze torture Vulkan(but then apologize because having a white man torture a black man is racist)
>yfw they add random scenes of Russ in a whorehouse just as an excuse to show tits
>yfw they have a forbidden Custodes/Sister of Silence romance(with full front spess nudity and blank tits)
>yfw they have a gay sex scene between Fulgrim and the Lion
>yfw they make the missing two Primarchs women of color

warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Lho-Leaf_Tube

Laugh, because no one but /k/-style idiots would latch onto it outside of the core fanbase and it would get cancelled after a single season because no one watching HBO gives a shit about spess marins shooting up the place like its a Bayformers movie.

>The Lion
>Straight

Normie-ing up the plotline would probably help it at this point.

>>yfw they have a forbidden Custodes/Sister of Silence romance
This is already canon.

an egyptian

ALEYA A CUTE

CUTE

>fedora atheism, daddy issues and senseless backstabbing: the show
>being made by HBO

It's existence would give me cancer even if I never watched it.

Half the Primarchs would be genderswapped so the show wouldn't have an all male cast.