A sword blade made of lava

>A sword blade made of lava

How inconvenient would this be exactly?

Other urls found in this thread:

anekashu.deviantart.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Depends on sheath

No sheath

Assuming the lava magically never cools down into rock and stays lava, it's pretty damn inconvenient.
You will need to magic up a sheathe for it unless you want someone do carry it around permanently.

Not sure how good the sword would be at parrying, or how it would get parried, what with the lava being liquid.

The blade will probably also need to be magiacally sharp or else it will just spalsh over anything with armor and deal thermal damage instead.

If it was molten it couldn't hold the shape of a blade.
You couldn't hold it on a reasonable hilt because your flesh would combust.

Liquids tend to not hold edge that well. Or shape, for that matter.

Wouldn't it be just an obsidian sword after it cools?

is the lava contained within a sword shape via magic?
if so, can things pass though this magic field?
does it drip lava?
how does it stop itself from cooling?
is the source of lava finite?
is it really a sword, or just a stick of lava?
does it radiate heat?

>dependsonsomanyfactorsthatyourquedtionbecomesameaninglessargumentstarterwithnorealconclusion.jpg

>sword is just lava
Within a few minutes, after drooling onto your hand like the idiot you let it, cools off and hardens

>somehow held together and constantly heated due to magic
Assuming the magic itself does not actually have a physical form around the lava and just allows it to stay semi-solid and stay relatively firm in place then it would mostly just be heat damage with maybe a lower level blunt damage to go along with it. Also permanent light radiating from it.

Have fun carrying that shit at arms length at all times and still giving yourself third degree burns because that shit will burn, melt, and/or combust most things you try to store it onto if and when you get tired of this stupid sword and dont want to carry it anymore.

Assuming it's some magic that doesn't behave like REAL lava it's just a longsword that deals fire damage.
Assuming it does behave like real lava but magic keeps it from just splashing on the ground it constantly deals 3d4 fire damage to anything within 5ft of it, including the wielder.

Well in the first place it falls off your hilt because it is a liquid. Then the pile of lava on the floor slowly cools and becomes some manner of igneous stone, which probably won't be cutting anyone.

Isn't that basically a lightsaber?

I cant be the only one seeing the face.

Lightsabers aren't made of molten rock, so no.

Very.

Lava elemental

roll for initiative

>How inconvenient would this be exactly?

Very.

A long long time ago, there was a volcano, living all alone in the middle of the sea.
He sat high above his bay, watching all the couples play, and wishing that he had someone too.

Like having a sword made of water except the water burns you to death. This isn't going to end well

>does it drip lava?
I once presented the ruins of an ancient civilization that collapsed because some jackass who thought he was being clever made a magic lava-sword.
It did not drip lava. It *gushed* with the stuff.

>stab enemy
>sword explodes on contact

Depending on if you have the right protective gear and magic, and if you don't give a shit about the safety of others, a lava sword that holds a blade shape but I'd also constantly pouting out fresh lava could be a really destructive weapon, perfect for a villain.

I'm picturing something like this, but lava. Assuming that the water sword has been made to work, I imagine that the lava sword would be very deadly.

>Hey, a bottled lava sword!
>OH GODS!
>MY HANDS!
>IT'S DRIPPING EVERYWHERE!

Yeah. This is just an overall territerrible idea.

Magically durable obsidian sword is going down on the "unique magical items" table, thanks

Lava isn't obsidian.

I mean if it's some sort of fire demon or fire-breathing dragon or the kid of one of those it might easily have immunity to fire damage.

How the fuck do you even handle it with the sheer amount of uncomfortable heat you retards?

Sounds like it would be a cool weapon for a demon to wield and swing.

Why didn't gannondorf just use a lava sword to destroy the ring?

Good for enchanted marshmallows.

I love this place

Interesting query, though it was asked as a joke. It raises a point.

If you somehow managed to transport lava from Mount Doom, would that work to destroy the ring?

Unless it stays heated up,in place and is magically sharp there's really no point in using it.
It could be a nice elemental weapon to use as a tool and as a torture device, but that's it.

>I imagine that the lava sword would be very deadly

Especially to the user.

You would burn your hand just holding it by the hilt. In fact, you would very quickly burn every part of your body holding it that close. People tend to underestimate how hot lava is.

HOWEVER, if the sword makes you immune it its heat, and it magically keeps its liquid blade in place with a keen enough edge to actually work as as sword, it would be an amazing weapon. Anyone hit by that shit WILL die. Your enemy's shields will combust at its touch, plate armour will melt (and, frankly, the guy inside will be seared horribly on impact). Anyone wearing anything lighter will find themselves on fire when the blade touches them. Anyone who remains near the naked blade too long will be badly scorched.

The problem is that there's almost no way of storing it.

No, the point was that Mount Doom was the only place that was continuously hot enough to destroy the ring. Removing lava from that spot would just have the lava turn to stone after a while.

there is no proof the ring got destroyed, we just know its hard to get from lava since its lava

I like the idea that with enough sustaining magic, it still plays. Something like a containment spell attached to an ever full flask of lava. The end result being a sword shaped spray of lava that only effect something that touches it directly. Something like an environmental shield that can be traversed by biological. Even so, that is more like a baton of thermite that flakes off and ignites on every strike, more than a cutting implement. Fun idea, though.

pumice, most likely.

give your opponent a vigorous exfoliation.

Well you wouldn't ever do it for all those reasons and the fact that if you light a sword on fire it's practically much better.

For that matter, how about a sword made of ice, and enchanted to not melt?

On the one hand, you'll one-shot everything because you'll basically melt anyone that comes into contact with it.

On the other, you'll be dead within minutes of serious 3rd degree burns just by being within about 20 feet of the thing.

>there is no proof the ring got destroyed
Are you medically retarded? Sauron's form and power were dissipated because the Ring was destroyed and his essence was tied to it. The fall of Barad-Dur and the Eye of Sauron was proof positive of this.

If it didn't break the moment you tried to swing it, it would shatter on the first thing you hit.

You could always go full Lich King and just superglue the thing to your hand.

>People tend to underestimate how hot lava is.

How is hot lava, then?

Regular lava? That would just be a lava-bucket and would grow cool eventually.

Hardened lava? That's just shitty stone.

Magical lava that can hold a sword shape? Well... it would be a weak lightsaber basically, a very hot beam. possibly effective against heavy armor because it would heat it up? I think I'd rather have a regular sword in most cases though.

Ok, I laughed.

Lava is a liquid, so it would just flow away from the hilt (assuming the hilt is magically lava-proof then harden into stone.

Rolled 7, 5, 2, 7, 11 = 32 (5d20)

God damn it, again? This pirate treasure better be worth it.

jesus m8 he said roll for initiative, not damage

also double jesus that's just terrible, highest is 11? better be ready for a hot dicking

>weak
>sets things on fire just by being near it
>melts and passes through most armour
>impossible to deal with in the bind

>He doesn't open the encounter with a surprise attack, thus requiring the initiate to be rolled in the first place

how are you going to surprise the lava though?

By attacking it when it's least expecting it. When it's magma!

damn

can't argue with that logic

Fairly inconvenient.

I once made a sword out of an enchanted Ooze though, a Black Pudding.
It was named the Pudding Sword.

>lava sword
"I swing to hit him with my sword."
>Roll 1d20 to hit; roll 5d20; roll 10d20
"Why so many dice?!"
>1d20 for your target.
>5d20 for you and your party.
>10d20 for everyone/thing else. 15 dice for nearby tiles/objects.

>Oh, and those 15 extra dice... lava flows.

At least seven.

Fuck you, it's 9. I'm a trained wizard that actually got close enough to dagger the stuff off of Hell's Saddle when it burned down the local village.

I love you.

>Suddenly, human thief who wants a share of loot

How is it you post this stupid shit without at least a quick google query? Lava is 800-1200deg celcius, which is absolutely not like you will be burned instantly and melting platemail and stuff...jesus.

>people overestimate how hot lava is

Why not just a heat proof magic lava producing bottle? You dont need the sword shape, just open the cap and splash molten lava at enemies, like how jilted lovers splaash acid on each other

Rather, it is sublimely hot, but people tend to overestimate how quickly or severely heat transfers over typical air convection.
You can get pretty close. Probably can't get above, since the superheated air will be going straight up as it is much hotter than all the surrounding air.

I've never seen it as a problem.

That's not a lava blade. That's just hot blade. There's a difference.

No, in her case, that would literally be Lava she's in the process of cooling into a stone blade. Nahiri took a surprisingly long time to show up in this thread.

If you took the Lava Sword into a Dungeon would it turn into a Magma Sword?

In her case, she is also not real which allows for stupid shit like holding a cherry hot piece of metal that close to your hand without so much as a grimace. Even moreso that it's apparently cooling magma.

Making a sword out of lava would be a waste of time. Obviously she just heated the stone *around* the blade shape, then pulled out a complete sword with some lava still sticking to it..

She's a stoneforge mystic, you idiot. In the lore it makes sense.

She can choose to use solid stone or molten. She does both.

If you make a sword out of lava, you have to maintain its shape until it cools.
If you make a sword out of stone, you're done.

Nahiri is all about effect, not flashy bullshit.

She can spray you with lava as easily as make a blade. And frankly, she tends to be using hot blades since she makes her blades on the go.

She tends to be using Eldritch Horrors, fuck off with lava.

What's the sauce for this?
If I steal this idea for a video game or campaign, how sued am I?

As stated it would cause fire/heat damage to every thing around it every turn because of how hot it is and it would be rather heavy. I'm not sure even with magic if you could get it to hold a shape and edge well enough to really cut but to be frank you likely wouldn't need it as most systems have contact damage for lava/magma listed which it would do every time you hit with it. For 3.x systems you likely would be targeting touch AC. So it'd be unwieldy and would kill you with out precautions but would also kill most things you went after.

>She is also not real
Yeah well neither is fucking magic ok

anekashu.deviantart.com

Decanter/Phial of Endless Lava. Uncork that shit, point it at some poor schmuck and let him have it.

>In the lore it makes sense.
Did the OP say the player was also such a being? No? Then why was she even brought up in the first place?

>magic
>not real

You take that back faggot.

If you take the Magma Sword directly into the sea, will it become a Smegma sword?

>People tend to underestimate how hot lava is.
the real question is how much lava is there? a whole, or just some?

>A sword blade made of lava

One would assume a sword's amount. You dunce.

yeah, but what kind of sword? a needle-point rapier, a gladius, a two-handed one or an oversized anime one?
I could see a rapier working out quite nicely, penetration would be terrific (ever seen a nail pierce skin compared to a hot nail piercing skin?) while the heat damage to the wielder kept to a minimum

damn me, I can't seem to find the video I had in mind.
found a nice recipe for "slow roasted crispy pork belly" instead. god bless the chinese.

Nahiri didn't use Eldrazi (directly) at all. Sure, she called Emrakul to Innistrad, but she didn't command or summon any Eldrazi in combat.

Ice isn't water

> a sword that's 800 °C-1200 °C at all times.

That might be somewhat inconvenient to carry anywhere within the vincinity of your person.