Help me brainstorm a setting, Veeky Forums. Taking inspiration mostly from 9, to start with

Help me brainstorm a setting, Veeky Forums. Taking inspiration mostly from 9, to start with.

Some time in the distant past - more than a hundred years, less than a thousand - humanity went extinct.

The cause is unknown, though there are scattered rumors of a great war, of strange science and deadly magic turning on their creators and wiping them out.

Their cities crumbled, taken over by nature - but much of it twisted, mutated by exposure to unearthly forces, or enhanced by experiments, bioweaponry gone feral.

But not all that humanity left behind was vicious or broken. Creeping in the ruined cities, ekeing out lives and new tribes, the ragmen - tiny homunculi of sackcloth and wire - learned to create children, assembled and given the spark of life via cobbled-together alchemy.

Now, you are a young scavenger - new to life, sent out into the wilds to find supplies, to scout out encroaching threats, to make something of yourself.

How wyrd is it?

Not sure what system would work best, but I think it needs an emphasis on customizability of character - building weapons and gear from scavenged materials, repairing and even replacing parts of yourself.

But alchemical monsters roam, too, always hunting for new sources of energy and components.

Not sure I understand. Like Wyrd Games?

I like the idea of tiny heroes in a huge world. A mission could be "sneak across the street to the rubble of that department store and find enough wire to replace the burnt-out section of our electric fence, before the colony of feral cats realize they can get through".

The Tinmen-parallels to the Ragmen- consider themselves the true heirs of Humanity; made of metal and wire, these automatons adhere to the humans as gods, following rigid laws and dogmas set out before them by their long dead masters.

In comparison to the bold and innovative Ragmen, the Tinmen are fewer in number, and prefer the protection of their FortTowns. However, unlike the clans of the Ragmen, Tinmen are a much more cohesive, and have more centralized populaces. Due to their sturdier constructions and focus on duty to those who came before, they are more suited to long term campaigns and settlement.

To further differentiate, they also share common designs amongst themselves. Most start off as spindely little constructs, that change their forms to better suit their needs and wants. Some add more plate to their bodies, becoming walking bulwarks. Others apply themselves to the arts, and focus their forms on that which humanity considered beautiful.

If we are going to be following 9 closely, then it would not just be humans that are extinct, but all organisms as well (including bacteria).
The movie ended with alchemical abiogenesis reseeding the Earth with life.
I think this is a good place for this setting to start working from, with homunculi forming pockets of civilization and tending the growing forms of life that might be springing up.
I had an idea a long time ago that involved the evil AI surviving destruction by radioing their mind out to a backup at the last minute.
But the mind was split between 5 or 6 backups and fractured their mind into multiple entities with different personalities, not all of which are hostile to homunculi.

Oh, I LIKE that. A different philosophy leads to different bodies, or vice versa?

I didn't want to stick too close to 9 - for one, I definitely want the ragmen to be able to make more of themselves. Nine sentient beings in the world works great for a movie, not too well for a tabletop.

Do you think the setting works better with animal threats, or nah? I suppose thete could just be feral robots and alchemical constructs roaming an otherwise dead or just-revived world.

Holy shit, someone actually remembers 9? I don't think I've seen it mentioned since it was in theaters.

Remember and love it! It's one of those things I forget about, then am reminded of years later and rejoice in the remembering.

Children of the Sky - half a tribe and half a religion, these ragmen seek enlightenment through elevation, claiming the tottering spires of the few intact skyscrapers, building up higher and higher with what scraps they find.

Their gliders carry them on long expeditions across the wastes, and they are among the most widely-spread tribes - though being blown off course is an all but guaranteed death sentence.

Low Life: Rise of the Lowly

Engine heart is the game system for you I think, with maybe a little refluffing. More info at 1d4chan

I have a copy of that somewhere! It might work...

You can get an updated copy on the website

viralgamespublishing.com

i kinda like this idea, maybe have the ragmen embody different aspects of humans? maybe have different factions of ragmen based on ideologies and such?
just spit-balling here

Stop that

Say, one tribe has taken over a church and cobbled together a religion based on reading from the remaining scraps of Bibles. They are friendly, as long as other Ragmen follow their rules...

But they have a rivalry with a neighboring tribe that specializes in taming or even creating alchemical constructs - the churchfolk see this as a crime against nature, only the Humans were able to make new life, and see where it got them when their reach exceeded their grasp!

Nice.

>I am 100% invested in this
I don't think you should ever answer what happened to the humans
I like the idea of fractured chunks of a AI got split into parts and then replicated forming factions/tribes
I love the idea that I have carte blanche to fill the world with whatever mechanical monstrosity I care to dream up.

I think you need mechanics for character customization/building
IE: saving up x amount of scrap metal and rolling a x to build your guy extra arms.

I agree - if someone wants to run this and make their own answer, cool, but no one "canon" reason.

Looking at Engine Hearts, and it seems pretty well fit, maybe with a few tweaks.

Size 1 is "a cube of about 15 cm/6 in" - so I'd think every character would need to be either size 1 or 2.

Not sure how well the system distinguishes between integrated parts and constructed devices, still rereading the book.

'tiny people in human world' is one of my absolute favorite ideas
>A Venice-like town in the sewers, with some ragmen (who've modded their bodies with rubber gloves and the like) deep-diving for things that get washed down with the rain. Rain itself could be a problem, soaking into the rags and rusting joints
>The library could either be a well established settlement, defended for its knowledge, or almost a crypt, too dangerous to enter because something silently stalks its halls (maybe a primitive/precursor ragman robot who still enforces the 'quiet' rule)
>The above-ground parts of the subway are still used, although ragmen only need one of the rails at a time, maybe having to pick up the cart and switch because the line is damaged. A train stuck on the line serves as a pitstop in the multiple day trip across the city.
>A grand estate outside of town is thought of as a utopia, with ragmen braving a multiple mile(!) pilgrimage through the unforgiving wilds
>A hardware store is a trading powerhouse, doubling as a hospital

I think animal threats is a good idea. Either regular animals or mutated, they make for good obstacles. Having to hide from the wildlife encroaching on the city can reinforce the size of the PCs. A single rat is an enemy, a single cat is a problem, and a wild dog or wolf PACK? not to mention crows and magpies picking at the ragmen, looking for something shiny

On the other hand, no life at all can make it more like an ancient aliens thing, with the city being the ruins of an age long past. And you won't have things like plants crumbling bridges and termites toppling houses. Life absolutely wrecks infrastructure.

Since magic is a obvious thing, would the possibility of technological golems or constructs human sized or so be left over?

Maybe a construct with a large soul inside of it, not fragments, be almost the size of a human could be around.

For a ragman, that would be some kind of massive abomination, almost like a kaiju.

Something to hide from, as it would be just about impossible to fight if it's hostile.

There are official Engine Heart stats for at least some of the Nine.

Almost as wyrd as hylics