Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

How does your character plan to get her revenge? Who is the target of her wrath?

/pfg/ Link Repository: pastebin.com/fr9piFCi
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit#heading=h.hi5nm41augvu
app.roll20.net/forum/post/5631747/accepted-apps-round-1/
giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472513-Dreamscarred-Press-Psionics-Augmented-Occult&p=20582738#post20582738
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E2-s8weiulPoBQjdI05LBzOUToyoZIdSsLKxHAvf8F8/edit#gid=3
youtube.com/watch?v=Ylyqoxh-cXk
youtube.com/watch?v=Vgxs785sqjw
d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/amulet-of-the-planes/
d20pfsrd.com/feats/story-feats/planar-traveler-story/
youtu.be/vGjwXI0n5-I
youtu.be/56reWK8S7RY
youtube.com/watch?v=p0pM5dm--yQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How mopey of a backstory is too mopey? Obviously going "My parents are DEAAAAAAD" is bad.

Mopey is more of a matter of mix than absolute mope levels. If you mix the light and the dark, even a backstory that has great tragedy can skirt the issue of being too edgy.

Depends entirely on the tone of the game, for my money I quite like sadsack backstories. Nothing motivates someone to adventure and the pursuit of riches like being destitute growing up.

That's a good point, making it all sorta mopey is probably worse than having a major mope once or twice but then the character rising up past it.

Being poor is a good reason to try something as dangerous as adventure for gold and glory.

So what if I rape my parents and then am raped by their ghosts?

That's justice.

She already did. Hunted down each and every one of those that betrayed the Oathsung mercenaries, causing the death of the only family she ever knew. That was some time ago, though.

That's not the justice I was used to.

But it's the justice you deserved.

Is it too edgy to want to play a right and proper conqueror? All I want is for the land and people of my neighbors to belong to my country.

That's way too edgy.

Not to edgy. /pfg/'s first big bamboozle was based on just that.

MOLTHUNE

KNIGHTS

>It still hurts and I didn't even get in

F

Our entire group has a conqueror/usurper mindset.

He's working his way down his list. The last name that will be struck out: the king.

Rules for dragging someone behind a horse, chariot, or vehicle?

If you capture an enemy with a lasso or net and control the trailing end you can perform a drag or reposition combat maneuver, doesn't matter if you are mounted or not.

But what happens when that trailing end is tied off to something "solid" saddle horn, chariot crossbar, airship belaying pins? Is there still a maneuver going on or is the person just added to the carry weight of whatever is pulling him?
What if there is a team or horses/mammoths pulling the target? Is their STR combined, or is each creature simply using air another on the "primary"?
My take on it is
>DC 15 (?) Acrobatics to stay on their feet as long as they don't move more than their speed in a round, fail or cant keep up and fall prone
>Drag damage while prone 1/2 of fall damage 1d6 per 20ft for dangerous ground or any difficult terrain, 1/4 for soft or slick ground 1d3 per 20ft.
>Another DC(?) acrobatics check to convert the damage to nonleathal
>add +5 to the dc of any ride checks for the puller if the target is the same size as the mount +10 if larger than the mount

How would you describe Berserk's story? Hero's Journey? Rag to Riches? Underdog's Sports Story?

Odyssey. That's the only time I've been stuck on a boat for that goddamn long.

Then why does it hurt, user?

Are... Are you Odysseus?

my character is a burnt orphanage's children's soul agregate.

it hunt child murderers, child molesters and pyromaniacs. he kills them of fright, slasher movie style.

Messengers of the God of Death is two Tax Collectors with long tongues that are pretty nice guys. Death awarded their position for their loyalty when they died protecting each other during a routine inspection.

It's a Last Samurai story. Last of his house/tribe/clan on a mission of revenge with all the world turned against him.

Japanese and Chinese story structures don't match the Western ones well.

well thanks to whoever puled my post from the other pfg thread
Revenge is just the cost of doing business. Madam and Inquisitor of Calistria in Wrath or the Righteous. Some buck with dreams of knighthood snuck off with with one of my girls, and she still has years left on her contract. I made it to the naming ceremony but everything went to shit. If I find him among the survivors the buck must die, the girl will get a few more years added to her contract, wh8ile I'm here with the infernal on the lose I might just see if I can't capture or bargain with a succubus or incubus. Those long lived elves can get a little freaky when they have centuries to try everything thrice and a little infernal action could liven up business.

>well thanks to whoever puled my post from the other pfg thread
No problem, didn't want it to get lost in a dying thread.

Friendly reminder that 5E dnd is the true successor to 3.5 and better than both 3.5 and pathfinder in every conceivable way. There is no room for relativity or subjectivity- 5E is the choice of champions. Threads like these are an embarrassment to the board.

Thanks for your opinions, friend!

I see I'm dealing with a professional. You've passed the security check, no more papers needed. /pol/ sends it's regards.

Psionics Augmented: Powers II has been released, although I am not supposed to upload it just yet due to a request from a specific Dreamscarred freelancer. As usual, most of the powers here are unremarkable, but there are a few standouts.

• Elongate Extremities is a 1st-level power for egoist psions, psychic warriors (which should probably always be pathwalkers), and soulknives (gifted blade). For 1 power point, you can gain +5 reach for 1 minute per manifester level. This is essentially just Long Arm, but for 2 extra power points, you gain +10 reach instead. For 2 extra power points, the duration becomes 10 minutes per manifester level. So, for 5 power points, the equivalent of a 3rd-level spell, you can gain +10 reach for 10 minutes per manifester level. That is certainly not bad.

• Hallucinations is a 1st-level telepath psion power. It is a roundabout way to accomplish illusory trickery, just like the Hallucination line of spells from Paizo. Varying levels of augmentation allow you to add a "script" to the hallucinations and affect different senses. However, the 8-point augment lets you change the duration to "permanent" and lets you script the hallucinations on top of that, so you can make a poor sod go barmy with hallucinations until they receive a dispellation.

• Pummeling Barrage, a 2nd-level psion/wilder and cryptic power, is a ranged touch attack at close range that deals 3d6 nonlethal typeless damage and allows spell resistance. Boring, perhaps, but for every 2 more power points you spend, you make another attack. If you can find some way of stacking damage bonuses onto this, like the Offensive Prescience power or some Martial Training feats into Elemental Flux, you could gun down a living enemy with a volley of nonlethal danmaku.

• Involuntary Body Function, a 1st-level psion/wilder and vitalist power, is middling on its own. For a total cost of 6 power points (without a DC increase unless you have Endowed Mind), you target one living creature per manifester level in close range. They all have to make Fortitude saving throws or be nauseated for 1 minute per manifester level, and if they fail that, they must then make a Reflex save or fall prone. It is not the best of save-or-loses, but it is serviceable enough given Endowed Mind.

• Temporary Blindness, a 1st-level power for cryptics, dreads, and psions/wilders, is a much worse version of the Vancian spell Blindness/Deafness. If you really want to directly blind people as a psionicist, I suppose there is this.

Would anyone else happen to have this product as well?

Which book had the Bearded Vulture Tengu?

You are looking for the Bloodforge: Infusions playtest.

docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit#heading=h.hi5nm41augvu
>+2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma, –2 Strength: Bearded vulture tengus are social and regal creatures with a natural instinct for leadership. However, their bodies are weaker than others of their size. This racial trait replaces the normal tengu’s racial ability modifiers.
>Luck of Kings (Ex): Bearded vulture tengus gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws and a +2 racial bonus to their AC. These bonuses increase by +1 during surprise rounds and while a bearded vulture tengu is flat-footed. This racial trait replaces sneaky, swordtrained and gifted linguist.

A +2 racial bonus to both saving throws and AC is absurd. These make unusually sturdy clerics and shamans.

>racial AC bonus

what is that meant to represent?

Schrödinger's Goddess guy here.
I wrote up a post about the player lineup here - app.roll20.net/forum/post/5631747/accepted-apps-round-1/ - and I'd appreciate if you read that before asking questions.
Most importantly, I still haven't received individual confirmation from the players of the characters, mostly because I finished up my choices right here half an hour ago, so there's still a chance for cancellations.
With that out of the way, however, the party lineup looks like so:

"Doctor" Pietro Caracalla
Frinne Martelje
Claire Meadows
Ani Nailo
Gabriel Hightower

The first session is 16:00 GMT+1 on the 21st (a Saturday). If you can't come or otherwise don't think you'll be playing, the quicker you say it, the better.

I'm still a bit uneasy about my relative lack of experience with the system, but I'll try my best to not make this into another bamboozle. Unsolicited advice from /pfg/ regulars telling me why I'm wrong is welcome.

And that reminded me I had a fucking tripcode in the beginning. I'm sorry.

I don't think there's a single /pfg/ app in your entire application thread.

I still posted the game here, so I wanted to notify people. On top of that, I really have a very hard time imaging there's not a single one, but then again what do I know.

>Jackie C
>Using Amelia as their picture
I'll give them props for that!

Amelia is cute! CUTE!

Will I be cool finally if I kill myself?

After the body heat dissipates? Yeah.

Are you happy, /pfg/? You hit 800+ shitposts on one thread

I need some guidance for my next character. I'm joining a campaign with a cleric and a fighter and I was thinking about using an occultist with the Trap Finder trait to cover up the rest of it. I was thinking about making a failed scholar who now runs a small show in which he shows weird objects and strange relics. I was thinking silksworn, but I'm not too sure.

Any tips?

I was asleep for it. Seemed like a good time.

The out of context discord leaks brought back memories!

Fuck off, Kawase

Does kawase have a game right now?

Divination and Transmutation schools and you are golden. Get that +2 at level to any physical stat and abuse Mind's Eye at level 3, making any other scouting method pointless.

>Tfw you will never make Molthune Great Again
>Tfw you will never use your success in campaigning to jumpstart your track to being the Governor General
>Tfw you will never use your new power and influence to divert Molthuni war effort from Nirmathas and to instead conquer Nidal.
>Tfw you will never do so in the name of a Holy War to route the evil influence of the Kuthonites out of the Inner Sea, thereby getting the support of other crusader companies like the Godclaw or Iomedaen Church
It hurts.

>TFW You will never get to use War as a business to become a world leader in order to end war as a business.

>tfw you just can't get a game at all

>end war as a business.
I have a better plan. Just replace war with an ideal economically viable replacement.

If you want to end a type of market, you don't do so by seizing control of it. You do so by creating new markets and niches that make the older market economically unviable and a waste of money and resources for the involved parties

I just wanted to grow tobacco and bone my cute wife.

War becomes the unilateral force to prevent economic development in competing markets for goods to artificially accumulate resources for a tiny group

>prevent economic development in competing markets
That doesn't sound like Free Market to me, comrade.

GUNDAM FIGHT NOW!

No, but that's modern imperialism for you

Because despite what everyone was pointing out, giving a manifester with actual powers effectively infinite power points is a bad idea.

Did they patch the infinite time stutter shit too?

We first saw Dreamscarred Press's kineticist (gambler) archetype back in December 18, 2015. That is a staggering 663 days or ~1.8 years ago.

I must be terribly behind on the times, for I have given the gambler a serious look only now. I suppose I had been too enamored with the spellburst savant EX turbo and the avowed, Forrest's other works.

I am currently convinced that from 4th level onwards, the kineticist (gambler) is in the same boat as Path of War 1 martials: it is far too strong by combat standards. The gambler is even better than Path of War 1 martials from 4th level onward, because in between battles, a gambler can give an entire party minutes-long combat buffs at effectively zero cost via Shared Power. I have seen only one other person bring up Shared Power for a gambler, and they were ignored: giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472513-Dreamscarred-Press-Psionics-Augmented-Occult&p=20582738#post20582738

Concealing Amorpha, Defensive Precognition, Inertial Armor, Lanis' Animal Affinity, Offensive Precognition, Vigor. All these and more, a gambler can provide outside of battle, given an extremely loud display and perhaps only a minute left by the time everyone is buffed. (Much more than a minute by 8th level, with Ante Up.)

By 10th level, a gambler approaches the realm of tier 2 by using Fold Space (Dimension Door) at no cost out of combat. Ferrying the party through intermittent teleportations this way can heavily distort a narrative.

By 13th level, with Extra Power Known, a gambler firmly lands into tier 2 territory. The gambler can hand out Pierce the Veils (True Seeing) to an entire party at no cost out of combat. They can also take the party anywhere in the multiverse, including the Material Plane, using Planar Travel augmented for pinpoint accuracy, also for no cost out of combat. (They can retrain away Extra Power Known at 14th-level.)

As far as personal combat capacities are concerned, by 4th level, a gambler can obliterate much...

... By using Double or Nothing, Raise the Stakes, and Energy Ray. That threatens a critical hit on a Gambler's Blast which carries an augmented Energy Ray, and the critical applies to both. By 7th-level, Crystalline Needle Blast essentially doubles the Gambler's Blast damage. This *will* devastate enemies with CR above the gambler's level.

Given the rajah playtest, a single feat in Narcissism (The Resolute) lessens the odds of backlash. Did you miss with a Double or Nothing, despite your maximized Dexterity and your Offensive Precognition? No problem; expend your psionic focus and reroll it. This also makes it more viable to start combat with as much burn as you need for Elemental Overflow; you can Cash Out before the battle and then use the resulting power points to fuel your powers.

Purely as an example, given a 7th-level half-dwarf gambler with Dexterity 26 (base 17, racial +2, level advancement +1, Lanis' Animal Affinity enhancement +4, Minor Metamorphosis size +2), Constitution 22 (base 16, racial +2, belt +4), and Overchannel and Psigifted for 9 power points into Energy Ray (which costs *nil* due to smart usage of cash out):

• Attack Bonus: +19 = 5 base attack bonus + 8 Dexterity modifier + 1 size + 1 competence from Pale Green Prism Ioun Stone + 3 insight from Offensive Precognition + 1 elemental overflow
• Composite Blast Damage: 6d6+6+6+2
• Energy Ray (Cold or Fire) Damage: 9d6+9
• Multiplied by two for critical hit from Double or Nothing, still need to confirm
• Total Critical Damage: 30d6+46 (average 151)

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E2-s8weiulPoBQjdI05LBzOUToyoZIdSsLKxHAvf8F8/edit#gid=3
• Average CR 10: AC 23.4, flat-footed AC 20.4, HP 124.5
• Average CR 11: AC 24.4, flat-footed AC 21.5, HP 144.2

Never mind the veritable panoply of costless buffs layered onto themselves *and the rest of the party, for free*.

What am I missing here about the gambler? Have I made any mistakes in my math? I have been behind.

Is this a new copypasta?

probably.

>Concealing Amorpha, Defensive Precognition, Inertial Armor, Lanis' Animal Affinity, Offensive Precognition, Vigor. All these and more

Addendum: Depending on your level, you will probably have to use a 2,000 gp, 1st-level Mind Stone or two.

As far as I am aware, Time Skitter can still be looped outside of combat.

>How does your character plan to get her revenge? Who is the target of her wrath?
I went full Mary Sue with the character I'm going to play. One of the angels turned devil that went with Asmodeus to fight the Blood War (not sure of this conflicts with PF fluff, DM said they were using a lot of Great Wheel stuff) who got betrayed when Bel took over the first layer of Baator. Currently feels hopeless and is part of an army on the material plane. Plans to gain rank and support his (mortal) family as a disguised human. Revenge seems like a difficult thing to imagine for him, but he's content to join a regimented hierarchy and cruise it to the top for now.

Fuck I didn't mean time skitter, I meant Temporal Acceleration. Last I checked a Gambler could loop this power for ever, and essentially stop time indefinitely.

I imagine it's a luck based dodge. Sort of like pic related.

That doesn't really sound like a mary sue. The only issue is that the idea of a full on fallen angel being a PC rubs me the wrong way.

Okay, /pfg/, I know this sounds bad: But what music would you play if your character has to turn on the party?

Mine is youtube.com/watch?v=Ylyqoxh-cXk

Nah, full on fallen angel is pretty fucking Mary Sue.

Probably that song with Senator Armstrong because my character's actually a good girl.

>Planar Travel augmented for pinpoint accuracy, also for no cost out of combat.

Correction: This comes at 15th-level with an Orange Prism Ioun Stone and Overchannel, not 13th-level.

Temporal Acceleration is not on the gambler list. It is a 6th-level power, and so a gambler cannot acquire it via Expanded Knowledge.

Even if a gambler *could* take it with Expanded Knowledge, would it count as a gambler power?

Either way, Shared Power completely and utterly snaps in half the balance of the buffs on the gambler power list.

Even without that, does Forrest seem to realize the implications of a cost-free fully-augmented Planar Travel by 15th-level? That can take a party more or less anywhere, at no cost, all day. Not even 15th-level full spellcasters can manage that short of the most depraved of conjuration (calling) cheese.

if my character would have to turn on the team, or worse, if the team splits because they cannot agree on anything and end up fighting eachother, this would be the music: youtube.com/watch?v=Vgxs785sqjw

No, a Mary Sue is perfect in every way. Assuming he suffered and experienced hardship for his fall, then he's not really a Mary Sue. Unless you consider Lucifer himself one.

Full on Fallen Angel is a special snowflake at worst. Which is different from being a mary sue.

Betraying Heaven, thinking your going lord in hell only to be made some fucking scrub in a mortal army isn't really sueish.

Okay they patched that then, because it was on their list at one point.

Yeah. I mean, I consider him more devil than angel, just like Zariel, Mephistopheles and Asmodeus probably do, but yeah. Very Mary Sue.

Sleep please go.

Devil is the same thing as a fallen angel. I guess we just have radically different definitions of Mary Sue.

One thing I love about pathfinder is the sheer variety of races. One problem that arises from that is the sheer number of things that can interbreed and the question of their offspring. What happens if a Tiefling and a Dhampir have a child for example?

>Even without that, does Forrest seem to realize the implications of a cost-free fully-augmented Planar Travel by 15th-level? That can take a party more or less anywhere, at no cost, all day. Not even 15th-level full spellcasters can manage that short of the most depraved of conjuration (calling) cheese.

Looking into the matter further, I see that a 15th-level character can get close with an Amulet of the Planes and the Planar Traveler story feat:

d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/amulet-of-the-planes/

d20pfsrd.com/feats/story-feats/planar-traveler-story/

This takes decidedly more investment, however.

A normal whatever the Tiefling/Dhampir would be if they weren't infected with demon taint/vampire taint.Probably would develop into a cross blooded sorcerer.

Right. I guess I should've used Special Snowflake. Better than Mary Sue for the description.

Roll a d4, user. 1 makes it a tiefling, 2 makes it a dhampir, 3 or 4 makes it a human (with a penchant toward sorcery of one type or another as suggests).

Please refer to ye olde breeding chart (tm)

I thought it would be hard to decide, but then I realized the choice was obvious.
youtu.be/vGjwXI0n5-I

Was a bit hard, but I've been binging on grunge for a while so that's okay. youtu.be/56reWK8S7RY

>Using music ever
Fucking plebians

1. Humans and halflings can't breed? Awesome. Guess I don't need to wear a condom
2. What the fuck does a half human half centaur look like?
3. Dragons are sluts

>1. Humans and halflings can't breed? Awesome. Guess I don't need to wear a condom

I'm the neutral hired merc.
>m.youtube.com/watch?v=dEbE3fGfF-o

Meant for

That's actually pretty close to how the character looks. God I hope her player actually does read in case [spoler]I want to hit that OOC too[/spoiler]

It's considerably clunkier to use than you're implying, mostly.

You're applying three minutes/level buffs which cost significant power point expenditures, rebuilding your Burn (which is a non-trivial expenditure of time, since Gamblers don't have access to wild talents and only gain burn by either throwing a Composite blast or using Wagers), and then either timing Cash Out very precisely or spending your first turn doing that instead of using any Wagers.

Power point expenditure is a significant limit on Gamblers in actual play, and even in situations where parties can reasonably pre-buff it's exceptionally loud and noticeable to do so if they want to use their free PP from Cash Out. If not, they get to use their extremely limited pool of power points/day; with your level and stats that's 32, which isn't that much when you're trying to draw from the same pool for buffing and combat use, and Cashing Out spends time you could be using to be throwing wagers instead.

It also gets tagged twice by energy resistance and once by DR, since the composite blast is half-elemental, half-physical and the energy ray is purely elemental.

youtube.com/watch?v=p0pM5dm--yQ

Putting my players up against a level 5 Half-fiend Hobgoblin Magus. So he gets the total following adjustments:
>+2 Dex
>+2 Con
>+4, +4, +4, +2, +2, and +2 distributed how I like.
>+4, +4, +2, +2, +0, and –2 distributed how I like.
>+1 distributed how I like.

So I started with the Elite NPC array:
15/14/13/12/10/8

Str: 24
Dex: 21
Con: 24
Int: 16
Wis: 12
Cha: 8

This seems pretty high, especially before any magic items are brought into play. He is going to have NPC wealth and be CR 6 (character level -1, +2 to half fiend). Plus he is going to half a lot of extra stuff for being a half fiend and a more than decent fly speed. He's supposed to be a Barghest's champion and comes as a paired boss fight. It'll be him and his Greater Barghest progenitor.

The party is level 5 and this is a CR 8 encounter, so it's supposed to be 'epic'. However there are 6 party members so it's down to just 'hard' I believe. Do you think it's too much for the party to handle?

Also the general strategy is the following:
>Barghest casts Mass Bull's Strength before the fight
>Barghest casts Mass Enlarge as the fight starts
>Magus Hobgoblin is now at 30 Str and large sized
>is hitting for around 9d6(large shocking greatsword w/ shocking grasp)+22

>+4, +4, +2, +2, +0, and –2 distributed how I like.
Where does he get that if he already has elite array?

Oh I'm an idiot, you're right, he doesn't get this. I entirely forgot this is just part of the elite array. This brings him down to:

Str: 26
Dex: 17
Con: 20
Int: 16
Wis: 12
Cha: 10

After the full buff cycle. Ok that seems a little more reasonable.

How do you cope with realizing that even though you're having fun and like your games a lot, if you want to get off the ground and go anywhere in life you should probably quit all of them and go full normie for a while?