>Comprehensive Rules
>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

What cards would you unban, Veeky Forums?

What cards would you ban?

What cards does modern need? OC or legacy reprint.

I would unban:
BBE
Birthing Pod
DRS
Dig Through Time
Eye of Ugin
Green Sun's Zenith
JTMS
Mental Misstep
Preordain (NOT ponder though)
Skullclamp
SFM
Treasure Cruise
Artifact Lands

I would ban:
Back to Nature
Blood Moon
Inkmoth Nexus
Monastery Swiftspear

Modern needs:
Karmic Justice

just don't reply to him

>I would ban:
>Back to Nature
>Blood Moon
>Inkmoth Nexus
>Monastery Swiftspear
Fucking why any of those

I always waffle between thunderous wraths and reforge the soul.

Unbans:

>BBE
Reasonable.
>Birthing Pod
I'm fine with this unbanned but I can understand the logic of it remaining there.
>DRS
I'm a 50/50 split on this. I don't mind dealing with this but at the same time dropping a turn 2 LotV/Last Hope is still going to be a backbreaking play in the BGx decks.
>DTT
Not sure, I think it could be unbanned since it was only hit alongside the Treasure Cruise ban
>Eye of Ugin
Fuck no, we don't need Eldrazi winter again. That deck is still going strong even with the Eye of Ugin ban.
>GSZ
This will come off the banlist if Dryad Arbor enters the banlist. GSZ for 0 getting Dryad Arbor was like 60-70% of the reason for the card being banned. The other remaining percentage was WotC worried about toolbox decks shutting down too many different decks.
>JTMS
No. There were sample games tested with this and JTMS improved matchups of certain decks tremendously. Combined with new planeswalker rule it's just dumb.
>Mental Misstep
Nah. The mental misstep wars get real dumb real fast.
>Preordain
Maybe but we'll see how Opt holds up first.
>Skullclamp
Honestly i'm not sure. The only decks I can see wanting this are tokens and Elves. However at the same time the Thopter/Sword combo is live in the format and could be super busted.
>SFM
I'm all for it, I think the format can easily deal with both the search, equipment and SFM herself.
>Treasure Cruise
Fuck no, we're not having every deck splash blue for Treasure Cruise again.
>Artifact Lands
Fuck no, Affinity would be broke out the fucking ass.

Bans:
>Back to Nature
For what fucking purpose?
>Blood Moon
No. Learn to fetch for basics or play a deck that doesn't care.
>Inkmoth Nexus
Irrelevant card these days especially with Fatal Push in the format
>Monastery Swiftspear
For what fucking purpose?

Modern needs:
>Karmic Justice
Never going to happen based on the fact that Karmic Justice can blow up lands.

>Nah. The mental misstep wars get real dumb real fast.
>Nah. The mental misstep wars get real dumb real fast.

Fraud detected. MM was never legal in modern.

Yeah I know it's not legal in Modern you moron but i've playtested games with it within the confines of Modern. It gets real dumb fast. It was real dumb in Vintage too when Mentor decks would cast a G probe and mistep the probe and mistep their misteps for a bajillion dudes.

Modern is not the only format in existence, dumb trip poster.

Well this modern general is a dumpster fire already. Do not respond to tripfags

Oh man Mistep would be cancer.
>try to play turn cantrip, mana dork, looting or handhate, only to fuel a turn 2 death's shadow
>try and path/push said shadow with snap+mistep
It would literally be GDS mistep wars: the format

If I splash black in Soul Sisters for lingering souls do I have to run an entire fetch and shock land base? Really don't want to buy in to fetches just to splash.

Yeah, I feel like there is plenty of missed opportunity in treating the tiles like special battlefield zones, or special lands, or something like localised enchantments. A whole host of other things they could have done instead of random spell effects for 3 different costs. Maybe even alternate wincons, or negating some death cons.

I would unban Ponder.

Did the thread for explorers of ixalan die?

First reply is a tripfag, people are giving it (you)s, cross-thread posters and poorfags. This general went to shit real quick

There's not even 20 posts, give it time. Soon we'll be discussing how tron is broken and how death's shadow should be banned

Fuck apparently.

It's interesting for sure, I'm glad they're taking a different approach compared to archenemy and planechase.

I wonder which modern decks you can slot in to play, I used to play planechase with modern decks. It was a blast

Modern has been total shit and will continue to be unplayable dogshit until Wizards admits they fucked up and unban Twin

discuss

Reminder to ignore Twinposters.

Fuck you, I miss twin

t. Tron and burn player

You're next

Lol, what are they going to do? Ban lightning bolt? Lands are untouchable, fuckboi.

>Lands are untouchable
>8 lands on the ban list already

Flashing in to remind you Nigger of Cloudpost.

I meant those specific lands. The ones that go back to the 90's.

Yes it would. It would push Death Shadow into ridiculous territory. It would become a form of control deck without actually even being control.

Speaking of control, this is one of my favorite counter spells. I'm kinda dissapointes it doesn't get more love. But, then again;
>Control
>In modern
It also has to fight for slots against fatal push, which basically serves the same purpose, can be used retroactively, and costs one mana less in more popular color.

At the very least I can't help having it sitting in sideboard as a 2 of. Since I only sideboard for aggro decks, I guess I can have both in there.

Just run essence scatter if you want to be a retard

Kek'd

>Heh, I'm going to bring this in against Death's Shadow so they can't Kommand it back ;^)
>W-w-wait y-you're not meant to be c-casting Gurmag Angler
>Stop please I c-c-can't c-counter that

Both remand and mana leak are strictly better. Shit, cancel is strictly better

>strictly
You keep using that word. I do not think you know what it means.

I'd like to see a board or tile addition that makes use of lands as battlefields for different creatures, each with different effects and such, and can be randomized so that any casual can play a different deck that could possibly "work" instead of having a static map that can be figured out.

Make use of landwalk abilities, and banding, or first strike, or flanking or any number of abilities and effects.

Make lands take excess damage and get destroyed ; turn it into a real tangible battlefield.

Remand hits everything and replaces itself. it's basically timewalk

Mana leak hits everything and is a powerful tax

Cancel hits everything

Misstep hits everything

See the pattern?

yeah, the pattern is pretty clear: tg sucks at magic

>Playing?
BR Vampires
>Hating?
Walking Ballista, but pithing needle should suffice
>Thoughts on the meta?
I live in a blood moon microcosm where half the store runs it, so I don't really know what the meta is
>And of course: Meme tech?
Asylum Visitor is actually pretty astoundingly good in a control shell

Honestly with the anthology sets, this seems like a next logical step. It will more than likely have 4 balanced intro level decks designed for the game, like Nicol Bolas.

I miss Pod. He dindu nuffin and the ban was a byproduct of creature power creep

Can i talk about casual decks and stuff here?

There's nothing to talk about with casual decks because it's geared towards a specific power level you shouldn't exceed. The only discussion that is helpful is when there is no such thing as "too good"

Go for it.
The """"competitive"""" fags can't pull their normal bullshit since the title doesn't say it.

What I don't understand is why you're restricting your deckbuilding to Modern when you only want to play casually. Like, what do you care if your cards are older? The only reason Modern exists is as a competitive framework. If you wanna do whatever, do whatever.

Amulet Titan vs UW Control is the most jerk-off matchup in the format.

Yo, when on the stack (before Carnage Tyrant enters the field), can you use a Vraska's Contempt or anything that stops creature spells before it hits the field? Does it have hexproof in hand or only when it's on the field?

Also Blossoming Defense. If I use Vraska's Contempt on a creature that has Blossoming Defense, do I gain the 2 life?

Vraska's contempt can only affect creatures on the field, so not a carnage tyrant (or anything else) on the stack.

If the creature already had blossoming defense cast and resolved targeting it, then you cant target that creature with VC. If you cast VC on it, then they respond with blossoming defense, then VC will end up with an illegal target and be "countered" by the rules of the game.

Countered by the rules of the game meaning it never resolves and you don't gain life

>Vraska's contempt can only affect creatures on the field, so not a carnage tyrant (or anything else) on the stack.
For this one, would a two-drop stop creature spell work like censor or essence scatter?

You wouldn't be able to use Vraska's Contempt as it's on the stack because it's not a creature yet, it's just a spell. However, you wouldn't be able to hit it with a counterspell either because of the uncounterable part. The only way to deal with it is a boardwipe or beating it in combat.

Yes

Are there any other people that play casual kitchen table MTG with friends and family? Im sure it's partly due to age, but I've been collecting and playing since either Arabian Nights or Antiquities, and it was fun. I learned about net decks and the competitive scene around Ravnica, and started playing at stores and realising the horror of the kind of autism riddled neckbeards the game attracts.

Haven't been able to get back into the game since. Would it be fun / worth it to get back into it?

>mfw when people are saying Vraska's Contempt is good removal
>At 4 fucking mana, the same as what a board wipe cost a few years ago

Carnage tyrant can't be countered so censor or essence scatter wouldn't work. But if it could be countered then it would work.

Depends on you. The game still attracts autism riddled neckbeards.

Board wipes don't hit Planeswalkers and don't deal with indestructible / recurring threats.

Vraska's Contempt is good because it deals with essentially everything that isn't hexproof.

You realise that hitting a walker with a removal spell means you're being 2 for 1'd, right? Imagine responding to LotV's -2 with Vraska's Contempt. You've lost a creature and a spell, they've only lost their Lilly. They're like creatures with ETBs, you can't just point removal at them to win.

Sure, but you can't just let Chandra tick up to ultimate. You have to have an answer.

The decks running Vraska's Contempt aren't running many creatures btw. They have Torrential Gearhulk, Scarab God, and that's about it.

Why are we talking about Standard in here anyway?

Yeah but when I'm playing standard and my opponent drops LotV we've got bigger problems than getting 2 for 1'd.

Fine, Torch of Defiance hitting your creature with a -3. The idea is the same; they're always getting value from their pseudo ETB.

I feel like picking up a jank-ass, cheap-as-fuck modern deck to play every now and then at my LGS. Possibility Storm is what I'm looking at.
Thing is, everyone at the LGS plays some variant of tron, affinity, storm, or titan shift. Should I even bother with cheap jank or am I just going to lose every game?

I definitely never said it was good removal, but as far as standard goes, we're lucky to get any form of removal whatsoever because little Timmy gets upset when you kill his big dudes

Why don't you have anything else to kill their 1 loyalty chandra with? Are you an aggressive deck that just doesn't feel like playing creatures today? Are you a control deck throwing counterspells at creatures when you have a vraska's contempt in hand?
The spell's strength is versatility, that doesn't mean you use it on everything, it means you save your niche spells for their purpose and use vraska's contempt for everything you don't have a good answer for. If you match your answers to their threat's badly that doesn't mean your answers are bad, it means you're a retard. You fucks are babied by thoughtsieze, go play with a catch all answer that actually has a downside like FoW.

And the spell's weakness is 4 mana. Pre-Gatewatch the spell would've been a bulk rare laughing stock.

wtf? don't bully, i liked utter end.

Yeah, and 90% of the spells played in modern are a laughing stock in vintage. That doesn't mean anything though, it's just you have a wank over relative format strengths.

This thread is a shitshow. First a tripfag, then people responding to the tripfag, then a little Tron / Twin flareup, and now Standard.

The format would be better without tron

it's nto ev en jsut about relative strength, exiling in standard is incredibly relevant right now and gaining life is too. Standard has much stronger cards, but none that does it work as well in the current meta. It's like bolt not being played anymore, stop being an autist and recognise the relevance of the meta.

You aren't helping.

Modern would be better without standard

I don't even know what I'm looking at here.

The realisation that standard is the reason modern can't have good cards; they have to pass through that shitfest of a format first.

Standard (and Draft) are also what keeps Wizards in business so they can keep making cards at all.

>Standard (and Draft) are also what keeps Wizards in business
Not the supplementary products that require little to no R&D and have double the RRP but sell like watermelon in the Congo?

>require little to no R&D
user pls, balancing MM draft format was a very costly job.

Well its more like Veeky Forums seems to only do standard or modern threads for MTG. Modern is a lot closer to casual than standard in that regards.

Also since i tend to do budget decks, it generally wont include cards older than modern.

Correct, because they have to limit the supply of those supplementary products so they don't crash card values.

New sets they print to demand. It's their bread and butter and it's no coincidence that Pro Tours highlight Draft and Standard.

Off the top of my head
>Angler, fatal push, swiftspear, tks, last hope, walking ballista, collective brutality
>Treasure cruise, despite insta banning in every other format, only saw play as a 2-of in a single standard deck

i think also goyf shadow LotV path mistep and twin passed through standard.

Theros was a big shift for standard powerlevels, comparing the formats with RG monsters, faeries, cawblade and blinktusk to our modern day GPG, energy and approach is an apples and oranges comparison

>misstep hits everything

O_O wait do all of the people who think misstep is broken think this??? That explains the stupidity

Play Owling Mine, in my experience it works wonders

If you aren't playing a quad-sleeved foiled out Taking Turns deck, I don't want to see your Howling Mine.

Why did wizards drop the powerlevel so much? I would actually play standard if it had interesting cards

If you don't drop the powerlevel periodically you end up with power creep. This kills the game.

Can we expect better cards in coming sets?

But then you end up in a situation where everyone wants to play legacy, modern and commander over the format you want people to play. The few people I know who play standard all say they do it because they can't afford formats they prefer and it has been a laughing stock for a while now.

I'm pretty sure that Wotc pays attention to format numbers and I'm pretty sure that Standard is still the most widely played format around.

If they did not hit the reset button every now and again, then what happens is your cards rapidly become useless. Those expensive eternal staples that you bought would become trash.

They know they need to do it. Wizards isn't stupid though, they purposefully weave eternal playable cards into the mix in order to keep some value.

Just look at the rest of the Merfolk in Ixalan, and then tell me Wizards didn't print this card specifically for Modern.

Kopala is shit though

Depends on how you want your powerlevel. Cards like approach, glorybringer and GPG are fun when theres a playpen where you cant bring things like bolt, path or relic. Just because I cant standstill some nerd in modern doesnt mean I cant have fun with lantern control, and Ill always have feelings for my UB landstill even though my true love, Stax, is really only viable in vintage.

I didn't say it was good, I said it was made for Modern.

>modern
>eternal
I don't think this word means what you think it means.

It's 2017, stop living in the past.

Ok, NON ROTATING FORMAT. Ffs, stop with this fucking bullshit. Different user, yet fed with you, stupid retard.

What is it like living with aspergers?

Devs make mistakes, but even WotC isn't reatarded enough to make kopala for modern and fail so horribly.

It's not THAT bad dude.

Comfy enough.