LANCER General

Have you ever wanted to play Titanfall in RPG form penned by none other than Abbadon, the genius behind Kill 6 Billion Demons? Then LANCER is the RPG for you! Make builds, discuss mechanics, suggest what they should add next!

[Spoiler]No trolls. No sweeties. Constructive criticism only. Final Destination.[/Spoiler]

We have sufficiently established that Lancer is entirely unsuitable to Titanfall.

And learn to spoiler, dimwit.

That was just a troll pathetically whinging on. Pay him no heed.

Then why are you using the past tense and not saging?

Because I want this thread to do well, troll.

You want the thread created by an user who you claim to be a troll to do well?

I think you failed your reading comprehension check.

Umm sweetie? Did you hit your head as a baby?

Oh dammit it all you already got them here. Can't you just discuss my game already?

The thread was already started on a false premise, so you might as well let it die and start over.

What's wrong with wanting to talk about LANCER?

I'm convinced that it's the shills false flagging as false flaggers, because they genuinely seem to operate under the idea that any publicity is good publicity.

It's the only thing that makes sense, because people who don't like this wouldn't want to give this any more attention than it's already gotten, and the shills keep bumping these threads rather than saging them.

Some of the page layouts are ass, but it seems alright so far. I like the effort going into hammering home the theme.

Thank you! What was your favorite part?

Anyone know how hard it is to setup a game of this with Roll20 ? I'm really tempted to play this with friend but seting up this seems like a pain at first glance.

Never used r20 as a GM btw.

Nothing. But the first two sentences of the thread are.

I don't know enough about >Titanfall to know if that's bait, but could this run Armored Core? Can it capture the total mech customization or the inescapable sense of suffocating nihilism and isolation?

I'm not sure which is more important for Armored Core.

Well, getting new parts is a LOT harder than in AC, but you get some amount starting out and you have a fair amount of customization options and you can have even more with the jury-rig stuff if you want to focus on that.

As for nihilism... some of the available configurations are "warcrimes on legs", all of the AI's are hostile towards you (unless you are a dude who is explicitly good at handling AIs), and getting killed is easy in general, with your life not being worth much in the grand scheme of things.

>suffocating nihilism
I'M PICKLE RIIIIIIICK

Not that kind of suffocating nihilism. Replace flippancy with utter bleakness.

It's not precisely that dark, but it is dangerous. AI isn't to be exactly trusted since an unshackled AI is many times hostile, and all material goods are ultimately disposable because of the ubiquity of universal, decentralized manufacture in the form of 3D printing everything.

PCs as Lancer Pilots are rare and valuable individuals, with a lot of cash and time spent on their training, but are certainly not worth very much in the grand scheme of things. Death is generally player-choice unless effects explicitly state that death is a direct consequence (like a few entries on the critical damage table), although there's quite a lot that's lethal to PCs in the combat zone.

Sounds alot like being a Raven. I'll give the fluff a reskin and see if it works. Thanks!
Btw, research Armored Core and use that as the "it's like...." product comparison. I've been looking for a system and I'm pretty excited to look into this one.

There's a few mech systems out there, but I'm unsure as to why there's not a popular one. Then again, most results I can find are all from the early 90s and take direct inspiration from anime. Everything after that has mechs as an afterthought stuffed into a generic scifi future system.

Lancer seems neat in that the smaller scale of the mechs means players can still have an impact outside of the robot, and jockeying other mechs as a quick replacement is an option. Does Armored Core have a lot of Pilot shenanigans outside the mech?

I personally haven't seen an mech RPG around that can reconcile Pilots on foot and Pilots in mechs simultaneously due to problems with scaling the two. But giving the players a more narrative play mode against the crunchier mech rules seems to work okay in that regard. At least, in this Beta of a WIP RPG.

Armored Core doesn't really tackle the idea of being outside your mech, even between missions. The main characters don't even have names outside of Pilot or Raven, and anything that isn't an A.C. is kind of trash. But that's not to say humans don't exist outside of their suits, so it may be a welcomed addition. Loss of humanity is a big theme, as is not having friends outside of your mission handler (and even then only kinda). It would be interesting to be able to have a "humanity" mechanic that can be spent on boosts but comes at other detriments, like mechanical debuffs and rp quirks (like shying away from food or forgetting to sleep).

Anyways I gotta read the rules and see how it shakes out.

Chromestrike already does Armored Core: the RPG though.

Abaddon!
Add in a system where you can customise the size of your mechs. Maybe add an open-ended size scale to the chassis types. There's just no option for especially large mecha right now.

And hasn't been updated in like two years. I like chromestrike, alot, but it's only half finished and it's pretty much an abandoned project. Which makes me sad, and interested in other projects as well.

Open-ended might be a neat addition. But if you get anything above Size 3, scale becomes a problem. Same reason the mechs have to be small enough to scale with pilots. Adding in a scaling option could be neat, as one mech already has an upgrade to reduce its size category, so having another able to bulk up wouldn't be too out of place.

Large-scale mecha as a common thing doesn't seem like an option for this system, at least not for the PCs. I mean, at Size 4 you're in C-130 sized territory, and fuck if you're going to be able to balance that with a 15ft tall speedy mech.

Yes, this is not really the system for Armored Core, although sad to hear about Chromestrike. Seems really shitty that we don't have a standard, decent, or just well-known mech RPG for tabletop, and hearing about a promising project losing support is disheartening.

Why do you hate my current system? If I wanted to do that, don't you think I'd have done it?

Yeah, there's nothing that really quite scratches the Armored Core itch. As odd as it sounds, I'd be willing to take Chromestrike and port it into the upcoming Genesys system. Because it really did show so much promise.

What about this system makes it a bad fit for AC?

Smaller scale of the mechs (I assume: AC looks a bit larger, Lancer is roughly Titanfall scale), larger emphasis on pilots out-of suits, nothing to represent loss of humanity or such conflict which seems pretty important. You'd be missing a few core elements that you'd have to build in yourself to get the flavor and themes of AC. I mean, it could work, but there'd have to be work done to it, and that's not even considering that this is still an open beta.

As it is, it seems like you could play Lancer to play... Well, Lancer, and maybe not!Titanfall if you want to get deep into homebrewing it to fi. If you want the specifics of a setting like Armored Core, then you're either going to have to find a mech system that works better for it, or homebrew in what you need.

>Why do you hate my current system?
I don't.
>If I wanted to do that, don't you think I'd have done it?
Oh, and there was me thinking that you were after constructive criticism.

It's a false flagging troll. Abaddon is actually a pretty cool dude, from what I remember in the K9BD threads.

As always, it's the fans who are a toxic pile of shit.

Thinking back to the Symbaroum RPG, I'm wondering if that might solve some of the consistency issues I've had with this system. If enemy weapon and armor stats were, instead of rolled, consistent and pre-statted, it would make combat more streamlined for the GM, and threateningly swingy for the PCs.

You'd have to add an Armor roll to the PCs, though. For light armors it might just be a single d3, or d6 for heavier, plus a modifier for how tanky their mech is (some have Armor 1 already). This is how much damage they can reduce per hit. Enemies, however, would deal a set amount of damage per successful attack, maybe 4 for the lightest weapons, and anywhere from 5-7 for medium and 8-15 for heavy. Enemies would also get set armor reduction rather than rolling like the PCs would.

It's make the system more threatening and combat can be more swingy as the PCs have to rely on rolling well. Still, Symbaroum's system is build for Symbaroum, and I'm not sure how well it'd work in Lancer, but the idea seems interesting. Symbaroum PCs also have a lot less health before going down, so a bad armor roll can quarter a PC's health.

But you'd have to rework the entire system to make that idea work, mostly with regards to health, armor, and damage. That's a lot of rewriting of every single mech chassis in the game list and a little bit on every enemy after that.

>All mechs have a storage compartment that can hold 3 discrete items (a pilot weapon, a survival kit, spare ammo, a repair kit, a first aid kid) or 1 discreet large item (a portable generator, a large battery, a spare pilot hard suit, a communications array, a dog).
I love it

seems to be map squares and straight d3, d6 and d20 rolls. Shouldn't be much difficult.

Icons on roll20 usually have the three indicators (red/green/blue) of which two can easily be used for health and heat. Things like auras can be done as well, so that's most stuff covered.

The main issue seems to be that many of the same people willing to spend 12 hours crunching numbers in pathfinder have no interest in doing the same for anything else.

You run into people that will happily suggest building entire fleets of vehicles by hand under Silcore (much crunchier and customizable though effects-based rather than parts-based) but they're few and far between.

IIRC chrome strike did energy and homing weapons bad if at all.

Do area weapons cause extra damage to bigass targets?

Does armor apply to total damage or to all damage rolls?

Say you have 3 armor, and a weapon does d6 energy and d6 heat. Does the armor remove 6 points of damage from each hit?

When you get it expanded with mechanic talent, do you obtain 3 new items, or do you have to get them somehow somewhere else?

You're not seriously pretending (or maybe you're both anons) that's actually the game's author are you?

Come on. It's clearly that "sweetie" fuckwad.

I'm not sure how you get six points of damage reduction at all. But armour doesn't reduce heat damage, as far as I can tell. In your example you'd reduce the kinetic damage by 3 and not reduce the heat at all.

>No sweeties
Is this some obscure reference I'm missing?

I don't really know where the mechanic talent is but I know there's an upgrade that does double it. I'd assume you could get them from a base if it's like guns or just some rp for another dog

We couldn't get fuckjackshitall about the system or game in general in some previous threads because of some cumchugging fucktard spending hundreds of posts derailing things as much as possible.

AIDF detected

I'm playtesting the game with my group and it's going well so far

I'm pretty happy with the mech building aspect of it but haven't dug into combat yet

is anyone running the module? if so, do you have any maps or anything you're using for Evergreen?

Umm sweeties, why are y'all so angry?

It's probably because the OP's are always cockgobblers, even when they're not blatantly pretending to be falseflaggers.

Ohai shill, having fun playing with abbyboi?

Oh boy, here comes the hate squad/one angry virgin with nothing better to do with his life than jealously screech at his betters.

Why do you hate successful, happy people so much?

Do they remind you of what you'll never be?

why respond?

Armor reduces damage from all sources. In RAW, that includes heat.

There's some kind of shadow war between shills and shitposters going on, making these threads nigh-unreadable.

I would think that doesn't include hit incurred by performing actions yourself

heat*

Might be grasping here, but is this whole system supposed to more accurately represent Steel Lancer Arena International (SLAI)? Cause the thought of that just got my nostalgia boner at maximum as I still play it to this day.

Giant mecha are just bases on legs. They’re not meant to scale with other mecha cause that isnt the point. Let them be unshackled planetoids but limited to mega-governments/corporations and those with truly arcane knowledge as to how it all works.

Players could slowly form a home base mecha over time. Growing it in size and manuverability from wherever they started from.
And they all have an exhaust port that’ll destroy the entire thing

Same. If you follow armor rules as written though, armor stacking provides one of the best builds as it protects you from heat and 80% of weapons. Drone builds start with armor piercing drones and invasion based mechs aren't hindered by an opponent's armor making those two solid counters to the armored monster.

This thread isn't your ordinary, everyday autism.
This is ADVANCED AUTISM.

I know, right? These shills are unbelievable.

I don't know who's jewing who anymore.

Well, seeing as only one side is trying to trick you into doing free work so they can sell you the final product, I'd say it's them.

>implying I'll pay for the final product

It doesn't matter, they'll probably still run a Kickstarter for it on top of the patreon they already run for it.

>I won't pay for the final product
>Well they'll be doing intermediary stuff!
Yeah nigger, I'm not going to pay for that either. Are you retarded?

It wasn't a question of if you'll pay, just an explanation of who's jewing who

Does armour cap out at 6? Or did I just assume that based on aim and stat bonuses capping at +6? If armour doesn't cap I want to try and build some sort of untouchable monster. Off the top of my head I can think of two systems that give you +3 armour each, and the default one that gives +1.

Fair enough, but don't think you're out of the running you crypto-kike.

I haven't found a cap listed for armor. Just beware of AP weapons.

I feel like AP weapons are reasonable rate. I get the feeling the system assumes most mechs are going to be sitting at something like 2-4 armour, so AP weapons are useful, but not essential.

How effective is dakka in Lancer? I'd imagine since innacuracy can (by nature) only cap at a -6, You'd be incentivised to go balls to the wall, remove your arms, and use only/mostly integrated heavy weapons.

There's no patreon for this. One of the authors has a patreon that supports his webcomic and other stuff he does on the side.

IIRC, Abbadon has said that LANCER will be "free" for any Patrons. I.E. you can just sub for a month and effectively get LANCER from $2.

Don't worry, I'm one of those Jews that only jews Jews

>There's no patreon for this.
>LANCER will be "free" for any Patrons.
HMMM

Did you even read what I said.

It seems like it would be effective if you built to just be a fun truck, but integrating weapons prevents you from mounting other systems, since those pretty much all use exclusively internal points.

'course he did. He'd be a much worse troll than he already is if he didn't.

Are internal points really that important?

It depends? Do you want to have an AI, or armour, or a flight module, or a tactical cloak, or a repair system, or drones, or advanced software? If you don't want any of those, then no. For reference, the ungodly hackermech I cooked up uses all 15 of its IP routing using any EP. That's after I get my sister for free with technophile. And honestly I'd like to have more IP on that for more actual systems, since that's 15 IP of just software.

Holy fuck autocorrect. My mech uses 15 IP without any EP. And my AI is free, not my sister.

That's what you get for phoneposting, user.

>it's free if you just buy it!
The sad part is that sales pitch has probably worked on someone

Lel mobilecucks

"It's free if you buy it" is basically every "buy one get one free" price ever, so yeah, it's worked on a number of people.

Buy one get one free is at least a 50% net discount. This is like saying "buy one, get that one you just bought free"

But you're not buying that thing that you already bought, you're buying a month of whatever's in his Patreon. Maybe you were gonna donate anyway for other benefits, and you get it free anyway. Or, maybe you just want the RPG and couldn't care less about Abbadon.
Either way, let's stop arguing this. It's (quite literally) just semantics.

I kind of want to play Mekton Zeta now.

Depends on the build I'd say but I've got a drone commander build I'm favoring anyways so armor doesn't mean anything anyway.

Same. Or really any other better mecha RPG

Watch out for hydra cores. They can shut down every drone core with 1 invasion, and on a 20+ do 1d6 damage per drone nexus.

This made me laugh much more than it should have.

you sound like a cunt

This is only tangentially related to Lancer, but who shat in /co/'s coffee? They've been going on and on about Veeky Forums being shit in the KSBD thread

It's probably the shills butthurt that Veeky Forums rejected them

The formatting in this is awful. Can't you do some basic graphic design to make this easier to read.

You'd think a guy best known for his comic would be better at visual presentation.
But then, his comic is a hot, sloppy mess too.

Oh fuck you dude, why'd you let Veeky Forums in?

>why'd you let Veeky Forums in?
Boredom and curiosity. And also because it's rude to talk about people behind their back, you know?
But hey, look on the bright side. Now you guys will realize first hand that all the shitposting in LANCER threads is literally just that one user.
Enjoy the next ~350 posts back on KSBD General