When are times you had real, genuine fun while playing a tabletop game? Not just regular enjoyment, like...

When are times you had real, genuine fun while playing a tabletop game? Not just regular enjoyment, like, when were you last super pumped to be playing a game?

I'm a Forever GM. I haven't had fun playing since highschool.

Honestly a long ass time. I think the last time I looked forward to a session really was about two and a half years ago. I think I just got sick of my group being constantly murderhoboy and constantly retarded

That said I still am able to have fun every now and again. I just really want variety

Bitch I haven't even slain a dragon yet. I mean, sure, I've fought a couple of 'em, hacked at their ankles until they keeled over. But I've never actually slain one.

The last time I was a player.

So, a couple years ago.

Why do you GM if you don't enjoy it? I'm a forever GM mostly because my group doesn't want to GM for systems that aren't standard, like DnD. If I didn't enjoy it though, I just wouldn't do it.

Oh I enjoy it, I just need to take breaks more often than when I'm a player. I also really miss being a player, and I'm thinking of telling my group that I want someone else to run something for once, even if it means I have to find a new group.

I imagine it's the usual reason. The group needs a GM to maintain the social stuff around the game, and that's him. It's easy to say "well, jsut go out for drinks, then" but gaming groups just drift apart without the game there

playing EDEN the game with a angsty queer lesbo. Had a mission that made me and her/he creep around for 4 rounds. Things escaleted when she/it throw a boomerang on round 4. Round 5&6 was only killing each other. But 4 rounds of build up was intense.

> Go to university
> Somehow all my roommates are interested in DND
> One says he'll GM
> We proceed to manage a campaign every two weeks for almost two god damn years.
> Long continual plot taking us across the world
> Characters go from level 1 to like 17 or 18
> Everyone has a blast
> My character actually becomes venerated as a god though a long and convoluted plot by our cleric.
> Actually acquires a few divine ranks.
> Am used as an almighty beatstick against infernal threats by the party
> Keep small but local church running by preforming occasional miracles.
> GM Lets us use my character church as a religion/domain of choice in all campaigns to this day.
> Pic related, had some artwork done to commemorate Mac, the Warforged Fighter God.

Man, I can't explain how fun it is RPing a robot that becomes a god.

Just had a Blades in the Dark campaign come together nicely. It was a clusterfuck of player choices coming to a head, and I loved every second of it.

>Party is a bunch of quiet people led by lolrandum nat 20 players
A while

I am just imagining your party facing off some smug as fuck Infernal who thinks he's hot shit only for this Ceasar ass robot to come marching onto the scene, blue fire flicking off his armor, and the Infernal shitting himself as the robot messiah reels his fist back to demonstrate some personal divine might into said devil's face.

Mac had no idea of what a god was suppose to be like, so he basically just went with the most stereotypical toga wearing Zeus style he could think of.

If you have never looked into divine ranks before, holy fuck, there is a LOT of upside to being a god. Free teleport, tons of DR, it goes on and on.

Mad props to our GM for not making me feel too OP though, I was given plenty of god sized problems to deal with.

>Being a god while the rest of your party are still normal people
>"Okay gang, we have to rally these peasants and prepare them to face against the dark tyrants army of barbarians. Oh, not you though Mac, you have to stop that giant space whale from swallowing the sun. You go deal with that while we clean up this mess."

Takko is pure

Last time I was super hyped was a campaign that fizzled and died after the first big boss we fought.

It was really demoralizing.

That's cool art user

I started the Crystal Kingdom arc yesterday, just got past listening to the Hodge Podge encounter. The battle wagon race was more exciting then I ever anticipated hearing a D&D game would be

I feel you man. The last time I got hyped about a campaign was the first, and currently, only time I ever played D&D. It was a fun little campaign that lasted a few weeks, it involved me sneaking through a cave of giant spiders using a corpse as cover, sneaking in and fighting off an entire bandit cave on my own by getting into a guard tower, and setting a dwarf wizard's face on fire. It wasn't much, but I had fun

I felt they spent a little too long on the Battle Wagon and the Hodge-Podge encounters. Honestly, so far as I've watched, that's the biggest issue I have with the show is Griffin makes good ideas last just a little too long. It honestly is such a fun podcast though. I need to get back to listening, I'm on the last two parts of Crystal Kingdom and I hear it really kicks off after that.

Well I can forgive when he makes ideas last long, since most of the time the reason things drag on is cause Justin, Travis and Clint are doing either something silly, or something crazy, that causes the situation to continue onward. Still, due to their nature of wacky antics the battle wagon race had some incredibly exciting moments, and was a hoot to envision, with the gang bouncing all over the place in some Mad Max battle scene. Also for Hodge-Podge, it was pretty much entirely the gangs fault for not connecting the dots about the bonus round question.

Sunday.

Unless you specifically mean playing and not GMing. Five or six years ago. I don't meet many good GMs.

Not quite that extreme, it usually boiled down to a pretty big CR mob that needed to be tanked while the rest of the team dealt with shit hitting the fan elseware in the fight. My role sort of swapped from full on murder fighter to Dad God protecting my 'followers'.

GM favorite thing to do was to make conflict in my church I had to deal with,

>"mac, so it seems your worshipers have started another race war in your name"

">fuck"

Thanks. Had a guy that goes by O do it. He use to have a webcomic called commissioncomic or something, but lately he stopped taking commissions from normal folks and sort of just does work for book covers and stuff. He stream a lot of it though.

Oh fuck. Give me the details of the religion/domain.
I wanna use it now.

I was super pumped to GM for the second session in a row until three party members out of five flaked hours before we were supposed to start and one of the remaining ones said they weren't sure they wanted to keep playing. I've asked for feedback and gotten absolutely nothing.
Who the fuck does that? How am I supposed to learn what I did wrong?

Playtesting a game in development, really fun to watch it slowly come together.

I don't have all the details handy, but I'll make a thread about the process of becoming a god come time and put in the full details (domain spells, conditions, rituals, etc).

The funniest thing that it's ever resulted in was one time I got a call at work and it was my GM friend who was currently in the middle of a campaign and a cleric who was using the domain was seeking guidance from Mac so he asked me for advice over speaker phone. Was kind of hard considering I had zero context as to their situation.

A few weeks ago.
>be me, GM roll20 5e
>Players are trying to "rescue" a nobleman who joined a cult
>Scope the place out, abandoned church in bad part of town
>Ranger and cleric sneak in the window, knocks out the noble with poison, tries to get him through the window
>too fat.jpg
>same time, fighter gets caught by patrolling cultists
>panics, pretends to be drunk
>cultists take her inside, try to lock her in a room for the night till she dries out
>she breaks loose, starts running through the halls
>wakes up the whole temple
>ranger and cleric decide to just drag the noble through the front door in the chaos
>get caught by guards at the door, fight ensues
>Cult leader arrives, 11 HD cleric
>Invokes the name of his dark god while slinging spells at the party
>pull no punches, party almost wipes, just barely manage to kill the cult leader and all his followers
>drag noble home, get paid

It was the most tense, exciting encounter I've ever run. The entire party was on the edge of their seats for those damage rolls. Don't know if I'll be able to top it.

Our Final Fantasy-inspired 4e campaign. It ended a little over a week ago, and I'm somewhat sad, because it was by far the best and most fleshed-out campaign I've played in. Went on for about a year and a half, which is probably the longest of our campaigns to date.

It was a wild ride, through and through. Each of the players (sans one person) had two PCs, so the main cast was about 9 characters total. We had our own downtime system between sessions, which often turned into full-blown sessions themselves, with PCs doing thing ranging from gathering plants for medicine and gathering information from NPCs, to running political campaigns and becoming literal gods.

I could rave and rave about the campaign, and I can't think of a moment I did not absolutely look forward to the next session. I've posted about it a few times before even in different contexts even. Low-key hope we play another game in the same setting sometime in the future, but our GM says he isn't really planning on it. Considering the campaign was a globe-trotting adventure culminating with defeating an overdeity, I guess there's not much room to build off of, but man, I'll miss it.

Last time I GM'd (a few months ago) or last time I played more than one session (that's about ten years ago now).

My most recent game, actually. I recently rekindled an old friendship from high school, and started playing with said friend's tabletop group weekly. He started up a Pokemon campaign using a homebrew system of his, and I even got to create my own Fakemon character for the game. I've found myself becoming super invested in my character and the plot, and get excited for Tuesday nights now (when the game happens). Haven't felt this way for a game in a long time, I like it. I think it helps that most of my tabletop experiences for the past 5 years have been over Skype with my online group, it's refreshing to play in person with cool people I used to go to school with. The game being Pokemon helps, too, considering I'm a huge fan of the series.

I set up a session for d&d with the premise of warforged and a civil war between humans and elves versus dwarves and warforged going on. the players got to do some espionage missions taking to the enemy's back lines sabotaging shit and at the end of session five they had infiltrated a workshop where they found a giant battle suit. i asked them to write up an idea each for what the battle suit should do, so they could have their own special mech warrior and I hyped up that there was a spot where a second one was, and at the end of the session they had killed the pilot for the one they were about to steal.

they got really into it, and that sunday i went in and deleted the campaign on roll20. this isn't the first time ive done this shit on roll20, but this one is the most memorable because of the amount of tard rage the throw-away email got in it. at first it was utter confusion but after three weeks I got a death threat. by that time I had already started another email and started another account. i almost got caught because a repeat customer joined the table (not from the warforged game) and then suddenly left halfway through session one.

I dont feel like committing myself to a long campaign, I like creating scenarios and ideas and I get comedy gold out of the confusion generated, but that civil war game was the first time I got cataclysmic levels of anger from this shit.

Right now I'm running a blades in the dark game and I'm having a alright time its clear what my players enjoy from a game and what I enjoy from the game is not the same so sometimes it feels like I'm not doing a good job gming because I don't get any joy out of it where the players say they had a good time.

As a player I don't think I been in a game for a bit where I was "pumped" to play I'm in two games now one I'm thinking about leaving because I don't think things are working out and I'm just not having fun anymore but I want to give the game one last session because I been in there for a while and he even moved the game time up because I was going to leave a few weeks ago because of timing. The other game I joined because a player asked me if I wanted to join during the time I was just looking for games he knows that what is being run is not for me and I'm just there to be there.