Why are deserted stone ruins and temples always so spooky?

Why are deserted stone ruins and temples always so spooky?

Because most of them weren't deserted willingly

>always spoopy

Not really. This seems a place in which you could find a cute nymph and having a good Pan time with her.

It's Pan because it's a cute nymph (male)

>tfw he died because we became too jaded for the gods

This.
>marvel of architecture
>archive of the world's greatest knowledge
>a bank of wealth beyond imagine
>home to life and luxury
And then it's all deserted. Nobody does that shit because they want to.

You murrikans can't understnad ruins. No, seriously, it's pretty clear you don't have them as feature of you region and no, ruins are simply a haunted old house.

Ruins are melancholic things. They might be creepy, that's for sure, but quite often they're sweet, sad things, that remind you of the eternal renewal of nature and while this has an underling theme of "what good are man's works?" it's actually a soothing tought at the same time.

It's no wonder they are a staple of art from the renaissance.

>now to be fair nowdays ruins are generally more garden-like than "jungle on the mayan pyramid", but still

You're rude and quite frankly if I'm being honest I don't know if would call you a friend

>Where ever I go, I must mention Americans

>implying American Burgerlanders are real

Deserted buildings are always spooky. Buildings are only created so people can use them, so when there are no people around, it feels wrong.

I don't find em spooky. If anything there comfy as fuck and gives me warm fantasy feelings that I desperately crave.

If you go spend the night in one, your feelings might change

>spooky
What?

Ruins aren't spooky. They're comfy and usually a little bit of sad. The feeling you get from visiting one is a one of wonder at what happened there hundreds of years ago, a feeling of connection to the past, and at the same a disconnect and a feeling of sorrow and longing nostalgia to a time you never got to live.

We have one ruin; we call it Detroit. It's not a very nice place to go.

Nigga there's plenty more than that.

Eurofags just don't know all that much about the US.

That's in the states, but it's not really ours, is it? We didn't build it; we just claimed the land.

>two (2) places mentioned
>one is a meme ghost city (as will any other fatso ruin posted)
laughingitalians.jpg.bat

Its an old structure built by humans that is still sitting around.

All through the southwest are structures like that. The pueblo cultures were all over the place and that style of brick construction was widespread. That just happens to be one of the more spectacular examples. A lot of the oldest stuff elsewhere wasn't built with bricks and didn't necessarily stand the test of time outside of large earthworks like what the caddoan people did. And you go down into Mexico and central america, there's more of the large scale stone work ruins around.

Yeah, it ain't no Italy, but very few places are. But to say that ruins aren't a thing in the Americas is naive.

Don't forget the ancient Mississippian Burial Mounds and hills

>spooky
Not the right word for me. If I take a wander through some ruins, I would say the feelings I get are, in no particular order;
A sort of melancholy, a sadness that I'll never see the structure or complex in its prime, being used as it was meant to be.
I'll feel curious as to what that original purpose was. Obviously for some we will have writings and histories that give an idea, but there are specifics that I'll never know. Were there in-jokes about particular rooms among the servants? What did the main hall smell like on a hot day?
I also get a sense of awe, a tingling feeling of power at the passage of time and the idea that someone came up with the plan to haul stone and mortar into a shape that still stands in some form today.

The Caddoan are one of the mississippian cultures, yo. I live pretty close to one of the bigger sites. Its a neat place to go visit.

>They might be creepy, that's for sure, but quite often they're sweet, sad things, that remind you of the eternal renewal of nature and while this has an underling theme of "what good are man's works?" it's actually a soothing tought at the same time.
Are you kidding me? That's an absolutely terrible thought.
Fuck the renewal of nature, man's works ought stand for all of time.

A bit excessive, I like a mix of both.

Reminds me of the old Scooby Doo episode

>instead of ghosts going boo, all you'll hear is a bang
>black spectres then swarm your body for your wallet
Ruins are spooky

Should, maybe. But no matter how much you boast and stamp your feet, nothing lasts forever Ozymandias.

What is man, but another product of the earth and nature? Though we may view ourselves as greater than nature, we do nothing but fulfill and follow the same base natural desires that this earth allowed us to develop.

In the end we too will die. We will fade away, as does all things of the earth. And again after our death another race will be born, stuffer and thrive just as we did, and die back as well.

What is, has been, and will be again. There is nothing new under the sun

Plenty of Spooks in Detroit, user.

It's not ancient, but I doubt Euros have any ruins as magnificently wasteful as the Salton Sea. It's an entire accidental lake that is surrounded and filled with ruins.

>WE
Modern Eurofats didn't make Ancient Greece either

Man, the one thing that I remember the most from being near the Salton Sea was the smell.

God damn was it awful.

I'm American and in the next town over there's a place called Powder Mill Trail. It's a trail along the Scantic river in Connecticut and it was the site of a powder mill exploding way back in the day. The ruins of the dams and buildings are still scattered throughout the trail and it's always reminded me of Amon Hen from Fellowship of the Ring.

That's because the cause of its ruination is still present and dangerous.

I watched a documentary once about why old buildings, and sometimes factories amplify our fear responses, sometimes to the level of hallucination. The conclusion was that there is a common frequency in predatory animal warning & attack noises that automatically give us a fear response and that some factory equipment would thrum this frequency causing a lot of different little ghost stories, always near the same industrial fan that just happened to give off this frequency.

Supposedly really old houses made out of certain materials would hum it lightly because of magnets or something.

Ruins have been viewed differently at different periods of time though, and it also depends on who built the ruins and what relationship they have to the current culture. It's never as simple as just one thing. There's Old English poetry where the writer is able to look at ruins and both see the passing of an age, but still imagine the people that once lived in them going about their lives - it was an everpresent reminder of another, better world that they could not compare to, but could still see.

If you think about it in a fantasy sense, ruins aren't always going to create a feeling of sadness. A ruined building that was once a temple to an evil god will create a foreboding feel to anyone familiar with its dark past, while a ruin associated with a recent social or religious movement might still be used as a staging ground for revivals of that movement. It might bring to mind the passing of something seemingly eternal, or a reminder of how quickly times change.