Red pill me on MTG, it’s been years since I’ve played, and I’ve heard some shit

Red pill me on MTG, it’s been years since I’ve played, and I’ve heard some shit.

It's the best it's ever been

EDH is the best fun format.

It's a complete mother fucking scam and the players are fully complaint hostages.

>complaint

COMPLIANT fuck

It's garbage just like all tcgs

Delete target post

They have black people on the cards now.

Which is different from when they had black people on the cards in the 1990s.

Short non-shitpost answer is that its fine
It all really depends on the format you play and each format has its pros and cons
Booster draft pros are that you dont need a deck you can just play without any buy in cost, the cons are the recent draft sets have been very hit or miss and Ixalan may be one of the worst in a long time for draft
Standard is utter garbage now, avoid like the plague. Its all just pushed threats with extremely weak removal and to top it off its expensive, recently just had like 5 bannings in a year and even still isnt that good.
Modern is the breakout star, it might have not existed when you last played but it is by far the most popular Magic format nowadays, the format is incredibly diverse with many different strategies and is cheaper then long term Standard. Only con is that the format has a tendency to feel random because its so open you can lose to a lot of cards. Probably the best format though.
Legacy is cool, its got a lot of cool interactions and gameplay if you can afford it. Thats the con, the Reserved List makes the format insanely expensive and most people wont be able to buy in. Its also less open and diverse then Modern , but its still a great format.

Oh and theres Commander too but its really weird. The concept of the format is fine and the gameplay can be fun and varied, but it is imperative that your playgroup is good. Playing with randos or a bad playgroup is the worst thing in the world and will make you never want to play Magic again. DO NOT PLAY COMMANDER IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A PLAYGROUP WHO YOU ENJOY HANGING OUT WITH!

Mana burn is gone.
Combat damage doesn't use the stack anymore.
Legend rule changed, now each player can have a legendary permanent of the same name, but if you try to stick a second one then you have to pick one that survives and send the other(s) to the graveyard.
If you keep a hand that has less cards than the number you're supposed to start with, you get to scry 1 before the game starts.
Veeky Forums is less bad at Magic but only because discussion of Magic on Veeky Forums is steadily becoming more and more dominated by people who don't play Magic.

Magic is not just one of the best card games, not just one of the best traditional games, MtG is one of the best games period. Ever.

Magic is legitimately in a very good place, sans standard. If you have the burgerbucks to get into any other format go ahead, they're all pretty healthy atm, but Standard is going yo be a festering shit pile until late next year when we start getting to sets designed post Kaladesh. They supposedly fixed the dev team, which has been the only thing holsing the game back for years. Hopefully they fuck up again and Aaron Forsythe gets fucking fired for gross incompetence.

We went to Egypt and bad things happened to everyone, which was great because everyone had it coming. Now we're stuck on an island with dinosaurs and pirates. As soon as we leave, we're finally heading back home to Dominaria for the first time in the last decade.

I've played MTG since 2001.

If you want to play the formats that only use the newer half of cards printed, like Standard or Modern, you'll love it.

If you want to play formats that allow old cards, like Legacy, Vintage, or EDH, prepare to be massively frustrated by the Reserved List. It's a list of cards, most of which are very good and necessary for construction of many decks, that Wizards of the Coast has promised to never reprint. This has caused a massive increase in price of those cards, especially over the last 1-2 years.

If I knew about the Reserved List when I first started, I wouldn't have ever started.

>This has caused a massive increase in price of those cards, especially over the last 1-2 years.
I disagree. I feel like we can trace the skyrocketing prices back to 2012 and Return to Ravnica block.
RTR and Innistrad were bringing in buckets of players.
Modern was really hitting its stride.
We had just come off of two standards where there were a couple high dollar cards and although there were plenty of complaints about them, those cards turned enough money to warrant further prodding with the secondary market.
Standard hit a point where it was the easiest it had been in a long time, anyone could just buy a bunch of shocklands and pushed rares/mythics and then go crush FNM with three color goodstuff.

And now we're left with today's monstrosity of a market that will dectuple a card's price based off a few Twitter posts.

It's not even questionable that the Reserved List is the most important factor in the increase of prices on these cards.

Leading up to the announcement of Eternal Masters, there had been some speculation that Wizards might either change the Reserve List or slowly phase out cards. The day the set was officially announced and it was confirmed that no Reserved List cards were in it, there was a large spike on a lot of RL cards.

Yes, the large increase in players have caused some pretty ridiculous prices on older cards because there just aren't enough cards in circulation for the current number of players.

But the RL is the largest factor and it's not even debatable.

It's still better than everything else.

It's really cheap if you just buy singles. Especially EDH/Singleton formats.

Anyone complaining about prices is a poorfag.

>avacyn
;_;

Dinos are fun at least

Ixalan is not shit

>but it is by far the most popular Magic format nowadays

That'd be Limited, followed by EDH.

too expensive to play anymore if you have not already bought into it. the average standard deck cost $300 and the average modern deck is $1000. you could try playing EDH but only autists play that format and you probably wont find it enjoyable if you are a functioning adult

I dream about a day when I can have me 4 norwood priestess in a deck but again.. she's portal and I dunno what ever happened to that shit.

isn't there some sort of free game you can play online though? I forgot what it's called right off hand.

your thinking of arena but that isnt out yet and its "free" like hearthstone is "free". you can technically play it without spending money but you will never actually win anything. plus it wont have anything but standard which is the worst format

>the average modern deck is $1000

$800
>Eldrazi Tron

$700
>Affinity
>UW Control
>Titan Shift
>Elves

$600
>Eldrazi & Taxes
>Dredge
>Tron
>Ad Nauseam

$500
>Gifts
>Burn

There are several $200 Standard decks too.

>its not that expensive
>you still will pay more than a months rent on a deck but thats totally justifiable for a childrens card game
>buy standard, your deck will be useless once th new set comes out in 3 months and you will have to buy yet another 300 dollar deck

ya no, magic is to expensive for the average person, its just not worth it

Someone said "$1000" and I'm just presenting the facts.

>more than a months rent
>$500

and you dont seem to understand what the word average means either sense there are an equal number of decks high than $1000

Your generally worse elvish piper is not reserved, just from a set most considered trash at the time (because it wasn't legal and was for beginners) and thus wasn't purchased (and possibly some of the shit was outright thrown out)
They could well reprint it in a non-modern Masters set, a Commander precon, or one of the Core sets now that those will exist again (though the last one will almost certainly have new art), but it's more likely they'll just stick with Elvish Piper for not having a green restriction.
It's expensive because nobody bought the set, people used it as a coaster, and Wizards is unlikely to reprint it because there's things people want more that do the same thing.

Not at all.

At the actual $1000 mark, you've got Death's Shadow and Jeskai control, and Company at $900. There's not currently a tier 1 or 2 deck that's over $1000.

The average from these is closer to $700. If you take out the top 3, it's $630.

What do you think this is? Legacy?

Some people share crap apartments with multiple people.

Still as stupidly expensive as it has always been, and the art team seems to be controlled by SJWs these days with mandated diversity and complete lack of tits making every card boring and cringy to look at. Otherwise it's great.

Don't forget the art has become uninspired and low quality as fuck; another indicator of college graduate SJW artists.

creatures are good, spells are bad, one-drops are worthless, and the lore is a complete abortion

We still have Seb doing cool art.

The best litmus test to tell if someone actually plays mtg or not is if they say it cost too much then list modern/standard deck prices as if those are the only ways to play the game.

You forgot to mention that it's all cgi now, I'm trying to get shitpost bingo dammit

But it's not ALL cgi crap. The Rebecca Guay basic lands from the Saturday Showdown booster packs are gorgeous. Then again she's one of the only consistently good artists in all of Magic.

All your old cards are now worth millions.

Not all. Just mostly.

Even that's an exaggeration.

>Get a Mortgage
>Spend on cardboard
>Make no friends because its antisocial as fuck
>Loose to shitty meta decks
havingfunyet.exe ?

Pokemon is cheaper and more fun. Worst thing is leles, $150 for 3 but they work in all decks. so if you change 'colour' they're still good. Banlist only applies to the 'modern/legacy' equivalent and is about 4 cards. Standard is excellent.

Yu Gi Oh is supposedly the better game of them but you need to sell your soul to fund it and its full of japanime phags. The banlist is about a mile long and there's restricted and limited cards too.
The writing is tiny and there's about 6 different decks depending on what you're playing.

MtG is a fuckton more social than videogames. You have to interact with actual people.

>Get a Mortgage
>Spend on cardboard
>im-fucking-plying

>Yu Gi Oh is supposedly the better game of them
Yugioh is a fucking trainwreck, are you joking?

>expensive for shit modern 'diversty' art
Fucking hell, the art was like half the draw of Magic back in the earliest days.

Honestly just the fact that CGI is on the cards at all for what they cost is offputting.

come on, give granny a kiss.

So you just don't play any game with pictures then I guess?

CGI is just a tool.
You know what's CGI? Elesh fucking Norn, and she's great.

Dinos r shit. Ixa is shit.

All will be one.

Stuff like Phyrexian Dreadnought, Obliterator and Yawgmoth's Will looks miles better than it

My favorite ygo problem is that the poor translations have snowballed. The old card "Frog the Jam" does not have frog in its name in Japanese, so now that there are cards where frog names are relevant, they have to add "except Frog the Jam" on the end of all frog relevant effects in order to retain gameplay parity.
And on top of that, FtJ is a cheap, low power vanilla card that nobody uses anyway.

>except Frog the Jam
I just googled this. This is hilarious. I think the best part is that Frog the jam is not even a good card, there would have been no harm in including it.

If you're trying to suck nostalgia's dick, you probably mean Negator instead of Obliterator.

No, I'm pointing out a card from the same set that is not CG and looks better.

Check out your lgs. If they seem to be pretty cool guys, go for it, Magic is overall in a pretty decent place right now across most formats. If they're a bunch of neckbearded grognards, stay away. Magic is a fine game, but it's not spectacular enough to put in the money without a good playgroup.

>Sans standard
Standard is finally playable again after it went to absolute shit when BfZ was released. It's not the greatest standard format ever, but I would strongly disagree that it's not in a good place right now. now, Ixalan draft on the other hand is a pile of flaming shit.

Following up on this, Magic's biggest advantage is its massive player base, which tends to stick around due to sunk-cost. If there was an english translation of Wixoss and a local player group, I'd drop Magic in a heartbeat. Hell, if there was literally any other tcg active in the area (except yugioh, because that game is legitimately awful), I'd probably play a lot less magic than I do.

Why do you purposefully misrepresent the arguments of those you disagree with?

Magic's other advantage is its secondary market. Magic cards actually hold value and are fairly easy to move.

>getting triggered and responding to a 12 hour old post

For the sweet, sweet (you)s.

Fuck, that's so silly looking it's lovely.

EDH is the only format worth playing. Otherwise play another game.

Apparently the character is based off a picture of the artist's grandmother.

I call her Granny Brassballs just to piss off one of the local players.

If you have friends you want to play with or a shop you want to support/the community of which you want to assert yourself into, it's good.

If not you might be happier overall with other games so long as there'll be people to play it with.

>triggered
lol
>wah 12 hours old
I genuinely don't understand this point. I read that post shortly before I responded, the thread is still up, the initial posting time is irrelevant. There is no such thing as necroposting on a site like Veeky Forums. Perhaps you haven't adjusted yet.

Commander is fucking garbage and it's a shame that it's eating away real magic, that being 60 card casual.

Why play 60 card casual when you could play 100 card casual with your favourite derpy unplayable legendary at the ready?

Lose in 3 turns to mono-blue control, go back to playing pokemon.

Because singleton formats destroy the fun of those whacky strategies? Specially since I'll just splash black to fill my deck with tutors so I can actually try to fetch my non filler fun cards.

I don't see what your issue is. The fun in Commander is the variety, seeing the different parts of your deck work together, in designing synergy over the same three card combo over and over. You might not appreciate it but the "death of MtG" it is not.

It wasn't meant to be a political statement back then. Mirage is probably one of the best Magic sets in terms of flavor. The funniest thing about it all is Ravnica was the best and most sensible place to pull the diversity stunt, but everyone in that set is white for some reason.

I heard the WotC did some pretty SJW type stuff recently.

Alesha, who smiles at death is best trap EDH wifu