media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread
Tomorrow I'm starting my new campaign. Are you happy for me, /5eg/? Do you actually play, or do you just shitpost here?

Other urls found in this thread:

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?538519-Viking-campaign-pitch-feedback-and-advice-needed
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

why would we be happy for you all Veeky Forums feels is unending rage

I play once a month with my childhood friends

KOBOLD DRAGON FIGHTING PARTY

What's the most fun class to play in your opinion?
I'm about to join a Viking themed campaign. We've got a warlock, a ranger, and 3 undecideds

>Do you actually play, or do you just shitpost here?
I WOULD PLAY IF MY GROUP WOULD STOP FUCKING CANCELLING ALL THE FUCKING TIME!

I'm in two weekly games currently. Hope you have a lot of fun OP. I know I am.

That's funny, because I'm about to run a viking campaign. What's the premise of yours?

So the ring of mind shielding can house your soul if you die while wielding it. It then lets you to telepathically communicate with anyone who puts it on afterwards.
Mystics can use their most dangerous control abilities if they can telepathically communicate with their target. RAW you don't need to be "alive" to use your abilities, most of them just require a body.

How do you feel about text-only games?

No clue, definitely mythologically inspired. Probably ragnarok. Our DM is super into Norse mythology from the myths and legends podcast.

>Tomorrow I'm starting my new campaign.
Have fun
>Are you happy for me, /5eg/?
Sure senpai
I fell down the permaDM hole, and hot damn I'm happy I have good players

>What's the most fun class to play in your opinion?
Tempest Cleric is great fun and fits the viking theme

I am happy for you, user. What's the campaign about?

I also got invited to join a game just recently, which is nice. I haven't had a group in a while.

That's not true, at least not all of it. Don't forget misery, self-loathing, misogyny, schadenfreude and plethora of other emotions in similar vein.

I like rogues most, but that's probably not exactly fit for viking campaign. Go Tempest cleric!

I'm considering allowing the musket and pistol from the DMG into my next setting. Should any classes have proficiency by default?

What should a fire arm expert feat have besides proficiency? I was thinking the ability to craft ammo for cheaper, an expanded crit range or extra crit damage and the ability to switch between pistols quickly so if you have multiple loaded pistols you can get a large volley off once per encounter.

thoughts?

I've posted a detailed premise here once.
giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?538519-Viking-campaign-pitch-feedback-and-advice-needed

Folks, I want to do a 5e version of the Monkey Goblin race from PF; how overpowered does this first draft look?
Monkey Goblin
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +1 Constitution
Size: Small
Speed: 25 feet, Climb 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Treetop Dweller: You have a Climb speed of 30 feet, and Advantage on Athletics checks related to climbing.
Fearless: You have Advantage on saving throws against the Frightened condition.
Prehensile Tail: You have a tail which grants you Proficiency in Acrobatics. It can also hold items like a third hand, but it isn't strong or dexterous enough to wield a weapon.

Possess unwary adventurers, make them bring you back from the grave. Keep reusing Psychic Inquisition's Phantom Idea to make them think they NEED to help you.

what your thoughts on female tiefling tail going down their butt and wrapping around their thigh.
>Tail thigh ring.

Are there any suggestions on mechanical differences to the different weapon types that affect how or why a player might go with that weapon? IE slashing allows for this, or bludgeoning weapons might let a player do that.

Sounds hot

I'd figure rangers and fighters would ha e proficiency in them at least

Long story, anons, but I have a campaign setting I'm putting together where unusual halfbreed races are going to be pretty involved. Can I get some feedback on my crunch-brewing efforts, please?

...Except I'm not sure if it's more polite to post them here or to post the g-doc where they're at.

Same. Half my group is busy tonight.
Maybe I'll try and reschedule for tomorrow. The session is going to feature a crazy knife-murderer hunting the party cleric down, so I guess it would make sense to run it on Friday the 13th...

I have two games running, dming one of them and playing a stone Sorcerer with some newbies for the 2nd. Other dm and I alternate every week so we both have more time to prepare.

Anyone have the One Grung Above pdf?
I really want to play a reincarnated/polymorphed Grung Paladin.

Sounds totally fine to me.

Not really, but some monsters are resistant or weak to certain damage types. For example, skeletons are weak to bludgeoning damage and few oozes are immune to slashing.

What's so cool about stone sorcs? If you want 13+abilitymod AC just play a lizardman.

This is basically how i'm doing it.

I was thinking the same thing, or perhaps giving it as a dwarf racial ability, because they're the race that invented guns in the setting.

I'm in curse of strahd and I know it's not very strong but I would like to take Servo crafting with my kobold artificer just for the flavor. What do you think? That's from plain shift kaladesh and it gives you a Servo familiar from the find familiar spell.

Or a Grung Tempest Cleric.

Well if they invented them I'd figure they would be given proficiency

It's the closest to a "true" gish most gishfags will get in 5e without multiclassing.

They're fun

I mean, you need a barbarian, don't you? Berserkers are a big meme in Norse mythos.

I'd rather play as a bullywug.

If muskets and pistols are commonplace, i'd let them be Martial weapons.

If they are rare and exotic, paying feat for proficiency is in order.

They are actually a really solid Sorc subclass. And since sorc doesn't really get much from it's base class worth talking about, it really relies on its subclasses.

So far I've enjoyed playing classes that are the tanky backbone of the party that everyone else can build around, your fighter and paladin types. Currently im trying barb for the first time and am loving how much damage you can take and shit out without even trying.

Heck with it, I'll just try posting.

Tel-Amhothlan - Half-Orc/Half-Elf
Ability Score Modifiers: +1 Dexterity, +1 Strength
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Relentless Endurance: When you are reduced to 0 hit points, but not killed outright, you can instead choose to be reduced to 1 hit point instead. After using this trait, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.
Fey Ancestry: You have Advantage on saving throws against being Charmed and are Immune to Magical Sleep effects.
Keen Senses: You have Proficiency in the Perception skill.
Muddied Heritage: Tel-Amhothlans are chaotic breed and can favor either orcish or elvish aspects of their lineage. Choose the Orcish Brutality, Elvish Grace or Fae Magic subrace options.

Orcish Brutality:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Constitution
Savage Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you increase the damage inflicted by +1 dice.
Powerful Build: You are treated as being one size category larger to determine your capacity to Push, Pull, Drag, Lift and Carry.

Elvish Grace:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Dexterity
Fleet-Footed: Your base walking speed increases to 35 feet.
Natural Athlete: You have Proficiency in the Athletics skill.

Fae Magic:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Charisma
Mystic Talent: You can cast one Wizard cantrip of your choice. Charisma is your casting ability score when casting the cantrips provided by this trait. At the DM's permission, at character creation, you can trade this racial feature for Drow Magic (PHB pg24); this choice cannot be undone later.

I'm going tempest cleric, I love the idea of basically being a human thunder grenade

Generic fluff, for those who give a damn:

The union of elf and orc is an oddity indeed, but when it happens, the resultant hybrids are weirdly graceful and well-formed, compared to their more common half-human kin. The mixing of elven and orcish blood is somewhat unstable, leading to great diversity in what traits are manifested by each individual hybrid. Surprisingly, the most common of tel-amhothlan origins stems from the Underdark, where drow men have been known to mingle with orc slave women, rather than risk their lives in the beds of their own females.

Dworg - Half-Orc/Half-Dwarf
Hated and reviled by all but the most open-minded of dwarven clans, on most worlds, dworgs come into existence in only two ways; when a dwarf woman is assaulted by an orc and survives, or when a dwarf falls so far into evil that he -or she- will willingly consort with orcs. Though some accounts also exist of duergar deliberately breeding halfbreed offspring with orc slaves to use as superior, though still expendable, warrior-slaves.

Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Constitution, +2 Strength
Relentless Endurance: When you are reduced to 0 hit points, but not killed outright, you can instead choose to be reduced to 1 hit point instead. After using this trait, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.
Martial Heritage: You have Proficiency with the Handaxe, Batleaxe and Greataxe.
Sturdy Frame: Your movement speed is not reduced by wearing heavy armor.
Savage Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you increase the damage inflicted by +1 dice.

Asking again from the last thread. I'm about to hit level 3 on my bard and I'm considering going valor, what spells should I have to be the most efficient to the party? Also, Should I take Resilience Wis or Con, or war caster?

Reintroducing "exotic weapons" seems like a bad idea. What they should be is martial weapons, but if you are unfamiliar then you need to take time to train in them.

The logic here is that being proficient in martial weapons represents a general level of competence, rather than one on one training with every weapon on the list.

Resilience (con) is better than Warcaster in my opinion.

Dwelf
Dwelves, also known as Alfar, are the fruit of rare unions between elves and dwarves. Resembling elves with the stature and something of the proportions of dwarves, these deceptively frail-looking creatures possess far greater strength than is apparent, alongside keen minds, driven attitudes and some of the strengths of both their ancestors.

Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Strength
Blood of the Elder Races: You have Resistance to Poison and Advantage on saving throws against the Charmed and Poisoned effects. For special effects keying off of race, you are treated as both an elf and a dwarf.
Gifts of Creation and Destruction: You have Proficiency in your choice of two of the following: a martial weapon, a set of Artisan's Tools, a musical instrument, the Arcana skill, the Nature skill, or the Medicine skill.
Right of Blood: You belong to a subrace which determines the remainder of your abilities. Choose the Born to Stone, Born to the Wild, Born to Magic or Born to Darkness subrace.

What race tho? Clearly you need a shield or you're still sorta squishy, so choose STR or DEX. You want CON of course, and a little bit of CHA, but not necessary 16. I think ideal would be 16 in attack stat and 14 in CON and CHA.

No point going for a dwarf, since you can't wear armor and already get weapon proficiencies. Maybe go mountain dwarf for the stats if you want to use a STR weapon. Half-orc and goliath aren't terrible either. Dragonborn perhaps, but they're kinda gay. Scourge aasimar might actually be awesome.

Born to Stone - These dwelves are particularly dominated by their dwarven ancestry, making them hardier and more adept at surviving in the underground environments of their kin.
Ability Score Increase: +1 Constitution
Heed the Earth: You may add double your Proficiency bonus to History checks relating to the origin of stonework, and can cast the Mold Earth cantrip.

Born to the Wild - These dwelves possess wild elf ancestry, which grants heightened grace and awareness when it is the dominant aspect of their blood.
Ability Score Increase: +1 Constitution
Keen Senses: You have Proficiency in Perception.

Born to Magic - When a dwelf possesses high elf ancestry that comes to dominate its racial mixture, it is possessed of an even sharper mind and inherent mystical abilities.
Ability Score Increase: +1 Intelligence
Arcane Birthright: You know 1 cantrip of your choice from the Wizard spell list, which uses Intelligence as its spellcasting ability score.

Born to Darkness - Only born of the union of drow and duergar, these "dark dwelves" possess magical talents unlike either of their progenitors.
Ability Score Increase: + 1 Charisma
Superior Darkvision: Your darkvision increases to 120 feet.
Sunlight Sensitivity: You suffer Disadvantage on attack rolls and on sight-based Perception checks made whilst you or the object of your attention is in direct sunlight.
Gloaming Hexes: You can cast the Eldritch Blast cantrip. At 3rd level, you can cast Unseen Servant once per long rest. At 5th level, you can cast Spider Climb on yourself once per long rest. Spells cast with this trait use Charisma as their spellcasting ability score. However, you cannot use spells granted by this trait if you are in direct sunlight.

Ranger is obvious choice
if dwarves made them then give them bonus for fighters too

also id suggest trying to make them not just bows with a different ammo type

Mul
Though many dwarven clans are uncertain of the prospect of intermarrying with humans, such unions can bear fruit. Sadly, most of the mulzhennedar are born into slavery, the result of long-lived tyrants forcing humans and dwarves together to breed a heartier, more valuable slave-stock.
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Constitution, +1 Strength
Vision: Normal
Tireless: A mul ignores the first level of Exhaustion it suffers, and regains two levels of Exhaustion when it completes a long rest.
Limitless Endurance: A mul increases its hit point maximum by 1 point and further increases it by +1 point each time it gains a level.
Dwarven Vitality: A mul has Advantage on saving throws against Poison and Resistance to Poison damage.

What's the best IP conversion to 5e, or best 5e based spinoff you've seen (similar to pathfinder vs 3.5)?

Half-Gnome
With their inquisitive and friendly natures, it should be no surprise that trysts between humans and gnomes aren't unheard of. When such unions bear fruit, it's often quite a surprise to the gnomish parent, but most gnomes will welcome their halfbreed offspring, giving half-gnomes a surprisingly hospitable upbringing. Gnomish ingenuity and human adaptability proves quite the effective combination, as it turns out.

Ability Score Modifiers: +1 Intelligence, +1 Dexterity, +1 to one ability score of your choice
Size: Small
Movement: 30 feet
Humanoid Build: You are treated as being a Medium creature to determine your capacity to lift, push, pull, drag and carry loads.
Works the Angles: You can use an Intelligence check to determine your Initiative, instead of using a Dexterity check.
Jack of All Trades: When you are called upon to make a skill check you do not have Proficiency in, you can grant yourself Advantage on that check. After you use this trait, you must complete a long rest before you use it again.

What kind of properties would an adamantine golem have?
Immunity to critical hits is a given but what else?

Yeah, I think Rangers are going to have to have it, but how would you suggest making them not just crossbows?

It's all of the 4e Swordmage archetypes rolled into one. You can literally hang back and teleport strike everywhere like Noctis. Even if you never use any of the melee capabilities it has one of the easiest and strongest spell damage mods.

>but what else?
mundane weapons

Adventures in Middle-earth

I want to include a villain similar to The Beast from Over the Garden Wall. Some sort of creature that stalks the woods or swamps that feeds off of wayward souls and tries to strike bargains that will lead to his nefarious ends. Is there any creature that's super appropriate? I was thinking Oni but I'm not sure it's a good fit.

>Should any classes have proficiency by default?
I'd call them simple weapons. A musket isn't any harder to operate than a crossbow.

>I was thinking the ability to craft ammo for cheaper
That should be a tool proficiency.

>an expanded crit range or extra crit damage
I wouldn't, they already have sharpshooter.

>the ability to switch between pistols quickly so if you have multiple loaded pistols you can get a large volley off once per encounter.
That doesn't really seem like a feat, more like a class feature.

Remember, going by RAW there is no way to remove the loading property for such weapons, so they are not going to be useful for characters with the extra attack class feature. You could give them a !xbow xpert but then you've just made crossbows and bows obsolete. By injecting them as they are they are useful to weapon-using classes like rogues who do not have extra attacks without forcing fighters to use them as well.

a hag (male)

Goin tempest cleric, thanks for the input!

higher armor penetration maybe?
maybe apply some sort of crowd control on enemy?
or have them have higher range
or higher accurracy

id pick one or two of these

a corrupted ent maybe?

like a large walking swamp tree

you could tie its origins to some other storyline that way

I'm packing a longsword (+shield), whip, and heavy crossbow. Is that enough?

Good luck in your adventures OP, may riveting tales and heroic deeds come from them!

What's the best Barbarian archetype?

Totem Warrior. Bear totem gives resistance to everything but psychic damage while raging.

bear. beserker seems real redundant since your gonna gun for gwm usually anyway.

If your Dex isn't great, go with handaxes or javelins instead of the crossbow. Maybe pick up a bludgeoning option, warhammer or flail or something.

Totem warrior, take bear totem, grab a shield, take shield master feat become fucking invincible.

Why does everyone hate on homebrew stuff when a large portion of Official content and lore is just canonised homebrew from older generations?

For the same reason many UAs get hate: redundancy and shitty balance.

because most homebrewers have no fucking idea what they are doing, there was one a day or two ago where they had a homebrew class that, at level ONE, could do 5d10 damage.

Also magical realms

Because most hombrew is trash and the creators of the homebrew either don't try to balance it vs existing options or don't actually want to.

The heavy crossbow has some sentimental value as a trophy of battle from very early on, but the dex is only 12. I'll have to mull this over.

Flails are cooler than warhammers, gonna roll with that if I get a chance to go shopping soon.

>don't actually want to.
ESPECIALLY this. Anytime you try to tell them something needs to be toned down they get all fucking defensive and make excuse after excuse on why it's "fine"

For a dex character, where the hell is the incentive NOT to dual wield shortswords? Why would anyobe forfeit an extra attack per turn to keep their hand free when they could easily just drop a weapon if they needed to?

I'm going to be playing dnd for the first time this weekend and, together with my dm, i've picked a half elf red dragon sorcerer. While filling up my sheet i noticed that my starting equipment offers the choice of an arcane focus or a component pouch, which basically do the same thing. Can i just have the focus be a pair of bracers so i can still shoot fire while making pretend pistols with my hands? I'm assuming the focus has to be on my arms so a necklace with a crystal won't work.
I'm also worried that if i try to secretly cast something in a social setting to help us it'll look really obvious if i'm waving a wand around. Instead if i was using bracers i could just distract a potential enemy with a minor illusion by wiggling my fingers behind my back, giving us an opening for a surprise attack.

How do you feel about custom backgrounds for PCs?

It's mostly what my players do, then again they also aren't trying to min max and only get all the best options so there's that.

rapier and shield? You have better things to do with your bonus action?

As long as it is clear that there is no severe mechanical fuckery beyond knowing a few skills/proficiencies. Keep it to the levels of the options in the book is it's fine.

In general I find that players have stories in mind that they don't exactly fit neatly into one particular story.

You can find Arcane Focus on page 151 of your Player's Handbook.

Go ham.

you might as well allow them, as you wont be stopping anything by not allowing them. You can always just take a standard background that grants proficiency in what you already have so you can grab two skills of your choice.

So, you guys don't think it's overpowered? Awesome; I was kind of worried with the two Advantages and the Proficiency and the Prehensile Tail thing.

Anybody got any comment on these? I really want to make sure they're balanced enough I can't just have somebody rock up at the first level and basically go "I win the game".

What are the thoughts on the Storm Herald or Zealot Barbarian?

Why Shield master over GWM?

Some peoples favorite settings are literally sold old ass dudes magical realm.

Hey /5eg/.

My friend is starting a new campaign, and he's went for a sorta weird choice. We're starting at level 7, because he said his last 2 campaigns ended at 6 and he never got to use any fun high level shit.

Give me some fun ideas. Obviously starting at such a level opens up a ton of weird builds that would usually take too long to come online in a regular game.

Unironically, Pact of the Chain warlock. There are a lot of roleplaying opportunities, and the nature of the class is built around having a lot of abilities that you can always use.

While the fighter will struggle to stay relevant once you're out of combat, and the wizard will struggle to stay relevant once he's out of spell slots, you can always find something relevant for your little imp buddy to do.

not those anons but Storm Herald is my favorite Barb thus far, I like that it grants you something thats atypical for barb: Area damage

Can you effectively transition from SKT to RoT?

>Why Shield master over GWM?
Barbarians don't tend to use their bonus actions a ton outside of turning rage on/off. so having the option to throw a dude into the dirt before wailing on him is pretty nice.

Because I'm not worried about how big of numbers I put out in damage, use bonus action to shove for free advantage without having to go reckless (then if it fails go reckless if I want that advantage), also warhammers.

>heavy crossbow has some sentimental value
far be it from me to tell somebody to disregard mechanics for the sake of fluff, but if nothing else, it's gonna frustrate you at higher levels when you have to take another feat to make ranged use of your Extra Attacks, as opposed to volleying javelins at your victims.

>Flails are cooler than warhammers
Fuck yeah they are.

Oath of ancients paladin. Deny your dm of having any fun tossing high level spells at you or your friends.

Also forgot when passing a Dex save can choose to take no damage, which I have advantage on.

So it's strictly one of those 5, i guess a rod wouldn't be so bad. Can i do sneaky stuff like holding the tip while the rest is hidden up my sleeve and still cast spells?

After a drunken night in the tavern, the barmaid accuses your paladin of sexual assault and rape. The paladin admits he drank a little, but recalls nothing. It's her word against nobody elses.

How does your party handle this, and how does the setting handle this?