EDH/ Commander General /edhg/

Previous thread: →

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
How important is hate in your group? How much slots dedicated to hate, is too much?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-karametra-enchantress-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>How important is hate in your group? How much slots dedicated to hate, is too much?
I guess that depends on the definition of 'hate'. We all pack reasonable things where possible- your Disenchant effects, Beast Within, Wraths, some graveyard hate. "Broad" stuff. But I don't think anybody plays cards that are specifically to thunderfuck one strategy or deck, beyond "graveyard", but that's because it's such a common thing that I think basically any deck needs a Relic of Progenitus at minimum.

What are the most fun monocoloured generals?

I already have monoblack (Toshi, might get turned into big mana bloodchief drana eventually), and I'm enjoying it. Figure I might as well have my next decks follow in a logical series.

How do you feel about dedicated hate cards? If the majority of players in your group are running black decks and someone casts Celestial Purge, how would you react?

last time i went to my edh group, one of the guys in my pod brought his girlfriend and gave her his high-powered animar deck to play. he scooped after missing a land drop on turn 5, pulled his chair right behind her, and told her what to play for the rest of the game.

they lost, but that's still kind of a shitty thing to do. guy is already kind of an asshole so that's not helping matters.

would it be a dick move to request not to be placed with that guy again?

Is this a sort of store-level "event", or just your group having fun?

If it's an 'event', next time it happens say "Yeah, you can't give her advice. She's playing, not you." and if it persists, call the TO.

If it's just for fun, say "Fuck no. Go sit back in your god damned chair and let her play." If he doesn't, continue the game without them.

So nim's deathmantle and peregrine drake, is that an infinite with a sac outlet? I only just purchased deathmantle and didnt realize it was another method at infinite mana beside deadeye nav

So i want to make werewolf tribal with ruric tharr as the commander because ulrich sucks but werewolves on their own don't seem like enough to win a game. What are some other wincons/powerful cards to use in gruul for a werewolf deck? Nothing too expensive please i am trying to keep it cheap

It can be, assuming you have 4 mana to pay for the first Deathmantle trigger.

peregrine drake etb untaps 5 mana, a.altar pay 3, sac drake and get 2 mana, and you have 4 mana avaiable to pull off the combo. nice unless i fucked up somewhere

No yeah you're right. For some reason I was thinking the Mantle had to be equipped to the Drake in the first place, that was my fuckup.

dragonlair spider's a good yet cheap card in gruul commander

Make it group slug and win through combat.

Ooh nice forgot about that one. I wanted to run triumph of the horde anyway so the spider is in for sure

>That feel when no Sigarda Voltron GF who sits on your face while calling you a naughty Tribal player

I'll be a boy n do that 2 you

Gross.

>Thread question
Not very. I run the usual suite of removal and Wraths for the colors I play, but I don't build stuff that will buttfuck one player.

Thread question: we usualy have 4 players in my group. Me and one other guy play a good bunch of hate, the third mostly does Johnny tryhard combo or copie stuff but runs not that much hate and allways neglects his mana base. The other one is the timmiest of all Timmys, there is only ramp and big boys in his decks. I'd say there can't be too much hate in a deck if you don't mind beeing the first target on the table.

Also what's your opinion on pic related for multi colored decks ?

>How important is hate in your group? How much slots dedicated to hate, is too much?

When you start getting into a lot of dedicated color hate thats a bit much. When large chunks of your decks are dead cards because someone that you wanted to hatefuck isn't playing, thats probably when you have done too much. If you are talking about just running more graveyard or artifact hate because theres a lot of it in your meta, those cards are never really dead, since I haven't seen an EDH game without some of those.

I have a deck that is specifically dedicated to hating one of my friend's Norin chaos deck, because fuck that noise.

Unless you have something to do with the token, it is just a shit sorcery speed 3 mana kill spell.

It also does some colourfixing. And it's *exile* removal, which can be important.

Should I make Saskia Ball Lightning or Vanilla Creatures?

I prefer pic related.

Patron of the moon, in which the main goal is to kill people with a draft chaff card from Amonkhet. Killing people with it is so satisfying.

What's your wincon?

Mine is getting a bunch of sphinxes out and defending them.

What is a good commander that is fun to play against? I have casual meta while I am more victory driven and I want my friends to have fun while still not goig group hig retarded.

Doesn't matter for my group. My friends get pissy at me no matter what I play.

I counter spells? I become archenemy.
I cast a board wipe? I become archenemy.
I use spot removal? I become archenemy.
I exile graveyards? I become archenemy.
I attack for a lot of damage? I become archenemy.

>kill people with a draft chaff card from Amonkhet
What the fuck card are you talking about

Sweet. I didn't knew that card yet. It's perfect to fuck with Zur players

What colors attract what people?

I think blue attracts turbo autists and "too be fair you have to have a pretty high IQ to understand x" types

tfw my favorite general is Teferi

>thread question
Hate of all kind is important none more so than stuff like sadistic sacrament, bitter ordeal, jester's cap, etc. Building a deck to hate on one deck in particular is also fine especially if they stack which some do or go for the same shit every game.

In multi-coloured decks, it can get a little black.

That said, as a mono-black player, I love it so much.

Say, /edhg/, in mono-blue is this card playable? You can basically turn dead cards into Harrow which is something blue doesn't normally have access to.

If i use this to get a creature back from my graveyard and i sacrifice a creature with persist, will i still get back the creature in my graveyard?

honestly the most fun deck i've ever played is kefnet

you just play kefnet turn 3 and then draw-go, countering everything that threatens you and dumping your remaining mana into drawing cards with kefnet.

you'd think the deck would just be a worse version of thrasios, but kefnet being indestructible is like... really good.

plus being monoblue lets you get more value out of high tide and caged sun.

0-2 Wort, the Raidmother
3-6 Chainer
7-8 Rakdos the Defiler
9 Phage

Know your meta. If someone in my meta played Kor Castigator (where there are no eldrazi at all) for whatever reason, I'd be confused.
If the white player casts Mass Calcify (as he does), I wouldn't bat an eye.
Likewise, we all ran black and the white player decided to run Celestial Purge, my only question would be why he's not shooting for more card advantage with something like Cleanse or Fumigate

yes

It is not that they gang up on me or complain, but I am way more into MTG than they are and put more thought into my decks, so if I'd go all out, I would make the games unfun for them.

I think that is an unfair and a real low-hanging joke. Of course blue attracts turbo-autists, because it is the most versatile color, which allows the largest possibility to brew. Blue can do anything other colors can, while 90% of red cards are burn spells or "goblins".

>

Chainer it is
Sorry I didn't do the greentext, must've triggered your retard button

Is this a Fuse card? Or is it one or the other?

One or other, fuse cards will have the reminder text

It also brings your commander from the command zone if you sacrificed them.

Anything similar to this? I'd be using it to bounce and recast my own stuff for benefit

If blue, Equilibrium and Cowardice

and crystal shard

No blue, unfortunately.

what colors and what are you bouncing?

theres some in white but it gets harder if blue isnt the color. stonecloaker and dust elemental for white

if you're abusing ETB triggers that's one thing, but if you're after cast triggers it's a whole different thing.

what's your plan?

Just repeatable ways to bounce/flicker Saskia in order to choose a new target. I should probably look at white

Mass Calcify isn't really a dedicated hate card. It's like a colorless player using All is Dust or an Artifact player using Scourglass. It's just an asymmetrical card the player knows they'll be on the long end of and other players will usually be on the short end of.

conjurers closet

in that case, flicker stuff is way better than returning to your hand. you've only got three opponents so the max number of times you want to flicker her is like 2, so repeatable stuff isn't all that important.

really good options would be flickerwisp and restoration angel because they're creatures attached to a flicker effect, but you can also play cloudshift.

why do you need it to be repeatable?

You can always come out of the closet.

I like having things be repeatable as opposed to one-and-done

Effects on a stick, I guess

but you only need it like two times. that's a lot of wasted mana, and it's not even really that good.

Hey kid, ya ever get your dick sucked by an eldrazi?

I've built a deck for each monocolor, here's my favorites:
W: Sram, Senior Edificer
U: Teferi, Temporal Archmage
B: Liliana, Defiant Necromancer
R: Zada Hedron Grinder
G: Yeva, Nature's Herald
If you like Stax, Teferi and Lili are fun. If you like drawing cards Zada and Sram are great (or any of them really, fuck I love drawing cards). If you're a Timmy tired of getting board wiped then go Yeva.

you really don't want erratic portal in your saskia deck. it's way too slow for an aggressive deck. flickerwisp and restoration angel should be enough flickering for the entire deck and they're both aggressive creatures.

I look at him, and then I look at erebos or thrasios, and I just can't figure out why I'd want to.

i like him more than erebos because i like monoblue more than monoblack

i like him more than thrasios because he's indestructible and wraths don't affect me at all

So what's the win condition of Teferi? Looking at EDHrec and I don't see what his wincon is.

which teferi?

>not black
>not also the color of money

you had one fucking job

toss in alot of o-ring bodies like fiend hunter or angel of condemnation. protects from wipes and neat tricks with flickers. for reusable stuff, you are barking up the wrong tree

Temporal Archmage

mana rocks and the chain veil, get infinite planeswalker activations for your turn and infinite mana, draw your deck, jtms ult or labman

Teferi is all stax all the time. And the wincon is what said

He often goes infinite with the Chain Veil and draws his whole deck.

How do I infinite mana though?

teach me your secrets user I don't know what stax is. if I post my deck list i cobbled together can you help me?

Stax is misery with a side dish of pain. It's based around resource denial and making things more expensive to play

something something deepglow skate

you do teferi's -1 over and over again on the chain veil and some big mana rocks until he dies, then recast him with all the extra mana you made. chain veil is kinda fucky in how it works so you immediately get all the extra activations of teferi from before added to the "new" one. just keep looping this with teferi dying over and over and eventually you'll have a million mana and a million extra planeswalker activations for the turn. you then use teferi's +1 enough times to draw your deck and cast the wincon of your choice.

My decks are made around hate simply because my playgroup just runs the same decks again and again. I'm currently changing out my swamps to Snow-Covered Swamps just because the Ob-Nixilis landfall deck runs them + Extraplanar Lens.

Say you have The Chain Veil, Gilded Lotus, and Teferi. Activate the chain veil, then -1, untapping the TCV, GL, and two lands. Activate the chain veil again, then -1, doing the same thing. Do this until Teferi runs out of Loyalty and dies.

Now, when you cast Teferi again, all those chain veil activations apply to the new instance of him. He can activate his abilities probably 5 or 6 times, depending on how much loyalty you had to work with earlier. Use his untap ability enough to generate the mana you'll need to cast him next time, then keep doing Chain Veil activations or drawing cards. The next time you cast Teferi, he should be able to activate his abilities like 12 times. It just keeps on going like that.

this guy explained it better than i did, listen to him

Anyone??

i'd rather just run walking atlas and have a good amount of draw unless i was going for some kind of big reanimator thing

Kefnet or Kami for mono blue card draw action

kefnet: indestructible, cheap, good blocker at all stages of the game, can draw multiple cards per turn when you get enough rocks out

kami: cheaper by 1, but helps everyone, only gets you 1 card per turn but does it free

kefnet is probably better in this comparison unless you're actively trying to build group hug

You guys are actually making kefnet sound really awesome.

Fun old cards you've never seen anyone else play.

cause you lose out on the good half of your reanimation targets.

Not like you have a ton of reanimation effects in mono-white or most nonblack white color pairs.

If you have two different creature combos in your graveyard, you can split both of them up and win either way.

You make the piles, so you'll always end up with something desirable.

It ain't bad.

why is heroic intervention so expensive? rotation and fumigate in standard?

I'm trying to help my friend make his budget enchantress deck playable. He're the current list I've come up with for him - any obvious suggestions ($5 or under) or cuts to be made before I send him the list?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-karametra-enchantress-2/

I want to build a creature centric deck but I'm having a hard time choosing between Ezuri, Claw of Progress and Selvala, Heart of the Wilds

You got me excited. I have a foil. 5 bucks isn't expensive.

1-3 Kefnet
4-6 Zada
7-9 Kruphix
0 idk man, maybe a +1/+1 counter commmander?

Any other creatures to keep attacks at bay? This seems good already.

Truly you have been blessed by best god! I hope you like drawing tons of cards and slamming fatties.

wedge and shard gods when