Pauper MtG

Does anyone here play Pauper? I never really see it talked about here. I paid for an mtgo account a few months ago but forgot about it until now. I was able to build a UB control deck for about 3 tix

Other urls found in this thread:

mtg.gamepedia.com/Pauper_Magic#Paper_Pauper
deckstats.net/deck-14289968-32a1ed184388946c59337b5491b63c78.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pauper threads pop up every once in awhile on Veeky Forums

I have a play group who play paper pauper; it's probably my favorite constructed format to play with the endless possibilities of decks to make

What I own:
RG Aggro
Sultai Land Destruction
5 Color
Rebel Tribal
Mono-Black Control

I play a decent amount of pauper, it's a great format. I'm lucky enough to live in a city that runs consistent events for paper pauper, so we have a pretty big community here.

Near the end of my Magic playing days I set up an MtGO account and played a great deal of Pauper. It was fun. Defininetly more so than Standard and most recent limited formats. It was cheap as well, I guess, but that's not really a concern for me.

I eventually lost interest in the format, and the game as a whole, shortly after Drake Combo was banned, however.

was fooling around with domain forever ago, thought about using unearths for value but I have no idea where they would go. Typical win is by tribal flames and bolts to the face once the opponent stabilizes

Let ke guess the only creatures in your deck are 2 gurmag anglers, right? Get raped, aspie scum, people don't have time to waste 45 minuted while you jerk off over edicts and counterspells.

Mulldrifter ban when? No cards comes close to its power. Every deck running blue becomes better with the addition of it. I'd rather have the fucking drake back, than this fishfaced fuck.

4 Anglers
4 Augur of Bolas
3 Mulldrifter
I'm just trying to make the most competitive deck I can to grind events without spending money on mtgo. And what's wrong with interactive decks user? :)

This, fuck control

Dimir control is far from being the most competitive decks. Roughly, I'd say I win more than 70% of games against it, but it always is a long, boring grind. All the games are the same, qnd the deck crumbles after you sideboard against it. If I didn't have youtube or a podcast open, I'd fall asleep around turn 50.

I never understand how to manage mana costs, or how much a card is worth using despite its cost

gee, boy. I'm the proudest owner of a Mono Black no creatures deck. It wins by fist fucking your face with corrupt and other drainlife spells.

Still, I'm planning to go on a decieving route, and filling my Sideboard with 15 agressive creatures for game 2 just for shit and giggles.

I tend to just compare it to plenty of other cards in that same color and cost
if you're looking at creatures, ones that have some kind of effect when they enter the battlefield or die tend to be especially valuable, because even if they're removed they still provided value

if a creature has an ETB effect, check out instants/sorceries that do a similar effect, and see if you think that effect justifies the increased cost
Mulldrifter is a very good example of a powerful card for its cost (and versatility)

Either Delver or Counterspell would be banned before Mulldrifter, since those are played in any U deck and one of them is format warping

Cool, as long as it not a 4-off Angler that dies to removal. Dimir nigga, your counterspells can't save you when I have 7 removal spells in hand!

Delver is easy to deal with (every red deck mainboards electrickery with all the unoriginal faerie decks) and is inconsistent. The ETB effect on mulldrifter makes him a bitch even when he is killer).

Counterspell, even though is a staple, never feels oppressive; baiting out counterspells is not that hard. Basic bluffing.

I've play a bit online. B/w tokens is my favourite deck but I've been fooling around with supernatural stamina/undying evil + rats/mulldrifter. It's not amazing but it gets a lot of scoops.

B U G S
P
I
G
S

I fucking love this deck, want to build it but I'm torn at the 2drop slot between ramp, rocks or rangers, and also torn whether there should be a 1drop (utopia, elf or sakura scout). Would like to hear your thoughts since you've played more sultai than I.

Also, having slotted in 2 Capsize, that card is the fucking nuts and literally fits the deck like a glove, it does everything the deck needs and is practically a wincon on it's own (many scoops were had upon reaching 6 mana)

With it's inclusion, the deck feels like Sultai Capsize-lock

WE WUZ BUGS AND THUGS AND BOARS

Blue sheets guy is my favorite pauper poster

>smart enough to get Ice Age hydroblasts
>10th edition mind stones

opinion discarded

Mono black control is not a thing in pauper anymore

good lad.

>the banning of drake combo got a drake combo player to quit

And nothing of value was lost.

>t. cuck deluxe

>white bordered lightning bolts
way to ruin your entire deck idiot

>Near the end of my Magic playing days
you know where you are right

I wanted Judge ones, but they were too expensive.

>caring about banlist in a casual format

>playing the best constructed format as a casual
>being such a faggot you have to hide your shit skills behind "it's just casual bro"
>having a playgroup so cucked the only way they can have fun is if everyone is shit at the game

>Hey guys, don't mind me, I'm just coming to post in your thread about how I don't play this game. I used to but I just totally lost interest because I've got so much other stuff I'd rather do. Heh, desu, [topical subject] didn't help either, lol. Anyway I'm off to fuck my bisexual supermodel girlfriend and her hot af friend, have fun with your cards.

Calling pauper the best constructed format is pretty funny

I play curse of the bloody tome as my only maindeck wincon because I know it tilts you queers. Even if I stick an angler I'll let the curse just mill people like you.

The only format that even compares is legacy and trading $3000 decks with powerful cards for $40 decks with weaker cards is a pretty even trade.

Hol' up, I can also post shitbrews

we're all going to the zoo, zoo, zoo

to look at the ears, ears, ears.

Sheet game is weak though

What the hell, my picture rotated.

>he doesn't like floral patterns
no more shitbrews.

holy crap an actual pauper thread. ive been wanting to get into this format for a long time but no one at my LGS players it. is it worth getting MTGO for it?

Is infect a viable strategy in pauper?

>but no one at my LGS players it

shouldn't be hard to convince a few to build decks for it, since it's all commons.

It used to be, and you could pull off turn-2 wins if you had decent luck, but the banning of Invigorate hurt it.

I presume it's still viable, but i've never actually played it.

ive tried, the problem is everyone at my LGS plays modern and EDH almost exclusively with the exception of proxy legacy night where sometime an event fires

>modern and EDH

surely then, they must have enough money to cobble together a simple pauper deck or two?

there just isnt any interest in it. all the modern players are the hyper spikes who all want to win GPs and the EDH players are basically there to play a board game but in magic form

Test

This looks like my deck, what the hell.

So whats a good deck for someone who has never played pauper before? i generally play control in other formats

text list please?

I don't even know if there is a true hardcore-control deck like UW.

4 BASKING ROOTWALLA
4 WILD MONGREL
3 MERFOLK LOOTER
1 AQUAMOEBA
1 WATERFRONT BOUNCER
4 ARROGANT WURM
2 GATHAN RAIDERS
2 HOOTING MANDRILLS

2 CAREFUL STUDY
4 DEEP ANALYSIS
2 GUSH
3 VAPOR SNAG
4 CIRCULAR LOGIC
2 DAZE

4 EVOLVING WILDS
2 THORNWOOD FALLS
6 FOREST
10 ISLAND

I don't have cockatrice on this computer (or any of the saved decklists either) but this seems accurate enough.

What do you guys think of Dinrova Tron? Would you take it to a small local tournament?

I just made an MTGO account and I'm assembling my first pauper deck.

Choose and I'll follow: WG Slivers vs. UB Control/Angler

Slivers

slivers are more fun imo

angler is just so common and boring

So Ive never played paper pauper
Do you guys use the same card pool as mtgo? ie no sinkhole? Or is there a different community banned list or something?

there is no paper banlist as WotC refuses to acknowledge that pauper is played in paper. most people just go by the MTGO rules though

i'd presume it's the same as the online rules.

I think i'm the only one in my country with Hymns and Sinkholes anwyay.

Op here, I've been playing UB control online quite a bit since I made the list. It can be had to recover from bad starts vs Deep Hours (most played t1 deck right now). My record is something like 5-3, and I feel like losses are mostly my fault as a pilot. If you have MTGO it's worth trying, the deck is less than the cheapest paper fetch

Nigga, I sideboard Luxa River Shrine. Yes it is shit, but it stop burn. See you in game 3, babe.

My list -

1 Barren Moor
4 Dimir Aqueduct
4 Dismal Backwater
1 Evolving Wilds
6 Island
1 Lonely Sandbar
4 Swamp
1 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Augur of Bolas
3 Chainer's Edict
4 Counterspell
3 Disfigure
2 Doom Blade
3 Forbidden Alchemy
1 Ghastly Demise
4 Gurmag Angler
3 Mulldrifter
4 Preordain
2 Soul Manipulation
1 Tragic Slip

Sideboard:
2 Duress
1 Echoing Decay
1 Nausea
2 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Shrivel
4 Spellstutter Sprite
2 Stormbound Geist
2 Zombie Outlander

post list? ill drop 20 bucks to give it a try

Google, bro.
mtg.gamepedia.com/Pauper_Magic#Paper_Pauper

Paper is better because the card pool is much larger.

We play pauper at our LGS and we use the MTGO rules and banlist.

Mtgo is $10 and you can afford that with your free tix. If you want to upgrade look into hydroblasts. I haven't been playing long enough to know staples off the top of my head, but mtgtop8 is your friend

>curse of the bloody
muh nigga. I knew this card was worth something.

Being at a billion life isn't going to save you from mill.

In my serious version I run it sideboard for control mirrors, but when I lurk around the open play areas with it you your ass I run the shitty asshole version.

My friends and I just got into pauper. They finished up their decks but I'm still messing with mine.
Any pauper cards that are particularly amazing in multilayer?

That's a pretty hard question. All I can think of is that newer cards usually say "each opponent" instead of "target opponent", but can't really help you there.

I'm going to copy this for tomorrow's tournament.

fuck creatures

>extend the online banlist by the following cards
never knew about this. fuck hymn so much, it's my main salt on pauper

Oh I thought you meant the red curse that bad burn players run.

>Pauper
>MtG
Pick one

>those swamps
jesus

post results

I don't understand this post
It's probably my favorite format, along with casual edh

Gib foil swamps

hard blue black control is tier 1

I really like how we post pictures of the lists in these threads

i like seeing the uniqueness of each person's pics.

>tfw no paper version of your brew yet

SadFace

I have posted one, and I have a few other pics saved. However, I'm changing some of the brews as we speak !!!!!!!!!

Check out this shitbrew.

Thoughts on Angler Delver, or general variations of Dimir Delver vs Izzet or monoblue?

I'm basically not seeing Repulse or Exclude in any lists? What happened?

They're among the best decks in the format, capable of pushing out tempo, disrupting your opponent's gameplan, while generating value with a few cards. I'd recommend any and all variations, but I don't like Izzet because the new lists run Skred

What sleeves are those? They look comfy

I think the deck is not fast enough to warrant Carnophage and the Wretched 3/3.

What does Veeky Forums think of this deck
deckstats.net/deck-14289968-32a1ed184388946c59337b5491b63c78.html

No picture, as I am still tuning it before ordering. It does well vs. most meta decks on xmage, except for elves.

Good, but boring.

How would you make the deck faster then? I've seen some lists run Sangrophage, but I think the 2 damage per turn is too much.

I also disagree on Delver decks being boring. Tempo decks have always been a fan favorite, and the cantrips and multiple choices make them a very fun deck to play.

As for your list, how exactly are you planning to win? I have a few suggestions.
Really consider running Green on this deck. You're basically making your mana base worse so you can run Putrid Leech. The Mandrils could be replaced by other delve creatures, so they don't really count.
Replace Evincar's Justice with Pestilence.
Why are you running Distress? Run Wrench Mind instead.
Rend Flesh is very bad, and even Murder is better.
I'd also run Grasp of Darkness instead of Echoing Decay.
Disciple of Tevesh Szat doesn't work with some of the cards in your deck. Like, you'd kill it upong using Justice now Pestilence or Rats.
Finally, you have no way of generating value over time, with recursion cards such as Grim Harvest, nor you have a powerful finisher, like with a big Corrupt or multiple Anglers.