So Veeky Forums, your latest adventuring party has been brought to the horrific waste that is the Night Land...

So Veeky Forums, your latest adventuring party has been brought to the horrific waste that is the Night Land, and must now try to survive. How long do they last?

two seconds, we're all pretty much willing to bail on the other at the drop of a hat. the player group is fine, it's just the way the characters are in the current campaign.

>two seconds, we're all pretty much willing to bail on the other at the drop of a hat.
Is your party actually composed entirely of Skaven, user?

>mfw my player group is fully willing to bail on each other at any time except when they're in a dangerous no-man's land, then even evil characters aren't willing to kill human resources like hirelings unless they're in a pinch
's what happens when you've played AD&D dungeon crawls and learned the hard way that a weakened party is a likely-to-be-TPKed party.

I cast Daylight

>I cast Daylight
HISSSSSSSSSSS.

this be some real randolph carter shit.
what's is it? a setting tg made based on a novel, maybe? looks cool n' neat to be honest.

It's The Night Land, by William Hope Hodgson. In nearly every way, it was Cosmic Horror long before Lovecraft took to the stage.

Its interesting because it ran on the hypothesis that the sun is a big ball of gas gravitating towards eachother and eventually getting too heavy for its own good, in the late 1800's.

Who'd thunk he was mostly right.

Why have there been so many Night Land threads lately? Not that I'm really complaining.

Dang somebody posted this already. Serves me right for not looking at the thread at all

>Why have there been so many Night Land threads lately?
Because Night Land is one of the greatest settings ever designed, and it deserves *faaaaarrr* more love than it gets.

I'm guessing that cover is slightly inaccurate.

The setting is unique but the writing is dry and unnecessarily long

Damn Pac-Man, get some moisturizer!

>I'm guessing that cover is slightly inaccurate.
Only slightly. I wouldn't be surprised at shit like that lurking beyond the Redoubt.

>The setting is unique but the writing is dry and unnecessarily long
Try the Retold version. It cuts down on most of the completely Violet 17th-century style prose.

Depends on the setting.
Just how bad could this Night Land be?

It's a setting where everyone who leaves the fortress has a suicide device to avoid fates worse than death. Also fates that are just baffling and unknowable.

>Just how bad could this Night Land be?
AhahahahahahahahahahahaHahHahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

damn I wish there were a few more than 0 pictures of manshonyaggers. Especially for how prominently they feature in a lot of fan stories.

I'm pissed that there *isnt* more Nigh Land art in-general. There's so little fanart for the setting, it's fucking sad.

Do you think there's a nose castle with an upper lip draw bridge? How about a fishman taking a shit in some bushes?

It's a world of pure chaos and madness beyond the Redoubt, user. For all we know, creatures made out of the fever dreams of the long deceased are running amok out there.

>Try the Retold version.
Would you miss out on any detail?

The only parts of the narrative that are actually altered are X and Nani getting dialogue based on what they were originally written to be doing and the parts where X has to slap the shit out of Nani getting re-worked as more than "maniac woman syndrome." In every aspect an improvement.

It looks like I'm already there irl

Aside from the utterly *absurd* amount of purple prose that made even -Lovecraft- himself balk? No, not really.

You know, John C. Wright is really, really good. I especially liked the Iron Chamber of Memory (which is absolutely mind-bending, when you get to the ACTUAL plot, not the one the book appears to be about) and his review of the Golden Compass.

So this is where GW stole the hrud from.

So like LOTR? Sign me up

lmao, we getting TPKd in about 6 minutes.

What in the fuck is this setting and why have I never heard of it?

Well then, looks like our shit is fucked.

Because it dates back to 1912 and was written in incredibly purple prose even for the time period. It's kind of amazing it's as well known as it is.

tl;dr for the setting, it's millions of years in the future, the sun went out millions of years ago, and for millions of years humanity has survived in only one place- the Great Redoubt. The outside is stalked by bizarre creatures and phenomena that mean inevitable death for any who exit, but still occasionally men set out on quixotic quests into the Night Land. There is some evidence that there is some positive force looking out for mankind, but it is weaker and more subtle than the forces of entropy. Mankind has evolved to a near-perfect state of existence and collapsed back into ignorance countless times, all within the confines of this single megastructure. The only tenuous link to the past is a small number of people with the psychic ability to recall their previous reincarnations.

Also, I think the actual plot of the book is about the souls of star-crossed lovers re-encountering each other across time and True Love Conquering All. I don't know, I've never read it.

We're in a high level, relatively long running Nechronica game, so our characters would probably fit right in...

...with the horrors, that is.

Fucking cool.

Damn, that's a pretty terrifying monster. Look at how big her remaining eye is!

she has the two eyes
are you blind?

Technical she has 4 eyes on the outside, if you don't count the dragon.

the nechronomica lore is very interesting.

>obligatory party of solar's comment

we try to reignite the sun I guess. probably not gonna work considering some of the eldritch shit that exists in the night land is pretty spooky even for my taste but we owe it to sol to try

>It's kind of amazing it's as well known as it is.
I imagine it comes down to two things;

1) Lovecraft and several other authors have hyped up The Night Land as being really good if you can get past the archaic style

2) people reading Hodgson's other more famous works(The House On The Borderland, and his Carnacki stories) and then reading The Night Land because they want to see more of his writing

My dream is to play a Skaven

It was a general consensus among the people of his time.

Add to this that the soul is know and observed to exist and post-mortem suffering is very much an option.

The prevailing mindset of the setting is ultimately bleak as fuck to a degree seldom seen. They know humanity is doomed. The Earth Current, that which powers everything and protects them, is and has been for a long time measurably dying. The Living Shapes are inexorably getting closer, a brief extension given by pic
when a laser shot out of the ground at one and has held it in it's path for thousands of years. But they don't know jack shit about the laser. It could last for millions of years or it could go out tomorrow and then the Shape will continue it's glacial march. And there are the other shapes who have not stopped. The only real question they have is will the North-West Watcher go through the pit/valley in it's way to killing them or will it go around. This will not save them or buy them time as the other Watchers have no obstacles, it's just something to be curious about.

On top of that there is the soul crushing monotony. There is no reason to go out of The Last Redoubt. Everything outside is insanely hostile. All there is left is the static existence inside the walls performing the same shit day in day out, whiling away the time between cradle, grave and rebirth then do it all again for the next few million years until the force field fails, the door gets kicked in and your immortal soul is devoured by unknowable horrors.

Loved that story.

Nightland souls when?

Souls-like inspired by The Night Land when?

Dark Souls setting is very similarly thematically already. It's just a few details off, really.

Well, aside from the Nightland's author's faith which provides some small rays of hope in the bleakness.

Plot is the protagonist, a telepath, starts hearing the mind of a lady who lives in the long forgotten Lesser Redoubt. Their power recently ran out and now every one is getting eaten.
So, armed with his lightsaber buzzsaw, sets off to save her.
Oh, and they are reincarnating soul mates.

These kinds of threads is why I visit Veeky Forums. Started to listen an audio book version, am 50 minutes in and so far this seems just what I needed.

We would probably loom around until we got bored or ran into one of the many horrors than roam the land. We then promptly hop dimensions back home because we have no reason to stick around.

>We then promptly hop dimensions back home because we have no reason to stick around.
>Implying that you would ever be allowed to leave.
The Fun Never Ends.

Veeky Forums is kinda like the Last Redoubt of Veeky Forums, isn't it?

What would be the equivalent of the watchers? I don't really play anymore anything Veeky Forums related or even video games, I just like fiction and theory crafting.

There was lots of cosmic horror before lovecraft, he just managed to make it accessible.

Probably the mods.

Big, timeless and unassailable. Also unknowable with alien motives that can destroy you without reason or remorse.

>Mahou Shoujo Campaign
We could handel anything up to a Silent One, easily. Silent One's themselves would probably be an issue.
However we've got some impressive artifacts on us. Including a Not! Silver Millenium Crystal and more.
Assuming we don't run afoul of a Watcher, given enough time and an explanation on where we are and why the sun is gone, we could very well make earth safe and fully habitable again.
Course this could/would be decades down the track.

Maybe, in a centuries time, even see the sun once again light up the world.

>Maybe, in a centuries time, even see the sun once again light up the world.
Fairly certain that the sun was literally *eaten* by the darkness, so I'm ight be a tad bit difficult other restore it. Also, Earth isn't the only place being assaulted by evil. The entire *universe* has been mostly consumed by the Powers Of Night, so saving Earth would likely just delay the inevitable for a little while longer. But despite all of that, I fully believe that if anyone can make a difference in Night Land, it's a group of Magical Girls.

>just delay the inevitable for a little while longer
That's what life is all about.

Take a Halloween gif.

A Halloween gift. F*** autocorrect.

/k/ sends its regards

>Mahou Shoujo Campaign
What system?

Make a new sun, and some new universe.

Thanks Tom.

Tolkien was writing like an Oxford professor trying to do epic prose.
Night Land is written to try and sound like some high-as-fuck decadent fop from the 17th century wrote it as his memoirs.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
I thought I was okay with the Souls series being over.
It's no longer okay.

No he was trying to make it sound like the KJ Bible and failing badly.

Ah! So there's both a free version, and a paid version.
I'll assume that the 'professional' version is the one that added some dialogue and removed the 'hysteria-curing', while this is just a prose cleanup? Either way, thanks a lot!

Thanks m8. You deserve those dubs.

The Abyssal Exalted feels right at home, the Solars immediately begin REEEEEing. But, I mean, the setting basically becomes their bitch because of the difference in general powerlevels.

The D&D party, on the other hand, is less well equipped to deal with things. That said, being able to craft magic items could be a real boon, and if we can get some kinda perpetual motion engine going via wizard bullshit, we could offset the end of humanity by a long time.

From is making a new Dark Souls game literally right now.

It just isn't going to be called Dark Souls.

>But, I mean, the setting basically becomes their bitch because of the difference in general powerlevels.
Not.....really? Exalts were *specifically* designed to murder the Primordial, their servants, and the occasional aberration from the Wyld. Most of the things infesting the Outside in Night Land would be utter OCP's to most Exalts, and I wouldn't be surprised if most of them end up ensnared by the House Of Silence and end up getting Destroyed.

Nah, the Powers are really pretty close to the standard sort of abyssal horror that Solars are equipped to handle.

House of Silence is blatant UMI, which almost every exalt ever will have at least a significant level of resistance to.

I'm playing Van Helsing in our hunter team,a guy with tons of occult knowledge and benedictions, so he has a decent chance to last a bit there.

Hopefully it's like Dark Souls 1 and 2 instead of sucking at being Bloodborne again

I don't really care what it is as long as the invasion system from 3 is preserved as much as possible, because Dark Souls 3 is basically just invasion and boss fights.

I'd like to say these cunts would last at least a day. They pretty much all glass cannons though so anything that can out burst them is gonna wipe them all out.

>who stole my pizza cutter!

I run a Delta Green group.

>The archeologist will probably try to study things and encounter a fate worse than death.
>The doctor will probably kill himself.
>The FBI agent will probably autistically find his sister and encounter a fate worse than death.
>And the Marine will die trying to fight something.

great for taking on abhumans and monsters, less luck against Powers and evil influences.

The problem with porting over things from one setting to another, and especially in the Night Land is that enemies and situations in this setting have specific counters which would require in-universe knowledge.

A more workable situation would be putting characters into the valley during the Days of Darkening, when humans are still constructing the Redoubt in a perpetual sunset and evil has only begun to crawl out of the shadow-lands.

>So Veeky Forums, your latest adventuring party has been brought to the horrific waste that is the Night Land, and must now try to survive. How long do they last?

An army of ten thousand men get rekt almost immediately and need an actual miracle from an actual god to save their souls.

A band of five hundred men mostly get ignored but aggro some giants and eventually get pulled into a psychic deathtrap.

One lone jackass can go wherever he wants and only has to fight off some beastmen from time to time.

Our last party was smart enough to keep their heads down, so we'd be fine. Supplies would be the bigger problem.

I've never read these books but I'm running a game in a setting that is almost exactly like this

What is the Night Land? That doesn't seem so bad. It just has a spooky name is all.

I feel like it would get siege laid to it. We would colonize that shit!

What are some of the creatures in the Night Land and what can they do? Why not also light a bunch of torches or make lots of really bright lights and shine them to back them off!

What is OCP?

>What is the Night Land? That doesn't seem so bad. It just has a spooky name is all.

: >AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Some of the most notable monsters in the Night Land are the Watchers (pic related), horizon-spanning monstrosities whose mere movements can be measured in *centuries*, and who will inevitably destroy the Great Redoubt eventually. There's also shit like the Pneumavores (Soul-Eaters), such as the House of Silence and the like, who can utterly Destroy souls, which constitutes a fate worse than death.