Anyone playing or has played Talislanta in the past? What did you think of it?

Anyone playing or has played Talislanta in the past? What did you think of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

futurolog.wordpress.com/2017/09/27/preview-of-talislanta-the-savage-land/
futurolog.wordpress.com/2017/09/04/talislanta-book-covers/
futurolog.wordpress.com/2017/09/16/gallery-of-french-talislanta-art/
talislanta-the-savage-land.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bumping for interest

There's a new book for it coming out, called The Savage Land. Looks fairly good from the preview here:

futurolog.wordpress.com/2017/09/27/preview-of-talislanta-the-savage-land/

I like the art.
On a scale of 1-10, 1 being Candyland and 10 being Pathfinder/FATAL - how hard is it to learn/teach new players? What are it's advantages over OSR?

>I like the art
You better start sharing some then, user

There's a small library of cover art here:
futurolog.wordpress.com/2017/09/04/talislanta-book-covers/

plus some french illustrations here:
futurolog.wordpress.com/2017/09/16/gallery-of-french-talislanta-art/

Depends on the edition, but in general it's got medium-low crunch and is quite easy for new players to pick up. The exception being that the 4th/5th edition magic system is modular and requires quite a lot of building on the part of any player playing a magic-user.

You can still buy this kickstarted book via backerkit, btw.

talislanta-the-savage-land.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

>Call a Rabbit a Smeerp: the Game

I have not played it, but it does look cool. It reminds me of Morrowind a lot, where it has a very different look and mood to the typical European/Tolkienesque fantasy. I imagine it would be pretty fun to play in.

currently working on a game that's based around the core rules. If I had a reliable group I'd love to play a session or six sadly Im not that lucky.
Also, if any user with a love of the game is out there with a server handy, the guys on the facebook page are looking for one as they need to migrate hosts or something. Which sucks as all the books are on the site for free and itd be criminal to lose such a great resource.

Which core rules?

And don't worry, they found a new server. Plus all the free PDF books are in a different, more permanent place.

Probably a 4 out of 10 on ease of play.

Compared to OSR it's far simpler, less rigid in classes and races, magic system closer to Ars Magica than anything D&D and one of the most creative settings ever devised. Recommended to at least check it...the books are all free.

4th as that's the physical copy I have though the end product will deviate far from the source in some regards.

Ooh. That sounds intriguing. I'm a big fan of non-Vancian magic systems.

SAGE

Which edition should I look at, Veeky Forums?

Oldbeards prefer 2e, it is most accessible according to some but lacks the do-it-yourself magic.
4e introduces the modular magic and is the other mainstay.
5e is 4e with more elaborate character generation, if the archetypes not satisfy you, but you don't want to just wing making new ones.
I personally would suggest 4e, big blue book to most people.

Thanks user.
Would it be suitable for a first-time GM?

Don't see why not.
This here is mostly the beating heart of it.