One Thousand and One Nights

Art, setting ideas, and quest ideas pertaining to a setting based on Arabian Nights

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/18350298/
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/49940009/
hariragat.blogspot.com.br/search?q=sinbad
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First, check out D&D's Al Qadim- even if you aren't running D&D. Great stuff there.

After that... well I don't have a whole lot as such Near Eastern stuff is usually just "the south/east" and receives little additional detail in most other settings.

Wizards who run into the middle of a crowded market square and cast fireball on themselves.

Tell one racist story about your wife cheating on you, and then tell it again over and over? That should about cover it

>Arabian folklore
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/18350298/

>Sikh, Berber, Bedouin and Pashtun people
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/49940009/

hariragat.blogspot.com.br/search?q=sinbad

thank you. this is so helpful.

ill check it out

Some user posted this the other day.

Man I love AN settings, they're so fucking easy to run.

Al-Qadim, all the way

I played a similar character in an evil FR campaign. He was a young nobleman who converted to Kossuth when his caravan was attacked and he survived after seeing a vision in the flames.

He became a Black Flame Zealot who was utterly devoted to the idea of Kossuth's priesthood taking rule of Thay away from the Red Wizards.

The rest of the party consisted of a Cleric of Koussuth (that my character saw as his Emir) and a Thayan Necromancer and his Gnoll Barbarian slave-bodyguard.

Our quests involved us trying to one up one another and pursue our own agendas. It all culminated in my character strapping a bunch of alchemist fires to himself and performing a death attack on the Necromancer.

Scheherazade needs to be an NPC that sees all the shit you do and makes mental notes on it for later.

...or as an NPC that continuously places the players in a good light to the general public once they do something for her but ruin their local reputation in the process.

Hell, even having her playable as a rebelling harlot running from an arranged marriage might be a fun twist. Have her actually LIVE a few of the tales that she tells her husband, only to distance her involvement in them due to unbelievability.

bump

Go read the real thing, stuff like the island were everybody was turned into stione or anything an eftit does can work very well on the table.

Cant have Not!Arabia without badass Not!40Thieves or Not!Hashashin

Remember MYFAROG is the best system for such a setting.

But y tho?

Speaking of, what would be some good ways to include Hashashin-influenced groups in a fantasy setting without them being straight copies? Preferably not turning them into AC-clones or the desert branch of your generic assassins guild.

Run it with the roles reversed and with kid storytellers. Absolutely Halal

Hmm.
Well, traits of the Hashashin I can think of:
-Religious
-Indoctrinated through drugs and sex
-Not always allied with their rulers in the war; an independent group with their own agenda.

It's a pretty simple set of traits that can be played around with; plus, extra traits they didn't have can be added on to that (signature weapon/killing style, for example).

Just finished a desert campaign. Djinn, giant scorpions, weretigers, flying carpets, exotic marketplaces with magical wares. The players loved it.

Prince of Persia concept art is a gold mine for ideas.

A friend of mine actually used some of those pictures to run a short (3 session) game in ancient Israel, in the court of King Solomon. Let's face it, these people all looked the same.

>Semites look like Semites
Really?

If this is bait, good job, if it isn't, you're an idiot.

Just look at the cultural and artistic differences between Mesopotamia, Syria, and Egypt. It's staggering that they all lived in somewhat the same area.

Let me guess... American education?

>compares Semites to Arabs to Egyptians
>accuses other people of being uneducated idiots

Kek is displeased, user

>dismisses comparison to distinct middle eastern cultures without saying why
>it was a response to user saying they're all the same

It's similar to comparing Athenians to Phoenicians to Trojans. It's not exactly insane considering they were all influenced by Hellenisation.

You'd be mad if you said something like
> Let's face it, these people all looked the same.

Look for some old Sinbad the sailor movies, from the black and white cinema era, plenty of good cheesy adventures to pull out of all that.

They're Persian and Oriental stories, not Arabic.

>filename
Delicious.

Nobody cares, dingus

I know, right?

There's nothing like making an argument, insulting someone's intelligence, and making a stupid typo somewhere. It's almost a trope.

Yo, OP:
Make sure you don't have a ranger with desert set as their preferred terrain. The survival horror aspect you might want to toy with evaporates instantly.

>not having an older, experienced PC warrior to guide the heroes through the hellish desert
It's like you've never even seen or read these kinds of adventures.

Pretty sure they mean because the 5e ranger gets class features that make whatever their terrain is totally trivial, survival-wise. "You gather enough food and water for 5 people", basically. Puts a damper on the scarcity angle.

Well yeah, but make them a DMPC with potential of being evil and betraying the party. Just be certain that your PCs aren't the ones that can detect a watering hole from 40 miles out and never lose their sense of direction. It gets boring.