Lord of the Rings SBG

Has anyone ever played this game? I started collecting some miniatures for it around 2007/2008 when I was 12 but I've never encountered someone to play the game with. Not even at my local GW store was that a game popular. All the people there played Warhammer and 40k.

I eventually tried to get the neighborhood kid into it, but the retard bought some Spehs Mureens instead.

I wonder now, is this game dead? Was it ever alive? Was it never not dead? And what's up with this Hobbit shit? Why had they to make a sepparate game from the first one and not bundle it together and call it Battle for Middle Earth or something?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XsqUOtfhco4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There's a few players around Australia at least, and a pretty active tournament scene.

It's certainly nowhere near the level of popularity of 40k, or even games like Malifaux or Warmahordes, but it's not dead.

There's been a few rules changes, but essentially the Hobbit is the same game as LotR. It's essentially a new edition of the same game.
As for why it's called the Hobbit, I assume it's to do with wanting to tie in to the shitty movies they made a while back. It might even be part of whatever licencing agreement they made.

No but go to Australia and New Zealand to find people that play it
Yep their use of the LotR title expired so it became hobbit

There are some players in my area, with regular campaigns, leagues, and events. It's not as popular as 40k, but it is more widely known than the Infinity/Warmachine/etc type games.
>Was it ever alive?
Oh boy, you weren't here at the time of the movies, SBG was extremely popular then, the models were sold literally everywhere, and it get a ton of people to play tabletop games. We have few official data from that era, but i guess it was more popular than 40k/fantasy at it's peak. The profit from LoTR helped GW to grow into the big corporation they are today.
>What went wrong?
The movies now are more than a decade old, and the playerbase melted down. It didn't helped, that GW treated the game worse than the other two, seeing it as a gateway to their cashcow systems. They also hiked up the prices during the years, bringing them in line with the 40k costs. They neglected the rules, took it years for them to make a FAQ, they ceased White Dwarf coverage, etc.
>Hobbit
After years of fucking up SBG, Gw had a chance to save some grace, and they fucked it up. The ironic part is, that IMO this fail should be blamed on Jackson for the different aesthetics of the movies, which made them less appealing to the fans of the original designs, and led to fewer sold models. But apart from that, GW did nothing to compensate that.
>No hype. At the time of the LoTRfilms, they had a fucking tv advert, the posters were in every store, they had events, articles, advertised it outside of GW mediums, etc. With the Hobbit, they made no efforts to let the people know about the game.
>Prices. They doubled their efforts at price hiking. The models costed 2-3 times as much as they used to be.
>Gw did nothing, outside of releasing the stuff. No articles, no battle reports, nothing. A flick in White Dwarf about new stuff being released, and that's all.

TL:DR Not dead, but number of players waries wildly between areas.

It's half alive.

Based FW keeps it alive. I hope you like your trolls BIG.

Scan anyone?

Depends on the area but in the UK it's still very big. Also worth noting that as Forge World is still coming out with regular releases and oop models are being brought back. Battle companies is due out in the autumn as is a new rulebook. Also the current range has been getting discounted as Lake Town guard and militia have just recently been repackaged with 1/3 knocked off their price.

Honestly the best fucking game GW ever came up with.
So much i didn't even know it was from GW when i started collecting the models. Never actually played because I was only a kid when it first came out in 2003-2005 IIRC but this game's goblins where the first models i painted.
Too bad the Hobbit game is completely fucking trash compared to the based Return of the King edition. I still have the rulebook here somewhere and it's fucking kino

Seconds that.
I have nearly all of the pdfs for this game, except some WD articles and this book, I hope sooner or later somebody will scan it.

>Honestly the best fucking game GW ever came up with.
This 1000 times. I have tried a lot of wargames, but none of them matches the quality of the LoTR SBG. It's a great system, and the core rules are still the same as they were in 2001. A true masterpiece.

>i guess it was more popular than 40k/fantasy at it's peak
Yeah nah.

The game is being held together by its small but dedicated fanbase and occasionally receives something from Forge World. I'm legit surprised it has lasted this long.

I played since Fellowship of the Ring was coming out. It was really great until my local Games Workshop closed down and then my other local game store did too. I was a big fan, honestly. It was better than Fantasy and 40k.

I would like to get some of the Forge World dwarves from The Hobbit garbage movies since they were some of the only good things but I wouldn't have anyone to play with and that's depressing.

the game dwarfed fantasy and 40k at it's peak you mong. and it has it's own dedicated team at forge world which has just taken on more staff. it's growing big time.

what part of the world are you in user?

Well, LoTR wargaming existed before GW, and will exist for a long time after they cease their support. (If it ever happens) And due to the fact, that there were a shitton lot of models sold when the game was on it's golden age, it's easy to find second hand stuff for cheap. The basic plastics are selling for chips on ebay.
> I'm legit surprised it has lasted this long.
I think it will keep going for quite a long time. GW keeps renewing their license rights (so no one else can produce LOTR wargames) and while they have it, they will continue to sell stuff.
Also, if someone had told me a couple years back, that LOTR will outlast Wrhammer Fantasy, i would not believed him.

US. NC.

Lots of people in the UK play the SBG.

have a look on facebook for groups, there's one called dc hobbit league and there's usually branches to different parts of the country.

This post made me really sad dude, sorry your game isn't in it's golden age anymore. I hate to break it to you but there is no way in hell it was ever bigger than 40k. I could see it maybe being on par with whfb at some point however though.

user, please don't embarass yourself. we all know 40k is the be all and end all for plebs, but the fact remains at the peak of the movies the lotr range was selling so fast gw couldn't keep up with the demand. even the de agostini magazine was an instant sell out. 40k was down the chain back then.

Sorry user, I disagree. is kinda right. Unfortunately, we don't have anything to back it up, as GW didn't really made (or published...) market researches from that time, but it's true that LoTR was a bigger thing than 40k. The LoTR stuff was all over the place, it could be bought in all modell shops, and it found it's way to toy shops as well, while 40k could only be found in wargame shops. LoTR had a tv commercial, 40k didn't, LoTR had it's own dedicated magazine, apart form WD, 40k didn't.
Without the exact data on the sales, we can only speculate about the relative popularity, but LoTR also meant a refreshment for the playerbase. In that era, 40k was played by sweaty neckbeards, hiding in basements, but the audience for LoTR was mostly new guys, relatively normal people, who got caught on the movies and hype, and it made tabletop wargaming a more 'mainstream' thing than it was before.

>Was it ever alive? Was it never not dead?
Yes, it was one of best fantasy skirmishes, untill GW killed it War of the Ring
>Hobbit

At my local GW store there was a month long series of one staff member bringing it back. Had some really good games, then two of the people who were regulars didn't turn up for the week, and it stopped. Shame. I enjoyed my Haradrim elite army...

War of the Ring was not that bad, user. There were a ton of broken stuff (Aragorn+Gimli combo anyone?), and special rules bloat, but the base rules were good. IMO it was a better formation based game than WHFB, Despite the skirmish version being my eternal favourite, I pretty much enjoyed it.
Pic related, my Uruk hai force assembled for War of the Ring.

>War of the Ring was not that bad, user.
It's fucked up original idea and spirit of the game.
>IMO it was a better formation based game than WHFB,
Nah, game-wise it was too poorly and empty for massive battles, it could be nice for Epic-Warmaster games.

Nice user. The thing that really killed wotr was the price more than anything. going from a cheap skirmish to mass battle was a bit of a shock to they system. especially if you needed to build elites like black numenoreans or high elf spearmen.

While the Hobbit was stupidly overly heroed, and poorly launched, I did like the improvements to Magic. Being able to make Boromir kill Faramir due to Faramir going crazy and attacking his brother was glorious. Or having black dart do D3 damage when fighting Elf heroes.

The original idea was to speed up the massive battles. SBG is best with around 30-50 models per side, any game with armies of 70+ models will slow down, and if you amass hundreds of minis for a multiplayer battle with your friends, you should stack up on snack and soda, and prepare to spend your weekend with the game.
It was a valid demand, and it was promising at the start. It can be argued, that they should have sticked to the sbg rules more strictly, instead of creating a new game, but it was not that terrible for an idea. If they keep it simple, like SBG, and doesn't go wild with special rules, it could have been a better game.
Also, is right. It's a real pain to fill up 4+ companies with models, that are sold in 3 packs. They should've kept the scale smaller,

Yeah, the changes to magic was pretty good. 5+ chanelled fury is a bit OP, but the others are okay. The weapon special strikes and the monster rules are not that good IMO, they are hopefully going to be revorked in the new edition.

> WotR rereleased in 10mm scale
> All factions represented

Any demand for this? I'd love to kickstart something like this and have spent an inordinate amount of time homebrewing.

GW already did that with Battle of the five armies a fair few years back. I don't think 10mm was that popular as it didn't last long.

>The original idea was to speed up the massive battles
And it was shit.
>but it was not that terrible for an idea
Nice try redshirt, but it was.

haven't you got the aos or 40k general to troll you little fuck?

Where exactly I was trolling here?

It would be nice, the game would work better than in 28mm.
there were an attempt at 10mm, like said, but it was based on Warmaster, and it received minimal support,

>redshirt
>stating opinion about a game, which was abandoned by GW years ago.

Do (you) think it qualify as shitposting, or you are just lacking the sanity required to understand what you read?

>Hurr durr it's shit, because I said so.

Care to explain, or you are just a bored little troll, in which case please fuck off.

>>stating opinion about milking players and giving them nothing for "muh premium qualities"
>Care to explain,
I am already explained here >Nah, game-wise it was too poorly and empty for massive battles, it could be nice for Epic-Warmaster games.

Where did I stood up exactly for "milking players" and "muh premium qualities"? Just to make it clear: I dislike GW's business policy, as much as you do. They also tend to mess up great opportunities too.
>Nah, game-wise it was too poorly and empty for massive battles, it could be nice for Epic-Warmaster games
Well, okay. then is a good idea.

How did Gondor and Rohan play?
Did all that plate armor on Gondor soldiers help?

Were the horselord Anglo saxons fun?

They are not bad. The power gap between armies is not that wide as in 40k, so most of the armies are viable in the game, but the Hobbit brought some power creep. Both gondor and rohan are old armies, so they were on the recieving end of it.
The armour on the gondorians is actually good. Most of the enemyes used to wound them on sixes, but the increased number of strength 4 warriors hurt them badly. Their big advantage is their cheap heroes. If you lead your warbands with minor characters like Beregond/Damrod/Denethor you can horde up your army quite a bit. Your high number and good defence means that you are not removed easily from the table. They lack S4, or multi attack units, so they have to rely on great heroes/cavalry/numbers to do the killing.

On the other hand, rohan has pretty much average defence, and they don't have acces to spear support, so you can't really fight in shieldwalls. They have throwing spears, and all of their riders can bear bows, so they can pepper the enemy with numerous arrows before the lines clash. Their basic cavalry is fragile, but cheap, and they have some good elite units. (Sons of eorl are the best cavalry in the game.) A well timed charge can be devastating, but cavalry is quite a glass cannon in the game. They also have acces to cheap and strong infantry to bolster the numbers if needed, but their heroes are pretty mediocre.

Rohan also has scary as fuck infantry in the form of Sons of Eorl. Hit hard with alot of attacks.

Rohan i remembered had pretty average infantry but fucking awesome chavalry. Their armor is usually not as good as gondor, but they pack a serious punch for their point cost.
They also had horse archers

Doubt someone will scan it, but had to ask.

Yeah, These guys hit like hell. They are on the same level as the captains of other forces.

Rohan infantry can shield since they got no proper spears, while cav or elite troops can punch a hole or flank the enemy.

Don't give up user, they reprinted this book 3 times, such was the demand. Sooner or later, one of them will get scanned.
>tfw i kept looking for the journeybooks for ages. Thanks to the guy who scanned them.

Valid tactic. Rohan can also outshoot many armies, and it can help to weaken them before the charge.
Also, screw the hobbit edition with the move-and-shoot penalty for throwing spears, they hardly worth their points now.

"Build me an army worthy of Mordor"

At your command.

Not enough orcs/10

This is more than the half of the required evil side for the original last alliance scenario.

I use forever painting a single warband, but 240 orcs? Fuck me. Imagine the price for those back when they were all metal.

tfw no tolkien loremaster friends to play comfy lotr sbg scenarios with.

Same here user. I would shake the hand of the madmen who played it at that time. Even with the old plastic kits, it would take 10 boxes to field that army.
Also, on this pic, the orcs (18*8=144 if i count correctly) take up half of a realm of battle tile, so 240 orcs mould cover a nearly twice big area, nearly 1/6th of a 6*4 feet table.(or 1/4 on a 4*4)

I feel sorry four you, user.

Fantasy was the main bread winner until LotR, which took the top spot by quite a margin until 2007 or so, when 40k became the top dog, and LotR nosedived as they tried to push the War of the Ring system.

You can easily find the reports for those years, so stop being an idiot.

It's not whether it was bad or not, it's that going from a skirmishy system to a full blown infantry blocks system went against the core of the game, and what appealed many of its players.

My hope is that in the upcoming Middle Earth rulebook they will remove the penalizers for throwing spears and knives, since moving and throwing is their very purpose.

So what are people working on at the moment? Just put together 24 lake town guard on custom bases (fuck finecast) and just finished the howdah for my great beast of gorgorth. just the orcs to go.

Multiple stuff
>Assembling rohan infantry
>Repainting the fellowship with display base
>Making uruk hai swords from plasticcard

Finished repairing the riders yesterday

Nice. I remember that Balin's Tomb base. That magazine was still one of the best things GW ever did in my opinion. Have a completed Easterling army in return.

I'm on a long break, but I might paint some dwarf stuff again soon.

I made some lake town out of corsairs of umbar, because I had some laying around. Used some Rohan warrior axes too and a bit of greenstuff.

Much cheaper.

That horse leg that goes into the base is super weak, it bends and breaks so easily.

Oh fuck, I ment militia.

this thread just inspired me to pull out some osgiliath vets I never finished

I rarely ever played this game but it was always comfy as fuck

grand, inspiration is good. try and get a few games in and remind yourself GW does actually have good rules on occasion.

comfy indeed

Wow, user, that's a really beautiful army. Wish I could paint that well. More pics?

Anyone use none GW stuff?

unreleasedminiatures.eu has some nice stuff. GW never made SoE on foot, they did thankfully.

Much appreciated user. I have a couple more.

Yeah, those legs are a pain indeed. I had to pin, glue, or resculpt nearly all of them. It's the curse of second hand stuff. also, pic related quality painting.
>THIN YOUR PAINTS!

been meaning to try them. But their prices are eyewatering even compared to GW.

They are really nice. I love the colour scheme too.
My painting usually look like pic related.

that's not so much thin your paints as stop dunking the fucking models

Yikes, someone has been in Shelobs lair it seems.

Prices are high yeah, but unless you're a top sculptor or converter it's almost worth it.

Nice alternative scheme, so used to seeing them red.

thank you. what's wrong with yours though? they're grimy and dirty looking, just as they should be. and i appreciate how their skin is almost coal black rather than the reddy brown that's always seen. you should feel good about those.

I'm from NZ and have a huge collection, mostly of Isenguard Uruks and Mordor Orks and Haradrim. Also I own one of the original Anduril from the movie and Aragorn's knife.

Also, working on restoring some uruk hai. Their pikes are comparable to the horse legs, I had to replace/straighten most of them

At least they can be stripped well.
>r8 this masterpiece

Thanks. I always worry, that they doesn't look good from a distance. I fear that they look like black blobs on the tabletop.

well at least most of the paint is vaguely in the right place. But do Bloom a favour user and give him a make over.

Nice sword user.

they're minis user. even the best painted are going to look like an indiscriminate blob from half a foot away.

Don't worry, tomorrow he hits the stripping jar. It's full of orcs atm.

Inb4 Manflesh.

Thanks. At least I have plenty of minis to practice painting. These rohirrim are about to get primed along with the riders. They weren't better looking than the other minis when I got them. Some of the shields/weapons had to be replaced.

you're surpisingly on time.

So what's the biggest game you've ever tried to play? I once tried with a couple of friends to refight the Siege of Minas Tirith and Pellenor Fields with 3000 points aside, split into three 1000 point detachments. It was a total clusterfuck that took two days and saw Gandalf fall to his death off of the walls of Minas Tirith, the Witch King getting squished by a rampaging Mumakil and the King of the Dead killed by a random Easterling spearman. Good times.

Did a similar thing with Helms Deep. Did it over a weekend with evil having to kill 2/3rds of good hero's to win or good killing 50% of the evil forces. evil won. just.

The orcs have a lust for.... manflesh.
youtube.com/watch?v=XsqUOtfhco4

Wow, it must be epic. My record is a 1750 point per side deathmach between isengard and gondor, and a 4 player siege game. Both of them was on the edge of playability, took a long time, and played like total chaos. They were also great fun, would do it again any time.

I want to build my own helmsdeep and replay scenarios. One day, when I have the time and the material to make it. I hope.

After reading this thread, I’m under the impression Rohan can emulate Bretonnian gameplay quite well

Am I close to the mark?

>mark
i see what you did there. but i mean, i guess? it's a cavalry army, but there's no magic or pegasus equivalent.

Yes and I absolutely fucking love it.
Me and a friend started collecting them when they first came out. He would get the good armies and I would get the bad armies. We had at least a box of every troop type in our collection but most games would be his high elf army vs my uruk hai army. If I could close the distance in time I would usually win, but if the terrain slowed me or his vanguard slowed me down enough he would inch out a victory, mostly because uruk hai morale is terrible.
We still play the odd time to this day. The rules are very simple although can be time consuming and repetitive if two large forces are engaged in melee.

The great eye demands a continuation of the thread.

Are the Shire Hobbit models any good? I don't really care about the game but they look cute.

Tourney winning last I played. Hard to lose when you have that amny bodies.

Biggest threat is your opponents monsters throwing your hobbits into other hobbits

the actual models are very nice. you've got most of the named hobbits there and some nice generic ones too.

Yes and no... while getting the charge is crucial for both, in LotR SBG you need an extra layer of care in that when the riders get shot, the arrow might kill the horse, instead of the rider.

Which is partially beneficial, but the horse dies more easily than the rider and then you are left with a very expensive common soldier.

Also, as riders of Rohan are allowed to go over the bow limit, if the enemy army is rather slow/doesn't have many projectile troops, you can kite and whittle them, instead of smashing into them in a Bretonnian lance.

God this thread brings back memories of getting shitsomped as goblins by my friends dwarves. I never learned, but fuck me it was fun.