Damn right, my horse is better than yours edition

Damn right, my horse is better than yours edition.

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS

Tabletop Simulator Mod - steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1099785017

Ringteki (Browser based game client) - mahois.fun/

Card Database / Deck Builder - fiveringsdb.com/

TTS Deck Converter - infamous-irc.com/dengeki/l5r-deck-generator/

Sample decks in TTS Converter format - docs.google.com/document/d/1ca1DCfOZ8Nc-07YqGqGrV0fVu4Hme-deP5PkIojR1S8/

Current Card Rulings - docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MSIQHAJmfSMKk1RJmzuF_3Mtmav8ZRy8-LDXSbXCQAE/edit#gid=722499072

Thread question: What is a theme or mechanic from Old5R or another CG that could be implemented into New5R?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TytGOeiW0aE
youtube.com/watch?v=P0TzUNti3rY
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQ0HFgzxmgf9hcqIXGniaU3MU8uZjyzd2kAsrDtbHav283sWoY7Z1vc5dOlCz3OpIdwubLkAcovb7Zn/pubhtml#
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jurassic-petting-zoo/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>FAQ

>How many cores do I need to play the game?
Slightly subjective. If you just have one - you have a perfectly serviceable board game; but it's not really what this game is about. Two is probably minimum, but three core sets are needed for full playset. You can get away with two and just having friends, or eating it and just not having three copies of things.

>What is each clan about right now?
Copied from Reddit:

Crab - Defensive Military + Dishonor. They frequently rely on discarding their characters to gain effects, and also focus on buffs for holdings. Weak at attacking, strong at defending.

Crane - Political + pseudo honor. They rely on having their characters honored for the major of their effects, and also focus on negation and dueling. Weak to dishonor, strong at political and negation.

Dragon - Military + Political. They have balanced stats that rely on super units stacked with attachments to crush provinces and some some fate manipulation. Weak to attachment hate and board control, strong in that they balanced stats.

Lion - Military + pseudo honor. They want to swarm bodies on the board and use their conflict cards to keep characters around for multiple turns. Weaker at political, strong at military

Phoenix - Military/Political + Dishonor. They control the rings and get situationally strong effects based on the element being used and high glory stats can create huge stat units. Weak to dishonor, strong stats and board control. Also spells and shit.

Scorpion - Political + Dishonor. They control the characters and get strong effects by being dishonorable. Weak low glory characters, strong at controlling the board and putting your opponent in bad situations.

Unicorn - Military. They rely heavily on doing repeated military conflicts in the same turn, readying their characters/moving them into conflicts, and being the first player. Weak to dishonor, strong at bringing unexpected amounts of people into the fight.

>No Subject
>Also might have prematurely made the thread.

Also, thread Question;

More "X Matters" support would be nice as a theme, current Dragon(Attachments), Unicorn(Cavalry), Crab(Sacrifice) and Phoenix(Rings) have definitive Matters archetypes.

6 packs in 6 weeks.
Does FFG Think I am made of money or something?

Why are we splitting cardgame and RPG generals?

>he can't afford 90 bucks to spend on hobbies over a month and a half

RPG players are nerds

Yeah well look at the horrible beast that is starwars general. It's just inevitable we turn into the same bag.

Some of us make min wage working part time

Well then save up your TrumpBux then user.

This "Minimum wage lol" excuse is bullshit, there are kids who make like $20 a week by mowing lawns and complain less than you fucks.

ya and those kids do not have to pay rent and support their sick sister.

Where are you living that you can afford internet while only working part time on minimum wage?

wireless comes with the apartment.

What makes you think their internet is tied to where they live?

Fuck off or post relevant stuff.

RPG's will always been more active than the LCG at it's current state, as it wasn't hit as hard by the culling of the CCG. People can use AEGverse or FFverse.

Seeing as though the other thread is dead, may as well post my question here.

Bought 2 cores to test the waters with some friends, I'm pretty set on Unicorn - what should the second deck be that's a pretty even match up?

I've got Scorpion splash Crane assembled, and it feels okay - I tried Phoenix but it dies out to quickly as it needs that 3rd core for it to be even playable it seems.

>Rokugan now controlled by Fantasy Flight
We've already made the joke of this being the *true* Thousand Years of Darkness, right? Even if I don't really believe it, I feel bad letting that punchline slip by.

I think it'll be fine, it'll be a rocky start but teeter to positive community and game eventually.

>I'm pretty set on Unicorn

You have a really sick fetish, user. youtube.com/watch?v=TytGOeiW0aE

You must be a Phoenix or a Lion player.

I think you mean youtube.com/watch?v=P0TzUNti3rY

Pic related.

I was refereing more to the way FFG has treated the Unicorn so far

>Hey, you remeber your Clan Champion from the CCG at this point in time? Of course you don't! So we're going to make your Champion more interesting and memorable! There, we bolted a pair of tits on! Memorable, right?

>GOOD NEWS UNICORN PLAYERS! The first Tournament driven story event will be all about you and your sepecial brand of magic! The top players will vote on wheather EVERYONE should be able to learn you special clan magic, or if it should be made illegal! Aren't you glad you're in the spotlight now?

>We've decided that Cavalry shouldn't do anything at all on it's own, but we've got several cards that will reference it and syngrize with your deck, making you a highly mobile force of destruction! Oh, we're going to release those cards in the NEXT set! well, that's the rumor anyway

Seems like FFG just wanted to make the Unicorn mad at EVERYBODY, so that maybe it will be a Unicorn Clan Coup instead of a Scorpion Clan Coup.

Reminder that Tom Lehrer is a 'nerd icon' who hates space travel, and is too stupid to understand how math works.
But dat Gilbert and Sullivan parody, I guess.

Moving to and from battles is a meaningless waste of time in the new game anyways. Without having battlefields like the old game at most you get to do the "mind games" shit that FFG thinks is a thing.

>Spyglass
>Switching Spyglass to a new character that can move into another conflict
>Netting so much card gain

Other than that, I guess you're right - movement is pretty limited to what is actually viable as compared to what is doable. Our fuckign stronghold doesn't even work in situations that it needs to work in. It needs to be errata'd to any conflict, not just Mil.

The next Unicorn stronghold is super good tho. So look forward to it.

It CAN be usefull, in limited circumstances. Say I send one guy with 3 pol to a province for my first attack. Now my oponent can't just let that go unaswered. The honor loss, the benefit of the claimed ring, and the posibilty I have an Ornate Fan in hand mean he's got to send SOMONE to oppose. I can then move my guy home, unbowed and ready to show up to another fight later, while the dudes he sent to block bow out.

Or, a more simpler one is if you overcommit thinking your opponent has more tricks in hand than they do, and you don't need everyone there to break the province. Bring one home so you can use them on defense later on. OR count their standing glory for the Favor.
It's not an always useful thing, but it CAN be beneficial from time to time.

>Unicorn Clan Coup
Cuck's Clan Coup?

Harder to send people home than in tho. So you always have to run in under forced and then spend actions to get people in if you want to play the core theme.

I honestly did not know the champ was a girl.

Does it even matter in our Post-Gender world?

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQ0HFgzxmgf9hcqIXGniaU3MU8uZjyzd2kAsrDtbHav283sWoY7Z1vc5dOlCz3OpIdwubLkAcovb7Zn/pubhtml#

Scorp is showing their dominance of the game now

Well, they got very universal gimmicks and assassinate is their bread and butter with almost no down side for them

Is the Imperial set ~20 new cards across the 6 packs, or is it ~20 new cards in each pack?

20 new ones per pack I believe

20 new cards in each pack with x3 copies of each card for a playset.

20 new cards across 6 packs.
Each pack has 3 copies of 3 new cards in it for $15.

While I can see this happening in some alternate reality, I think that FFG wouldn't stop to that level of Yugioh low.

>Get mad about 6 pack/6 week
>Realize $200 bucks is still less than any M:tG deck.

Lies

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jurassic-petting-zoo/

That deck is great in standard and under $200 for singles.

All of my playgroup has congealed on Crane as the faction they want to play. Are there any tips for a Crab player against them? I try to choke players out on honor with low bids and hitting the Air Ring (which also gets me Initiates to sac for cards) until I'm up on cards, and then attack, but all of the honored guys Crane have keep them at pretty healthy honor regardless of what I do.

>Standard
You're arguing for a format that rotates meta every 3 months and operates at a $50-150 investment per rotation, compared to a new card game with a high buy in, but relatively affordable upkeep.

Hell, Modern is far far cheaper than standard in the long run, it just hurts more in the moment.
L5R being about $300 AUD for the ENTIRE COLLECTION as compared to ONE DECK that will eventually become unplayable isn't really a comparison m8.

Cool! Can you show me where its winning? Because I can't seem to find it listed on any of the recent Top 8s, but maybe it hasn't been updated yet.

It's obviously thematic, in times of conflict poor daimyos would have to rely on Ronin.

Honor victory isn't a feasible wincon, and dishonor only works as a wincon if your opponent doesn't protect themselves. Bid high when you can and out-value them. Earth is better than air as an honor control ring too, because cards in hand is what you actually use honor for, and you can strip their key cards because random.

The #1 skill to learn in this game is just understanding the value of every resource you and your opponent invests. Let them win attacks they over commit on.

>Let them win attacks they over commit on.

Don't do that against Unicorn.

That's how we get turn 2-3 wins.

Take what you can get horse fuckkos

I'm not really going for a dishonor victory, but the idea is to put them down to 1-3 honor and keep bidding 1 card so I out-draw them thanks to Pyre/Shrewd Yasuki/Envoy.

Okay so assuming that to get them there you need to drain 8 honor. That means you took 2 draw phases of drawing 1 each, and they took 2 draw phases of drawing 5 each.

So you're down 8 cards. Do you think you can feasibly draw 9+ cards with card effects? Let's not forget that Crane has artisans academy and other drawing effects, as well as lots of ways to gain tons of honor.

Bid high.

After 20 or so times their eyes turn into heart shapes and they love you.

disgusting

nice thread title, fuckass

The new packs can't come out fast enough. I want to have more dynasty deck build decisions so badly

Any advice for a Lion player?

I want a stronghold that doesn't suck

t. pony

Slow and steady

Go as fast as you can and win by rush.

Hmmmmm

Don't take the unicorn trap

ignore them. Splash Phoenix and go for Honor win.

New player here, if I want to go unicorn am I just fucked?

Only for like 8 weeks.

Explanation for why that's bad?

I took the trap

Unicorn is getting old Calv in the first pack.

2 Cost to declare a conflict at a province and only Calvary personalities can be assigned there.

That seems a little broke for that cost. Especially since you can potentially pull 3 and take three virtually uncontested provinces as movement outside of Unicorn is rare and your opponent's only defense is peeps from their hand or shit like Charge or Ambush.

Favored ground or any other move effects.

Where was it spoiled?
Playing useless cards to have at least some chance against broken unicorn card. That's not how balance is supposed to work.

Favored ground is not useless.

favored ground is one of the best cards in the game, nitwit.

You don't have enough mobility to utilise Spyglass.
You have enough political net political power, so you don't need to run Captive Audience.
You aren't playing Unicorn so step up and stop being a filthy cub.

>political net political
Fuck me.

Inside Unicorn it's okay at best and has it's uses, but outside it's a god send

Being honest, I've been fairly happy with my WLD rate, I would say I'm at about 15/10/0 at the moment - Meta is big on Crane, Phoenix and Dragon.

Ah, the big stompy guy/single combat control meta.

I can see why Unicorns are doing fine

It used to be 8 Scorp, 3 Crane, 1 Unicorn (me) and then they got bored of playing mirrors and decided they wanted to have fun. Far more variety in games now.

On some people that's just not going to work. I have two guys who play Lion and can keep their honor high as fuck. So I beat them both by letting my OWN honor get perilously low so they kept bidding one to try and get me in range of the kill.

It achieved the same effect, limiting their draw and then netting huge card advantage with Funeral Pyre, Storehouse and Earth Ring and Shrewd Yasuki.

Stick some court games in your deck. You're GOING to have to deal with politcal conflicts. Even if dishonoring their guy dosen't result in a massive point swing, a dishonored personality leaving play causes them to loose an honor.

If they have a fat hand, slap down your watchman and go hard at them. Use the Intimidating Hida to punish players who are heavy into one type of conflict or don't have enough dudes to launch two attacks and still defend against you.

In most of my games, honor has reached critical levels, but it was misplays chasing after that Honor/Dishonor win that allowed the strongholds to be broken.

Do you think we'll see any Mantis or Spider clan cards in the future?

I'm not begging for it, hell I think I wouldn't play either, but it'd be nice to see how they could perform in the FFverse.

Probably the former, I hope never for the later. The Spider are cancerous.

Mantis would be cool, perhaps a mix of cunning and evasion tactics would be their mainstay, but have weaker over all units.

Spider's just no fun.

don't know if we'd see it but I would love some Mantis. Spider was a mistake.

Red pill / tl;dr me on Mantis and Spider?

I get that Spider was bad news, but never really understood why.

The Spider were a narrative traincrash.
The writers didn't know what to do with them for a long time, and then gave them the thickest plot-armor ever conceived.
They prayed openly to the god of evil and preached a philosophy that was the exact opposite of bushido, called shourido.
They were a failed try to introduce the Sith to the setting.

As for the Mantis, it's more of a mixed bag.
They incorporated a lot of "modern" ideas, like capitalism and meritocracy in a very package.
They also benefitted from massive plot-armor and managed to obtain Great clan status by threatening the leaders of the empire in a display of shocking disrespect and temerity.
And now to the point everyone agrees to, when they became a Great clan, all the Minor clans that fused together with the Yoritomos lost a majority of their personality and just blended in.
This weird concoction made them a "hate it or love it" theme.
Also, they were half the time broken beyond repair in the ccg for the last 6 years or so.

When I see their art from previous editions, it's like a mix between pirates and some of their units being surrounded Swarms of bugs.
What's with all that?
Are they Evil?

The Yoritomo family is a seafaring one. They later got that as their prime theme.
As for the insects, you probably saw Kitsune art. They are an unique shugenja family that can commune and use spirits from the animal realm.

The looks go off which family/minor clan the characters came from.
Yoritomo (Mantis Clan) were pirates
Tsuruchi (Wasp Clan) were archers
Kitsune (Fox Clan) were animal spirit shugenja
Moshi (Centipede Clan) were Fire/Air Shugenja originally, then became Thunder shugenja

So I guess most aspects of those clans are already found in the core clans, except for pirates and Thunder Shugenja.

That can b said with a lot of clan families.
The Yoritomos have the best Navy and are very good merchants. (two themes they stole fom the crab)
The Tsuruchi are the best archer by a country mile. (weirdly enough, no one really had dibs on that besides maybe the Crane)
The Kitsune were historians and archivists that suddendly became a shugenja family out of the blue. (The setting really needed Pokemon trainers apparently)
The Moshi are the main priests of the Sun/Amaterasu that suddenly also got Thunder access for bullshit reasons.

>The Moshi are the main priests of the Sun/Amaterasu that suddenly also got Thunder access for bullshit reasons.

So I guess we might see elements of them in Tears or generally throughout the imperial cycle?
There needs to be better Neutral Shugenja.

In the CCG the Naga had the Ranged Attacks theme before the Mantis took it. Not that the Naga were a particularly good faction, like the Ratling they kinda distract from L5R being about magical samurai doing magical samurai things.

Spider/shadowlands as a faction is a dumb idea since political stuff would be meaningless to them but I would love to see Oni/tainted clan samurai at some point.

You would basically be saving on fate for your big stompy dudes by paying a bunch of honor instead.

What are your thoughts on the current Imperial spoilers?

>Talisman of the Sun / Chasing the Sun
>Basically reads "Move to the one province that will seriously fuck up your opponent."

>Stone of Sorrows
>Basically reads "Lol, I get all the fate."
>Sensei is good, but probably goes in very few go tall decks.

>Disdainful Remark
>Basically reads "No, you can totally attack me Scorpion/Unicorn player - I totally have no tricks in hand *Covers mouth with Fan*"
>Test of Skill
>Considering that Crane is almost all Event, wow, that's good, fucking great splash too.

Man those were STRONG.

Scorpion finally has the draw burn it needed. But to bad they're seekers right now. Mask is so ehh. If I wanted that effect I'd use the Neutral Shugenja attachment.

And then... Lion, Phoenix, and Crab... Shame.

Pathfinder's is so hit and miss, Berserker is fun but requires you to be on the losing end anyway.
Time for War and Guard Duty are so redundant, holy fuck.
Phoenix has an unplayable 5 drop and a decent but 2 for 1 removal event.

Wouldn't the Phoenix seeker card completely wreck a Voltron Dragon?

>5 Fate to remove one or two units

Hmmmmmmmm,

Defender get's the first action, so Chasing the Sun is basically giving your opponent the option to trigger two province effects.

Harmonize makes ponies ability to move their bowed cavalry into a conflict marginally more useful.

>Iuchi Wayfinder

You'll work it to your advantage.

There is no advantage to be had. It's just an objectively shit card.

The only thing Chasing the Sun ever does is help you move away from provinces with constant or on-break abilities, such as Pilgrimage, the Earth provinces, Defend the Wall, Art of War/Peace, etc. That's it, really. If you run face first into one of those and it's really bad, you can roll the dice and go somewhere else instead.

If it had been an interrupt or reaction to flipping the province up it might be playable. Maybe. Instead they printed a coaster.

At least the Talisman is 10/10 baller.

After re-reading it, I see where you're coming from.

My bad familgia.

To be honest, Chase the Sun's existence actually still benefits Unicorn, just like Northern Wall Sensei benefits Dragon even though Dragon (hopefully, I swear to fuck) won't go Keeper.

The Unicorn already wanted to go Keeper, because they're more of a midrange value deck instead of an aggro deck and Keeper Initiate works quite well. Talisman cements that quite heavily, being even more midrange value that can combine with ultra-spiky provinces for good times. So they never were going to go Seeker anyways, really, so their Seeker card was never going to be playable for them. This way, their Seeker card is also not playable for the Seekers that splash Unicorn for the tasty tasty Spyglass.

So in a very spiteful sense, Chase the Sun still helps Unicorn, just indirectly. Similarly Northern Wall Sensei does the same for Dragon, as even though it's a shit card Dragon were never going to go Keeper, and now Keepers that splash Dragon can't run Northern Wall Sensei.