/bgg/ Board Games General: Now with 100% More Questions

100% More Questions Edition

Last thread
Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu (embed)

Pick a theme for your next boardgame evening. What is it? What do you bring?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamforged.com/dark-souls-the-board-game-expansions-print-play
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Best deckbuilder games?
Best dice drafting games?

>Best deckbuilder games?
It's still Dominion. Always has been, always will be.

I personally like deckbuilders with boards. I still think Trains: Rising Sun is best in that category, especially considering that it can play in less than an hour, even with 4 players. Troyes is a great dice drafter.

No, it is not. It has plenty of mistakes that have been improved upon since.

None of the market row deckbuilders beside maybe Valley of the Kings is an improvement. Thunderstone and everything descended from are worse than Dominion.

You can't be serious. You know Concordia exists, right?

>Best deckbuilder games?
Great Western Tail.

I'm only slightly trolling.

Concordia is not a deck builder.

Go on. Like what?

Concordia is a great game. But you never shuffle your cards, and you can win without cycling more than two or three times. It's one of the best Euros, but not a deckbuilder.

>everyone starts with the same deck of cards
>as the game go on, players purchase new cards and play them over and over again
>the winner is whoever manages to have the best deck in the end
Concordia is a better deck-builder than Cuckminion because you're not just building retard engine and racing for provinces and end the game in 10 minutes

There's no shuffling and no trashing. It's not a deckbuilder.

Oh shit sorry, I forgot that every deck-builder is legally obliged to have trashing and shuffling according to Autism League of Pointless Definitions

Baseball Highlights 2045

It's not a deckbuilder if you can't build your deck. "Building" implies being able to shuffle and discard bad cards.

So, just to clarify, if you play Dominion without trashing cards in the set-up, does it count as a deckbuilder? Is Dominion a quantum deckbuilder which may or may not be a deckbuilder depending on which cards you use to play?

Not that guy, and I don't know Concordia well, but I don't think it can really count as deck building if you don't have a deck. If it's just cards in your hand, then it's just a hand. I dunno, I like Millennium Blades but I wouldn't try to argue it's a deck builder.

I am curious why trashing is a required part of deck building however. I mentioned Baseball Highlights 2045 and I've always defined it as a deck builder, but you automatically pick an old player to throw out as soon as you buy a new one. You don't buy cards dedicated to trashing, I'm curious if he argues that as not a deck builder.

Whether he considers it a deckbuilder or not has exactly zero effect on your life. Just carry on and ignore these arguments user, they are the shittiest thing about bgg

There's far far shittier aspects of /bgg/ than discussing the technical definitions of genres. The last couple threads are evidence of that.

I guess my point was if you feed these baiters you're just letting bgg devolve into shit like that. Ignore them, they don't matter.

Has anyone here played Fortress America? A friend picked it up cheap and is trying to decide whether to play it or just sell it for like 4x he paid.

Disagree with the user who requires trashing but I'd say Concordia is more of a hand/resource management game, because you're not drawing it randomly, but playing the cards from your hand until you decide to tribune and grab them back, but I wouldn't call Century a deckbuilder either and it uses the same mechanic, play a card or pick your hand back up. The act of shuffling isn't a good metric because then you can't define the sub-genre of bag builders under the same umbrella; you're not shuffling anything in Puzzle Strike of Automobiles.

Tell me about it user, I always hear good things but never sat down to play it or listen to an overexcited reviewer try to sell me it.

I have played nippon from what's your game and I really liked it. I have noticed that we also have madeira from the same designers and haven't read the rules yet, but I wonder whether it is as much fun. There are not many opportunities nowadays for me to play a boardgame, so I'd rather not spend an evening playing a fluke. Any opinion?

It'd depend how cheap he got it and the edition, but it's pretty fun and considering FFG has it in limbo? You could prolly play it a couple times and still sell it for near/at what you'd get for an in shrink edition.

That's a good point about resale potential. He's a big fan of dice chuckers so we'll probably at least give it one go. Thanks, user

Not that user but Dominion is as badly designed as it gets. It's a game that hides it puddle depth and mechanical poverty behind dizzying variety of gimmicky cards. Once you learn all the cards (after shilling out 400 bux on all the expansions) you're basically done with the game. There's almost no meaningful interaction between the players, luck factor is huge, the games are sometimes decided on turn 1, downtime is gigantic (god have mercy upon the unfortunate souls who made the grave mistake of playing with Possession card), the game actively punishes creativity (better stick to that big money strat instead of buying fun shit), the catch-up mechanics aren't there so whoever buys the first Province/Colony is going to win 90% of time, balance doesn't exist with some cards being obviously great and some obviously shit.
I will say about two positives:
- Dominion DOES have a very fun learning curve up until aforementioned point of learning all the cards.
- Knight cards are fun as fuck and I recommend having them in every game. These 10 cards are so fucking fun its like they belong to another, better game.

>the game actively punishes creativity (better stick to that big money strat instead of buying fun shit)
Your post has all sorts of mistakes in it, but I can't believe that you still claim with a straight face that big money is superior to other strategies. This isn't the case any more on the significant majority of boards. Go and play some of the higher-ranked players online with big money and come back and tell us how hard you got raped.

Yup, the old MB version is out there for like $25 (but the FFG edition wipes the floor with it) but on the Geek market you're looking at $45 for VG, $50-90 for like new, and $75-90 for in shrink. Play it once, if you love it sleeve the cards and treat the plastics like your children, then sell it in 2 years if tired of it and FFG hasn't reprinted again.

I obviously didn't mean pure big money (although that works just fine against anyone who mistakingly came to have a jolly time), but lets be frank, slapping a few enablers doesn't change the fact that you end up filling the deck with money cards.
When you aren't playing big money, you are building some boring, obvious engine that takes forever and makes everyone hate you.

Sell it to game group buddy, best of both worlds.

>nippon
Seems fiddly. What else do you like?

Part of it might just be my love of baseball, and like the sport itself it's a bit dry for some peoples tastes. I think it's a really interesting use of deck building though. The baseball theme adds more strategic setup for big plays and strategies as opposed to your average get victory points or damage opponents, and instead of balancing winning to money, you're more balancing offense to defense and trying to counter the other player's picks on what types of players they're buying with the Natural/Cyborg/Robot aspect.

I wouldn't say it's for everyone, but it hits my niche of looking for a 1v1 deck builder with more player interaction. The only thing that can bug me at times is the player income tends to be skewed against ever being in reach of buying some of the more expensive players, which if you get a few of those really big plays in the store, ends up creating a clog where you both are just left with less options to buy. You have to really focus on player income to have 12 revenue at the end of a round of play, and it feels like there's just a few too many players who cost around 10-12. Might just be luck of what we draw for the store though.

>the game actively punishes creativity
This, I spent time culling my starting deck before I knew "the strategy" and the dominion player was fascinated at seeing something new. I beat the two other non-dominion people but of course the big money crushed us by like 70.

>lets be frank, slapping a few enablers doesn't change the fact that you end up filling the deck with money cards.
You're doing it wrong. Most engines don't need more than two or three golds to be able to get two provinces per turn. Filling your deck with treasures actually harms your engine. Besides, even if you're running Big Money+, it's a good challenge to figure out WHICH card is going to be your +.

If you are getting beaten by "big money" you are either only playing with the base game or don't know enough of "the strategy". Dominion was one of the games I have the most experience with thanks to the old isotropic site, where I had over a thousand games played. Unfortunately ever since the site was killed there hasn't been a good way to play the game and the competitive core has kind of died away, so yea dominion is probably worth skipping on these days.

Yeah don't know don't care, I've observed in person that the experienced player owns the table, which is a boardgame cardinal sin in my book. I just didn't know what to call it until /bgg/

>bgg helps me hate everything properly

They have a new dominion comp game, dunno the name but seeing how dominionstrategy is still online and being updated there is still a playerbase. What makes me really mad though is how fucking jewish the publisher is.
>immediately discusses with donaldo to cut his game up to shit out a bunch of xpacks after people take a shine to the base game and feel its limitations because half the game got cut out
>when someone makes a fan online version with isotope say youre fine with it but he has to take it down once you make an official version
>make a really shitty official version by hiring some shitty sweatshop that is half broken and doesnt work nearly as well as isotope but still execute it to ensure your own mess is populated
>because nobody is happy with it, including you say you scrap it and make something better
>shit out something just as terrible, bleed players again because people are too annoyed with switching
>your game quickly becomes irrelevant because other games do your trick better and still fuck up
Ive tried the mobile version after isotope went down and jesus christ what a mess. Even offline play required constant connection and every play you made gave a 0.5 second lag to authenticate with the server. If the server shat itself (it always did) you got locked out of the game.
Im sure as soon as some person make tanto cuore with no animu card faces into a smooth experience with bots for offline play nobody will bother with dominion its disgusting platform.

>that the experienced player owns the table, which is a boardgame cardinal sin in my book
Isn't it true for pretty much all board games except party/family shit?

It's true for anything that requires strategy, don't feed that dumbass

Tanto cuore unironically. It made money a bit more expensive, it made the point cards a lot better (making estates give bonus points to the one who took the most of them, and cutting out duchies). Making trashing more natural and other little things. While dominion has the advantage of having a lot of xpacks that increase the amount of boards you can play, I find some of the core parts shaky.

The sad part about your post is how you claim dominion will always be the best. There is plenty of improvement to be made. Its just that the stream of deckbuilders afterwards oversaturated the market. So getting a new pure deckbuilder out is difficult. And most seem more confident in combining it with a board or something.

>weebfaggot still trying to push his weeshit

>w-what, they are attacking master donaldo's perfect game, Ill tell those faggots that they cannot insult master like that!
>Please, dont get mad donaldo, I want to buy another xpack of you to get a few measly extra cards.

What are you tolkien about, retard? I don't even like Dominion, I just don't think Dominion: Weeb Trash Edition is any better

Is Shadows Over Camelot with the expansions going to be worth it with a four person group? It sounds like a pretty tough game.

>anything remotely asian is shit by default
sorry, president trump. didn't mean to trigger you so hard

are the terraforming mars expansions any good?

Nope. Not worth it with 4, especially with a traitor. Traitor only works with higher numbers.

Both of you are wrong.

Best Deck Builder is either Clank or Arctic Scavengers.

>Shadows Over Camelot
seems like it would be hella easy to be the traitor

>get lancelot's armor
>draw and play worst cards every turn

It's been out 3 times at my group and never won, never even close. I've only played once and poor teaching fucked us as hard as anything (like King Arthur not passing out any cards ever for anything and the traitor pretty much revealing himself on the first card)

Does /bgg/ have a general dislike of Blood Rage, and why?

>Clank

I like Clank!, want to get Clankinspace! but what makes it the best deckbuilder?

>Arctic Scavengers
are the expansions worth it?

>kickstarter
>minis
>top 20
Take a guess

I like it but it isnt the endall of dudes on a map and if you think you go for a bloody viking game youre wrong. It is a lot about area control and mindgames. Drafting feels like of tacked on, like they had some cool card effects and didnt want to bother balancing them all.

I don't think you can buy it without the expansions anymore. But yes. The leaders is a great option as well as the clans, but the general cards also help with replayability.

Clank is just so much fun. Plays really fast, great artwork and unlike other deckbuilders, the gameplay really matches the theme (the board helps immensely). Your party and skills grow as you explore the dungeon, and then it becomes a race to get out before the dragon kills you. It is also really easy to teach. I've never had anyone complain about playing Clank.

Arctic Scavengers is a bit more complex, because cards are set, so you are trying to build to a strategy - I like it, but I have some friends who won't play it because of the theme (especially with some of the leaders - cannibalism and slavery - no they aren't SJWs. They just don't like those themes).

Clank is more forgiving. Like Ascension or Legendary, the cards available are random, so you have to adapt, and all of the cards are good, so you can't really go wrong.

I tend to stay away from CMON games myself. I bought Arcadia Quest retail and BR retail, and like them both, but they aren't in my top 10 or anything.

But my top game atm is Shadows of Brimstone, another game I didn't Kickstart (but actually wish I had because of the amount that actually came with the KS version).

I don't usually kickstart games. I kickstarted Gloomhaven, and also 7th Continent, but that's it. I'd rather not wait and just buy it from store when it comes out, but both of those won't be available where I live.

Defenders of the realm works better with 4 if you don't mind pure co-op.

Not that guy, but one of the really enjoyable things for me about boardgames is the early games strategy learning and feeling that me as a normal person can come up with my own strategy to approach winning, whereas in something like chess I could never hope to think up new strategies. Also most players are around the same level of experience normally.

It is probably the main reason I seek out new games to play a handful of times and move on, as opposed to just focusing down on a single game to really master.

There's this copy of Arctic Scavengers Big Box sitting unwanted in an FLGS, but what really irks me about it is why they chose and went with the Arctic theme. Seeing so much snow on cards is so fucking boring.

IMO the game is better than dominion. The only draw dominion has is the massive amount of expansions and options BUT, some of them are really broken, some combinations are useless etc.

RIO Grande bought the rights to this and then sat on it, not wanting it to compete with Dominion until recently. Shame, because it's much more strategic than dominion, allows for some great player interaction and bluffing, and just works better.

It does take longer to play than Dominion though. A few people who know dominion probably get through a game in 20-40 minutes. This would take about 40-80 minutes?

I dont doubt that it's as good, if not better than Dominion. I was just complaining that they could have gone with a more vibrant and interesting theme instead of this bleak and desolate ice and snow shit

yeah, they probably figured that the bleak desert wasteland was overdone. It also released at the height of zombie popularity, so it was a different apocalypse

I just scored the most recent FFG version of Fury of Dracula. Did I do good?

Anyone else just wants to punch this fat hog? Why do their keep this sour cunt around?

Only if you resell it for twice the price you paid for it.

I like Sam. He is like an old stale meme that you still like. He's a grump, says dumb old man stuff like "Catch you on the flip side", and loves big thematic games. He is the opposite of Zee, so I think they all balance out.

>caring about the dice tower guys
except for /bgg/ boardgame community consists of faggots and interacting with them more than strictly necessary is ill adviced

What'd he do this time?

Gave Bios: Genesis a big fat zero for obvious reasons.

steamforged.com/dark-souls-the-board-game-expansions-print-play
Temporary appeasement for their fuckups.
Not bad, mimics are nice.

I think people just don't recognize they're the same as any other game group with bad jokes, autistic people, etc. The only difference is Tom set out to do a shit ton of reviewing and promoting for his hobby and since he was the first, it's led to his gaming group being up front and center. It's why their not-serious stuff tends to be better, the live convention top 10s, this joint top 100 where they shit on each other.

There's also the fact Tom wants TDT to be 100% G/PG rated so you know they're pulling punches on screen a lot. Does make stuff like the Gencon Alan Moon drama hilarious when it happens though.

Tom and Sam are both Christian, (I think Tom is actually a Pastor), so I doubt they swear a lot or tell dirty jokes off screen. It comes across sometimes in their reviews (eg, they both hate Claustrophobia and Chaos in the Old World for theme, but acknowledge they are good games).

What happened with Alan Moon?

>steamforged.com/dark-souls-the-board-game-expansions-print-play

I'm so glad I didn't back this, or even buy it when I saw it retail.

There's a sizable chunk of their gencon live show cancelled because Alan Moon came in stage, was supposed to announce a new ticket to ride map, and instead did some silly stand up that was beyond their usually pg rating. Can't find any video or anything.

I backed it and don't regret it... Because I made $30 more than I paid for the whole thing selling just the base box and get to sell all these expansions once they arrive.

Tom worked as a missionary and teacher, Sam's the youth pastor. They've still gotten a lil loose on camera before and talked about how they have to edit.

The Alan Moon thing was they brought him on stage for an "interview" during the live show. They had maybe a half dozen or so publishers/designers up to talk about new stuff, and they wanted to ask him about the new TtR. He instead did a stand up comedy routine, which apparently he's done before other places. It went south when he told the Dam Fish joke, Tom was cringing, had his hat in front of his face, muttering, etc. Afterwards he apparently went off and was livid about it since there were young kids in the audience.

They didn't put the video up, and it took an extra week to do the audio of it because they wanted the entire thing edited. You can find a few people talking about it on their BGG forum, but it was mostly "oh he told a bad joke" and no one repeating it because they didn't want to be moderated.

Boardgamers are really weird

There is a group I go to. I've met some nice people there that I invite around to play games with (incidentally, all of them, like me, have kids - so they are normal enough to meet others and get married).

The majority of them are unmarried, overweight guys who talk like comic. book. guy. and also smell.

And one guy is like the personification of reddit. Everything out of his mouth is a reddit headline. I stopped going during the 2016 election because it was endless drivel about bernie sanders. I live in New Zealand.

But they probably think I'm weird because I won't play St Petersberg or Terraforming Mars, or Agricola or some other dull looking game with cubes and weird art, and instead I play stuff with loads of RNG and confrontation.

I like you user

>endless drivel about bernie sanders. I live in New Zealand.
That's some turbo autism right there

I have a group of lite board gamers looking for a new co-op game. We play stuff like Splendor, Sushi Go, Red Dragon Inn, Pandemic, and Flashpoint right now. Just finished up a round of Betrayal of the House on the Hill tonight.

I'm looking for a game that is co-op, but doesn't feel like a puzzle. Pandemic and Flashpoint have went over extremely well, but seem more like problem solving some times. Betrayal was enjoyable, but a nightmare between pacing and wonky gameplay. We went from "We got a plan to win" to "This attack kills everyone in one hit" in less than two rounds. I'd love a game that feels "Adventure-y," but plays a little more smoothly. Also, the complexity needs to be low, Betrayal was pretty taxing on the group with combat rules and creature abilities. A system that also let's players feel unique with specific stats and abilities is also a plus.

Any ideas?

Mage Knight.

>complexity needs to be low

I love mage knight, but it is a medium-heavy weight game. If they could barely handle the betrayal combat rules, then I don't think mage knight is not going to go well.

He's alright when he isn't in reddit mode.

Lol, don't be cruel

Forbidden Island/Desert is probably up your alley. Maybe Ghostbusters (I'm not sure if this is just a retheme of Flashpoint though). You might like something like Near and Far as well. It's a campaign game but very easy to play rules and just generally fun with some indirect conflict (you can block other spaces but in all the games I've played, it is rarely a detriment to other players).

You can try some of the cooperative rpg style games.

Oh, and I just remembered - the new version of Escape from Colditz.

It's a coop vs one, but only one can win. So while you can't directly screw over your teammates, there is only one winner, although for the most part you are working together to thwart the german guards.

The rules are VERY simple, because the game is about 40 years old, but it still plays well today with the right group.

Shadows of Brimstone best coop RPG. However, the rules (while simple) would probably over whelm them. Maybe something like Legacy of Dragonholt by FFG when it is released.

Looks like multiplayer choose your own adventure with legacy/permanent game changes between quests.

Most co-ops are going to feel like puzzles. Plus the more important problem of there being an alpha player since most co-op games are actually solo games split into different roles.

Have you tried Zombicide?

I hate not being able to recommend Spirit Island here.

Maybe Ghost Stories?

Mac Gerdts has a huge hard-on for rondel games. If you want a classification for Concordia, then I'd call it more of a rondel builder than anything.

You are encouraged to do all your actions and your loop on the action board can be ended at anytime, but everyone is tied to the same basic actions.

What'd they fuck up?

Mage Knight is super simple. Just play the cards for points and use the points for shit,

Yeah. Like Through the Ages. So simple. Just put cubes on cards and get more cards.

I downloaded the tokaido app and I've been playing around with it but it seems to me (after three games against the AI) that having the most temple donations gives you the best chance to win. It gives you ten bonus points so that makes it worth more than coming in first in three other areas. Does anyone else agree with this or am I off the mark?

This game - soooo good.

Very thematic, lots of fun.

> thinks Agricola is dull
Yep, it's a faggot. I hate you already.

>I'm looking for a game that is co-op, but doesn't feel like a puzzle.
So you want something that isn't a game?

wow, I bet your game nights are fun...

>STOP DISLIKING WHAT I LIKE

Maybe he's so intelligent he immediately sees the optimum play heuristic for every game and he just uses RNG fests to even the playing field between himself and us trogs as a social lubricant.

Of course they are, since I don't play with mouthbreathing faggots.

Or more likely he's just a mongoloid idiot.

No, I want people who don't belong to leave. If you hate good boardgames and want just another 80-IQ skinner box, then play vidya instead. Don't come here ruining something that's still decent and untainted.

>still decent and untainted
delusional as fuck

I actually do win most Euros first time. Not sure if its because I pick up rules quick and other players don't, or I'm just lucky, but nearly every euro I'v played, except for power grid, I've won.

Played Great Western Trail first time two weeks ago. Won. Played Through the Ages first time a month ago. Won. Caylus. Won. Terraforming Mars. Won.

But to be honest, I just don't like playing with gamesnobs who sit there acting all pretentious and saying shit like "this game is so elegant" and "I hate games with miniatures" and "beautiful wooden components".

Give me minis and 50 dice and I'll play for 8 hours and be happy.