The BBEG wants his children to be good aligned

>the BBEG wants his children to be good aligned

This is a realistic character trait, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F3IDhQkOanQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes. In fact, it's how most people who try to gain success and stability via underhanded means should act. Do the dirty work yourself so your family stays clean and doesn't have to risk themselves. The BBEG is basically just taking one for the team.

Being good isnt caused by good times, its caused by triumphing over adversity.

Yup. It's natural for parents to want their children to live long if not longer lives than them.

You can't be a BBEG without living a life where a fuckton of people want you dead, including those you keep close.

They prosper from ill-gotten gains. Their possible success is thereby tainted and they will never be truly good (unless they repent by giving away all their worldly possessions and living a life of poverty, or move to another place starting from absolute scratch, college degree and all).

Yeah. In fact, that's how a lot of really shitty people justify what they do. "I was watching out for my family!" "I wanted my kids to have a better life than I did!" etc, etc.

You can be good without being a crusader, user. You're talking about heroics, not being good.

Well there's something to be said of someone rationalizing the horrible things they've done as things they had to do. They're the sort of people that always end up with dead kids in revenge stories though, so where does that leave the PCs?

No, alignment systems are pretty rigid and gameable.
Doing the dirty work yourself to keep your descendants away from the evil alignment is a perfectly valid way to abuse the system.

It's not even a particularly advanced one, the good ones abuse good/evil/law/chaos aligned spell spam.

> "I never wanted this for you..."

This certainly seems to be a common trope in media.

It's because most people have motivations for their actions, rather than just being murderhobos

Yeah except Walter also admits he kind of enjoyed being the bad guy too.

The Wire is better

I'd think most criminals would beat their kids 'n shit. They're criminals for a reason (violent personalities, low morals).

Even sociopaths are capable of love

No, that's psychopaths. Sociopaths feel nothing, or very little.

They're the same thing you retard.

Not really. Sociopaths don't necessarily have compulsion based psychotic thoughts. Sociopaths can function in society - psychopaths invariably are damaged and can only maintain a facade for so long.

There are nuanced and important differences.

>They prosper from ill-gotten gains.
The only way they can be good-aligned is if they give it away.

Literal lie

That depends if they are aware or otherwise suspect the truth

How is that an "except"?

Is that the best scene in movie history?

Depends on the person. I don't see why criminals would choose such a pain in the ass lifestyle if there are other options

Dude, stop acting like a dumbass

For a lot of people being a criminal is more appealing than working at McDonalds or whatever because of pride. They don't want to be a wageslave, they'd rather be with a gang or mob that will provide more for them and even kill for them

Sociopath and psychopath are synonymous you illiterate fuck

You're an idiot

IMO I really don't think being good is caused by either good or bad things happening to you, it's probably an influence but not a straightforward correlation.

I guess a lot of professional writers have daddy issues

>They're criminals for a reason (violent personalities, low morals)

You mean like, violent or highly illegal crime, right? Because only the naivest and whitest motherfucker in the world would think all criminals are violent unethical people. You have fucking innocents in prison.

>BBEG

Ugh.

Weak bait

>BBEGU

Really activates your almonds.

Yeah. Because most real bad guys don't see themselves as bad. They believe that what they are doing is right or okay, and it differs from the vast majority. Most aren't Saturday morning cartoon villains who knowingly do evil for the sake of evil. And the ones who do don't tend to get very far because they get caught or fucked up before they ever get that far. The ones who do slip through the cracks are a few (not even many of them) sociopaths who happen to be smart despite the fucked up neocortex. And this just makes them selfish and greedy assholes with no morals, not out to destroy the world and their own self interest with it. Some even abide by morals if only for their own self interest and play society's "game".

The whole "bwahahaha i am so evil! XD" shit doesn't exist anywhere except as a hamfisted way to get people to know who the bad guy is, because nuance is hard to understand for retards.

Bwahahaha evil DOES exist

It's called mental illness

Like BTK or Dahmer or General Buttnaked

>Because only the naivest and whitest motherfucker in the world would think all criminals are violent unethical people. You have fucking innocents in prison.

If they're innocent they're not really criminals are they.

You are aware of what the word "justify" means right?

Confusing the quality of good with the virtue of good.

Get this, you can be a "good" serial killer.

It depends on the kind of criminal.

People who are criminals because they have to steal to pay for their next fix? Yeah, probably not great parents.

But the trope is usually in the context of second generation organized crime. And there it DOES make sense, not just because successful organized crime necessitates a more competent and forward thinking sort of individual, but because organized crime is highly community oriented. Mafia style organizations largely grow out of chaotic situations where the community takes the law into its own hands to create order on their terms. This is why there was so much loyalty in the communities where the mafia ran things. The 'beat down the shopkeeper because he doesn't pay up on the shakedown' thing you see in movies is to remove all ambiguity from the situation and make them obviously evil, when in reality that sort of behavior is highly at odds with the mob's self interest.

The parents down want the kids involved in the family business because the kids should already have everything they need to succeed, unlike the parents who had to claw their way to the top. And, historically, kids who grew up aware of what was going on tend to focus on the crime itself rather than the rest of the social contract that makes the mob function, leading to disaster. Because they assume the loyalty shown to the head extends from the power they wield, rather than that the head is powerful because he has earned the loyalty of others.

Everything I've ever read or watched about the Mafia has consistently backed up the consensus that it was composed of impulsive thugs whose sense of community largely consisted of intimidating everyone in their territory so they would submit to various scams.

>While the traits of each may seem similar, it is thought that sociopaths have a less severe form of lack of empathy and lack of guilt. It is thought that sociopaths may be able to form some deep bonds (such as, possibly, with family) while a psychopath cannot. Moreover, while a sociopath would feel no guilt about hurting a stranger, they may feel guilt and remorse over hurting someone with which they share a bond. Additionally, it appears that some of the very antisocial behavior in sociopaths lessens over time while this cannot be said of psychopaths

Would a quick google search be too much to ask next time?

>The 'beat down the shopkeeper because he doesn't pay up on the shakedown' thing you see in movies is to remove all ambiguity from the situation and make them obviously evil, when in reality that sort of behavior is highly at odds with the mob's self interest.
Don't kid yourself, it happens. Loyalty and terror go hand in hand. Organized crime is a pimp that makes whores out of the entire community, and will get rough if they're denied their take.

>Source
Your ass

Sources:
>Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders
>The Society for the Scientific Study of Psychopathy (SSSP)

>They prosper from ill-gotten gains. Their possible success is thereby tainted and they will never be truly good (unless they repent by giving away all their worldly possessions and living a life of poverty, or move to another place starting from absolute scratch, college degree and all).

So like... say some people's ancestors, or maybe even an entire government profited off of slavery? Would you say this privilege their children received bar them from being truly good until, say, they accept their head start and repay the children of those wrong?

psy·cho·path - a person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behavior.

so·ci·o·path - a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

Sociopaths are incapable of empathizing, and learn to mimic these behaviors to get by in life. They are not always violent, and it is a very specific diagnosis.

Psychopaths exist on a spectrum of antisocial behavior, often violent but at the very lease erratic.They are capable of empathizing, but often fail to because they don't perceive the world as we do.

You've got those backwards mate

>literally original sin
Fuck off

>muh victimless crimes
>muh occasional false conviction

All gains are ill-gotten under capitalism

now, what did you read and watch ?

>boohoo I'm too worthless to flourish in a meritocracy.
Seize the means to kill yourself comrade

I don't think anyone would call Saudi Arabia good.

So like... the entirety of the world's population?
If you want to narrow it down to currently profiting off slavery, then most of Africa and Asia?

To be honest i think someone like a BBEG would rather find a way to gain immortality and rule his kingdom forever than have a family and worse still a pretender to his title

Does that mean that a paladin wouldn't fall if he killed a son of a crime boss, even if the son wasn't a criminal?

>alignment
Ugh.

>BBEG

ugh

Walter was always a bad person, he was just looking for an opportunity.

You sure this isn't bait?
Because if not, my brother and I would like to make a bet...

>>BBEG4U

Almond status: Activated

The criminal justice system is not incapable of false positives.

It's really my only moral objection to the death penalty, there are people in prison who didn't actually do what they were convicted of.

>being this naive
For your sake I hope you never encounter real evil.

All of the wealth created by the South was destroyed in the civil war. And the debt owed to blacks was paid back when hundreds of thousands of whites died in said war to free them.

One of the PCs is Lawful Evil and has a LE devil father who used to be human. The remnants of his human psyche, which he has pushed into his subconscious, wants her and her brother to be Lawful Good. I'm not sure if he's going to eventually go crazy and rant that 'this wasn't the way things were supposed to turn out' or if he's going to have some sort of evil zen moment and truly come to terms with his alignment.

so everyone is evil forever.

i think the only way to solve this is to kill yourself

>implying the American justice system isn't a broken steaming pile of shit.

Wew lads, don't get out much, do you?

Yeah, the only condolence I have with regards to that is that I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get arrested so long as I keep my head down and at least we're not Japan.

The trope is that mobsters have a soft spot for babies and small animals, or "family"; this was supported at some point by academics. They fantasize that what they are doing is for a greater cause.

Less than 2% of the population owned slaves to begin with.

The psychologists or the mobsters?

Have a (You).

SOURCE

Yeah, that's why all tavern Milk Maids are True Neutral, right?

There is no such thing as a meritocracy, the upper classes are feeble idiots who only rule because the lower classes think you can get to a station you're born into with hard work and talent.

>the BBEG throws a homophobic fit in front of the adventurers

Replace kids with country and you have Hitler

>BBEG is actually you

You just gotta escape the circles.

Source?

Is being nice truly enough to be a good person though? Isn't being a good person about more than that, like virtue? Can we truly call a coward a good person, if he greets you with a friendly smile in prosperous times but will rat you out the moment things go sour just to save his sorry hide? Can we truly say that a nice person who tells white lies all the time is a better person than a painfully honest asshole?

Aren't they? What have they done to deserve to be called good people? Is it arrogance to assume humans are good by default, rather than self-serving? Is there any greater arrogance than assuming you're "good enough", when meaning good in a moral sense?

[UNSOLLICITED OPINIONS ABOUT ISRAEL]

>debt

Wow, you are fucking retarded

For real tho, psychologists or the mobsters?

>Is being nice truly enough to be a good person though?

Yup. This is all it takes.

White guilt, the post

>Sociopaths are made
>Psychopaths are born

That was the key difference my lecturer stated.
Whilst more prone to violent behaviour, sociopaths are still capable of empathy for select people. They can be irrantional and erratic, but ultimately still feel some degree of emotion.

On the hand, Psychopaths cannot truely empathise with anyone or anything, and often feign care instead. A psychopath is far more likely to meticulously plan out an attack on someone, and will adeptly follow society's social rules to avoid tedious conflict.

>big bad wants his son to stop being such a fucking NEET and get a god damn job

youtube.com/watch?v=F3IDhQkOanQ

Is being good to your fellow man a good thing though? We have no idea how actions one might take are seen by the universe.

You might save a little girl from a swarm of hornets only to learn she was attacking their hive and intended to do so again.
Our domestication of animals might be stopping them from evolving to enlightend beings.
What is illeagal here is encouraged somewhere else in the world.

There are too many variables to define any of our actions as TRUELY good or bad.

Not saying I disagree with you, i just like posing questions

Neutral not evil

>Is being nice truly enough to be a good person though?
Yes, user. Being a genuinely nice person is harder than you think. What you described after that question were your typical petty everyday people, and virtue doesn't change a thing, unless being truly nice is a virtue to itself.
Also,
>painfully honest asshole
>honest asshole
>asshole
You can be gentle about it, you know. Honesty does not equal brutality. More often than not it equals people swallowing their ego-s though.

Pic related, in general

This desu

I hate this whole idea that to be good you have to smite evil. In all reality being a good person isn't that glorious, it's just tedious most of the time, and a lot of the time the physical payoff isn't worth it. You won't get 5 gold doubloons for helping a little girl get her cat out of a tree, and you'll probably get scratched to shit, but it's worth it simply to do the right thing.

It's all labels, man. People who could be called good will do bad things, and vice versa. Is that coward automatically a bad person just for ratting you out if he has a family to take care of? Does the virtue of honesty somehow cancel or justify being an asshole? It's not always so black and white. Life doesn't care about how you try to chop it up and categorize it. It just IS.

Fuck I'm so high right now.

It is a trope in TV, but like all tropes it has a basis in reality.

You can do most things in life if you try hard enough. Stop blaming others for your cowardice, pussy.

The alignment system is SHIT.

The "American Dream" lie.
I see you've fallen for it too.

The sins of the father are not the sins of the son. Fuck off with that shit. Being in poverty doesn't make you a good person, nor does starting from scratch, it's just a waste of time, and fosters MORE bad shit, because people don't like living in poverty, and will do anything to claw their way out of it.

Don't kid yourself. Organized crime, especially the mafia, is extremely over-romanticized. They really don't have to be as "competent and forward thinking" as you would imagine just because more people work together to push drugs and murder people. "Honorable criminals" like you see in your crime movies very rarely exist in real life, they're almost always the sort of scum the post you're replying to describes. Sure, they sometimes live in big houses and raise a family. So do Mexican drug lords. They're almost all power and wealth addicted shitbags who have just enough planning and foresight to know how to intimidate everyone around them.

>You can do most things in life if you try hard enough.
That's only because 'most' is a bullshit word as far as actually making a point is concerned.