Warhammer 40k general. /40kg/

Noisy boi edition

>Warhammer Community news(Imperial Knight: Freeblade Join the 30th Birthday Celebrations)
warhammer-community.com/2017/10/13/imperial-knight-freeblade-join-the-30th-birthday-celebrations-oct-13gw-homepage-post-3/

>Daily Duncan Playlist
youtube.com/watch?v=yDVMINLhFAM [Open]

>GW FAQ (1.1):
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata#40k-errata

>FW FAQ (1.1):
forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Downloads#warhammer40k

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in properly converted pdf & epub, fully bookmarked and linked with in-line errata annotations
mega.nz/#F!bF0ExS4D!_XaMECn0K9HiJKUFSopJLA

>Other Megas
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
>Old Black Library Mega
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Thanks Chart-user!)
warhammer-community.com/2017/09/05/celebrate-30-years-of-warhammer-40000-top-5-squigsgw-homepage-post-3/

>Imperial Guard codex (thanks anons)
>epub
mega.nz/#!lfR2RL4Q!Hgfv6ah0Q_lo90V4VMpZ79fVhu3erKCTR8SQ-5lGJVc
>pdf
mega.nz/#!30pVCIzI!weouWfwAWkijYm0EhBaLe2_aVc0FErVOcszvwmMCc7o

First for the Angel

How are people running their Leman Russes? I'm a big fan of battle cannon, lascannon, heavy bolters but I want other people's opinions.

Starting an Eldar army. Should I build my Warlock Skyrunner with Singing Spear or keep to the witch blade?

What's a good shade for The Fang?
Also for Mechanicus Standard Grey

Is it true Malefic Lords are going to get nerfed? I feel they're the only thing that makes Chaos armies decent.

Konrad Curze did nothing wrong.
The Emperor betrayed him

They'll probably get a cost bump. Right now they're way under where they should be. 45-50 ppm would make them good but not broken.

I hope 1ksons can get those AoS Tzaangor sorcerers as a cheap fast-attack equivalent to Malefic Lords.

My mainstay is battle cannon, lascannon, HB sponsons. For dedicated anti-armor I run a Vanquisher with a lascannon, and I have an Exterminator with three HBs for anti-squishy duty. For serious hordes I prefer a pack of Hellhounds to Russes.
Really can't go wrong with Russes, though, they all have a place. The Eradicator is probably the worst of them, I don't know a situation where I'd bring one instead of another variant.

Allow me to pass the peace pipe, Angel-Cousin, so that we may exchange war stories

Skinning people is fucked up, user

I'm not sure how I feel about the vanquisher. Yeah it's a melta gun damage wise but 2 shots vs 2d6...

is it just me or is the knight porphyrion just plain better than a warhound, point for point?

Its a little worse at its dedicated anti vehicle role but costs over 33% less.

Its invul doesn't work against mortal wounds unlike the warhounds I suppose.

He's what you get if you combined a schizophrenic Batman with Freddy Krueger.
He did everything wrong

Whichever costs less points. Or just model what you like the look of and say what he has before each game

Necron and orc codices soon please.

He assisted in creating the world that haunted him his entire life he did everything wrong.

Nids and Craftworlders are upcoming

Xeno Codexes finally

a fucking men

Not really.
My uncle's shop was robbed once and he and a friend flayed the thief's hand as punishment.
Torture is only a problem if you do it agains't innocents.

Btw, the Emperor did not punished Curse for flaying people alive

He wasn't really a schizo. You know, his visions were real

Orks will, as always, be near the last Codex released.

And the Codex before Orks will be OP,
This way, the Ork release will be mediocre at best for GW to try and show restraint.

And the thing in the sky watching Perturabo was real does that make him justified for what he did.

Orks were the first Codex of 7th ed

And it turned out a shit deal, as GW quickly changed their minds as to what direction to take power levels and formations

Sisters of silence I wanna put 2 flamers and 2 sword squads in rhinos for my inquisition list any experience with them 5 flamers followed up with 5 melee seems devastating. Any experience?

Or they were the last Codex of 6th, with a 7th Edition spin

At the point where you're bringing titans and knights of that size, you stop giving a fuck about what's competitive or efficient.

Making a commissar tank. Already mounted up the commissar you get in the SC kit on the turret, what else should I put up there? Thinking about a pair of banners, one on each side. Any kits that have speakers on them I could mount on the tabk?

Primarines, specifically Intercessors, Reivers and Hellblasters, would you be better of taking two units of 5 per or one unit of 10 per?

Can someone give me a run down of the Dark Eldar HQs. 1d4chan is concentrated cringe autism. Does the 2++ on the Archon actually make him good?

Starting an EC army, with HH themes and motif.

Is 20 posessed with fabulous bill overkill?

they would footslog, but 7'' + advancing isn't that slow.

I have noise bois for days, 2 sonic dreadnoughts, and a plasma terminator squad to go along

Typically I do 5 per just because you get more power swords and troop slots used up for intercessors.

Reivers I typically do one unit of 10 if I need to conserve deep strike or elite slots but other wise two units of 5.

Hellblasters again, two units of 5 work fine if you have the HS slots but 10 otherwise.

It works until it fails the first time. It's not re-rollable either. He's pretty good but fairly squishy even with the 2++.

Right
So basically he's just another blaster?

You know, rewatching TTS and I thought of something, would you actually have a better chance of surviving your perception of the Warp if you were drunk as a skunk?

He's a good way to get extra blasters on the field for cheap (relevant to your other HQ options when filling requirements mind you), if you don't have the wyches or abominations to support a succubus or haemonculus they really aren't worth it.

Dark Eldar HQs look crummy. I guess the S8 AP 4 shooting is fair trade

The archon's shadowfield will be expected to go out if it's targeted at least 6 times. It's not a solid defense, especially when you're using a melee archon. It's best to give one a blaster and stick it with a squad of blasterborn to go tank hunting in a venom. The phantasm grenade launcher is nice.

Succubi are the best mix of killing potential and defense. Their points, attacks, and defenses are on a par with a Space Marine captain. Give one grave lotus for S6 attacks. But don't use wyches with her despite the aura, wyches are still bad this edition. Use her instead as a character killer or back-map objective grabber.

Haemonculi are buff vectors. Use them near transports, as their aura affects them thanks to the keywords on them. They are allegedly also good at character killing, but are not as safe as succubi.

Anyway, as DE, you should be focusing on darklight spam anyway with your non-HQ units.

Punisher is currently the absolute best against everything except the toughest targets. With the new rules (40 shots while moving at half or lower speed) it's capable of killing 11 ork boyz, 9 guardsmen or 4 marines out of cover per turn with the main gun only. Pask doubles that. With the new rules for overcharged plasma (1 dmg per failed overcharge hit) and free re-rolls of 1's for Cadians not moving or after "Take Aim" (since Pask can order himself/take orders again), Pask hits 97% (!!!!!!!!) of his shots. Plasma sponsons are only slightly worse at killing light infantry than hb, but kill marines in cover much, MUCH better. So take those. Front hb is also worse than a lascannon which hits 97% of the time, since 40 and 43 S5 D1 shots is not much of a difference, but a S9 AP-4 one is. Take Pask and one extra Punisher, either regular or a commander.

Demolisher with meltas and a lascannon is your "fuck you" tank against the toughest enemy units. It can easily one shot dreadnaughts and seriously damage heavier units. One is enough.

Regular LRBT's are solid, with great range and respectable damage against all targets. Damage wise, they outperform EVERY SINGLE OTHER TANK which isn't Punisher or Demolisher. Overcharged Executioners are VERY SLIGHTLY better at medium and heavy targets, but you risk taking damage. Vanquishers are WORSE at killing tanks than LRBT's. Exterminatos are worse against ALL but the lightest targets. Eradicators are a joke. So take a few LRBTs with either plasma sponsons and a lascannon or full hb - choice depends on the targets you want it to kill. Medium to heavy, take the former, light to medium, take the latter.

So a 6 tank army would be: 2x Punisher plasma las (Pask, TC), Demolisher melta las (optional TC for better hit rolls), 3xLRBT with either plasma las, 3xhb or a mix (one optional TC)

Well assuming astartes grade alcohol wouldn't kill a normal human it would probably dull your senses to the point that the warp would seem normal.

I find the Battle Cannon is better than the Vanquisher for nearly all purposes. You get 3.5 BC shots average for every vanquisher shot, and they're the same Strength.

>Vanquisher has more AP
Yes, but one extra AP isn't quite good enough to justify only one hit average on an enemy unit. Plus, many harder armored targets (Dunecrawlers, Land Raiders, Hammerheads, etc.) have a 5+ invuln save. So the extra AP ends up doing jack.

There is something to be said about 2D6 take highest damage, but that's an average of, like, 4-5 damage per unsaved attack. If I can get 3 times as many attacks to pass that same save, then I've surpassed the vanquisher. If the BC's Lower AP means I only get twice the number of shots, then they're about equal.

What isn't equal is versatility; Your battle cannons are okay to mediocre against infantry; your vanquisher is worthless against infantry.

Finally there's the potential for maximized damage with certain combo buffs. Many of the game's Tank Buffs like the rerolling random attacks, rerolling ones to hit, rerolling wounds, and so on better effect the BC over the vanquisher.

What about Annihilators and Conquerors (assuming the get the codex rule)? 5 lascannon shots seems like fun and the conqueror looks like it's a cheaper Russ with 24" less range.

>A tentacle brushed against Jenkins' leg. He didn't move.
>High above him, or alternatively below and simultaneously inside of him, daemons tore apart the worst creatures imaginable. Jenkins didn't move.
>Finally, the time came, and he retched profusely. As his stomach churned, a chorus of Nurglings surrounded him, singing the Father's praises.
>"g-g-getta fcuka away me!!" the private shouted. The Nurglings, confused, stepped backed.
>"I'ma fuckn kickkkkk ur asses, okay? I'ma, fuckin, I'ma do it."
>The daemons had no power here. In front of this epitome of human fallacy, this insurmountable obstacle, they were weak.
>"I'm gfgsdfgd a, me, need fast food." Jenkins rose to his feet and poured a disgusting cup of recaf.
>As he stared into the fuzzy, blurry clusterfuck in front of him, Jenkins unknowingly defeated the warp. Tendrils and mouths withdrew from realspace, dancing horrors dissipated into the night sky
>Jenkins pissed himself and fell asleep

Sanity check status: passed

What unit is best to acompany lucius into the fray? I figure they will be in a rhino, and will probably have an exalted champion with the unit. So that leaves 8 slots.

My options are:
Noise marine squad, 1 blastmaster, 7 sonic blasters, 1 doom siren, icon of excess.

This option is here due to the music of the apocalypse possbilities.

Melee Chosen Squad:
Melee kitted chosen w/ power axes, one special weapon (flamer?), two chosen w/ chainsword, Icon of excess

Flamer Chosen Squad:
Sergeant w/ combi flamer, 4 chosen w/ combi-flamer, chosen w/ flamer, 2 ablative chosen, no icon (perhaps?)

How do Landraiders and Hammerheads get 5+ invulns?

I saw a couple of games for Epic Armageddon on youtube today. It looks fun, why did 40k ever become the popular choice over that?

Vanquisher has the coax rule, that's the only real advantage. My tank commander rides around in one, throwing out orders and putting reliable hurt on big threats.
Granted I'm speaking with Krieg in mind, I also don't run many LRBTs in favor of Conquerors. Do regular IG not get a coax with their Vanquishers?

Not in codex. Ryza pattern is available through IA, though it has the old Grinding Assault rule.

money for GW

I can only talk about what is in the AM Codex. Never really got into Forge World or Krieg stuff so I didn't check those, sorry.

I wish the dark imperium box came with the two other bolt rifle options

Modelers buy a lot more than player.

Vanquishers would be solid anti armour if they had a "against enemy vehicles take D3 shots instead" rule. But as for now, LRBT outperforms it in absolutely everything.

People enjoy individual models over little tokens with pips on them? I've never been much into sub-20mm games or games where you have bases of miniatures representing units. I want individual models.

I put these options into battlescribe for better comparison.

I am still torn

Rules for craneblade when?

Trojan exists

That rule is crazy, crazy strong. My Krieg list runs a bunch of tanks, and I felt like the FW index was already in a decent spot. The IG codex completely blew it out of the water.
Good news though, because now I can fly under the WAAC radar with Kriegers instead of vanilla IG.

It seems like in almost all situations the battlecannon is the best option for a turret weapon. The singular exception being if you are fighting sisters of battle on a board with lots of ruins. In which case an eradicator nova cannon is better.

How the hell does anyone stop Guard now?

Less Your Dudes potential in bricks of 6mm dudes rather than discrete 28mm dudes.

Big Jobs!

The various Hellforged Dreadnoughts can use the Fire Frenzy stratagem, as they possess the Helbrute keyword, correct?

No.

Tip: Shoot it until it dies

Fire Frenzy is on the Helbrute unit, not the keyword. Check it again.

That is a spectacularly unhelpful answer. Care to elaborate as to why something with the Helbrute keyword cannot be targeted by an effect who's only restriction is "Helbrute"?

I'm pretty sure they covered that in the errata correct? That Leviathans and such could use it.

Shame his head will explode pretty much right after he wakes up.

I get alpha striked by double tap Russes turn 1 or spend all game wading through recyclable conscript blobs.

>no cover bonus for T3 units
You might have found the only actual use for Eradicator, but it's so specific it's not worh it. If you want to massacre units in, out and around cover, take a motherfucking Hellhammer.

Eradicators, Exterminators, Executioners and Vanquishers all are weaker than LRBT 99% of the time. It's versatility which makes BC a good choice for the mass Russ.

Where, precisely, do the rules draw such a distinction?

It doesn't say "units named Helbrute". The Hellforged dreads have "Helbrute" in their keyword, meaning they are Helbrutes.

Unless you're saying something having a keyword does not make it that thing, so nothing can ever qualify for stratagems that call for "Infantry" because just because you have it in your keywords doesn't mean you are that thing.

My friend challenged me to a game against my thousand sons force, and I'm kinda confused.

So codex replaces the index where relevant, but what happens to things like psychic powers? Does Ahriman only get the index power while my regular sorcerer get the full codex list?

Your choices of beating guard consist of:
1) also play Guard and outplay them
2) play Imperial soup with heavy Guard emphasis
3) somehow guess and/or collect every army in hopes that Codex-creep will continue making some other army be even better

Essentially there are no winning options, just degrees of guilt and despair.

Since Inquisitorial Battle Harem is no longer a thing and the Battle Harem part is playin 8th in easy mode.

Is there a mix of GSC and IG what would work for playing "Religion of Peace" hoping I can't get as much crap as possible inside transports along with tanks just to reduce the model count
I need some Demo charges units even if they are bad. There must be a way to make them less bad

Play on a bigger board with more terrain.

A single "double tap" LRBT kills 2 marines a turn with his BC (on average). 3 if it's a TC. Punishers kill more, but have much shorter range. It doesn't sound so bad.

Painted this guy last weekend. Really happy with my recipe for burnished gold. Hated the look of the Plastic Contemptor so I used a FW one for my Custodes.

GW did a specific errata for Tsons allowing them to use the powers from the codex.

Magnetized arms for the 30k Variant.

Or stop playing on empty tables where super shooty armies like IG have the upper hand.

I just clipped the scopes off some and ran them as normal bolt-rifles while the scoped ones counted as stalker-rifles, works fine

Who the fuck decided not to link the new thread?

It's funny that you think los denial and cover matters against guard.

2000 point manlet rage list

I think I've seen this list before.

Spam: the Spammening

boring/10 did not read

The gold looks decent, not flat and dull as fuck like almost everybody paints their Cuckstodes.

friends, countrymen, tell me your wisdom

in 8e, what is the best and most exciting way to go FAST

REALLY FAST

while SCREAMING

competitive viability fully optional, I just want to crash an entire army into another army from across the board at mach fucktillion

And fighting Mortarion in every single 2000 point deathguard list is fun?

Or 12 leman russes?

Oh neat, thanks!

>other people are pricks, so I should be a prick too

Okay, got a Tervi. Crushing claws, or scything talons?

Lads is the Hellforged predator worth it really? It seems like it could be good was wondering if any of you have any experience playing with it. If so what sort of set ups have you ran or seen ran?

Well, Harlequin jetbikes have a movement of 16'' and when Advance always add 6'' to that for a total of 22'' move. Why Harlequins you ask? Because Harlequins jetbikes are then still allowed to charge, and have assault weapons so can shoot too.

In short : muderclowns in space are hilariously fast and can still do stuff whilst going fast.

Ravenwing is pretty decent, you can struck strike to your opponent fast while screaming like a lunatic.

Im not going to bring a fun fluffy list against mortarion or Guard just to get shit on.

Then play to have no fun. Kinda defeats a big purpose of even playing though.

Ill have tons of fun throwing 8 missile lauchers and 6 lascannons into mortarion turn 1, rerolling all hits from Pedron and 1's to wound with the lieutenant

Send in the Sisters of Battle.

The legend