What do y'all think of the tales of King Arthur and his noble knights?

What do y'all think of the tales of King Arthur and his noble knights?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=USUucZVnno0
youtube.com/watch?v=ewSjRtNJ7W8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I used to like simplified versions as a kid. You know brotherhood of equal knights fighting evil, giants and monsters. Then I learned about all that incest, Lancelot cheating on his king and bff with the queen and I couldn't like it ever since.

For some reason high chivalry type factions, groups, and characters don't do much for me. I get bored quickly when that kind of stuff gets the spotlight.

I like it a lot more from an historical context. It's fun subject matter for stories about exploration and discovery.

Charlemange did it cooler.

Wasn't the point of the King Arthus saga that every knight save for Galahad was actually full of flaws that ultimately lead to their doom?

Wish Veeky Forums would shitpost more about which version of the tale was better

Galahad was cool, everyone else was bullshit.

This is your king.

I'd give her my mana ifyouknowwhatimean

The hell? Arthur meant different things for different times and regions. Gawain won the grail in the Germanic compilation that predates le Morte d'Arthur, and considering Arthur as a legendary figure dates back to 5th century as some badass that kicked the shit out of Anglos, the whole inclusion of the grail and all the knights came about as his legend was passed around all over Europe. Lancelot's creation in France and his popularity in the mythos was because he basically put courtly romance as a major entertainment trope, as in nobility sleeping with someone besides who they were arrange-married with. Tristan and Isolde shouldn't even be part of Arthur, it was originally its own story, but some scholar thought it was a good idea that sticking the king that he met as the Arthur, everyone else that retold the tale just ran with it.

The thing about oral traditions is that its inherently variable compared to written in books. The tale changes based on the audience and what the orator is trying to get at.

Anime was a mistake.

>Jeanne is the only normal one in that list

Guinevere basically exists because of some other stories of spoiled nobless cunts who do stupid shit to knights over the previous 300 years.

Excalibur is excellent.
Sword in the Stone is good.
Monty Python is great.

The Roman King Arthur fucking sucked.
The Guy Ritchie Kang Arthur fucking sucked.

>Supposedly the 'main character' of Apocrytha
>Doesn't do anything for half the season except run around and talk about how she doesn't do anything but watch
>Also for some reason she's crushing on this bishonen kid she barely knows

Maybe I'm just not into the Deepest Lore of nasu but I have no fucking clue what direction Apocrytha is supposed to be going in.

sounds like you just prefer the English cycle to the French one.

King Arthur's myth has been around since the Roman era, and as such various cultures from different regions and time periods have added to it and changed it. Think of Batman and how many different adaptations and interpretations people have done since his inception.

Chretien de Troyes invented the character of Lancelot in the 12th century for his poems, for the benefit of his courtly French audience. He (and presumably his audience) were more interested with themes of courtly love and carnal sin. I personally appreciate Lancelot, but he's basically an original character do not steal. "Ok, so, I made an original character for my King Arthur fan fiction. He's French and not English, and also he's the strongest most invincible knight who ever existed, and he's extremely handsome, and he cuckolds the King of England. Oh, he's actually a nice guy though and wears a shirt of hair to show how bad he feels about cucking the English king. He also crosses a sword bridge and gets wounds on his hands and feet like Jesus because he's basically Jesus."

English works deal more with themes of honor, loyalty, and feats of arms. The characters are also more flawed, but a common theme is overcoming human flaws with grit and valor. Gawain and the Green Knight is a good example.

>he cuckolds the King of England
>he's basically Jesus
Few insults would sting like that. Also it would make sense character was created after Norman conquest, maybe even as an insult.

First of all, nationalism wasn't a thing at the time.
Second of all, how would a French knight cucking a Celtic king in any way be an insult towards the post-Celtic Anglo-Saxon ruling class? Even if nationalism was a thing at the time, the Saxons would probably join the Franks in a hearty chortle.

Cornwell's Winter King is a pretty neat take on Arthur imo

All I know of King Arthur is that he was friends with a wizard, pulled a magical sword from a stone, paid the ultimate price for wincest, and his wife was a whore.

This is vidya not anime.

I like the welsh shit, the French shit, and Gawain's green knight and loathly lady stories. For me Arthur etc are best (or at least most distinctive) when cryptic, tragic, pious, and flawed. In that state they're probably my favorite take on these sorts of heroic characters. Followed by the Iliad. The Roland and other paladin stories are sort of a guilty pleasure.

Peredur > Lancelot

Gawain>Peredur

Japan was mistake
Couldn't you Americans just left it alone?

Did someone say King Arthur?

Owain > Gwalchmai

The Welsh tales are [badly drawn Inca peasant].
Malory is GOAT.
The only modern adaptation that's good is Prince Valiant.
Everything else shits all over itself while flailing and screaming, like a retarded baby.

As a Brit, I was brought up on them, and I love them so much that I actually have to restrict myself, as a GM, to stop myself overusing the cliches of knightly chivalry and all that. It's just such good shit.

>how would a French knight cucking a Celtic king in any way be an insult towards the post-Celtic Anglo-Saxon ruling class?
To be fair here, the English pretty much always painted Arthur as a king of England and not Romano-Celtic Britain

It only gets worse from here friend.

>What do y'all think of the tales of King Arthur and his noble knights?
it's part of our canon, ouir historical foundation of the fantasy genre. I'd also include beowulf, dietrich von bern, robin hood, siegfried, roland.

I think that Bernard Cornwell did a pretty good job at adapting it to how it would look in reality

Dietrich von Bern > Siegfried

When I was a kid, I thought the tale of Gawain and the Green Knight was creepy and pretty awesome.

Excalibur is possibly my favorite movie.

Best King Arthur coming through.

youtube.com/watch?v=USUucZVnno0

[muffled angry gurgling]

Calling that vidya is really stretching it.
Wow, so clever.

This became a sad thread. Can it be saved?

Let's talk about Balin and Balan/Knight with the Two Swords, user. Do you think Malory just forgot what he was doing with the Dolorous Stroke or did he change how he was planning to write it for some particular reason?

Nationalism didn't need to be a thing for different cultural groups to talk shit about one another

Apocrypha wasn't made by Nasu. It's basically fanfiction, and it shows

"We must have rule of law, not rule of man." (Re reason for the round table and restoring order to the land)

"Sometimes, you can only understand compassion with one another when you hurt them." (Re Lancelot, Arthur, and Guenevere)

I read several different versions back in grad school of the different tales. Knight of the cart, Morte d'Arthur, etc. All enjoyable stories but the lessons that stuck were the two above, which I'd first heard as a kid. Wonderful, if sad, observations on the human condition.

King Arthur is so underrated.

I feel like everyone immediately jumps and yell "BORING GENERIC!" hasn't actually read King Arthur.

Case in point, my players freaked out about how metal it was when I introduced a BBEG who collects his enemies beards.

I mean it's fine in the context of the story, but I can't bring myself to be all that impressed by a villain just for taking someones facial hair

This. It's not the beard on the outside that counts anyway. It's the beard on the inside.

I like that world's version of Agravain.

One of my players said it was pretty fucking metal, and the rest emphatically agreed. Say what you will, but the point remains that most people, even those that play D&D aren't as familiar with the legends as they might think. Especially those who are quick to say something is boring because it's European.

Nasu didn't write Apocrypha which explains a lot.

Honestly I like everything having to do with King Arthur. The original stories, the French fanfiction, Excalibur, Sword in the Stone, Monty Python, Fate, all of it

Even Nasu's writing is pretty subpar besides worldbuilding.
The best Type-Moon works are those done by already established and good authors.
Like Fate/Zero and Fate/Strange Fake.

He was at least partially involved with those ones though. Really what you're saying sounds like same bullshit every fate secondary says. It's fine if you don't want to read the VN, but I think you're severely underestimating the reason that shit is a franchise in the first place. FSN isn't as suited to being an anime as Zero is, but I think it's a much better story

I hated Zero's story because Urobuchi's own influences and his inability to not be edgy affected the narrative too much, and I think he hasn't written a good story since Saya no Uta.

I read the VN and found it atrociously boring for a vast majority, sorry I dislike SoL.
Also, I was referring to the F/Z novel, not the anime.

>Even Nasu's writing is pretty subpar besides worldbuilding.
If you read it in english, I have to note that the translation we have for the VN is extremely poor and not a good representation of the actual prose.

Exciting British legends

Ruined by French fanfiction

Madoka's great though.

Nasu wrote Fate/Zero, he came up with all the major plot points and characters, then told Gen to fill in the gaps.

So you're saying you read the VN, disliked it, then read the prequel LN? The fuck?

It's really not. The idea of "let's take this innocuous thing for kids and make it dark by exploring it from angles that hasn't been done before" ignores not only that Mahou Shoujo has does this before, but that Mohiro Kitoh made his entire career out of "the dark side of stuff for kids" with works like Narutaru and Bokurano.

I'll agree with you on that, Saya is my favourite work of his.
I enjoyed F/Z for what it was though, an addition and backstory explainer. I just wish Kariya and Lancelot were expanded on more.

Fair enough, I guess a novel just goes into translation better than a VN.

Fair enough, I just found the ridiculous amount of SoL filler to be a slog, which I suppose is why UBW and HF were a bit more interesting to me.

Nah, I love the Fate universe, I just hate a lot of the material that makes it up. I guess you could say I'm tsundere for it, my online handle is even based off of it. I just find actually going through the VN to be a slog. Mostly just because I hate the VN format and would rather a book anyday.

>I'll agree with you on that, Saya is my favourite work of his.

Now imagine if instead of Gen being the Nitro+ guy Nasu got to write Zero, we got Jin Hanegaya instead. It would be so gloriously chuuni that the world would implode on itself.

After reading Fate/Zero and Saya, a friend recommended me Kikokugai.
That was a fucking ride and a half, I'll tell you what.
Urobuchi's a weird fucking dude.

I like King Arthur's legends for a few aspects, majorly the magical weapons. A few of the characters are cool too

Just remember that this King Arthur had a threesome with a Ginger Sword Autist and a Tsundere Magus.

>wonder why we almost never talk about Arthurian myths
>half of the thread is "anime XD" posts

I've always liked Jin's work more, he's utterly ridiculous when it comes to escalation. Literally every time on /a/ that I tell people that Demonbane is a story that starts where the most powerful attack ever takes out a few city blocks, and ends with the MC going through a time portal with the villain into the past and then piledriving him from orbit so hard that it causes the extinction of the dinosaurs, no one believes me except those that read it.

Excuse me sir, I counted and it's a third at best.

Excalibur is the most metal Arthurian film ever and I don't think it's possible that anyone will top it.

I never got around to reading Demonbane, simply because of my distaste for VNs, but it wouldn't surprise me.

It's the best Arthurian movie of all of them, though I will admit having grown up with Disney's Sword in the Stone that one is the Movie I watch the most.

When these things stay on topic it's usually just someone getting butthurt about the french at best anyway.

My only problem with SitS is that it's kinda boring

Everyone always makes Excalibur and the sword in the stone the same thing. It's quite annoying

As an 8 year old kid, its messages are pretty stirring.

Demonbane has different final forms, actually. Two of them from what I remember, Elder God Demonbane and War God Demonbane. Elder God Demonbane has the ability to summon every instance of Demonbane that is, will be and never was from every possible timeline in every possible universe, all at once, and they all deliver Demonbane's ultimate attack at the same time. War God Demonbane, on the other hand, can grow in size, infinitely, to the point that it grew so big it popped the universe it was in and started pushing up against other universes.

>all this sperging about an essentially unrelated weeb cartoon
Christ. Otakus were a mistake.

Jesus, stay on topic,

>unrelated
user, I...

Fateshit was a mistake. Just read this fucking post and consider the kind of impact ingesting this shit. I can't lump everyone who likes Chinese cartoons in with this level of why fucking bother.

Describe how the fuck you go from the Arthurian legends to focusing on Nasu's work. Enlighten us on the process user: how was this masterpiece shaped?

The distinction is quite confusing, to be fair. It might well be the same sword repaired, the same sword period or two different swords, depending on particular interpretation

Yes, this cranks my blanks too.

Interpretation isn't really the right word, it's more a question of author if anything. Anyway, Malory's Morte is pretty much the de-facto standard edition of the stories, and in that the swords are unambiguously two different ones. He gets the stone-sword out of the stone, big surprise there, breaks it on King Pellinore, and then Merlin takes him to get Excalibur from the Lady of the Lake.

>tfw a weaboo eroge-series is one of the few popular arthurian inspired works that remember that excalibur is not in fact the sword arthur pulled from stone

The anglos loved king Arthur though.

When he collected their beards, did he just cut the hair off, did he scalp them, or did he take their entire lower jaw?

Movie wise, the Mists of Avalon is my personal favorite. But my god, the book series it's based off of is horrible.

What's the name of that Arthur movie where Merlin's girlfriend gets trapped behind a magical rock wall by the evil Queen of the Fey until she's an old woman? If it's as good as I remember when I watched it as a little kid then it might top Mists of Avalon for me.

Excalibur or Monty Python and the Holy Grail witch is better?

I lost respect when I heard Lancelot nutted in Arthur's wife.

And you didn't lose respect for Arthur for nutting in his sister?

this. His best series desu.

Its worth reading for its satisfying portrayal of that prick Lancelot alone.

I loved this movie. Fuck the haters, and the soundtrack is awesome.

youtube.com/watch?v=ewSjRtNJ7W8

I kinda dug KnK, but that had a big advantage of being largely self-contained plotwise and actually had an ending.

Excuse me, coming through

>besides worldbuilding
WHAT IF

WE DID POKEMON

BUT INSTEAD ITS MYTHICAL HEROES

AND THEY'RE ALL GIRLS

OH YEAH AND THEY NEED MY SEMEN TO LIVE

Top tier world building mixed with Nasu and Takeuchi having good grasp of Arthurian legends desu.

Frankly, it's a bit basic but a fun take anyway

Kai > Lancelot

I don't know about metal but the 1998 miniseries with Sam Neill as Merlin is my favourite Arthurian film.