A knight of the realm approaches your character, asking for help. A year ago, at a party...

A knight of the realm approaches your character, asking for help. A year ago, at a party, he took in a contest of trading of blows, one struck by him now, and to be returned a year later by a mysterious stranger. Not liking the stranger's haughty attitude, he thought to gimmick the "game" by chopping off the stranger's head. He was astonished to see the stranger calmly pick his head back up, and walk out of the castle, promising to return the blow in a year's time.

The end of the year is fast approaching, and he doesn't know what to do. He's willing to owe your character a favor, or to speak well of him in the court, if you can help him.

What does your character do?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=niP-uHBg-pU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ask him what possible good he expected to come from such a contest.

The story seems pretty obvious, desu. If this guy can't be killed by having his head cut off, what else can you do but be honorable and hope he's merciful?

I'd advise the knight of the realm to stand tall and accept his fate. He agreed, on his honor and in public, to this contest. That he made an unwise choice in attempting to get out of the contest via killing the other man is unfortunate but karma happens. The best solution for the knight is to salvage his honor, set his affairs in order, and meet the stranger on the field of honor. With luck, the stranger will be merciful and not take the knight's head after seeing his bravery and honorable action. Otherwise, well, I hope you had a good life.

LG. Without honor, what do you have? The Knight has to take the blow.

He'd help him find a way to survive the blow though, maybe an enchantment that would let him survive it the same way the stranger had.

All in all, that sounds like a really neat encounter and a way to have an interesting npc come about.

Find the guy’s house and enter a game of exchanging gifts with him. And then don’t puss out and not hand over his wife’s immortality girdle at the end, you knob.

Seriously Gawain, get your shit together.

" You messed with the Green Knight ? That's your own problem to deal with, not mine !"

1. Visit his house.

2. Give him a gift.

3. Make sure you don't steal from him unintentionally.

Gawain a worst

he should honor his word and die

That's what happens in the 12th Century story this is based off of. Except the knight gets a little cut because he fooled around a tiny bit with the other knight's wife.

Marry his girl

I am a knight, son of the duke, why should I give a fuck about this dumb joke of a noble?

>Sir Gawain
>dumb joke of a noble
>literal example of knightky perfection on earth
Okay kiddo.

There is naught to be done for him except prayer and hope. This stranger is an agent of mystical power, immune to harm, and extolling judgement on the man's own hubris and violent intent. I suggest he make peace with the situation, settle his worldly affairs into order, and make the efforts needed to extol himself of the sins of this life, before meeting God with a purified heart and a clear conscience.

That or sacrifice his progeny to be granted the power to defend himself from his adversary and then some. The Religion my Cleric follows is Dualistic and both paths are valid.

Let him reap what he's sown.

>bitter peasant-born mercenary

Tough choice. On one hand fuck him and fuck all n*bility. Not helping him means one less n*bleman, and they won't be able to blame the commonfolk for this one.

But on the other hand, helping him might get me land and knighthood of my own.

Probably end up helping him.

Fucking paupers and peasants. If my noble found out sir headchopper was trading favors out of his fear to get due retribution id ruin his reputation

"hey, we got some people we want off our backs too, mainly prisoners of war, we could set them up as a double, and get you out free! you may need a slight change of appearance though, and a new name, if you want, you can join our crew!"

>got his king killed because of autism

Call him a dumb cunt for accepting in the first place and recommend he make peace with his loved ones and his deity of choice.

>not whopping the strangers ass by sucking his dick

Damn son. Looks like you got tricked by the devil. Here, take this pumpkin. Now you wait for that Devil in a darkened room, with your head tucked into you shirt and the pumpkin where your head should be. Make sure to scream real loud when he hits it so he thinks you're dead, and for god sake think next time before taking foolish bets.

>An arrogant nobleman is about to be decapitated
Give me one reason not to celebrate.

My thoughts exactly.

You ever notice how most people who get tricked by the devil are shitheads who deserve it?

Absolutely.

... you tried to murder someone for a perceived slight and you have the balls to come to me when he promises to return the favour?

I'll revive you afterwards, but then you're going to stand trial for attempting murder on this mysterious gent. The law DOES still apply to knights, you know.

offer to do my best to insure that the stranger can not chop his head off, in return for material wealth.

I then chop his head off and burn it
wizards, no seance of right and wrong

Take your licks like a man.

wait for the stranger to turn up to claim his head
and see if he's open to bartering

"you have a fair claim on the knights neck"
"what can I offer you to relinquish that claim"

alternately
smells like a revenant to me
clearly we just need to engage in a scooby doo-esc game of keep away till it times out

alternately-alternately
enter a game of exchanging gifts, turn into a fly and sting the shit out of him?
or am I muddling my story's up
no wait I buy his neck and demand the stranger take his blow without damaging my property

It's Not!January, you fucking idiot.

Easy solution, since the stranger sounds like a commoner. If I were the knight, I would request that the king have his men capture the stranger and execute him for the crimes of striking a member of the second estate and possible witchcraft.

Then grease a few palms and arrange him to be burned at the stake.

Go to your liege lord and petition him for the most dangerous mission he needs done. When the year is up, you are a dead man. You fell for a trick by some kind of devil or fairy creature, and you are not getting out of it.

So in the meantime, seek to preserve your honor by dying as a knight should in the duty of your lord. If you die in service to the kingdom, you at least died for a good cause instead of due to your own stupidity. And should you succeed in your dangerous tasks, you have done some good with your life to be worthy of remembrance before you lose your head.

Tell him he is a lucky son of a bitch. The stranger gave him an important life lesson and a full year to fuck around. He could have wasted 4 years and possibly the rest of his life by getting a useless BA in English Language And Literature and live to suffer his mistake until he dies. Instead, now he has a full year to go study some useful shit like engineering and die while being content with himself. Oh and tell him to fuck the stranger's wife if he ever gets the chance to do it.

Yes, I am a salty literate motherfucker.

>hellspawn gunslinger
>"Have you tried facing him at high noon? Makes it fairer."

Okay. I promise to help him, and tell him to act like nothing is amiss.

When the day comes, I''ll sneak my way up, and then sleight of hand to replace the stranger's blade with a harmless rubber sword mid swing, and then switch it back immediately after the blow is struck before he has a chance to inspect his weapon.

The knight may be bruised, but he should certainly survive the blow. The stranger will likely be baffled and upset, but he was only promised one blow and one blow is what he got.

I know it sounds like a stupid plan, but this isn't the first time I've done this and I can tell you from experience than it works like 90% of the time. The other 10% involved a dude with super strength who splatted a guy to death even with a balloon axe, but I don't hold myself responsible for that.

It's simple. You meet with the other man upon the appointed day. You declare that you are almost ready to have your head chopped off, but you need to do one last thing first. Then you pull out your dick.

>Accusing someone of witchcraft
>In medieval Europe
Have fun being burned at the stake

Point the knight to the nearest peasant and tell him to "convince" a peasant to play the game in his stead instead.

Ah, the old "Green Knight" strategy.

Clearly, you need to go on an epic quest to learn more of the ancient religion that preceded Christendom to your fair kingdom.

Alternatively, fake head.

He didnt fool around, Gawain was not about that.
His problem was that he attempted to cheat to save his own life.
The best part is that GK is all man dont sweat it, wanting to live and not die is fine, I dont blame you, turn that frown upside down and Gawain is super embarrassed and GK just laughs harder.

Attempt to negotiate on his behalf, but if the negotiations fail, tell him it's time to pay the piper.
I'm a good guy, but you pay your debts, and at best, the knight tried to straight up murder another man in a friendly contest.

typical "accept your punishment yadda yadda"
Of course, if he accepts his fate and learns his lesson the other guy might spare him, but I'm not gonna tell the knight that.

I am still gonna ask for payment though.

Tell him to stay true to his word and face his destiny like a true knight.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=niP-uHBg-pU

>hands him a hoe
well don't just stand there like a rust bucket. You can tell your story while you help me with these acres.

Now, what's your name again fella?