Are Hobgoblins just big Goblins? What are they? Are they just a more advanced form of Goblins in the Evolutionary scale?

Are Hobgoblins just big Goblins? What are they? Are they just a more advanced form of Goblins in the Evolutionary scale?

Other urls found in this thread:

mangakakalot.com/chapter/read_berserk_manga_online/chapter_139
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

In the fairy folklore of the British Isles, the prefix hob- in a creature's name generally meant that it was smaller and friendlier than other similar characters. Thus a goblin would generally be bigger and meaner than a hobgoblin

D E P E N D S
O N
T H E
S E T T I N G

But really whatever you want OP. If Hobgobs are bigger they could be more primitive. We're not bigger than gorillas after all.

Read the fucking book.

In my setting Hob Gobbo's are "Normal" Goblins while "common" Goblins are a degenerative version of Hob's that Hob's keep around for slave work.

"Hobnailed boots" equates to "all-purpose shitkickers" though

in DnD Hobs are usually more civilized than Gobs and Bugbears

Sort of like really angry humans

Depends on setting.

>goblin slayer
Ugh

I personally use the Beyond the Wall take on goblins and just fluff it as developmental stages that get atrophied if the goblin isn't fed specific things. A goblin is the average grunt of the group. A starved goblin is a kobold, stuck as a childlike slave half the size of a regular gobbo. An orc is a goblin raised on human flesh that has lived for long enough to outgrow its peers. A bugbear is an orc that has cannibalized enough orcs to become a patriarch.

You're right to feel this way, but you still post like a fag

And hobnails are smaller nails. Your point?

>Are Hobgoblins just big Goblins? What are they? Are they just a more advanced form of Goblins in the Evolutionary scale?

See the following infograph.

It means they prefer fucking monk pussy with boots on.

its pretty realistic

Is Goblin Slayer the BBEG of Veeky Forums mangas?

>Goblin Slayer
>realistic

triggered

Tolkein got the scale of hobgoblins confused, and this snowballed from there. Hobgoblins were supposed to be just a step above a gnome. Use an old iron pot as whole body armor, size.

>Is Goblin Slayer the joke stool of Veeky Forums mangas?

Yes

Every time I see more of this manga I get triggered more.

What the fuck is even his setting?

Why the fuck would someone labeled as a "barbarian" fall for such a trick in such a violent and brutal world as what's been established in Goblin Slayer?

Manga ending felt really lazy, like the author had run out of ideas and said fuck it, epic battle time.

>Why the fuck would someone labeled as a "barbarian" fall for such a trick in such a violent and brutal world as what's been established in Goblin Slayer?
Because he let his Emotions get the Better of him. They're lovers.

Like you've never seen a player do something mind numbingly idiotic for the sake of "heroism". Use your brain. Barbarian HERO rescuing a woman. Hero is synonymous with high grade cannon fodder.

Same argument that women shouldn't be put into military combat units. The men will be put into retarded situations because of instinct and socio-cultural upbringing.

You want realistic, go with Grimgar Fantasy and Ash. World is out and out mean.

See, the problem is PCs\'s forget that every race, every monster, even badguys, have their "Heroes".

Those blessed by fate or the Gods to have the power to do great things and break the rules, kick logic to the curb.

A barbarian HERO dropped his guard around a Goblin HERO.

Around Gobs, never relax.

"With Green Skins Mind Your Shins" or somesuch?

While we are on the subject, what are some good Veeky Forums related or inspired manga? Berserk, Lodoss, and Vinland Saga are pretty obvious, but what else is out there?

I think Veeky Forums likes dungeon meshi

Lodoss is overrated. The original story is pretty boring, and the later tv series was kind of bad.

If it was realistic, GS would have died in CH2.

Don't corner me on this one, far too damn many read and forgotten. Grimgar is a solid one. Some of the less self-insert power fantasy "isekai" (reborn in a new world) can be solid as well. Overlord can be good for a laugh. Lodoss has a same world different location adventure comedy spinoff, Rune Soldier Louie. Fire any of the ones ya know and like into mangaupdates and look at the similar works listings for a decent start.

Lodoss is based on the campaign log "real play record" of a !notdnd campaign. When ya know that, it makes more sense.

I knew that, and it makes sense. I still think it's bad. I mean if I thought being a real play record made something good I would also point out Chaos Dragon, as that's a bunch of well known names in the anime/manga/whatever industry's replay made into a show, but I also wasn't a fan of that one (though for completely different reasons)

The !notdnd in question is called "Sword World"

Considering the beginning was super lazy...

You're right, it really needs more rape these days. The manga's been getting soft.

I read something somewhere that the goblin slayer himself was basically munchkin specced with goblins as his favored foe and everything balanced entirely on killing em. Something about him breaking in setting universe rules. Anyhow, fuck the story, whole thing seems to just be his armor design, and killing goblins.

Absolutely.

Not sure how Veeky Forums related it is, but Otoyomegatari is pretty fun

Yeah, and "using a loved one to fool you" is the oldest trick in the book. Someone from the most savage parts of a brutal setting would have experienced that and seen that.

What the fuck? I thought I was looking at a character in a world, not a player controlling a character.

Unless you are trying to say that the author has as much knowledge of their setting as the average player does?

>Drifters
An isekai, except the heroes are not highschooler but war veterans from various era. Reading it really feel like an RPG session with the GM trying to keep up with the stuff the players make up. Deliciously grimdark.

>GATE - JIETAI KARE NO CHI NITE
ATGM vs Dragons. And curbstomping romans with tanks. Surprisingly, current real world technology meet fantasy is underwhelmingly represented in mangas, and this is one of the few serialized one.

What kind of retarded /pol/-bait answer is this?

You honestly think that years of experience in fucked up situations doesn't trump knee-jerk reactions?

Sauce ?

Don't you already know?

What is this trash rant you are going on? Are you trying to ignore nonsense hurpburpgrimderp by just spamming the word "hero"?

Are you forgetting that "hero" is a title you slap onto someone after they pulled shit off?

Man on a Ship

If he knew, why would he ask?

Beserk

>I read something somewhere that the goblin slayer himself was basically munchkin specced with goblins as his favored foe and everything balanced entirely on killing em. Something about him breaking in setting universe rules.

Sort of, but it was only after having a goblin-related tragedy.

That'd be from Berserk as I recall. Forget the chapter number.

They did get off the boat.

>Man on a Man
Fixed

>Berserk
>Lodoss
>Vinland Saga
>Dungeon Meshi
>Grimgar
>Overlord
>Otoyomegatari
>Drifters
>Gate
none of those are good though

All of those are borderline Veeky Forums

>Gunka no Baltzar
Very underrated. It's "Reasonable MC : The manga". No super heroes. No magic. Only the clash of nations, the blood of humans, balls of steels.

>Bokkou
>Historie

Most of the time, they are usually the setting's concept of the "Evil Lawful Military Race". Like how their Orc brethren are often used as the setting's "Evil Lawful Barbarian Race."

So in most popular settings, they often serve as an organized and aggressive military antagonist force in the world.

Wow much insight 10/10. Please bring us your light with your superior patrician taste

>mfw it's boku no pico

Chapter number. Don't remember the scene nor the girl. Berserk is so slow that you forget about the plot.

>state obvious truth
>duhhhh it's bait
Why are you like this?

What are you even saying?

Here is your spoonfeeding. mangakakalot.com/chapter/read_berserk_manga_online/chapter_139

Samurai goblins

Not sure if it's exactly Veeky Forums in particular, but I've really enjoyed Golden Kamuy.
It's set in gold rush era Hokkaido, and it's about an ex-soldier trying to find a bunch of escaped convicts with tattoos of a map to a lost cache of gold.
But there's various groups after the gold too, a good read all in all.

>The virgin black bear
>The Grizzly Chad

They probably didn't really understand what they were talking about and just assumed meaning from association.

Everyone in the setting besides the main character and secondaries graced by their mc aura have "it" level blinders to the dangers around them for narrative convenience but without the in-universe justification.
This is actually a common problem in manga, especially isekai, where everyone is unbelievably ignorant and naive of everything around them so that the most basic ideas and tactics from the mc can be treated as genius revelation.

Well, at least in my setting they're the largest snd most savage of goblinkind. You've got goblins/gremlins/kobolds which are fairly clever if lacking in common sense, then orcs which are less creative and highly militant, and finally hobgoblins which throw boulders before wading into melee to pick you up and chew your face off.

>First panel
>She's dripping wet

You must be new here.

Didn't most top tier adventurers admit they don't do Goblin quest due to the High-Risk low reward?

In hindsight, does anyone ever report back after a successful goblin quest about how they either found a few dead parties on the ground or how they found this spiffy gear looted from said dead parties' corpses? Surviving noobs should come out pretty well equipped.

Isn't it goblin geneseed ?

>Evolutionary scale
Ugh.

He's baiting but for the most part he's right.
Only early Berserk was good, and it's been literal decades since then
Vinland Saga was good, but eternal farm arc
Dungeon Meshi is mediorce, it's only liked because appealing art style, relatively unique premise and not being outright bad.
Grimgar is shit, only watched a few episodes of the anime though
Overlord is shit, it's not a good fantasy nor story. Only read if you want power fantasy.
Otoyomegatari has nice art, haven't read it though
Drifters is...okay. Greatest crime is I think the MC is OC donutsteel despite the premise? Can't remember, but he certainly feels that way.
Gate is outright terrible.

>Only early Berserk was good, and it's been literal decades since then

No, because the setting is warped around the MC. No one else has experience with goblins, who are the only enemies in the setting who use tactics, and so no one comes back successful aside from the MC.

In setting, this is how goblins reproduce. There are no female goblins, they just use the endless stream of female adventurers that they turn into rape toys to have giant broods of new goblins.

Last time Berserk was good was..tower of conviction? And even that was only a high point after a downturn.
Basically berserk started to downslide when witch loli was introduced and died on the boat.

does she get raped

>Depends on the setting
Ugh

They take village woman most of the time

With her boots on.

i imagine the girl who pissed herself does too

sounds like a dull manga

The piss girl doesn't get raped because the cockblocker MC shows up. Disappointing.

So this is basically just babby's first edgelord trash for people too pussy to go and read actual rape/abuse/bad end doujins huh?

No, it's for those who want to see a D&D session go wrong in every way.

That makes it even stupider if goblins are apparently such a huge threat that they kill low-level adventurers in droves, but the higher level ones that know this don't warn people at all.

Like, you'd think the concept of 'goblins are duplicitous rapists' would be pretty common knowledge in a world where that's true rather than everyone assuming they're just tiny dumb cannon fodder like they just finished playing a JRPG.

Like, playing a JRPG is the only way you'd really assume a goblin was 'weak' aside from it being short or small. But if something is small and still kills people by the dozen, you catch on that it's dangerous.

It'd be like a world where people just assume snakes are this harmless tube thing because it has no legs, rather than being rightfully feared for being sneaky, venomous, and inspiring a bunch of symbolism and mythological tales the world over for how venomous and tricky they are.

>but the higher level ones that know this don't warn people at all.
Most of the high level ones don't know either, since as soon as they go up against goblins they get massacred too.

Kinda making the whole "gob = weak" view a bit weird.

That's beside the point and is just another case of nonsense for narrative convenience.
If goblins are stealing towns-worth's of women and killing farmers and animals and adventurers then the rewards would necessarily increase proportionally.
Sure frontier towns might not have as much wealth or government support but they still have a basic sense of self-preservation and goblins specifically being ignored over other creatures regardless of the damage they do happens solely to create the circumstances for goblin autist to be significant.
Don't get me wrong, goblin slayer isn't really that bad a case compared to average isekai but its totally guilty of it. I'd also blame it on some of the common video game rpg tropes like with guild ranks and all that.

I actually kinda like the basic concept of low-level monster being underestimated and ignored by adventurers as not worth the effort and causing trouble for average joe villagers with the bad luck to not be a starting village for low level heroes but the execution is crap. imo it would work much better with the villagers themselves banding together to deal with shit and learning the hard lessons that should be obvious like in the manga.

Are you counting the steel party? Because they were pretty fucking stupid to begin with.

That makes it even worse, since apparently nobody has put the pieces together when a high level party says 'oh yeah, we're gonna go kill all these goblins' and then they just never return. Where did everyone's basic ability to reason go?

If goblins kill every single adventurer ever, then how are people not aware that they're super fucking dangerous? Not only that, but they're dangerous primarily because people underestimate them. How do people see them as weak when nobody has fought a goblin and lived to say 'yeah, those are weak'?

They're perceived as weak by everyone but the MC because everyone but the MC is required by the plot to be retarded. The whole point is to fap to female adventurers being raped, tortured, and killed, and then fap to the MC winning because he's a genius in that he wears a helmet.

aside from a few good reaction images its pretty bad, like really bad, author shoulda just done rape doujins because its clear that its all he really wanted to do (and I consider rape doujins to be shit, amongst others, so I cant speak to the quality on that end)

"Old Hob" as a synonym of "Old Nick" occurs in certain dialects and regional lores ...

The top tier goblins are challenges for Silver ranks too. In flashbacks, we see gobs kill various seemingly strong people.

It's just classic "make MC seem intelligent by making everyone else retarded" shit writing.