The humans built too greedily, too high

The humans built too greedily, too high.

Other urls found in this thread:

scp-wiki.net/scp-312
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Some eldritch space horror floating by grabbed on and climbed down?

Genesis 11:1-9
11 Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As people moved eastward,[a] they found a plain in Shinar[b] and settled there.

3 They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”

5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. 6 The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

8 So the Lord scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9 That is why it was called Babel[c]—because there the Lord confused the language of the whole world. From there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

They brought down a demon that was pinned to the sky. We used to have an empire now all we can do is sigh, while outside the walls the forests burn and fry.

What a dick

>The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them.

This is one of my favorite parts of the Bible, right up there with Job 40:15.

Snow Crash?

Dwarves kill themselves by digging too deep. Their greed unleashed something horrible.

Elves killed themselves by being too close to nature. They didn't stop an outbreak of elvish cordyceps or something like that.

I like the idea of the human apocalypse being related to technological growth or in a more traditional fantasy setting; urbanity. Imagine the cobblestone of a city rising to swallow its residents, becoming more hungry and powerful as it does. The city's walls move in to crush victims, and it begins to lay its own roads and build its own foundations; the buildings become more mad and crazed as they go. Or humans trapping themselves in a virtual reality nightmare.

As for Orcs, they probably just kill everything until there is nothing left to fight and hobbits don't have apocalypses because they're the only ones smart enough to just stay home.

>Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other

Go home God, you're drunk.

Guess what lordy? We are doing it all over again.

The only Eldritch horror thing is gonna be us when we Capture the squishy fuck and reverse-engineer it's body to make bio-space ships to invade the rest of the fucking galaxy with.

yah don't tell what to do Gabriel! Now get my son and tell him that i need to shove 'im into a womb.

I had an alternative idea for a tower of Babel story kind of deal, where a wizard uses dark magics to transform a city of people into giant hands that combine together into one even bigger hand that tries to reach up into the sky to touch heaven. I thought it would be a pretty creepy gruesome take on the Babel tower.

Man, we can’t even cure cancer. Best case scenario we might learn that it’s tasty with a side of guacamole.

I don't think we can cure cancer chemically, we need nanomachines son. The future of medicine.
>why medicate sickness when you can go right in and murder it?

Dwarves kill themselves by digging too far down
Humans kill themselves by soaring too high up

Le humanity fuck yeah XD
Upboated!

I wouldn't be so sure. If we can make a breakthrough by completely deleting HIV from a human cell, it proves that anything is possible, science is always moving forward, it's just a matter of time till we find that missing piece.

>Job 40:15
I like this part. But the point is lost when people try to conflate the behemoth with an animal or the Leviathan with a whale.

Or you know, we just run ourselves to the ground.

There are a lot of things that might run humanity into the ground. Cancer is not one of them.

Besides, medicine is advancing at the greatest pace ever, in ways that few thought possible. We seem to have breakthroughs and innovations every few weeks. Nobody even knows what the future of medicine will look like.

>Cancer is not one of them
That's not what i meant.
By the looks of things we are heading to a future of overpopulation, insufficient resources and collapse.

Nobody can have fun on MY watch

I fucking hate those one-sentence theads that go from nowhere to nowhere.

>HFY fags still exist out of 40k guard threads and Deus Vult bait

Oh man.

too loftily, you mean

The heavens are just as hostile as any hell, after all. Their inhabitants just so happen to have better PR, which makes them far more dangerous.

>future of overpopulation
Is only a problem of distrubition, we can feed 12 billion people. Problem is we waste to much.
>insufficient resources
That's true, but if we can make fusion power our energy future, than we have this problem no more
>collapse.
Eh, compared to the Cold War or the 90s we live in a golden age of peace. Granted, the numbers of wars has gone up in the last years, but the numbers are still smaller compared to the conflicts of the 90s.

>Job
Yeah so I wrecked your entire life but it was just a social experiment that the devil thought up

Basically God decided to be a dick just to make a point, and the take-away message here is supposed to be that he's good and just?

It's Old Testament, the takeaway message is that he's God and he does what he fucking wants, so start praying right the fuck now.

They awoke a wonder of light and ice.

And made a super neat space elevator, making space exploration cheap

A large chunk of the book of Job is words words words to the effect of that god is strong and therefore shut up.

That's not the point, the story is fundamentally about Job, and the nature of "Good Men."

Remember that Job cannot see the cause of his misfortune, and presumably the writer didn't get YHWH on the phone and ask him about this obscure incident either. Rather God and the Devil serve as framing devices for the story.

The point of the story is that a good man, no matter what misfortunes befall him, does not have an excuse to become wicked, to sin, or to do evil. The story is a refutation of the claim that what separates good men from evil men is misfortune and sorrow. It is a statement that good men cannot be broken so long as they retain their will to be good, and thus that you, the reader, have no excuse to be wicked no matter what misfortune befalls you.

The fact that God's actions are exceedingly cruel is sort of besides the point, he makes it alright in the end or whatever I guess, but the idea is that no matter what evil descends upon you, nothing and nobody can take your moral core away from you. You can only give it up yourself.

When your fun involves being a obnoxious HFY fuckwad, yeah.

And you're not excused for being a shitty person if you're living in shitty circumstances.

I saw the traveler make his way toward the monolith,
That thin gash amidst the clouds;
An open seam between heaven and earth that eluded the Eye of God.
Or perhaps it had not; perhaps it beckoned from one realm
To the other, wedded And ruled as one;
For look how clean it splits the horizon 'twain, absorbs it,
Makes it Strange,
An indomitable beam,
A tower of heaven.
— Journal of an unknown traveller

That's what he said, yes.

Yes, precisely. The framing of it reinforces what would later become a New Testament theme, that those who are virtuous in dire times are the MOST virtuous of people, because it is easy to be virtuous when you are comfortable, but difficult when you are uncomfortable.

It's actually one of my favorite stories in the Old Testament. One might go so far as to say that it is the single most important story, for it contains a sort of meta-moral lesson: There is no excuse to be immoral. No amount of justification or whatabouting or couldashoulda will change sin to righteousness.

Just wait until the European race wars erupt. It's not likely the shitskins will leave by just asking nicely once we get to that point.

>hurr durr you can reasonably ask someone to leave the country they were born in based on the color of their skin
Don't make me dig up that greentext about why /pol/tards are the new furries again.

>It's not likely the shitskins will leave by just asking nicely once we get to that point.

No they'll leave as winter kicks in and they die from lack of vitamin-D and shelter

Oh, it's alright because they're anchor babies and can do no nuffin' yeah
They're insolent violent criminal fuckwits almost to the last. Not to mention having such touchy egos that you can't talk to them like you do to anyone else without a risk of them aping out with the whole wallabi horde. It's not a personal problem because I'm going insane and carry something spiky around with me, but I guess we should just accept this and all the terrorism that's here to stay huh fuccboi :^)

Maybe I just care about my country and Europe than you do, shitdick; don't talk back like that and post your greentext.

>They're insolent violent criminal fuckwits almost to the last.
Generalisations are bullshit, and we don't deport criminals either way.

>I'm going insane and carry something spiky around with me
Hi there, you violent criminal fuckwit.

I wasn't excusing myself or asking for your opinion here.

May heaven grant you fortune.

I don't give a shit what you were doing. I gave my opinion and I guess the violent criminal fuckwit read it.

I'm satisfied.

Earth can support a population of roughly 20 billion humans if every nation was as capable of supporting industrial agriculture.
The biggest problem, if it actually exists, is the depletion of phosphorus reserves. Without that, mass produce production plummets and mass starvation awaits. Phosphorus recycling isn't that great.
As yet, it is unclear if the world's phosphorus supply will even deplete in the next fifty years or next thousand years.

But Job does break. He eventually gets tired of the shit god puts him through and starts complaining.
At which point god (in the guise of his friend) yells at him for several chapters and then (since he actually lost the bet with the devil) gives a new home and family to Job, as if people are replaceable.

It is possible to escape the self loathing

>yfw Nimrod was one of the first guises of the Emperor

That's most of the Old Testament honestly. And that's why Jesus came down and gave us the New Testament so we don't have to fear God in the Old Testament way.

No, too high. They were really fucked up while they were building and didn't observe proper safety precautions.

Report and ignore, user, report and ignore.

Shit, he was also a child of the fallen watchers...Emperor confirmed for fifth Chaos god???

I prefer it to be like the Jaghut from Malazan. Nothing destroys the humans but themselves. They expand until there's nothing left to expand into, and then collectively decide the entire thing was a grand mistake and go back to pointless arguing because it's simpler and more fulfilling. You don't have to contemplate the horror of your existence when you're busy contemplating how best to insult your nearest neighbour, who lives 200 miles away and only differs from you in that he has a slightly different size nose and a funny way of pronouncing 'Whip'.

It's only now that I realize Common Language was not made up by D&D.

So have you never heard of the term 'Lingua Franca', then?

Stop being a race traitor

Mezla Fucking Shits

I don't think Veeky Forums is the right board for you.

Oh, it's a race analogy thing?

That makes sense, HFYfags and /pol/tards have a lot in common.

What is the point of that? Is it about mankind?

>They sent a man to commune with the Beyond
>His corpse returned
>The Beyond within it

And lo, did a traveller upon that blue sky so cut.
A fire descending beside the gash.
First one, and then a multitude..
And did he see the truths revealed from so high.
And he did see the cities of men burn to ash.

-second book of the prophet of the gash.

Upon, the second day of the fires from heaven,
A word Came, and it was like thunder.
So loud, the stones of the city below did crack and the sky did bleed.
And with the Word and the blood the great pillar shook and many men fell to the earth below to be picked clean by the crows.

He means the Human race you quintuple faggot.

No race analogy. You are human. Why would you not put humanity (yourself) first?

Same god. Just because he sent him-but-also-his-son to die on a stick doesn't make him not a dick.

Especially since that sacrifice is meaningless. God writes the rules, god can change the rules. If god wanted to forgive humanity, Jesus was not necessary.

>Especially since that sacrifice is meaningless

Are you saying God lacks the power to wash away Original Sin without using his son's blood as cleaning fluid?

Idk man I'm not a theologian I just wanted to post that picture in a relevant post.

That's stupid, your stupid
no

They unwittingly sent a signal through the cosmos.
"We're here"
In the greater galaxy, in the higher dimensions of reality, where safe havens were an oasis in endless desert, the call was too inviting. From the skies, from beneath the earth, through the very walls of our buildings came a dozen things. Aliens perhaps, but not all from our universe. Some traversed through other, their probing tendrils breaching the veil between our realities so they could pour in. Each saw they had company. And each wanted our world for themselves. This oasis, this eden, this paradise.

Wars were fought. Cataclysmic battles that shifted continents with their destruction as the creatures fought each other for supremacy. Humans? It was the 50's, the scariest thing to us was Soviet-American relations. We were n't even a distraction for them. We were just part of the scenery that got chewed up under their war machines.

Shut the fuck up.

explain your image.

I like this.

Read the novel 'Snow Crash'.

But we weren't going to just lie down and die. The Soviets, the Americans,bitter rivals once again becoming staunch allies, pooled their resources together to form an Extraterrestrial Combat force - XCOM.

We will scavenge from their wreckage. We will learn from them. We will build our own weapons. We will take the fight to them. Be it in the corn fields of Baxter, or the factories of Omsk. We kick them out of our home, even if it must be inch by bloody inch.

Oh wow, another how gritty and awesome humanity is setting. How original.

Actually it's a 'Humanity is the Underdog'. If that annoys you, maybe you shouldn't be on Veeky Forums

Because it's silly, it's all so silly.

"HOLY SHIT THIS SPECIES BREATHS OXYGEN, THAT'D LIKE, KILL US OR SOMETHING!". "THERE SUCH INCREDIBLE WARRIORS, OH GOD THE HUMANS ARE STEALING OUR WOMEN!".

It's not realistic, it's not logical, it's masturbation. You're jacking off to the thought of being innately better because you can't grasp being good at anything unless it's innately. That's why you take so much pride in some dude building a bride in the middle of combat, or us going to the moon. Because you've never done any of those things and you never will. Being proud of anything or anybody except your own accomplishments it pathetic.

I mean I come to the for originality. Which is lacking anymore it seems. We get neat posts that hold up on what is going on and set a neat tone for a setting and the best you get is We Wus XCOM and shizz

See

Akasha please

>You have to like everything I like to be on Veeky Forums
HFYfags, everyone.

By originality, you mean Destiny-tier writing where things are left deliberately vague to hide bad storytelling?

>you get is We Wus XCOM and shizz
Not it was the XCOM I always wanted. Soviet and American interpretations of an organization built to fight Extraterrestrials in an increasingly dieselpunk setting, with retro of American 50's sci-fi blending with the avant-garde of Soviet 50-60's sci-fi

Again, if that upset you, maybe you should leave.

>This is HFY
Is this like /co/ and Mary Sue where HFY loses its original meaning and is used by fa/tg/uys as a catch-all term for 'things I don't like'

And you know, that's a cool setting but how the hell does it fit with the OP beyond you say it does? And hey three posts in of anything coherent and similar doesn't mean it can't be explained in thread. That's the fun of being here posting with other folks. You build off their shit and they off yours. Unless your op you don't have much stake in this thread dude beyond swinging your dick around and playing sheriff.
Again cool idea but it's nothing really special.

No, it's in reference HFY and the thread contents. I'm not even the original guy, I just think HFY is pathetic.

"Incredible." The alien commander said, rubbing her genitals furiously, "They drink water, the most potent solvent in the world!". The entire alien army is now masturbating at the graceful and savage mystique of the human. "And to think of their incredible endurance, as they evolved from animals that would chase their prey to exhaustion!". The entirely female alien army collapses to their need, the rich superior Earth soil now drenched in their pussy juices.

>HOLY SHIT THIS SPECIES BREATHS OXYGEN

I always wonder why this is the first thing people reference when shit-talking HFY. It was one early pasta that used that, literally years ago. Hasn't popped up since. It's rarely even posted anymore, because it wasn't very good. I'd bet serious money that people have complained about that one line about a dozen times as often as anyone's actually linked it. And as for it being silly? Yeah, everyone knows it's silly. It was always silly. That was the point. The entire thing of HFY is being ridiculously over-the-top for the purpose of amusement. It's the same reason that things like Judge Dredd or 40k get popular. Taking an idea well past its reasonable limits to establish an aesthetic.

But even if you somehow missed that, why is it always the oxygen thing people focus on? Never the one about consumer culture conquering the galaxy, or fat American-style tourists overrunning entire civilizations, or about a ship's chef and his jolly fat captain introducing a cultural revolution through gourmet food, or the 50-100 stories about people fucking literally anything. If you want silly and over-the-top, those are better examples. It's always the one thing about oxygen.

Why? Who even cares? Certainly not people that like HFY. Only people that hate it.

But it's not silly to try to overcome an alien species that are trying to wipe us out. And to succeed in that you have to believe that you can succeed. It has nothing to do with oxygen being toxic (they maybe breathe oxygen as well), it's just about trying your best to win.

Because it highlights how silly it is. The oxygen bit is more something that caught on as way way of making fun of it, similar to "Did you just assume my gender?".

And, yeah, comedy if fine. But it's not really funny, it's just blatantly self masturbatory.

It is not masturbation (Is there another type than self masturbation?), it is love for your species.
And it is the realization that we might actually not be so bad off. Most non-HFY sci fi displays aliens as being superior in some respect to us, but if so, then not inferior in another. Reality is that they probably are superior in some respect, and inferior in another.

What sounds like a better story, one about the glorious, beautiful, intelligent, graceful, shit-doesn't-stink, skilled, deadly, wonderful people beating back scrawny asthmatic, autistic, melvin aliens who are also furries by flicking them with rubber bands for 20 minutes; Or a story of conflict that doesn't suck anybody's dick?

If you want the first one, go to a HFY thread. If you want a second one, read a decent book.

>atmospheric beasts
>scp-wiki.net/scp-312

Then use better examples. Pointing out one single example over and over again, when everyone involved already knows it's silly, doesn't make your argument look very good. If you want to convince people that you're right (and no, it isn't self-evident that your opinion on HFY is correct), then you need to tackle the stuff people actually *like*. Convince them that the good stuff is bad, then they might agree with you. Until then you're just like some idiot coming into every discussion about X-men and repeating how Chuck Austen's run sucked, and thus all of the X-men books are terrible. It's not news, and it doesn't extrapolate outward. Everyone knows Austen sucked. So what? Every genre has some bad examples. Sturgeon's Law. Doesn't mean that the whole thing sucks.

what is the tower of babylon?

Actually, strange we have an example of "built too high" before "dug too deep" came about.

Well when given the options that you present, the choice is obvious, but your model does not match reality.