So I'm planning to run a pulpy, Solomon Kane-esq Darkest Africa type game for my group

So I'm planning to run a pulpy, Solomon Kane-esq Darkest Africa type game for my group.
Apart from the obvious problem of how to avoid people screaming about racism, what're some good inspirations for such a campaign beyond Solomon Kane or monsters to use?
Has anyone ran a campaign like this before?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4BXd7nuJkPQ&t=113s
nytimes.com/2017/03/25/world/africa/congo-militia-police-beheadings.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Hq0XVVHtXb0
pastebin.com/PKFJzHfA
youtube.com/watch?v=1gdTOHWYVLM
abookofcreatures.com/2016/03/18/usilosimapundu/
abookofcreatures.com/tag/african-folklore/
warosu.org/tg/thread/30685000
vampireunderworld.com/african-vampires/
youtube.com/watch?v=MxixmxK6480
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Rudyard Kipling

>Darkest Africa
>how to avoid people screaming about racism

Play exclusively with racists, of course.

Do you have the name of this Argentinian beauty?

For the sort of feel I'm aiming for, enjoy:
youtube.com/watch?v=4BXd7nuJkPQ&t=113s

Nyakim Gatwech dude.

African folklore is actually pretty interested. Something fun I've done is use masks, something of vital importance in many African tribal settings, as a law of identity.

If you put on that mask, you're that person or object or deity. I took it to extremes. If a man stabbed another while wearing a mask, and took it off right after, he did not commit the crime but the persona did.

>Argentina is le black
Oh look! He posted it again! I bet he's giggling to himself, in his dark room, the only light source being his computer screen. He chuckles to himself as his cheeto stained fingers type. Guaranteed replies! He thinks to himself as he looks around his room at the my little pony posters and anime figures. You disgust me, and the rest of the Veeky Forums army. Get the hell off our website.

Oh boy, this post is gonna attract more than a few /pol/tards

Hellboy and Anansi Boys come to mind.

Stay mad Argentinian.

/pol/ gonna /pol/ user.
I'm thinking less 'hunt the wily nego' type shit and more, She, or Tarzan, or even Kull (Because I'm a complete slut for snakemen)

Ahem.

>falkland_war.gif

Sensiblechuckle.gif

Have you tried a setting in ancient Egypt by chance?

>no_fun_allowed.exe

Well the most obvious classic idea is a ruined city in the middle of the Jungle. If you've ever read Red Nails or She then that sort of thing can be a right blast.

How could this even be an issue, as long as you are not playing with either stupid SJW's or pants-on-heads retarded racists ?
But you can actually use racism as a theme in your story if you want. What with foreign big game hunters and Livingston-type explorers being products of their times, probably having cases of white savior's complex and all that jazz.

>what're some good inspirations for such a campaign beyond Solomon Kane or monsters to use?
Try reading Heart of darkness, by Joseph Conrad. It inspired the movie Platoon, and it is pretty interesting.
For more pulpy things, Tarzan, and the Allan Quatermain books.

Fuck off /pol/ (nice aryan anime waifu, though !)

>stupid SJW's or pants-on-heads retarded racists?

Little repetitive there.

... damn, you are right. Let me correct :
>as long as you are not playing with racists

Reiterating Heart of Darkness, you should definitely read it if you haven't since it is a) an excellent piece of literature and b) rather short and easy to digest.

If you feel confident about exploring the subject of racism/colonialism in a way that won't make your players feel weird, look into Leopold II's Congo Free State. The villainy involved is so over the top it almost sounds like a pulp story itself, so you'll have lots of historical sources to draw from for your storytelling. I can recommend King Leopold's Ghost, it's a good read.

>easy to digest
Not according to godreads.com

>trusting online book-sites reviews
user, I know that you are memeing, but c'mon.

>look into Leopold II's Congo Free State. The villainy involved is so over the top it almost sounds like a pulp story itself

Well considering that that website includes 11 year olds as part of its audience, the metric is shifted accordingly.

A literate adult will put Heart of Darkness away in an evening or two.

>What with foreign big game hunters and Livingston-type explorers being products of their times, probably having cases of white savior's complex and all that jazz.

Tomb of Annihilation touched on this. Chultans are decent folks by the standards of Faerun, but the most popular god is this Lovecraftian eyeball monster. Ages ago a bunch of clerics of Sune, Torm, and Ilmater tried to 'save' Chult from what they were pretty confident was an evil god. The book glosses over what would have probably been an interesting campaign in its own right.

Isn't Chult ruled by seven businessmen, including one who allows you to 'buy' murders? And don't they feed criminals to velociraptors? Yes, that's why I said Chultans are decent BY THE STANDARDS OF FAERUN

This goddess is so dark it is fundamentally screwing with my LED screen, creating highlights of blue and violet along her finely toned arms and a sea of the deepest crimson hue at the point of her voluptuous lips. She is not meant to walk this earth... she is the night sky brought to life. May her blessing be upon us.

Get Nyambe: African Adventures and Spears of the Dawn.

Instead of "ooga booga we be cannibals" or "we live in harmony with the nature goddess/invented everything" you simply have interesting cultures that are exotic because they're not what your players will generally be used to.

Option 1: WAKANDA FOREVER!!!!
Option 2: any time someone says "that's racist", remind them that their characters are black too, so everything is super fine.
Yes, even the "great white hunter" is black

Indeed, user. Indeed.

>black "great white hunter" in denial of his own skin color
I believe you are onto something. And I love it.

You must not have ever seen the movie.

When i see dark skin, the only thing i think about is the four standard deviations my children would have.
Making hybrids with non-humans is a tragedy.

It wasn't much different before colonialism and it's the same since independence. Black africa is just a hellhole of atrocities.

nytimes.com/2017/03/25/world/africa/congo-militia-police-beheadings.html

I haven't, and can't find the ref through google reverse search. Would you mind to give me the sauce on it, kind sir ?

Here's your (You) you desperately wanted, turbovirgin. Satisfied now?

youtube.com/watch?v=Hq0XVVHtXb0

Congo, a 90's movie based on the novel written by Michael Chricton.

The protagonists have to go to central Africa to release a gorilla into the wild and are told they're going to meet a guy named Captain Munro Kelly. He ends up being the guy pictured and everyone seems surprised because they were expecting your usual white British colonist guy who knows the local situation and lay of the land and how to survive. He is well aware of this trope and explains that he is indeed going to be their "Great White Hunter" on this trip.

>It wasn't much different before colonialism and it's the same since independence. Black africa is just a hellhole of atrocities.

Before colonialism it was your usual tribal raiding/warfare that you'd see in most any other indigenous culture.

The scale and nature of a lot of the killing did definitely change after colonialism, though.

Just like indigenous western and northern European tribes were changed after contact with the southern Europeans, who were changed by their contacts with the eastern Europeans who were changed by contact with the Near Easterners, etc.

Hope this helps:
pastebin.com/PKFJzHfA
>African Fantasy Tips

Sample:
>According to legend, the Grootslang is a primordial creature as old as the world itself. Tales state that gods, new to the crafting of things, made a terrible mistake in the Grootslang's creation, and gave it tremendous strength, cunning, and intellect. Realizing their mistake, the gods split the Grootslang into separate creatures and thus created the first elephants and the first snakes. But one of the original Grootslangs escaped, and from this first sire all other Grootslangs were born. It is claimed to devour elephants by luring them into its cave. The cave is known as the "Wonder Hole" or the "Bottomless Pit". Supposedly, it connects to the sea which is 40 miles away. According to local legend, the cave is filled with diamonds. It is also said to live in warm rivers and lakes. In Benin, it is said to be a huge elephant-like creature with a serpent's tail. Also according to the tale, Grootslangs covet gems, particularly diamonds, and despite the creatures' lust for cruelty, victims can often bargain for their freedom by offering a Grootslang enough precious gems. While searching for treasure in the richtersveld of South Africa in 1917, English businessman Peter Grayson disappeared after members of his party were attacked and injured by lions, prompting legends that the Grootslang had killed him.

>Be afraid of the hippo. It fucks up crocs and lions, runs faster than you, is very territorial and agressive. It kills more people each year than crocs, lions, elephants etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=1gdTOHWYVLM

>Africa has a lot of monsters that devour people whole, like the Ugungqu-kubantwana, which is pretty much a living island walking on land.
abookofcreatures.com/2016/03/18/usilosimapundu/

>African monsters
abookofcreatures.com/tag/african-folklore/

>african witches
warosu.org/tg/thread/30685000

>I actually forgot that one. I've read accounts of african witches creating a wide variety of zombies and other monsters as minions. There's also stories where killing a witch just creates a powerful evil spirit. I read a Hausa legend about how witches have small mouths of razor sharp teeth all over their backs. They can cause blight, storms, and plagues. And almost all of them shapeshift into creatures of the night or ride on them. The reference I've got here shows them with talking owls, baboons, and hyenas to deliver messages. And just about all of them are cannibals. There's an account of witches using nightmare demons to kill their enemies in their sleep through sheer terror.

>Another thing, there are a lot of spirits that seemed to focus on killing you in your sleep. I think one day I came across like a dozen creatures who were all some variation of "this thing comes into your house at night and feeds on/chokes out the life of children and the sickly. You usually have to keep them away with wards and such.

>African vampires have iron teeth and hooks instead of feet
vampireunderworld.com/african-vampires/

Thank you, I'll watch that movie asap !

Guys this is a pretty nice thread can we not?

I'd not recommend that... it's better to watch an amusing internet review, honestly.

youtube.com/watch?v=MxixmxK6480

Please.

I enjoyed Congo. It's not like it's going down in history as the best movie ever, but it's plenty of fun and has Tim Curry, so nuff-said.

Play with people who don't care.
Like this guy suggests.

Works well in my game.

I actually came in here to recommend the novel version of Congo. I've never seen the movie.