Dungeons The Dragoning 40,000 7th Edition Thread

White Wizard's Epic masterpiece lives on. Check below for the current version of the Big Book of Brews (not to be confused with the old BBOB, which has been deemed heretical.

Important links:

>Google Drive (has all the books and some utilities)
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8z4Cy1zaGU1bnJMaDE4WDZZUlk

>1d4chan
1d4chan.org/wiki/Dungeons:_the_Dragoning_40,000_7th_Edition

>Zetaboard (where people post DtD homebrew)
s4.zetaboards.com/LawfulNice/index/

>Homebrew Directory (where most of the DtD homebrew is conveniently compiled)
s4.zetaboards.com/LawfulNice/topic/30044748/1/

This is the thread for DtD and DtD homebrew. Get to chattin' about characters, games, fluff, and suchforth.

Topic of the Day: How to make the most broken character. Not 'a' broken character, but the MOST broken.

Other urls found in this thread:

s4.zetaboards.com/LawfulNice/single/?p=10007415&t=10176091
s4.zetaboards.com/LawfulNice/topic/30150943/1/
app.roll20.net/join/2669549/nMEx3w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ignore old BBOB posts
Hide old BBOB posts

MOST broken character you say? There are so many axes of measurement it can be hard to say. Maybe we can get there through successive approximation?

Here's my entry: Halfling Promethean Magic User/Arcane Knight Transmuter/Abjurer.

Abjuration for Contingency, which is used for Primal Power. You can really let it rip with pushing on primal power since you can do it in private away from the party. Since the casting rolls of both Primal Power and Contingency do not occur on the battlefield, they cannot be countered by another Abjurer.

So our Halfling Promethean has 5 Dexterity + 3 in Warstrider form, + a potentially arbitrary number from Primal Power (lets say 5. That requires a roll of 70, but that's hardly impossible with some supplementary classes). Could also use combat drugs for another + 1.

So now we're looking at 5 + 3 + 1 + 5 = 14. That's a static defense of 10 + 84 - 8. = 86, and, with an Acrobatics of 5, a 19k14 or 10k10+65 dodge roll. This can be pushed higher through things like the Rogue School, Halfling racial feats, and that one homebrew sword school that reduces size penalty to static defense. All in all its not unreasonable to hit a 99ish. So they're nigh-untouchable in combat, have Abjuration to deal with enemy spell casting, and can wear earplugs to be immune to social combat.

Offense wise, with a base strength of 5, they'll have 13 strength, which is plenty for the purposes of smashing things in melee.

Bonus: Halfling Promethean Warstriders are only as big as a human. Describe your default mode as 'power saver mode' and your warstrider mode as 'big sexy'.

Vectron only exists because a bored sorcerer used enchantment spells to brainwash enough people into believing him into existence. That's why there's so little detail on him, the wizard didn't put much effort into a mythos, he just wanted to screw with people.

>namefags
Am I supposed to know who you guys are?

idk probably.

None of this, of course, saves you from blast weapons or any blast magic. Energy Meteors will still ruin your day, if you add a bag of rats to fire at.

...ok but, what if I light the ground on fire?

I don't. Do you know them?

nah.

Energy Meteors are handled by Abjuration.

Blast weapons still roll to hit, and can be dodged. This might be moot since you're still in the blast radius, but if you have Evasion, you get to move your dex in meters (which is 14 for the character I outlined. 16 if you took Fast as well). Arguably, you could just shoot at the floor and catch the character with the blast area without giving him a chance to dodge. Were I the GM, I'd let them roll anyway if they have Evasion, but if not, then it becomes a battle of attrition. Can the Promethean kill the thing blasting it faster than it can be killed?

Wall of force and then stand on that? Go Pyro for immunity to being-on-fire damage? Paladin for a vehicle with hover? Dragon Form to fly?

I'm sure there are ways to overcome this guy, but the question was what is the most broken character possible. The goal is less to find the specific circumstances that can take down any given character, but how to make a character more broken than the one that proceeded it.

>So our Halfling Promethean has 5 Dexterity + 3 in Warstrider form, + a potentially arbitrary number from Primal Power (lets say 5. That requires a roll of 70, but that's hardly impossible with some supplementary classes).

Far too low actually.
Don't forget some Druid, since your build actually can't advance their Transmutation high enough to get Primal Power. It's 4 and Arcane Knight can only get to 3. The only class that actually has real transmutation in the first book is Druid.
Anyway, Say the halfling is an Orichalcum Promethean and has 5 Transmutation and 5 wisdom. He dumps 5 Pyros on Wisdom before casting, raising his Wisdom by 6. Throw some Drive on there too just because and some Spook as well because there will be psychic phenomena anyway; that's another 2k2 to the roll.
So you're at 12 Wisdom and rolling a total of 18k13, without pushing. If you want to Push you're at 21k13 presuming you're tested. That ends up becoming 10k10+70, getting the 70 you imagined before your hands even touch dice. If you want to give up 15, you can not push it so you'll probably only get normal Psychic Phenomena. If you have both spell focuses and max Magic User, you get that 15 back anyway.
So that averages to around 130, or +11 to all physical stats.
Reasons like this is why the Promethean's ability to use Transhuman potential for casting spells is up to be nerfed in revisions. Forget Primal Power, imagine them hitting you with Unluck with that kind of roll if it's just 1 on 1. You're taking -21k0 to all rolls. Unluck's certainly gonna be on the chopping block too I'm sure.

>"Is there a bestiary?"

I didn't get to respond to this in the last thread but I made an "expanded core" bestiary here.

s4.zetaboards.com/LawfulNice/single/?p=10007415&t=10176091

No homebrew stuff, every race and exaltation is represented at least once, very few unique abilities, and done in a similar format as the book 1 bestiary.

>Energy Meteors are handled by Abjuration.
It really won't. Armoring Aura can only give you 15 armor, and Emerald Frost reduces that by 10.
>evasion
You don't get to dodge the blast. You're auto-hit if you're in the blast.
>Can the Promethean kill the thing blasting it faster than it can be killed?
Atlanteans can hit you for 64k40 as a free action, while reducing your aura by 10, and then follow it up with a casual 30k20 damage. Your call.

I meant via dispel magic, disjunction, etc.

You seriously think you're going to beat an Atlantean in a Focus Power-off? Even with 10k10, you're in for a world of hurt.

This guy is a tripfag though.

Fair.

Anyway, back to my previous point: The issue is 'what's the most overpowered character period.' You're making a decent case for an Atlantian Evoker, but you should lay out the build and cover as many of your bases as possible.

It depends what you consider to be 'the most overpowered character period'. The Kobold Atlantean Evoker is the best at consistently and safely putting out damage or doing whatever it is that you need to be doing with spells (Primal Power, Unluck, The Spell Combo) but a Twice-Bound Spirits ranged attacker could put out even more than that on most targets -- but that itself is mostly just LN not being very good with math, and including Proven in the same book. Yes, your build has the highest static defense out of any of them, but this is assuming XP isn't a problem. If we need to worry about XP, then just about any build is going to be replaced by some form of Daemonhost, full stop.

Basically what I'm saying is that without parameters, the question isn't very helpful.

10k10 is more than an Atlantean will usually be able to bring to bear. Averages to about 61.

Of course, the Atlantean will likely outlast you and you'll need to worry about Psychic phenomena more.
It's fitting of course for the Atlantean to be the best mages but they need to be toned down a bit, of course.

How do you actually get to play a game like this? How do you actually find someone to run it?

You can get 61 quite easily as an Atlantean with Empower Spell and Maximize Spell. In fact, your minimum is 56, before you roll another 5 dice.

The same as other games, find like-minded people interested in doing stuff. Gather together either on Roll20 or IRL, with someone as the SM.

An Atlantean will have a hard to getting extra kept though, in ways that can't just be matched by the opponent. You can only Maximize 5 times before you need to start using normal dice. 6 times if you're Kobold.

The gamefinder thread on Veeky Forums worth a shot you think?

That's ten dice to roll a 6+. And you can Empower Spell a round (or, hell, a day before) to get +3k0, for a total of +1k1 +5.

Probably not, there aren't many people who are aware of this game. And if they do, they probably don't know the homebrew is being updated, or exists at all.

>captcha: calle calle
Captcha's favorite words

An orichalcum promethean can spend 3 resource for +4k4. With max willpower and abjurations they could swing 10k10+10 for 4 rounds that way. If you disjunct you can even prevent repeat casting between rounds.
If you want, you can also use some Drive for +1 Willpower for another +10. At 3 resource spent, you can do this 5 times in a row, while the Atlantean can only max max 4 times. He might be able to meet 5 by unraveling paradox every turn.
Atlantean is busted, so are some other things. I mean if the Promethean goes first with Unluck he can stop you from being able to keep any dice at all.
There are many things that need to be fixed.

Glad you asked!

Anyone here up to a game of DUNGEONS: THE DRAGONING: 40,000: 7TH EDITION? We need playtesters for homebrew and you need Starmasters to run games, so the best solution I figured was to run online games where the use of homebrew is encouraged.

Right now, we're looking at doing some one-off/short run games set in Sigil. Think Shadowrun in terms of your scenarios. Character creation would work as normal, but please have at least one of your race, class, or exalt be homebrew from either Book 3.whatever or the list of homebrew I'm considering to use for the books after it.

If anyone's interested, I can set up a thread on the forum for people to post their characters and availability.

>Think Shadowrun in terms of your scenarios

Pink Mohawk or Black Trenchcoat?

>Pink Mohawk or Black Trenchcoat?
It's Dungeons the Dragoning, take a guess.

Something in between?

And you're forced to Perils on average every other turn, while the Atlantean can avoid this and you're relying on rolling your number as opposed to a flat number. Similarly, if they attempt an Unluck the Atlantean can disjunction the Promethean in response. If you'd like to burn all your resource points, you can, but a Kobold Atlantean has an advantage on the Promethean in maximum resource points and regeneration.

>Similarly, if they attempt an Unluck the Atlantean can disjunction the Promethean in response.

No, the Promethean Unlucking can go balls deep on it and get something like a 130 easily that the Atlantean can't hope to match. That's -21k0. All the Maximize you want won't help you at that point.

I for one would gladly join. My players are idiots and I would really like a chance to just be a player.

With a Push, Empower and Maximize Spell? You can disjunction them in response with the dice bonus. Especially since Phenomena is less than half as dangerous for the Atlantean than it is for the Promethean, if the Promethean responds by Pushing in kind.

>With a Push, Empower

You can't functionally push and empower a spell at the same time, benefits to Magic School rating NEVER stack. You should check the rules.
Technically you can empower to improve your actual level for considerations and push if you're untested for an extra +1k0, but the extra +40 to psychic phenomena isn't worth it.

It's an either/or, not both. Apologies if that wasn't clear.
>but the extra +40 to psychic phenomena isn't worth it.
It is if you get to roll twice and pick one.

>It is if you get to roll twice and pick one.
Even then it isn't. You're getting perils about 42% of the time.
The Promethean doesn't even need to push. They can if they want some added benefit but it isn't needed so they're only getting perils about 25% of the time.
You can only pull Empower done beforehand once before you need to start cutting into your actual mote availability.

Good to hear.

s4.zetaboards.com/LawfulNice/topic/30150943/1/

Not that guy but you can post without an account there as a guest, you won't be able to edit your own posts but it's a negligible loss.

Nah I already did. you know who I am.

So what replaced the exaltation that was about mystical aetefacts?

The Viewful Joe/Kill La Kill one.

Transformation with a device-based medium?

Champion, with Wellspring for its alternate counterpart.

Vectron exists, but the leaders of the church of Vectron all think he's a hoax.

id be down. Can I pick Cervin as race and Demiurge for exalt?

Also, I'd kill to play in a 'spacehulk' style game

Judging from a thread I guess that's a yes.

Although the game seems to take place primarily in Sigil so I don't know if the SM can pull off a Spacehulk game.

ether way. I am gonna play an Eva-angel Andolite. Sweet.

badampadamp

What are some good plot hooks to get players going to Sigil? I think mine need to "find their motivation".

Well, it's where the council and the factions that make it up is, and they have influence and feelers all throughout the wheel.
It's also Central to everything.

What the fuck is up with weapon proficiencys. Range 1? and range 2? And how does this correlate to the weapon creation rules in book two.

Look at the weapon tables in Book 1. They tell you what weapon types are linked to which proficiencies. I think Ranged 1 was solid ammo and Ranged 2 was las/other.

Proficiencies don't factor into weapon creation. It follows weapon types.

Posted my character concept (pic related) and posted in When Is Good.

>Also, I'd kill to play in a 'spacehulk' style game
There's probably some space hulks floating around in the Astral Sea. What's in them is up to interpretation. Formian Genestealers, perhaps?

>The Viewful Joe/Kill La Kill one.
That a new one?

Bumping this.

I'm currently writing up a generation table for derelict ships, so that I can add a bit more to the trade rules I'm very slowly building.

So. Assuming all levels in all classes what is the fundamentally best Race+exalt combo?

Define "best".

able to win at least 6 times out of 10 against any other combination

Any race + Daemonhost, probably. Black Miracle is a bitch to get around.

If it's only 1 round, I'd say halfling promethean for reasons mentioned earlier in this thread.

Different user here.

If you're willing to use homebrew, maybe the Avatar since its capstone allows you to get 6 dots in characteristics AND skills, along with other vidya-themed mechanics.

Yo, somebody give me commentary on the were-horse.

>If you're willing to use homebrew, maybe the Avatar since its capstone allows you to get 6 dots in characteristics AND skills, along with other vidya-themed mechanics.
That sounds pretty fucking bad.

Just offering suggestions other than Atlantean and Daemonhost. It ain't even my homebrew.

Finally started working on harpies now that I have an idea on how to make them unique/not just Kenku. Now I just have to sit down and words a lot.

What did you have in mind for them?

Sort of a split. Their Power covers their anatomical limitations (they barely have thumbs, so it's extremely difficult to manipulate things with their wings, while their talons are extremely dextrous but they kind of have to walk on them most of the time), but also gives them one of two (mutually exclusive) racial feats, splitting them into flight-capable and flightless camps.

Sirens have Flyer (at base+2?), but take more Impact damage due to hollow bones. Raptors can't fly, but are fleet of foot and particularly competent at using their talons as natural weapons. Some of their racial feats could then be split depending on which you picked at chargen.

Paragon trait is Hyper Voice: allows you to use your voice either to charm targets or as a sonic weapon to damage/debilitate them, though both functions share the uses/scene limit. I don't good at numbers, so they'll all be provisional when I actually post the first version.

Dispense the physical appearence of the harpies. I gotta know!

Keep your pants on.

No.

Basically this. They mature quicker than humans, but pretty much stop aging there (and are size 3, given their childlike stature); their short lifespans tend to be due to accident/injury/comparatively poor medicine. They're not exactly primitive per say, but they'd rather pinch things off someone else than invent them themselves; their millennium of history could basically be summarized as "rape and pillage the neighbors", given that they're female-only.

Let's just say that after their crystal sphere was discovered by the wider Wheel, the harpies' planets quickly became tourist hotspots. They're paradoxically innocent, highly gregarious, don't like being restricted or encumbered, and aren't well renowned for their intelligence (whether birdbrained or just gullible): In their tribal structure, the Matriarch is the smartest, so they tend to have a healthy amount of awe and respect for clever cutters/street magicians.

Alignment-wise, Luna is popular (as is, of all deities, Vectron). Pirates (which is a fairly common career choice) tend to venerate Slaanesh, and, compared to other non-Dark-Eldarin races, Harpies have an unusually high number of Llolth worshipers.

As of now, we still have plenty of room if anyone else wants to join the Shadows of Sigil games. It's pink mohawk fun with the encouraged use of homebrew. Anyone's welcome to hop in if they're interested.

Sounds like I need some birdcages

I don't know if I'll be able to, but I should at least make a forum account. Also, morning bump.

Question: Can I still enjoy this game even if I'm not familiar with the lore of all the other games that it takes inpsiration from?

Do what i do. Fill in the gaps of the lore you dont like/dont know or care for, with your own stuff.

I mean, my experience with things before going in was like, 5~ sessions of 5e. there's a reason when I run things its all stuff at the far edge of the wheel where I don't need to be well versed in lore.

When people asked if you tried not playing DnD, I don't think they mean to go to this length.

Bump for homebrew crystal spheres

Play Planescape: Torment. That and Mass Effect should familiarize you with DtD Sigil.

Weredrago2's Shadows of Sigil game has a Roll20 page. If you're interested and are free most nights, check the page out.

app.roll20.net/join/2669549/nMEx3w

Username's game does not have an Roll20 yet, but I can ask him to make one when he's free.

you got a lot of guts posting it right in here. I'd have put it on the forum thread page, and told people to go there if they want in.

I'm a gutsy person. Also, people here react very negatively to the words "go to the forum." I didn't see the point in posting the game link where nobody would see it.

Most likely because they think you need an account to post there.

I (different user) keep reiterating the forum's guest posting feature.

What's the worst homebrew that deserves fixing?

>page 11
n-nani

bump

Haven't made any progress on this since I last posted, btw, but I'm off school for the weekend since this afternoon, so I hope to have an initial draft up tomorrow morning-ish.

Would Ryuko Matoi be a Tiefling Champion with the Fury Henshin or the Blood Henshin?

Or a Demonhost

Champion

Human or small Tiefling?

How was the transition?
I'd love to give this a try since the concept seems fun, but the most I have managed to convince people to actually play is 5e. And honestly this seems like a huge jump in things to keep up with, especially since I keep note cards just to keep my 5e character abilities straight.

Try to expand your horizons. Play a session or two with every other game that went into DtD and the whole thing will make more sense.

Out of curiosity, why are Goremauls and Grand Daiklaives Unwieldy? I know that sounds like a ridiculous question on its face, but G.Daiklaives are your Buster Swords and Dragon Slayers; you can practically use the thing as a goddamn shield. Goremauls are bigass hammers, but shouldn't you be able to block attacks with the haft just like a staff/pole weapon?

OK, for one? those 5 sessions were all the experience I had with ttrpgs at all, and I was jumping from player to GM. If you get the rules memorized and have some experience running things you should be fine.

Oh, I meant just jumping from being a player of one to the other. I was worried about slowing down someone else's game trying to grasp the mechanics.

Do these games use any special homebrew rules I should look into? Or will reading the 2 core books and memorizing them give me a good enough idea of how to play?