Warhammer Fantasy General - /wfg/

Highly Efficient Edition

>Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
WFRP: pastebin.com/0e6RuQux
Novels: mega.nz/#F!9Lw1WIRZ!eKxkOlAQwuZO3_8pHOK-EQ

>We're looking for these novels for the archive (not updated)
pastebin.com/TSQhemJR

>Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com/13-the-9th-age
Tomb Kings Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/
Bretonnia Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

>The 9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

>Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (most complete)
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

>Warhammer Video Games
Total War Warhammer 2: store.steampowered.com/app/594570/Total_War_WARHAMMER_II/
Vermintide 2: store.steampowered.com/app/552500/Warhammer_Vermintide_2/
Mordheim City of the Damned: store.steampowered.com/app/276810/
Bloodbowl 2: store.steampowered.com/app/236690/
Man O' War: store.steampowered.com/app/344240/
Age of Reckoning: returnofreckoning.com/

Old and Busted:

Other urls found in this thread:

blacklibrary.com/warhammer-chronicles/novels/guardians-of-the-forest-ebook.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This might not be the place, but can I get some feedback on a 3k (approximately) 8e VC list I've been working on? It looks decent enough in theory but seems lacking in magic and is kinda small for an undead army. Cheers in advance.

Speaking as a DM, I never use WFRP's rules to make chaos spawn, you usually get retarded piles of goo that can't actually fight the PCs. I find it easier to take an appropriate stat block and add some mutations or odd rules from other critters.

WFRP question - what kind of campaign could I run for a party of one Halfling smuggler and two law students, one of whom is secretly studying demonology?

Smuggler accidentally receives the wrong package and opens it. Law student "heard about this somewhere" and identifies it as a diabolist's macguffin. PCs must stay one step ahead of asshurt Chaos cultists and witch hunters trying to sort out what the item does, how to stop it happening, and how not to end up on a pyre or a serving platter for a daemon.

Rolled 467 (1d1000)

Why are elves immune to mutation in the fluff, but not in the RPG? Halflings are immune, so it's hard to argue that it would make them OP

I've never actually thought of that. Let me test it out with a completely average peasant (31 in all stats and an average of 9 mutations when they collapse into horror):

Mutations: Thick Fur, Bestial Appearance, Tentacle-like Arm, Cowardice, Fear of Blood, Turnskin, Animalistic Legs, Multiple Heads, Beak

>Makes a Fear test when seeing blood
>-20 to Fear and Terror tests
>Areyoufuckingkiddingme

FINAL STATS:
WS 26% BS 0% S 22% T 19% Ag 19% Int 0% WP 0% Fel 0%
Attacks 2, Wounds 22, Movement 4, Armour Points 1 (all)
Talents: Fearless, Natural Weapons, Terrifying

Holy shit, you weren't kidding. This guy went from a regular guy to an anemic, beaked Bray that was scared of blood. Somehow though, he became EVEN LAMER when he became a Chaos Spawn, being slower, weaker, and less durable in every way. At least he's not scared of blood anymore.

>talents: fearless
>mutations: cowardice
????

Well, those were his mutations from before he became a Chaos Spawn. Chaos Spawn get the Fearless Talent. Immediately before becoming a Chaos Spawn he was the weakest, shittiest Bray, running in fear from blood.

Sorry if this is a newfag tier question, but how does one go about finding people to play the tabletop with? The only gamestore that's reasonably close only hosts 40k and MTG games.

Ask people if they want to play warhammer fantasy battles. If there are already 40k players that makes it way easier. If you mean the rpg, just find a d&d group and tell them "hey, let's play WFRP".

put up a flyer
pray to sigmar

Skaven are cute! Cute!

Always that dreadful stench. The Skaven mark ownership and rank by urinating on everything, and everyone.

I don't think elves are immune to mutation in the fluff. It's just so rare and so minor that it's barely picked up on, and they need a lot of taint to really start showing effects. Sort of like how most Chaos Dwarves look fine, aside from occasional stubby horns, tusks, or hooves.

That's kind of hot.

I would pat this scribe-slave

The halfling smuggler is part of a guild of thieves or other smugglers, and he and the law students are in cahoots to avoid some of the worst fines and penalties. It also means a lot of bribing and backalley brawling, and dealing with cargo that's far too dangerous that you have to unload fast or get rid of quick, like Chaos artifacts.

Rolled 119 (1d1000)

>waiting for WFRP 4E news

What's the typical H.Elf army composition?

fragile with very high WS and I, lots of archers, spear formations, and magic with a handful of powerful flying monsters

New to lore, what exactly happens to Bretonnian boys that are sensitive to magic after they get kidnapped?

We don't know. At most they get sacrificed. Don't believe anyone saying sex-things, that's just memes.

Unicorns eat them.

Let's be real here, it's definitely sex-things.

Yeah, maybe Orion demands a tighter hole than Ariel could ever provide.

ok so having desicded that tomb kings are the army for me, what are some much haves for a army? screaming skull pul? casket? those statue dudes?
how many points is typical?
are named characters worth it?
help me i have no idea what im doing

Nope. That's 100% fan invention

>n-no, a bunch of horny treeniggers could never do lewd things.

Is this just what we're going to start posting every 9 days or so? Things to bait this user?

>the exact words
Fuck me for thinking people word ask genuine questions.

>word
*would, sorry.

Yup.

So you deliberately want to fill the thread with shitposting and lower its quality?

Does the rule in pic related apply to temporary runes, or only permanent runes?

How do you become good at strategy? Is it all about mastering math or is there something else? What is the mark of a good strategist?

Logically, I'd say only permanent ones.

It's all just luck mate.

There's a bit of lore that says that they become the Sons of Bretonnia, sort of quasi Grail Knights kept in waiting by the Lady of the Lake. Think the backstory of Lancelot.

thats a one off from one black library author
prob not canon
its one of those on purpose mysterys
prob murdered though

I dunno, considering we have little else to go on beyond speculation, I'm sticking with it for lack of anything else close to concrete.

Besides, the idea of the Sons of Bretonnia is interesting to me. Apparently they look magical and a bit more elven.

>Each knight was once a stolen boy of Bretonnia grown to powerful maturity and regal stature, garbed in archaic silver armour and wielding a variety of strange mystical weapons, their pale skin had a slight glow and their eyes glittered with the Lady's glory.
>They burst from a mystical lake, riding upon bestial water-horses which snorted and grunted through dagger like teeth. Their hair rippled, swirling as if underwater and their voices roared in unison, untold years of rage waiting to be unleashed.

They go to live with the Elves and never come
back. One such boy
appears in Guardians of the Forest by
Graham McNeill, and if I recall correctly, he waits at the tables at a feast.

blacklibrary.com/warhammer-chronicles/novels/guardians-of-the-forest-ebook.html

The wood elves draw heavy inspiration from folklore about fae and such and Bretonnians likewise draw a lot of inspiration from medieval poetry and literature.

There are a bunch of different reason why people though elves would steal children, but GW never really committed to anything afaik.

Makes them somewhat more sinister, so it works for WHFB.

Check this out:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling

If you must have an answer (as a DM or something), there's no reason why multiple answers can't be true.

Badass end up riding kelpie cavalry sometimes led by the Green Knight.

Fucking normies end up waiting tables, singing, and doing other gay shit like that.

Shit tier kids get their blood spilled to help Orion get hard or whatever that shitter needs all that blood spilt for.

The ones with big dicks become the personal toys of frustrated, bored waywatchers.

I will accept the last one only if Waywatchers will sometimes also capture wayward Bretonnian knights or even the rare Imperial soldier.

Can anyone give a run-down of ninth-age.

Is it a direct copy of 8th edition? Are there any balance changes, is it balanced itself?

It's different, and it is balanced, but I think it's less fun because of it.

What makes it less fun? How major are the changes? I dont have the time right now to run through all the books I see they have posted.

Rolled 894 (1d1000)

Make me a beast with a thousand dicks!

Wood Elf 6ed army book said that Wood Elf nobles have unageing human boys as servants and cup bearers.

Rolled 241 (1d1000)

Oh boy! I love mutations

Wood Elves sure are weird.

Rolled 501 (1d1000)

Something something chaos

>mfw playing Mazdamundi in campaign mode
Jesus Christ, lads, his spell combos are fucking insane.
He just wiped out 300 Dark Elves in 10 seconds

Get the book of arkhan for the vampire

They basically removed a bunch of Core options they thought were unbalanced. Really kills themed armies.

>implying memes aren't reality.

Casket

Does he still burn through his magic reserves really quickly?

Casket is one of the few things that is basically an auto-include. It greatly strengthens your magic phase, and TK are highly reliant on magic.

Otherwise its kind of how you wish to build it.

Horsemen are basically never worth it.
Skellie Archers> sword&board/spear
Necroknights and Chariots are some of the best units available to you. Combining speed, damage and okay to good armor.
Kings/Princes really should only be put into units that can actually utilize the WS bonus

>implying killing shitty elves is an achievement
Those faggoty twinks die from a stern look for fuck's sakes.

When he's leveled up, you can throw down a net, combo his two bound spells and then an upgraded comet with reserves to spare.
If you bait them into clumping before netting, chances are that you won't need any more spells after that

would settra as and nuch of skelton blocks work?
settra buffs MWBD as an aoe as opposed to a unit I think
again how many points is usual for an army?

>points

Is really dependent on who you are playing with. I only ever really stuck with around 2k games.

Buffing skeletons with MWBD is probably the least effective way to use it. They become worse VC skeleton tarpits, because they cant be revived as effectively/cheaply like VC does it.

The issue with skeletons having MWBD buff is that they still have low stats everywhere else. MWBD is better used on your units that have the better STR/# of attacks

Does anyone have pictures of the mantic Tomb Kings type minis painted in normal colours? I know someone in the thread was working on them, but I never saw the final result.

Be warned that the current TK book was written by a guy who neither liked the army, nor understood how the previous one worked. Calling it 'hard mode' is less appropriate than a barely-functional machine with no real specializations and every activity is pulling teeth. Compare it to VC which came after and the differences are subtle but startling.

Literally every list you ever write should have a high Liche, and normally 2. This is because the Lore of Nehekhara is awful-to-poor and solely held up by how good Dessicate is.
Your choice of second LHP will dictate what kind of list you play. I personally swear by Death for stacking Soulblight with Dessicate and shooting, plus Sunning your own troops for a second magic phase.
The alternative normally revolves around a Knight/Tomb Guard deathstar with some characters, Light buffs and Nehek spells to keep them alive.

Staples of the list:
> LHP
> Light Horsemen
> Hierotitan
> Casket of Souls
> Screaming Skull Catapults
> Necropolis Knights

The army is essentially a magical firebase of spammed arrows, magical support, and a couple hammers of NK.

Scorpions and Carrion are decent removal tools, but are competing with Light Horses and sometimes NK.
I want to make Stalkers work but they rarely do.
Ushabti are bad Knights and to be avoided.
Understand that you are simultaneously the slowest army in the game, and also that you carry a giant 'I lose' button with 3 T4 wounds.

I thought that all elves had completely black eyes.

That's an issue that's still constantly debated.

Anyone have an opinion on WFRP 2E or 3E vs Zweihander?

2e is still the best imo. I'm hoping 4e proves to be a worthy successor.

2e everytime, as it has a lot more source material than Zwei while still being fun and playable.

So I was putting together a 2500 point list for 8th Edition.
This was meant to be experimental, but do you think it has a chance or am I just shoving a giant metal boot up my own ass right out of the gate?

>Be warned that the current [insert army] book was written by a guy who neither liked the army, nor understood how the previous one worked

Couldn't that be said for almost any book of 8th edition? It's either what you said or Matt Ward all over again.
At least the empire book got it almost right.

Werent the only real bad 8th books, like Orcs and TK?

I remember everything else being decent (ogres/empire) to way too fucking strong (Chaos, VC, Daemons)

Can you run all skink core for Lizardmen? I'm not really into the non-temple guard saurus models, but skinks are pretty cute .

From what I can tell, Zweihander is a gross misunderstanding of what actually made WFRP interesting. It's going out of its way to be grimdark, while WFRP was actively less grim and edgy than its source material for the most part.

Hell, WHFB had its dark and grim tales, sure, the the overall atmosphere, at least until End Times ruined everything, had much more of a NobleDark feel to it.
Sure, things were shit, especially for the peasantry, but the story didn't feel hopelessly lost up its own ass looking for things to be grimdark the way 40k has.
That there were factions like Dorfs, Empire and Bretonnia and occasionally High Elves, who weren't complete retards who could and would work together against the forces of darkness.

I think it's jolly good fun. I've introduced it to two of my mates who played it warhammer when they were kids and they recognise a lot of it still.
It's good old warhammer. Can't vouch for the new edition coming out though

Greetings, /wfg/! I come with a hypothetical question.

When Sigmar united the Empire under a single banner, the Dwarfs agreed to bestow great weapons, the Runefangs, unto each of the twelve tribal leaders that pledged their loyalty to him. However, by the time Alaric the Mad finished the blades, at least a century has passed, and each of the intended recipients had died.

Using the guides given in Realms of Sorcery, the greatest Runesmith possible would be able to enchant twelve Runefangs in 8 years, 1 month, and 26 days on average.
The worst possible Runesmith that would still be capable of inscribing such a rune would take 43 years, 11 months, and 1 day to complete the swords.

However, the inscription upon the blades is not entirely what makes them what they are. They were each formed from a single nugget of gromril, worked under the light of the full moon, fired by the breath of the dragon Snarkul the Red, and cooled in the blood of Daemons.

So the question is, how long do you think it took for the swords themselves to be forged, ignoring the actual enchanting?

Are there chaos cults in Estalia? Do we know any relations between chaos and Estalia?

There are Chaos cults everywhere, but they're weaker the farther you get from the poles, roughly speaking. Most in Estalia would likely be either Tzeentchian or Slaaneshi sybarites.

>The Estalian Kingdoms are southwest of the Empire. There the threat of Chaos seems remote. The Chaos Wastes are quite distant from this sunny land, which has never witnessed the wrath of bloodthirsty hordes the way the Empire and Kislev have.

Probably not a lot of cults, they're too far south.

Forging swords probably would take a lot more time, considering the secret of forging gromril is all but lost, but Runesmithing is still alive and well.

Regarding dwarf warriors, are Great Weapons a good option? If I take them, should I include shields?

>are Great Weapons a good option
honestly you're probably better off using them on units with better armour and more attacks, but if you want cheap, reasonably durable high strength units they'll do the job just fine

>If I take them, should I include shields?
shields and great weapons are almost always a waste of points, unless you're running questing knights or units with weapon master like black orcs

If they were forged under the light of the full moon (which one?), then that would take an awful lot longer than being able to work them full time. Multiply that shit by 30.
They also break the Rule of Pride, although whether that's a magic rule or merely a guideline is up for debate.

considering this is Alaric the Mad we're talking about, him forging twelve of the best made blades in history under Morrslieb isn't exactly out of the question, nor is breaking the Rule of Pride

Right, I'm just saying that both of those things may be factors that contributed to why it took so long.

I'm assuming Mannslieb, considering that not many would trust a sword forged only under the light of Morrslieb.

The Rule of Pride is a rule passed down by the guild, and is not actually a magical law. The in-universe explanation is that a Dwarf should take a sense of ownership over what he creates, with every piece being a unique masterpiece. The out of universe explanation is that magic items should be rare and that every Runesmith being a magic item factory really cheapens the coolness of having an enchanted sword.

I think the rule of pride explicitly mentions that as an exception

I am working on a character for a 2nd edition game, I want to roleplay someone who wants to become the Empires greatest Gunpowder Marksmen is this viable? I am looking at the careers and I think I need Soldier, Roadwarden or Coachman to start with.

>Probably not a lot of cults, they're too far south.
Doesn't cults spring up with the remotest of chaos corruption? If Estalia is anything like Tilean society I'd wager that there are atleast a couple of gentlemen clubs and secret brotherhoods for every state, fermenting some sort of rebellion or resistance towards governmental authority. Chaos cultists love that kind of thing. It's the perfect place to influence the leaders of society into embracing Chaos.

What's everyones favorite unit on the table top?
For me it just got to be Forsaken. They are a fast, strong and sturdy infantry that works either as a small unit or as a nice block. As if that wasn't enough they also bring all the lovely randomness you could hope for from a bunch of dilapidated Chaos Worshippers. In one round you might get 4 attacks with killing blow with every Forsaken only to follow that up with a round of 1 attack that ASL. If you go Slaanesh or Khorne with their marks you have the added benefit of tacking on swiftstride or hatred. Oh and they are so much fun to convert! Their only downside is that they are quite costly.

One of the more fitting careers to aim for (no pun intended) is Targeteer for +35% BS. Or +40% in the Career Compendium, not sure if that's errata or a typo.
The only problem with Targeteer is that it's supposed to be a bow or crossbow marksman and the talents reflect that. They also don't get the Marksman talent for some bizarre reason.

Engineer will get you some nice talents like Master Gunner or Specialist Weapon Group (Engineer) for a Hochland Long Rifle, but their BS is middling.
Artillerist is similar and has slightly better BS, but their career entry is either Engineer or Sergeant.
Duellist isn't bad either but you can't get into it via an early career that also has Specialist Weapon Group (Gunpowder).

I would probably suggest Soldier > Veteran > Targeteer
You'll end up having to buy a bunch of melee advances too and you won't get Master Gunner or Marksman or Specialist Weapon Group (Engineer), but it's at least doable in a campaign.

A couple of caveats:
1) Gunpowder weapons are pretty horrible in WFRP. They do decent damage but they are so slow to reload it's not really worth it unless you have a brace of pistols and don't bother reloading. They also cost a fortune.
2) Are you rolling for basic careers or choosing? If you're rolling, don't bother coming up with a character concept beforehand.

The GM wants us to Roll but said he would allow us a Career choice if it's for a roleplay reason, I have not played the system before and thought that a system with gunpowder weapons would have good gunpowder weapons, it looks like I was mistaken.

I was also planning Soldier > Veteran > Champion as they seem to get +40% BS bonus.

The problem with gunpowder weapons in nearly all fantasy RPGs is hitpoints versus reload time.

In reality, if you shoot someone, they're out of combat. Either injured or dead. It doesn't matter that the reload time for a gun is long because it only takes one shot.
In RPGs it usually just takes a chunk of their hitpoints, because it would suck to have your character killed in one hit. You need to hit someone multiple times and in that situation a realistic reload time fucking sucks.

Gunpowder weapons in WFRP don't kill in one shot and they have a realistic reload time, so they fall into the trap along with most other games.