What are some things you always wanted to put into a campaign but couldn't think of a decent way to put it in?

What are some things you always wanted to put into a campaign but couldn't think of a decent way to put it in?

Hide fetish threads
Ignore fetish posts
Do not reply to fetish posters

Shut it youngster

I had this idea for an immortal character who I felt would be too strong,
the idea was that his soul affects his surrounding in such a way that reality trips upon itself just to keep him alive.
What it mostly means is that he is super lucky, but if someone somehow manages to give him a lethal strike and chop him into pieces, the entire area just shifts into life support mode, per example; making a new breed of trees that feeds of blood and breeds tree zombies, just so they can birth him anew.

In the end I realized that I have no way to implement him.

Weird psychic plots. It's one thing to have characters who can read minds and float shit, it's another to use those powers to play a mix of House of Cards, Inception and Sleepwalker.

A proper war. Not something that can just simply be circumvented by adventurers but really force them into a military campaign, throwing them into the fray, forcing them to play strategically and as a cohesive unit. Almost every single one of my parties would have failed this though...

Giants as player race and giants in general. Everyone wants to dungeon delve, but we all know giants don't fit in dungeons.

The whole "your existence is fake" twist. Turns out you live in an eldritch dome, and you're the result of genetic recombinations of the initial captives. All memories before being within the dome are illusory constructs made out of harvested memories and impressions and blah blah blah.

I think it's a cool thing. If a GM did it to a game I was playign in I wouldn't even complain. Putting that aside, I'm entirely too aware that people are babies about shit like this. There's a lot of memery about ideas like this being tired and trite that people take seriously without having ever actually read or watched anything with this plot. Same with most supernatural twists in otherwise mundane works.

playing in*
having read or watched*
Fuck I'm tired.

I kinda want to do a massive 412th wall break, where the characters realize they are being controlled
I have no idea how to do it though

Make the dungeons bigger.

Fucking autocorrect, meant 4th

Centaurs
Wilderness survival on different planes of reality.
Groundhog Day time loop

Groundhog's Day, all the way. I have no clue how to make it work, but it's the fucking best.

>Groundhog Day

Make the dungeons ruins of ancient even bigger giants.

Martial arts based on emulating symbolic gestures of saints and enlightened beings, with the highest form being the secrets of moving like Jesus, Lao Zi, ect. Couldn't really do it without being either a bit too preachy or disrespectful, but the idea was to have mcs kind of stumble upon it, and then have to race a cult in discovering hidden manuscripts and meanings to synthesize metaphysical knowledge with technique. The more powerful they got, the more spiritual beings would take interest in them, with angels seeking to help the mcs or limit their power and demons trying to stop them and aid the cult.
Had the idea from reading about Zen's focus on wordless, instantaneous transmission of knowledge through action and wondered if Christianity had any equivalent idea.

>implying the average adventuring party wouldn't be better used in gorilla warfare

Have the giants only between seven and nine feet.

For a groundhog day game you run it like any other mystery campaign, except it's extremely dense. All of the answers are right there but they aren't immediately available without the proper information or knowledge of a future event. Clues should allow them to dig deeper into the mystery so they. Plan for a lot of unique "endings" to the time loop depending on what the players did. The endings should give a hint on what to do,what not to do, a simple clue, or even a huge revealing answer. The more you put into the environment of the time loop the easier it gets.

It would also help to handle players doing things in strict units of time so they will always know when certain events are happening. It also makes it easier for them to solve how to get out since they know only so much can be done in a day.

I assume by this you mean the Wizard polymorphing everyone into gorillas.

SOMA did it well in my opinion. Mostly because it makes you suspicious of the main character's "existence" from the get go and establishes pretty early on that he's just a digital copy of a guy who died a century ago. And personally for me, I have read/watched/played media with the you're all fake twist but all of the best pieces of media that use that twist, use it in the beginning or the mid point rather than the end in my opinion.

I ran one once. That user is basically right You need to make a mystery, a deep one, to limit yourself to a relatively small locations where you have plotted the ins and outs and the puzzles and the agenda of everyone, and add a hundred failure states. Don't fear to kill your players, it's temporary!

In my games the players were 'invited' into a creepy/haunted mansion. As a small example, the butler that welcome them will try to put poison in their tea ; he is also a monster in disguise, and will reveal itself if attacked. But if not, he will try to keep the masquerade while finding ways to silently kill the PCs.

First three timeloops? Poisoned. The PCs are dead, they wake up at the beginning of the loop, they attack the butler, they get murdered, loop again, they try to escape, and they find that they will loop if the mansion goes too far.

The atmosphere of that first session was amazing, and it only went better when they discovered the traps, the strangeness, new rooms, new happenings, etc.

Whats an example of using it in the beginning or mid? Like they find out soon and deal with it, vs it being a surprise at the end?

The Matrix is the biggest example I can think of. It establishes that everyone is living in a fake world and are being harvested early on. It would not have been as good if Neo didn't see the outside world until the end. Seeing it early on gave him a clearer goal. It also deepens the idea of the world being fake as the viewer and him can see the world for what it really is.

I also think it works better early on in games particularly because it lets players build upon the event and make something of it, rather than "It was all fake. The end." An abrupt and jarring ending like that cheapens everything that happened because no matter what the players did, nothing mattered because it was all fake.

Ah okay, totally forgot about the matrix, yes you are right that is much better than the surprise twist ending especially in gaming. Now adding this back into OP's question, how do you put this to good use in a campaign, without of course just running the matrix.

One of my campaign ideas on the backburner is to basically rip off Majora's Mask. I feel like that would be the easiest way to do a groundhog's day plot in an RPG.

Just ask yourself some questions and it will flesh itself out on it's own.
>What has them in an eldritch dome? Is it a monster? Is it just an old experiment gone wrong and the computer is just running the algorithms on it's own?
>Why does it want them in an eldritch dome?
>Where are they in their real existence?
>What time period is it in their real existence?
>Can they escape?
>Can they destabilize it from the inside?
>Does anyone else know about their real existence?
>Does whatever that has them captured care if they try to escape or realize it's fake?
And I'm sure there's more you could ask yourself as you develop your ideas. And so long as you don't answer "The Matrix" to all the questions it should flesh itself out as something different.

"Reversed" courtship as a common part of (high) society.

Fighting a proper Collosus. Feels like you're either stuck with them hitting it like everything else or just rolling a couple skill checks to climb it and kill it

That's not a girl, user.

And?

Yes it is? That's the entire joke with her character

Sauce?

The False Hydra

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

The character that looks male but is not is Kashima. She's the "princess" and is very clearly a girl in the show but masculine in demeanor that makes them popular with girls.

Mil-spec air war in Shadowrun.

Thanks
I might check that out later

Handgonnes in DnD

I was trying to figure out how to give it the same "umph" that it had when it turned the medieval world on it's head, yet still give it enough of a challenge to not be totally game breaking. This was attempted by adding a fairly tricky reloading, aiming and hitting system, but I never really got around to figuring out all the details
This, plus magically enchanted/enhanced bullets/gunpowder

KYON KUN DENWA

>mystery campaign with a smallish group
>run a game
>foreshadow that other people in the general area of the mystery might also be investigating on the conspiracy, but that contacting them might be dangerous in case they're actually in on it or double-agents
>get to the third act
>schedule the meeting place and time and make sure that absolutely nobody can miss it
>invite the members of my OTHER smallish group to the same meeting place/time
>once everybody arrives, reveal that both groups' PCs have been investigating different parts of the same sinister plot
>combine both groups to form a relatively large one and run a hype as fuck finale that sees both groups using their newly combined intelligence, chutzpah, and brawn to thwart the bad guys
I keep thinking of details for the story, too, and it's terrible because I know I would never, ever, ever be able to pull it off.

Your image reminds me. I want skeletons as a PC race. It absolutely baffles me that they aren't as standard as haflings and elves at this point. I never thought we'd be able to play as fucking dragon-men with less DM bickering and homebrewing than skeletons. It's absurd.

Giants as part of an adventuring team is something I have recently been enjoying the idea of.

You could also just use "dungeon" lightly, and have open air dungeons, or really massive dungeons. One particular dungeon idea I have had for a long time is a massive ruined city inside a giant dome construction, and the city is completely flooded, so any adventurers would have to navigate toppled buildings and old architecture while avoiding the water as much as possible since the open areas of the ruins would be patrolled by horrible sea monsters.

I dont wanna sound like a shill or something, but look up The Adventure Zone, it's a pretty entertaining podcast about a D&D campaign, and one of the story arcs, The Eleventh Hour, is all about the party going to this town to find a powerful time controlling magic item, but when they get there, at 12 noon, the town is completely destroyed by something, only for the party to wake up at 11:00. The entire story arc is the party trying to figure out how to save the town and free it from this giant temporal bubble that has cut it off from the world, and they have only an hour, in game, to figure things out before they are killed and go back an hour to redo things.

Sadly the core of D&D even to this day pushes to keep undead in the "evil forever" category, even still saying Animate Dead is an evil spell despite it literally just being corpse puppetry. I doubt they would include skeletons or undead as a playable race outside of homebrewing, since the general theme of D&D is that undead are evil and mindless, and the ones that aren't are even more evil.

4e had Revenants. Of course, 4e made all the D&D traditionalists pull their hair out and scream bloody murder, so of course they had to get the axe.

Dragonborn, Tieflings, and Warlocks only managed to survive because they were so ridiculously popular that WotC was willing to enrage the grognards by keeping them.

They gave us Revenants, I don't think it's too much to ask to want the skin removed and the whole "you die after you do your thing" caveat removed.

This man is a genius of interior design. Listen to him.